South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 12-15-2004, 05:17 PM   #1  
I can do this!

Height: 5'11"

Default Are Jeans the Final Frontier?

I fit into a fitted skirt from the GAP that's a size 14.

I fit into flat-front pants that are size 18.

But I just barely fit into a pair of 22W jeans. Why???

Are jeans the last thing that I'll be able to fit into in my final size? Sweet Tooth, other maintainers, what did you find?

And if they are the "final frontier", why? Are jeans sizes so different from fitted pants? It's all very confusing to me!
Old 12-15-2004, 11:47 PM   #2  
RNMOM

Default I think everything's different

Depends on the jeans. I fit into a pair of 6 faded glory, a pair of 8 faded glory and a pair of 11 lucky's. Go figure. Well, actually the 6 pants will stay in the closet until the end of this month when I begin my rejourney into the land of South Beach Diet Heaven. My daughter leaves on the 27th which is theTuesday after Christmas. That is my day to begin. Why wait until Jan 1, I'll have moved onto other goals by then........ yes I have been rambling. But the clothes just differ from brand to brand. The more expensive clothes probably say they are smaller on the tag, just so you'll by them size 6 pant. It' s a conspriacy I'm sure. Clothing department stores are trying to make the already on the edge dieter crazy with how to figure out new size for a few pounds weight loss.

When you get it figured out let me know.
Old 12-16-2004, 08:08 AM   #3  
A Lily from my yard!

Well Laurie it is a crazy thing with sizes! All the jeans I am wearing are a 10. Some are kind of tight and some are really loose but they are all 10's. Dress clothes on the other hand are all 12's. I am a hippie chick so I need a 12 dressy but in jeans they hold em in! haha I wish all cothing manufacturers would get together on the same wave length with sizes! It is very frustrating!
Old 12-16-2004, 08:50 AM   #4  

I have a terrible time shopping for jeans.. I'm a 16 now, but I need Short or Petite - or else I look as though I have flippers. For some reason designers must assume that since I'm a 16 I'm also tall!
Old 12-16-2004, 10:12 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 197/199/145

Height: 5'0"

The problem with sizing is "vanity sizing." Companies have discovered that women will pay more for a smaller size.

There are no standardized sizes for clothes. Which I personal feel is one of the major reasons we (ok, I) have put on so much weight. I know for a fact, when I last weighed 155 pounds 20 years ago, I was wearing a tight size 14. Now I fit into size 10 and 12 clothes from JC Penney.

If the clothes were standardized, I would have realized I was packing on the pounds. Beause I never left a size 14 until I hit 195 pounds I kept fooling myself that I didn't have a weight problem. "Because look at these pictures from 20 years ago, I'm not bad looking. But, hey don't look at these pictures from last year, don't know where that body came from"

http://www.fitme.com/Fitme/html/Publ...Z_Rep_0104.htm
Old 12-16-2004, 11:22 AM   #6  
Super Duper Senior Member

S/C/G: 289/T/190

Height: 5' 7.5"

I find that it depends on the shape of your body. Jeans have to cover it all -- from calves to thighs to butt to waist. A skirt is usually waist, butt and thigh? I find the opposite that I fit into 14 jeans (well, used to before my 8 lbs gain!) but fitted pants were a 16.

I think it's because I have HUGE hips with no butt and fitted pants fall nicer around the hip in a bigger size as opposed to jeans that leave room for a butt.

Make sense?
Old 12-16-2004, 02:17 PM   #7  

[QUOTE=sarahyu]There are no standardized sizes for clothes. Which I personal feel is one of the major reasons we (ok, I) have put on so much weight. I know for a fact, when I last weighed 155 pounds 20 years ago, I was wearing a tight size 14. Now I fit into size 10 and 12 clothes from JC Penney. QUOTE]

Interesting, I was just thinking how the last time I bought my current size I was 20 pounds lighter and this was 10 years ago. It sounds like the clothing manufacturers have changed their sizing so that we appear to be able to fit into smaller sizes or can remain the same size even though we have gained a lot of weight. All goes to show that the bathroom scales are still necessary to maintain your weight long term I guess.
Old 12-16-2004, 02:20 PM   #8  

I have 3 pairs of jeans, all by the same maker, and all 3 are different sizes and all 3 fit about the same. It's nuts! When I try stuff on I have to take at least 2 sizes of each item because you never know how things are going to fit.
Old 12-16-2004, 02:26 PM   #9  
Beauty, Brawn and Brains!

S/C/G: 298(O)/268.2(RS)/247.9.0/175.0

Height: 5'9''

Tracy - Oh no you dont! I always complain because fat must equal short in designers minds! I'm can never find anything long enough in the torso unless it's also 3 sizes too big. In the legs, I can find the right length but it means that my thighs are SWIMMING - way too big.
Old 12-17-2004, 10:08 AM   #10  
Conquering with SBD

I think that the issue about standardizing sizes is a really big problem. I can remember when I was in university and weighed about 110 lbs. I was a size 10 and that was sometimes on the pretty snug side.

I think the manufacturers have, over the years, altered the sizes so that, mentally, we are not acknowledging that we are becoming a bigger society. I have mentioned an outfit the DH bought me in China...it is an XXXXL and fits me on the snug side right now. Normally, I am wearing a Size 6 or 8 at the moment.

A few years ago, when I was losing weight and wearing about a size 12 here,
I went to the Middle East and bought some really nice clothes on sale - size 12. When I finally tried them on, I could not get them zippered. Since I was losing weight, anyway, I did keep them and can wear them now.

So, on reflecting back to the origianl size 10 days at 110 lbs., at the weight I am presently at, I would probably be about a size 12 - the same size as the clothes that I bought in the Middle East.

Anyway, I think the manufacturers have done a number on us. And yes, it does depend on the brand in any type of clothing. I wear anything from a size 6 to a size 10 in jeans, depending on the brand, the material and the way I want them to fit.
Old 12-17-2004, 10:10 AM   #11  
I can do this!

Height: 5'11"

Jessica, I had the same problem. All my armholes in plus sizes are down to my waist! Just because my belly was fat didn't mean my arms were the size of tree trunks!

Barb, the article you posted was perfect and exactly what my mom has been telling me all along.

I guess my main question isn't so much why are sizes so different (but that's a really perplexing question, too), but, "If you are mostly fitting into one size in everything (skirts, shorts, dress pants, dresses, shirts), will it take more time before you can fit into that size in jeans?" It sure seems that way... And I have the blessing of a Russian Jewish background so I have a huge butt, huge hips, and a tiny waist. Oy!
Old 12-17-2004, 10:24 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 189/177/135

Height: 5'7

I wear anything from an 8 to a 12 depending on the jeans- were in several pairs of dress pants a size 10 looks like I have on a sack or have left a gift in the seat of them. Basically it is beyond me.
Closed Thread