Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 12-12-2004, 10:16 PM   #1  
brookiebean

Default i'm a newbie

Hi everyone. I just wanted to introduce myself and hopefull get some positive support.
Well i'm 22, 5'3 and about 185-190. I have never in my life been "skinny" but i've almost always been okay with my body until about 2 months ago. Lately my weight has been steadily increasing and i just dont know what to do. Well thats not true. I know what to do but i lack the willpower to do it. I joined the Ymca a few months back and i was really pumped up about it. I thought "yea, i'm really going to get in shape." that didnt happen. I've barely gone. For one thing its so not fun to work out by yourself. another thing is that i get really bummed out. i won't say deppressed because that i think that is something very serious and mine is not that bad. I have just been really sad about a lot of little things in my life and i get were i dont want to do anything but eat. I know the only way to lose weight is through diet and exercise but i just need some outside motvation and support that i can't get at home. i feel like i'm kinda trapped because i eat because i'm sad and i'm sad because i'm fat so i eat. You see where i'm going here...lol.
If anyone has any good tips on how to control my food intake or how to "like" going to the gym please share

Thanks!
brookiebean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2004, 12:52 AM   #2  
Blonde Bimbo

S/C/G: 250+/144/135

Height: 5' 4"

Change your routine at the gym until you DO like it. Change the time you go, the types of exercises you do until you find one time and routine you like. You might meet someone you are comfortable talking with while at the gym at a different time than usual who might become an exercise buddy.

And if you can get all the junk food out of the house and stock it with only healthy items, even if you do overeat, it's not as bad as overeating on the wrong stuff.

When you start feeling depressed, try to make a point of going to the gym particularly at that time. You may feel that's no what you want right then, and may feel like you're too tired for that, but once you get started exercising, you feel pumped up. I've found that when I'm feeling tired, if I exercise, I tend to come back strong. I actually have sometimes exercised longer and harder than usual those times when I had thought I was too tired to start, because once I got started, I tapped some reserve somewhere.
almostheaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2004, 05:32 PM   #3  
the journey begins

S/C/G: 270/257/150

[QUOTE=brookiebean] I have just been really sad about a lot of little things in my life and i get were i dont want to do anything but eat. i feel like i'm kinda trapped because i eat because i'm sad and i'm sad because i'm fat so i eat. QUOTE]

Same here. I sure understand.

If you ever want to chat or share some encouraging words you can PM me. I'm also 22 years old...I have a good amount of weight to lose (80-100) and have been having the worst time trying to get myself motivated. I can tell though, things are going to change now that I'm getting involved with a buddy and this website. I've finally hit bottom, am totally fed up with myself and my life and decided yesterday to take a step towards positive change. Support and motivation is really important, esp for ppl like us who feel overwhelmed by a vicious cycle of food abuse.

Let me know if you wanna be buddies or even just talk about things.

Take it easy

Amberoo
Amberoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2004, 01:33 AM   #4  
Tons of fun!!!!

I thought that i needed someone to go to the gym with me when i started, so my boyfriend joined with me, but then he got a new job that doesnt allow him to go. and now i think i like going alone a little better, it gives me some "me" time, i can get away from the world and just lose myself in my exercise. Undertsnadibly not all people are the same, so i would just try soem of the advice you have already been given...try different times of the day, different workout routines, etc.... but dont get discouraged... you can do this!!! good luck!!
hippiechic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2004, 09:46 AM   #5  
Megan

S/C/G: 200/138/133

Height: 5'5"

I agree with Hippiechic, the gym is great for "me" time. brookie, do you like music? i always listen to music while I do my cardio and it helps it go by faster (i'm not exactly overjoyed to be doing it). it's a good opportunity for me to listen to a new band that someone has recommended, or if its a cd that i've heard a thousand times, it helps me to zone out and block out the noise around me.

as far as the eating part, you don't have to be perfect. if you make small changes in the way that you eat, you will see results. you didn't say much about your eating habits, but what has been working for me is water water water, whole grains, lean protein, veggies - but i am NOT perfect all the time, and who can be? if you eat something that you feel is "off-plan," don't beat yourself up or feel guilty, just get back on track and do better the next time!

best of luck!!! come post on the 20-somethings board if you want to talk to some people that are around the same age as you are!
NYCT1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2004, 09:55 AM   #6  
Blonde Bimbo

S/C/G: 250+/144/135

Height: 5' 4"

Quote:
i always listen to music while I do my cardio and it helps it go by faster
Me too. But another effect of the music is...the faster the music, the faster my exercise pace. I have CDs I specifically burned for running that have some good 80's fast-paced rock-n-roll. If I'm not trying to set a speed record, I choose a slower-paced CD. LOL
almostheaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2004, 06:49 PM   #7  
brookiebean

Thanks everone for your awesome suggestions. Its nice to know that there are other people out there dealing with some of the same things i am. Good luck to everyone!!!! and if anyone needs a buddy i dont have one and i think that would help me out alot.
brookiebean is offline   Reply With Quote