Old 12-19-2004, 08:27 AM   #1  
Baby Steps

Default Confused

I know I should probably read the book and get this answer. But thought maybe someone here would know faster than it'd take me to find my book The question is:

If calories count when you're getting towards goal weight...how the devil can you add carbs and get a higher carb count?

Also: If every time you add carbs you quit losing weight..does that mean you can't add more carbs or just not those types??

The reason I ask is because it seems whenever I add carbs (nuts) I quit losing weight. It's what had me frustrated into cheating all the time. Also, discovered if I cut down on what I eat (portion size) I lose more weight. But if I continue to cut down on what I eat, then I won't be eating anything at all by the time I really DO get to my goal weight. And of course we all know THAT isn't good. So where's the answer in my confused mind??
lady_adnerb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2004, 10:17 AM   #2  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

Brenda, in order to increase your carbs but keep your calories low is to add more veggies to your diet. I don't think there's anything else that is quite effective as that. Veggies are so low in calories and will easily and slowly allow you to add in the right # of carbs (and it allows you to eat alot!! and feel full). Just think, if your swapping food (for caloric reasons) you could minus one slice of cheese from your diet and add in a few cups of veggies But don't forget to take your calcium pills, calcium is vital at our age (really any age).

Also, you might want to add in whole grain products like 1 slice of 100% whole wheat bread/day, maybe some beans (you gotta read the cans). Its a learning process.

Now if you didn't care about calories you could add just about anything else in like cheeses, processed meats, lots of whole grain products, etc.

I know veggies isn't the answer you wanna hear but thats what the book says to do.

Good luck !!!!

Leenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2004, 08:38 AM   #3  
Baby Steps

I love veggies. I was just curious how this was going to work. I stalled out last time and only figured out by cutting down on what I ate is when I started to lose again. I figured what's the point of losing all this weight if by the time I get done I'm down to eating nothing and starve myself to death. That isn't an option!! So I need to dig out my book I guess
lady_adnerb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2004, 10:01 AM   #4  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

Don't forget, you can add fruits as well
Leenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2004, 01:53 PM   #5  

I'm not doing Atkins- just low carb (40- 60 total carbs a day) and when I go over I tend to maintain or gain 1 lb but fruits, although high in carbs- they're the right carbs, oranges, apples... (today was the first time in a long time I had an orange so I can't tell you if I'll gain or lose)
KandiceS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2004, 03:54 PM   #6  

Brenda,

That's a good question. I'm not really sure actually. And, after a few years of being on and off Atkins, I have to say I am not certain why it works. For me, it seems to work simply because it allows me to manage my calorie intake without being hungry or feeling too deprived. What I mean is that if I eat 200 calories worth of eggs for breakfast, I'm good till lunch. However if I eat 200 calories worth of nutragrain bar or something, I'd be climbing the walls before lunch! So, it allows me to keep things in check, and forces me to eat more protein and veggies, while avoiding the nasty high carb, high calorie stuff. The result for me is a better balanced, lower calorie diet.

But, you're right that you can only cut calories so much and you don't want to be in a starvation mode, because that's not good for your metabolism. It seems to me you have to be very careful on both portions and carbs, and try to strike a balance between losing weight and not overdoing it by starving yourself. You're lucky because you're so close to your goal, but I bet its frustrating because it seems to be moving slowly. Are you incorporating exercise? That's my secret weapon because I'd rather sweat a little bit and burn off extra calories, rather than cut them out of my diet.

Congrats, though! You're so close! Keep it up!
CPgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2004, 01:01 AM   #7  
Proud Mama

You know, I didn't read what the other ladies said, but works for great maintainging is doing the carbohydrate addicts thing. Or just up your carbs by having more half green veggies, half protien, higher fat. That way your low calorie and low carb, but not low fat.
Uggamugga4 is offline   Reply With Quote