Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 12-16-2004, 10:28 AM   #1  

Default Summer Clothes...Let's discuss!

I'm curious how everyone else feels about having to wear spring/summer clothes or even bathing suits (!) before they reach their goal weight-loss? I don't even like trying spring clothes on in the dressing room so going out in public in the warmer months is even more stressful. Any tips? Does anyone else dread summer? Let's discuss!
maxbauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2004, 11:44 AM   #2  
Megan

S/C/G: 200/138/133

Height: 5'5"

I have always hated wearing shorts... it doesnt matter what my weight is, I HATE THEM! does anyone look good in them? i'm not sure. I would love to be one of those girls who can throw on a pair of shorts, tank top and flip flops and look good, but i dont think that is going to happen anytime soon.

i do love summer clothes, especially capris, although I am not quite confident enough to wear all the things that i love to wear - especially tank tops because my arms are not exactly where i want them (or anywhere close). i really think that most women look really good in a nice pair of capris and a tshirt (or a tank top and cardigan for business casual).

bathing suits ? shoot me. i wonder why the lighting is so harsh in stores, when i am trying on bathing suits i practically see THROUGH my skin at all of the cellulite. it is ridiculous. why don't they have full length mirrors on the beach so i can see what i look like to all of the other people?

i am going to aruba in may and i am working my BUTT OFF to look decent in a bathing suit. i dont think i will be at goal (maybe), i just want to be able to get up from my chair and walk over to the pool without feeling self conscious.

so yes... spring and summer are a bit stressful!
NYCT1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2004, 03:07 PM   #3  

Default summer shorts

Thanks TannyMc. I despise wearing shorts too. I think I only own one pair. I prefer long skirts since they mask more.

Does anyone else have any feedback...It is only fair to add that I work as a magazine editor. I'm always curious about how real women and dieters feel about their bodies. I'm trying to figure out what concerns women most about summer clothing so I can propose some story ideas to my editor. So please feel free to share your insights. (And if you'd like to be in a diet success story, let me know!) Thanks ladies and good luck with your goals.
maxbauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2004, 07:54 PM   #4  
Blonde Bimbo

S/C/G: 250+/144/135

Height: 5' 4"

Hint on shorts. I hated it that every pair of shorts over size 18 came with elephant legs, and every tank top had arm holes down to my belly button. I was disgusted looking through shorts to try and find a pair with straight legs, that didn't look like I was wearing a skort. A sales clerk, who was also overweight, suggested I try her method. She shopped for her shorts in the men's section. It worked. But that was shortly before I finally decided enough and changed my ways.
almostheaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2004, 12:42 PM   #5  

The main problem with short seems to be that there is very little ground between short shorts, which just are not me, and ones that go down to my knees and have pleats. They remind me of things that my grandma wears. Now I love my grandma dearly, but that does not mean that I am ready to dress like her.

The other thing that bugs me about summer clothing is the very short tight sleaves. I prefer looser and slightly longer sleaves that are made of lighter fabrics. That way I am cool but I do not have to expose my arm wobbles. Plus it is some small measure of sun protection.
SeeCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2004, 12:50 PM   #6  
One day at a time

S/C/G: 220/191/186

Hi ladies

I don't care for shorts either. and going out in public in a bathing suit! Not for me. One thing I have found that I like and that is cool are crop pants. They make them in such pretty colors and denim and anyone can wear them. Another thing I won't wear is sleeveless shirts-I have the wave thingy going on and it's not a pretty sight if ya know what I mean. But I have a lot of cute cotton tops that cover my big booty or most of it. I am so very self conscious about my body I am learning to love it but I don't want every roll being seen.

I have seen ladies bigger than me wear shorts and tank tops, even a bathing suit in public and I applaud them for having the confidence in themselves to wear clothes like that.
FrouFrou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2004, 03:26 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 344/279.1/???

Height: 5'6"

I guess I'm in the minority here. I love summer and all that goes with it. I even bought me a $6 bikini in a size 15 on the clearance rack that I will be wearing this spring (I'm currently in a size 22, some 24s). I've never been one to be self-conscious and I don't let a few fat rolls ruin my summer fun. I wear shorts year round. When I'm at home and around family I will wear a 2-piece but I do have some courtesy and wore a one piece to the water park last year (I think I weighed 265 when we went).
I'll wear tank tops, bikinis, etc. It's all in your confidence and self-esteem. If you wear the clothes like you were born to wear them then people will see that and if you wear them and feel like you are walking out naked, people see that too.
barbygirl43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2004, 01:24 PM   #8  

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxbauer
I'm curious how everyone else feels about having to wear spring/summer clothes or even bathing suits (!) before they reach their goal weight-loss? I don't even like trying spring clothes on in the dressing room so going out in public in the warmer months is even more stressful. Any tips? Does anyone else dread summer? Let's discuss!
I am a well known fashionista. I really believe the trick to feeling good no matter what the season/style is fit. If you buy something made for your body shape/size, you will feel good wearing it.

I think too many heavy woman settle for big/baggy instead of what actually looks good. I also think there is the opposite out there of wearing too small due to the size on the tag.

If you have areas of your body, you would like to hide, well-fitting clothes can do it better than baggy and skin tight doesn't work for anyone (in my opinion).

When I buy clothes, I look at the measurements of the garment instead of the size on the tag. I go for clothes which play up my assets and mask my ... um ... de-assets. Same thing with swimsuits. I buy ones made for my body tape and use a sarong, which shows a little leg.
I Thirst 2 Run is offline   Reply With Quote