Old 12-18-2004, 12:43 PM   #1  
baygurl

S/C/G: 326/See ticker/170

Height: 5 9

Angry getting frustrated

I have been working my butt off since september and have only lost 8 pounds and 20 inches,my problem is Im not eating enough or drinking my water,im trying on my 4th glass of water now,but I have no appetite,and have to force myself to eat,then their is low carb,low fat,calories it all makes my head spin.Could you give me a sample menue of how much to eat a day and should I watch calories or carbs?
baygurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2004, 06:40 PM   #2  
PamPSM644

Hon, I can only tell you whats been working for me and I've lost 60lbs sence Aug.I spent most of Aug on a carb diet which started out fine but quit on me. Once I switched to low cals it's been full speed ahead. I keep a journal,very important,listing all my cals for each meal. I try to stay at around 1000 a day and I walk 30 min every morning.It works and you'll :merry: notice a differance after the first week. I weigh once a week and record that with my cals in my journal.
PamPSM644 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2004, 07:10 PM   #3  
Serious Ju Ju!

S/C/G: 260/see ticker /175

Height: 5 10 ( I hate being taller than all the cute guys!!!)

Hi Dawn,

20 inches is nothing to sneeze at! Weight loss isn't always measured in pounds lost. Inches lost is also a great indicator.

I started low carb (Under 20 grams a day) in June. To date, I have lost 80 pounds. I know lc doesn't work for everyone. The trick is to find what works for you ans stick with it. If I can lose weight, so can you! Pick a plan and stick to it. You can do this!
seashell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2004, 09:17 PM   #4  

20 inches!!!!!!!!! That is great.
As far as the eight pounds go, you can't always go by the scale because muscle weighs more than fat but in exchange you also burn more calories with muscles.

I'm trying my hand at creating my own food menu. It is a lot harder than you would think. In the morning I'll have plain shredded wheat cereal or eggs and toast or grits and cheese. (Since TOM's been in town, I've only had fruit in the morning, anything else makes me feel sluggish.) I'll have a sandwich or soup for lunch and then a big salad with lots of veggies and little bit of meat (i.e. chicken or seafood) for dinner and I'll snack on fruit and crackers, nuts, chips (I know...) through out the day if I'm hungry.

I know this plan needs some work but that's why I visit 3fc to look for ideas. I also search the internet. If you go to the slimfast website it will do up a meal plan for you according to the calorie limit you set (using their products of course), however, you can substitute meals for their shakes etc. It will at least give you a start.

Also you can find a pretty good article on the the food pyramid at the pueblo site.
http://www.pueblo.gsa.gov/cic_text/f...ramid/main.htm
It talks about the food groups and how many servs of each you need. This is a good starting place. Of course you can adjust according to your taste, needs, etc.
If you can afford to maybe you could look into talking to a registered dietician. I've never been to one except for the Jenny Craig consultants but I assume part of their job is to help you create a workable meal plan.

Hopefully some of this helps. The main thing to keep in mind is that your food plan should be realistic enough that you can stick with it for the rest of your life. Losing weight is only the beginning. Once you are down to the weight you want you have to think about maintaining that weight and that begins with having a healthy food plan in place.

Don't give up. Eventually it'll all come together
dharmaspell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2004, 12:12 AM   #5  

Heya Dawn, I'm a little concerned about what I am reading. Please correct me if I am not getting this correct. If you are having a hard time eating because you have no appetite your body is probably going into starvation mode because it is not getting enough calories from your intake of food. It is important to try to consume enough calories so that the body does not do just the opposite of what you want it to do. This losing weight business is very tricky. 20 inches is awesome though!! That is something to be very proud of. Don't let the numbers get you to down.

I watch my calories. I allow myself around 1200 calories a day and jack that up to about 1500 calories if I do a whole lot of exercise. I basically follow more of a food pyramid diet. That way I am eating healthy and my body is getting everything it basically needs. So, I base my meals around those numbers. Here is just an example of what I might eat in a day.

Breakfast: 1 cup healthy cereal, 1/2 cup milk, and a piece of fruit. You could also make a really good omelette with egg beaters and add some goodies to it for about the same amount of calories as cereal and milk.

Lunch: Big salad alot of times. I get sick of salad though. Sometimes I have eaten so much of it I can't bear to have another one. So, in that case I love to eat vegetables. Steamed or however you want to prepare them. You can have a sandwhich or something else with that. Stick to whole grain breads and lean meats though. Remember that most veggies are pretty low in calories and you can eat alot of them.

Dinner: Some kind of stir fried meat. I stir fry almost any meat I eat. It is quick. I don't add oil or anything. Just heat it and throw it in. I have a very moderate portion of meat and have big portions of whatever veggies I want to have that night.

For snacks sugar-fatfree pudding is good. I love fruit so I eat that also. I like low-fat popcorn. There are many more but for some reason since I am trying to think about them I am drawing a stupid blank.

I hope that helps just a little bit. I know this all can be really confusing and it is true that you have to find what works for you best. All these plans don't always work the same for each individual person. Lots of trial and error. Good luck!! It will come together. It just takes some time and patience.
Tammy32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2004, 10:18 AM   #6  
baygurl

Thanks for all of your imput you are all doing a great job keep up the good work .Dharmaspell I am going to check out those websites right now thankyou for posting them for me,I realize that I have to put as much effort into eating healthy as I have been in exercising if I want to see better results.Take care and god bless:merry:
Old 12-19-2004, 12:23 PM   #7  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

Hi Dawn,

WOW !! 8 Lbs is WONDERFUL in my book..... BRAVO!!!!

I can understand your frustrations of wanting to lose faster but in all honesty, slow is good for the body and any weight loss to me, is marvelous. We didn't gain weight over night and its not going to come off that way either.

I know you don't think so but I think your doing terrific !!! Just think, 1 lb a week is 52 a YEAR !! wholey smokes and in that time, you are learning new and wonderful eating habbits and thats the main thing you want to accomplish.... just think, a life time of great eating habbits.

Hugs and kisses to you, your on your way, one day at a time

Love, Leenie
Leenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2004, 04:01 PM   #8  
baygurl

Thanks leenie for your praise and encouragement.I know 8 pounds is better than nothing,but in the last month I lost 0 pounds.And when you go to a club 5-6 times per week trying to burn those calories you get discouraged when you dont see any progress.
I think I'm going to change to short term goals,a week at a time,instead of weighing in every month.The first week I do good but then I slowly start to ignore my eating habits and by the end of the month,I'm not seeing the progress I expect.I will start weighing in every week to keep me motivated to do just as good the next week.Hope it works.
Old 12-20-2004, 10:22 AM   #9  
Moderator & Happy Chick

I think thats a good plan Dawn. Don't forget, if your exercising like crazy, your probably gaining muscle which in the long run, helps you burn more calories AND is wonderful for the bones, not to mention the rest of your innards DON'T STOP!!

Dieting is a wonderful learning process, you are learning what your body is capable of. I know for me, I have to eat no more than 1400 calories or I do not lose anything, what so ever. Because my metabolism is so sluggish, my best #'s are 1200 calories and then I see great results. Try eating like 1800 calories one week, if you see no loss, go to 1600 the next week, and so on. But !!! please don't go to low w/calories, because you know what happens then. What plan are you following ? If I could suggest something to you, that would be just eat sensible. Eat what you like, but try to modify it to be healthier, for instance, instead of eating a burger w/fries, try a nice chicken burger, or veggie burger on a whole grain roll with a handful of baked home maded fries Fruits and veggies are the way to go !! I did the low carb thingy and well, I'm back where I started. I learned that the diet I lose weight on, is the one I'll have to live with for the rest of my life. I just can't imagine life without some whole wheat english muffing Now, I know alot of folks that LC works excellent for and I'm very envious that they can do it, wish I could, so if you feel its for you, try it! WW has a great LC plan as well.

My sister was 400+ lbs and just her changing her eating habbits has caused her to lose over 100 lbs in a year and 1/2. She is now 280 lbs I'm so proud of her. She eats 3 x a day and eats very sensible, drinks water and adds more activity into her day.

I feel alot of determination in your posts.... your gonna do it !
Old 12-20-2004, 05:26 PM   #10  
baygurl

Thanks for the word of encouragment Leenie,I did eat more yesterday,had a bagel and tea for breakfast,a salad at lunch,some meat pie for dinner,an orange about 3 hours later and had a sandwich at around 9 pm I managed to drink 7 glasses of water too.
This morning I had my bagel and felt really bad,had pains in my stomach,cramping and bloating,felt like I had to use the bathroom all day.I have IBS and I think eating so much yesterday when my body isn't use to it really through my system into a tailspin.So of course feeling so bad,I had my breakfast and never ate again until 5:30 this evening because my stomach was so miserable.
I will get my water in today and tomorrow I will try to eat more again,hopefully It doesn't make me feel sick.
Old 12-20-2004, 11:04 PM   #11  

Hi Dawn,

I was told by an obesity researcher to eat breakfast like a queen, lunch like a princess and dinner like a pauper. In other words, heavier meals earlier in the day and light evening meals with nothing after 6:00 pm. Anything eaten later in the evening goes directly to fat versus being burned off.

If you are not feeling hungry and your body is not feeling well, maybe you would like to follow up with your Dr.? I agree that an 8 lb. loss is fantastic and 20 inches is also wonderful. Celebrate your success, love yourself and feed your body healthy things - it deserves it and so do you. You are on your way, keep on going - we can do this together.

Jenaya
297/271/170
Jenaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2004, 12:40 PM   #12  

Jenaya, do you find it hard to make your evening meal the lightest? It is so hard for me. I know that logically it makes tons of sense to approach eating with the heaviest being in the morning but it sure is hard to break the habit of a lifetime of eating the heaviest meal in the evening. I know that eating like that is one way I could drastically improve my weight loss, but I just find it so difficult.
Tammy32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2004, 04:52 PM   #13  
baygurl

I too eat my heaviest meals at dinner,have been doing it for years.I't is now 5:50 pm and all I had today was luch,I ate a left over chicken breast,got some water into me though.
Have to go to the hospital with my father in the morning,for surgery on his knee and I know If I eat now,tomorrow my stomach will be a mess,so just to make sure I'm not pushing it today.
Old 12-23-2004, 07:53 PM   #14  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Tammy I find it very difficult to keep my dinners light, like you said habbits. Years ago I lost 150 lbs, kept it off for over 10+ years. I would eat lightly for breakfast and lunch and my heavy meal was dinner, it carried me thru the night w/out cheating. I really need to get back into that way of eating b/c I have gained ALOT back, I have 80 to lose

Dawn hope your Dad's surgery went well and you are feeling better.

HUGS!