Old 01-02-2005, 05:21 PM   #1  
Muffin Evergreen Diva

Default Back to Basics--January Edition

I'm going to jump on here to get things started. I'm not sure where Raven is, but I am sure once she logs on, she will get this started properly.

In short, as far as I know, we are all getting back to basics on what we need to live a healthy lifestyle. Not just lose weight, but also to regain ourselves and what it means for each of us to be happy.

For me, Back to Basics means the following:

1. Lose weight. I just want to be at a healthy weight for myself by the end of the year.

2. Spend more time doing fun things with my family.

3. Work on being a more positive person all around.

In January, I would like to lose an aggressive goal of 15 pounds. A realistic goal will be 10 pounds. Currently, I am at 232. I gained back after surgery, and haven't really done anything about it. 15 gone would put me one pound lower than my lowest at 217.

I am also on a "walking" group with a friend. My goal is to walk 3 miles a day, 5 days a week. That would be around 60 miles walked by the end of the month.

Alright, when Raven gets here, she can explain things better than I did!

Welcome newbies, welcome oldies.

Chach
Chachee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2005, 09:41 PM   #2  

Hello! I thought I might jump in with you guys for a while. I don't have a daily forum right now,and I think I might fit in here. I have to admit though, I'm being lured in by the quilting. Its something I've always wanted to do. I have 2 unfinished tops and a million ideas. I'd love to see photos of your finished work. Maybe we can even exchange some theme blocks!
But back to the real reason we are here....
For me, back to basics is:
1: Lose weight
2: Simplify, starting with major down load of clutter
3: Be more kind, less selfish

I'm hoping for a great year!

Mini goal: 5 pounds by Jan 17th, I'm going to Hawaii!
Apple Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2005, 05:51 AM   #3  

Good morning all. Thank you, Chachee for getting us started, and welcome to Apple Blossom.

I want to focus on the things that get me where I want to be - working out regularly, with weights. Drinking more water and less soda. Increasing my protein and veggies, and keeping to serving sizes of carbs. Spending time with my critters, family, friends, church. Living with faith, and without fear.

Here's to 2005. May it bring all of us to where we want and deserve to be.
jollygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2005, 05:55 AM   #4  
Never give up

S/C/G: 78 kg/71/65?

Height: 5'1.5"

Hi there Chachee, jolly! Thanks for starting up the new thread. I was wondering if Raven would start one or not. Glad you did. Raven will be sure to jump in soon. Rave! Where are you?

Apple Blossom. Welcome. I know you from another site a while back. How are you doing? Well, no quilting going on here but I like your second goal of downsizing the clutter. Oh, my, do I know what you're talking 'bout there!

I've been hanging out on the bulge thread but like the group here as well. Action got slow and I needed a kickstart. Back to basics is fine with me. The basics are always where you have to work from, aren't they.

I have lots of goals but for now, I'll just say that I want to get the body I want this year, in other words, a body I can honestly say I like.

Other goals I have to think of and will get back.

Hope every finds us here, Derry, happy, anyone I missed. Happy 2005! Please join us.

redballoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2005, 06:32 AM   #5  
Leaning out of Lurkdom ;)

Height: 5' 7"

its a new year, and yes i want to do somethings differently. but its not a new me i am looking for, i like me. but i will be a better me. my outside will mirror my inside. my energy and exhuberance will show in every part of me. my head is always spinning with ideas. my eyes shine with excitement, my smile could light up a room, its contagious! and my laughter and quirky ways could lift you from a mile away! this is the year that everything from the neck down will emulate the rest of me.ts a process, something i learned in 2004. somedays i will have more engery and some days less. but i will use each day to its advantage! i know me and there will be days that all i want to do is stay in bed. okies and so..... there is nothing stopping me from sliding my hands beneath my bum and doing some small leg lifts or stretching, or deep breathing exercises, journaling. nurturing myself on the down days, making a plan for the following day. on the days i could tackle the world, i will! i will do that extra set of crunches, or break my walks up with an added burst. i dont know what yet, just that i will take full advantage and going the extra mile.

Happy New Year Ladies....... and Happy Birthday Hippy!! ( i know your still reading us...how could you not be ~winks n grinz~)

sincerely,
sassy
sweetnsassyfied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2005, 09:31 AM   #6  

Hi There!

Can I join in? I know Jolly and Happy, and I hung out with y'all very, very briefly several months ago. Went through a rough spot in my life....am now up to my highest weight ever....and it's time to get a brand new start, move forward, take good care of me and work hard toward achieving my goals. I'm still defining my non-weight goals. But as for my weight goals, my Back to Basics approach is this:

1. Move every day - even if it's just for 15, 20 or 30 minutes. Any movement is better than nothing and I'll gradually increase the amount and intensity.
2. Start viewing sweets and fattening foods as OCCASIONAL treats and not as snacks to have many times a day!
3. Drink water!
4. Eat veggies and fruit
5. Be more aware of what I put in my body and in other choices I make, and make healthier choices.

I also want to find more balance in my life -- meaning spending more time with my family and friends, and finding something joyful in every day.

Sassy -- I really liked the way you put it. And I totally agree. I, too, feel the inner me has energy and exuberance and excitement and is full of joie de vive, and it's time for me to make the outer "me" mirror the inner me.

Happy new year, ladies!
michellez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2005, 01:01 PM   #7  

Hi all. Welcome back Sassy and Michelle. I need a small pat on the back today. I am at work, on a payroll Monday, after a total of 1 1/2 hours sleep. Half an hour before I got called in to go the ER with a client, and an hour afterwards. Overtired is one (of the many) thing that makes me eat. I am not making the healthiest choices, but I am working to find a balance between my body's need for fuel to stay awake, and health. I got some baked chips. I did get a doughnut, but got that instead of a big bag of chocolate. And I had packed some soup to make, but am just too tired to cook it. So, I was going to McDonald's for a super extra value meal - instead I got a Caesar salad. I know these were still not the healthiest choices, but they were better. I know what I really need is sleep, not sugar. Unfortunately, sleep is not an option for another 8 hours. So, I really need a shout out from you all, and an "E" for effort.

Thanks.
Old 01-03-2005, 02:12 PM   #8  
Muffin Evergreen Diva

Good morning, everyone! Wanted to say hello to Michelle and Apple. Michelle, I remember you from posting awhile ago. Apple, we always welcome new friends to our circle.

Jolly: I'm sending you very big "basic" hugs and pats on the back. The hardest things to change are the small, "mindless" things. Sure, it's easy to take an easy route, made one bad choice of food in the morning and then say "Oh, forget it, I'll just restart tomorrow". No, instead you realized that yes, you had the donut, but instead of the Big Mac attack, you made a healthy choice, and one that your body needed. That is so very important and one of the small changes we can all make to make it easier to attain our goals. Very good job for you. I know you will do so well the rest of the day, week, month and year.

Sassy: Welcome back. You know, I have so missed you and your witty ways. How is married life treating you? I'm sure by the end of the year your outside will match your radiant inside.

Red: Welcome to the new thread. I'm sure this year will be the year for you.

Hi to Raven, Happy, Hippy, Derry and everyone else.

I did well this morning on the treadmill, even with battling this flu bug. Did 2.89 miles. I'm keeping track of my exercise miles this year. Big goal is to do 90 a month. May take a few months to work up to that.

Happy Monday!

Chach
Chachee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2005, 02:24 PM   #9  

Hey Jolly --

Good for you for making better food choices! Sending you a big pat on the back and a great big E for effort!
Old 01-03-2005, 02:46 PM   #10  
Never give up

Jolly, another great big E for effort from me as well and a big hand. Lack of sleep, wanting to sleep and not being able to is probably the biggest obstacle to eating right. I feel for you. You made a tremendous effort and succeeded. The one little donut, in light of what it could be, makes it an excellent choice. We're not always given much of a choice, are we?, and we have to make the best of the ones we have.

More power to you!
Old 01-03-2005, 07:32 PM   #11  

Thank you so much for the support, ladies. it means so much, and each success helps make the next obstacle easier to overcome. I did make it to the gym tonight. Just did cardio, but as my goal is to do weights 3-4 times a week, I am still ok. Chachee, a huge congrats to you too, for hitting the treadmill even despite not feeling 100% yet. As long as you listen to what your body can handle, that is great. REd, Micchelle, Apple, I hope to hear great things as you work towards your 2005 goals.
Old 01-03-2005, 09:26 PM   #12  
Never give up

Thumbs up

Jolly, glad to be of help. How did you ever make it to the gym after that as well?! You are amazing!

And how about our other regulars? Raven, happy, derry, where are you?!?!?!

Last edited by redballoon; 01-03-2005 at 09:32 PM.
Old 01-04-2005, 09:18 AM   #13  

Woooo Hoooo! Got some great news last night. Shortly before Christmas, I entered a contest that a local gym was having. It's a contest where they're going to have two teams compete to see which team will lose the most weight. I entered both my husband and I -- had to write in 100 words or less why we want to lose weight and why we will be committed to doing so. And we both won! We'll be on different teams, so we'll be competing against each other. Since we were both selected, we each get a two month membership to the gym, 24 60-90 minute group personal training sessions, weekly fitness assessments, and 2 consultations with a dietician.

I was considering signing up for a gym (again), but was wary about spending the money unless I knew that I was going to use it. Well, being selected for this contest means that I get to see if going to a gym regularly works for me and I don't have to pay for it.

I'm so happy that my husband and I both won. It will be so good for us, as we both need to lose weight. It's only two months, so I'm not expecting miracles...but even if I can lose 15 pounds, that would be awesome! Our first meeting is Monday, and I'm very excited!

Jolly -- Congrats to you for making it to the gym! Espcially after being sleep deprived and exhausted!! Your dedication really inspires me!

Red -- You are so right. We're not always given great options, but our challenge is to make the best choices possible.

Well, I'm really swamped at work. In fact I'll probably have to work late....so I'd better get started.

Here's to a great Tuesday!
Old 01-04-2005, 09:22 AM   #14  

Good morning all. I hope we hear from Raven, Happy, Hippee, Lucky, Derry soon too. How did I make it to the gym, Red? I think I sleepwalked Seriously though, doing the elliptical trainer is pretty mindless - just left right left right. Even if I don't push myself, I still burn more calories than lying in bed. I just didn't want to try and lift weights when I was that tired - I was afraid i would lose form and hurt something. How have you been? How's the job? You keep mentioning going to Tokyo, covering races, etc? Do you focus just on racing, or sports, or what??

Michelle, how are you today? Chachee, did you make it to the treadmill? Appleblossom, Sassy - how are you all too??

Have a great day all. I am off to work.
Old 01-04-2005, 10:03 AM   #15  
Leaning out of Lurkdom ;)

Height: 5' 7"

hello ladies, wow such exciting news wtg Michelle!! you and hubby will make for some very inspirational reading. i cant wait and am exctied for you both. i am counting down the minutes to head off to the fitness center kitty corner from me. weighing the pros and cons and going to see what kind of deal i can negotiate. for instance i have guests from the states that fly over for anywhere from 2 weeks to a month. i want my guests to be able to join me if they so choose. dont mind paying extra but i am not buying a full membership either for them. biggest perk is that they are sooooooo close, warm up walk there and cool down walk back. major con is the hours, they open after 4 pm. the concensus is........ i can adjust. ~crosses the parts she still can and smiles bravely~

anyhoo after reading how good everyone was doing i thought i would pop by and post pick-me up smile. i dont know who wrote it or i would give them credit.. its hillarious........shhhhhhhhhhh i tweeked the last two paragraphs of this poem ~winks n grinz~

The Diet After Christmas!!

Twas the day after Christmas, and all through the house
Nothing would fit me, not even a blouse.
The cookies I'd nibbled, the eggnog I'd taste
At the holiday parties had gone to my waist.

When I got on the scales there arose such a number!
When I walked to the store (less a walk than a lumber).
I'd remember the marvelous meals I'd prepared;
The gravies and sauces and beef nicely rared,

The wine and the rum balls, the bread and the cheese
And the way I'd never said, "No thank you, please."
As I dressed myself in my husband's old shirt
And prepared once again to do battle with dirt---

I said to myself, as I only can
"You can't spend a winter disguised as a man!"
So--away with the last of the sour cream dip,
Get rid of the fruit cake, every cracker and chip

Every last bit of food that I like must be banished
"Till all the additional ounces have vanished.
I won't have a cookie--not even a lick.
I'll want only to chew on a long celery stick.

I wont have hot biscuits, or corn bread, or pie,
I'll munch on a carrot with a gleam in my eye.
I'm hopeful, its awesome, I'm ready to soar.....
But isnt that what January is for?

Able to giggle, no longer so quiet.
Happy New Year to all and to all a great diet!

sincerely,
sassy

Last edited by sweetnsassyfied; 01-04-2005 at 10:06 AM.
sweetnsassyfied is offline   Reply With Quote