Old 01-02-2005, 11:49 AM   #1  

Default LAWL & Friends - January 2005

Welcome to the new year! Whether your diet resolution is a new one or a carry-over from the year(s) past, we welcome you and look forward to your company on our journey to thin!

Don't forget LAWL Biggest Loser starts up again tomorrow.

See you all later - I've got a house to sell (I hope!)

Fiona
vibrantecho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2005, 02:08 PM   #2  

Can you fill me in on the LAWL Biggest Loser?

Thanks for the new thread...that other one was getting a bit out of control.
Jibbelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2005, 05:29 PM   #3  
191.8/168.2/160

The BL contest is just a contest between the posters on this board for a week to see who is the Biggest Loser!

Just for fun.
Tams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2005, 06:33 PM   #4  

Welcome Roxy and Maria - hope you found this thread that Tams and I directed you over to. It's a very active thread during the week. Good Luck to both of you. I'm starting off this new year like a newbie myself. I'm doing the 1st day of 2 day take off.

Fiona: How was your opened house today? Meet any new prespective buyers? Thanks for starting the new thread. The "red" drink that you mentioned in the last post sounds yummy. What was the name again?

Julie: Hang in there. We will both make it to goal this year, sooner than later! I'm determined! We can push each other along!

Happy New Year to all, Sy
SyracuseNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2005, 06:43 PM   #5  

Default LAWL and Sodium

Can anyone tell me the importance of low sodium. For instance I thought I was doing well using frozen chicken breasts that contained 400 mg of sodium. I was eating them regularly and gaining weight!!!! The fresh ones are 35 mg of sodium. What is up with this???

Roxy
roxy52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2005, 06:50 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 205/153.8/140

Default I'm back....

Good Evening Chicks!

Well, I am back. Did you miss me?!?! he he.. Florida was great. Chillly and rainy the whole time, but very relaxing. Then I was home for a few days before flying up to boston for the New year's weekend. I returned home this afternoon. Needless to say, for the last week and a half, I have not been OP at all. Sy~I am with you.. I know I need to get in there and face up to the gain, but I might wait until Wednesday to give myself a few days of being OP first. But then again, maybe if I go in on Monday, it will scare me back into being good again! Although I have not eaten correctly, I have of course been running my legs off! The 1/2 marathon is a week from today. Which really means that I can't be POP until next monday, cause on Friday and Saturday of this week, I will be loading up on Carbs!! YUMMY Of course awesome counselor knows about this.. which is why I purchased 30 more weeks to loose 30 pounds. As I have my good weeks and bad weeks.

I really need to get some things taken care of around here, but I promise to post more in the AM!

HAPPY NEW YEAR to all of you!
Meegs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2005, 07:07 PM   #7  
191.8/168.2/160

Does anyone know how many eggs constitutes 1 protein?
Tams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2005, 07:42 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 233.9/143/160

Height: 5'7"

roxy-sodium can cause health problems if consumed in excess. For weight, too much sodium can cause you to hold a little water-although unless you are eating massive quantities of sodium you shouldn't really be holding more than a couple pounds of it from too much sodium.

If the chicken breast situation was before you started LAWL, I would imagine the sodium was not the only factor that contributed to your weight gain. You have to eat healthier choices-but you also still have to take in slightly less calories than you burn each day for effective weight loss. If this indeed was the case-it was probably a combination of too much sodium and improper portion control/too many calories.

BTW-I like the new thread being called "January" instead of a number. I may have to do that on my "home" thread as well.
aphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2005, 09:24 PM   #9  

Hey everyone (again)!

The Open went okay - I had just one couple stop in, which wasn't too bad considering there was NFL football on for the first two hours. I discovered (actually I think I knew this already) I need to learn to be a little more assertive in getting people's contact info! This couple seemed to really like the house, and I found out they are definitely planning on purchasing in that town, AND they have a house to sell first...but I let them go without getting any names! Oh well, it was good practice, and there are only a few houses for sale in that particular area so there's still a chance things might go my way.

Marcie - some of us on here are avid followers of the "Biggest Loser" TV show, so several weeks back we decided to hold our own "BL" contest each week, to celebrate the Chick that loses the most from Monday to Monday. So if you want "in," just post your beginning weight for the week after you weigh in (center or home is okay) on Monday, then remember to post again at the end of the week. The BL gets to be the "queen" for the week!

Roxy - Hi! I'm glad you found us!!! You will hear lots of testimonials to the importance of watching your sodium intake here! Aphil is correct that from a "dieting" standpoint, sodium is a concern because it can cause you to retain water (as well as the long term effects of a high sodium diet!). For the average person, the half a pound or pound that might show up on the scale a day or two after indulging in a salty treat isn't a huge concern, but of course, when you're focusing on fractions of a pound at a time, losing 4/10 of a pound is cause for celebration and at the same time, gaining 4/10 is tragic! So you'll see that avoiding sodium in all its forms - low sodium tuna, no "cured" foods like bacon, sausage, ham, no commercially produced soup - is something that LAWL promotes strongly. BTW, how long have you been doing LAWL - are you a veteran, or are you just checking it out, or somewhere in between?

Tams - according to my purple card, 3 large eggs equal one protein. However, I'm still on the "old" plan and they are a 2x/week limited, so I don't know if they went unlimited on the "new" plan or not, or if maybe they changed the servings...?

I'm off to the grocery store to see if they have the Knudsen's juice or something comparable. If I don't go now, I know I'll forget AGAIN! I'll probably check in again right before bed to see if there are any new posts, otherwise I'll "talk" to you gals tomorrow!

Fiona
Old 01-02-2005, 09:41 PM   #10  

What is LAWL?
ndenial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2005, 10:31 PM   #11  

I found the juice! Sy - it's you and me on TO this week! Good luck to us!

Fiona
Old 01-02-2005, 10:34 PM   #12  

LA Weight Loss - LAWL - is a diet program similar to Weight Watchers or Jenny Craig. You eat a restricted range of lower-fat, lower calorie foods and check in at a local center 1-3 times a week to "weigh in" and receive advice and counseling on your diet efforts. the website if you want to learn more is www.laweightloss.com.

Fiona
Old 01-03-2005, 07:00 AM   #13  

Good Morning. Sorry I have not had the nerve to update my ticker yet - maybe I won't have to after Take Off. Keep your fingers crossed for me! So far, so good.

Welcome newbies.

Fiona, I don't know how you can have the energy to go out to the grocery store at 9:30pm, but good for you and cheers (with juice of course). My DH and I sometimes visit open houses - it's fun. I hate having to give my name as I'm not an honest prospective buyer and I feel like I'd be wasting the Realtor's time - of course, you never know what could happen if the 'right' house was on the market.

Roxy: I thought that I was very sensitive to sodium - and when I first started LA - my hands and feet would swell up after using the Morton's Lite - so I think my sensitivity is more to the potassium stuff that they put in stuff. Man, it's in everything from Crystal Lite to the Free and Clear drink from WalMart. Also is many prepared and frozen foods. I know for myself that I have to stay away from that stuff. LA told me not to use the Morton's Lite and they noted it on my chart so no one hassels in for not having it. You know what else has lots of sodium/potassium in it - those roasted chickens you get in the grocery stores. We have 3 different stores in this area, and I can only eat the chicken from 1 of them. Lots of places 'brine' the chicken (and other meats) before cooking which means they soak it in some sort of sodium solution to make it tender and juicy. The other thing I can't have is pork that is sold by Hormel. Chock full of whatever cases my body to freak out and swell up (but hard to find real fresh pork in some stores). I've learned so much about my body since being on LA.

Well, have a great day to everyone.

Sy
SyracuseNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2005, 07:22 AM   #14  

GOOOOOD morning all!

I dont have much to report...but I thought I would post a couple more recipes for those that dont have the cookbook.

Today's Theme: Veggies!

Stir Fry Vegetables
2 Vegetables

1 cup asparagus
1/4 cup water
1/4 teaspoon Herbox very low sodium chicken bouillon
½ tablespoon cornstarch
½ tablespoon cold water
1 cup fresh mushrooms, sliced

· Cut asparagus diagonally into ½ inch pieces. Mix 1/4 cup water and bouillon (dry); reserve. Mix cornstarch and cold water; reserve.
· Spray skillet with Pam and heat over medium high heat.
· Add asparagus and mushrooms; stir fry until asparagus is crisp tender, about 3 minutes. Stir in bouillon mixture; bring to boil.
· Stir cornstarch mixture; cook and stir until thickened about 10 seconds.

Asparagus with Dijon Sauce
1 Vegetable

1 cup asparagus spears
1/4 cup Herbox very low sodium chicken broth
2 teaspoon Dijon mustard or tarragon Dijon mustard
1 tablespoon grated reduced-fat Romano cheese

· Break of woody ends off asparagus and place in skillet.
· Pour broth over asparagus. Cover and steam over medium heat until crisp-tender, about 4 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, move asparagus to warm serving plate to keep warm.
· Add mustard to skillet; increase heat to high and bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Pour over asparagus; then sprinkle with cheese.

Herbed Green Beans
2 Vegetables

1 cup fresh green beans
1 tablespoon snipped parsley
14 teaspoon dried basil leaves
1/4 teaspoon dried oregano leaves
1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper
1 tomato cut into 1 inch pieces
1 clove garlic, finely chopped

· Prepare whole green beans by steaming or microwaving.
· Heat skillet sprayed with Pam.
· Cook and stir remaining ingredients until tomatoes are soft.
· Stir in beans. Cook, stirring occasionally, just until beans are hot, 1-2 minutes.

Sweet and Sour Cabbage
2 Vegetables, 1 Fat

1 cup cabbage, shredded
1/4 cup Sugar Twin brown sugar
1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
½ cup water
1/4 cup vinegar
1/8 teaspoon pepper
5 green onions, sliced
1 tablespoon diet margarine

· Prepare and cook shredded cabbage. Melt diet margarine. Stir brown sugar and flour into melted margarine. Stir in water, vinegar, pepper and onion.
· Cook, stirring frequently, until mixture thickens, about 5 minutes.
· Stir sauce mixture in hot cabbage in saucepan, heat through.

Last edited by Jibbelle; 01-03-2005 at 07:25 AM.
Jibbelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2005, 09:13 AM   #15  
One meal at a time!

S/C/G: 198/185/130

Height: 5' 2"

Good Morning to all (new and old)
Well, I didn't do so well on my time off. New Year's Eve, I had 4 drinks, and a whole bunch of off plan foods. Then, New Year's Day I had pork and all the traditional good luck foods, plus dessert. Then yesterday it started out at a breakfast buffet and ended with steak and seafood with alot of cajun spice and oh yeah dessert. So needless to say, I got on the scales this morning, and was I ever up. (176.4 ) I weighed 168.4 Thursday morning. I'm assuming this is due to over indulgence in the food plus all the sodium. I'll probably drop 5 pounds by tomorrow. So anyway, I have adjusted my ticker (although I didn't want to) and I'm back on plan. Thank God the holidays are over. I can handle Valentine's Day when it get's here so I'm not too worried about that.
I was suppose to be off today and tomorrow but there was a death in the co-worker's family. I'm suppose to be off Wednesday and Thursday and then of course I'll have to work the weekend.
We finally have all the boxes (about 30-35) moved into the house and ready to be unpacked, when I get time. So that will officially move us all in when that's done. We had a productive weekend with cleaning out the storages.
Well, I guess this is all for now but I'll check in later. I hope everyone has a great POP day.
Karen is offline   Reply With Quote