South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 12-08-2004, 09:55 PM   #1  

Default A tip when buying jeans... no stretch!

Down a few pounds, I had to get a new pair of jeans (hurray -- old ones too big!!)

I started trying on jeans in a few different stores and quickly got very discouraged. Thanks to my Ukranian heritage, I have all of my extra fat in my bum and thighs... and I was finding that I looked absolutely gigantic in every single pair, every style. After about four different stores, I wanted to cry.

Then I hit American Eagle, and I realized what the problem was. All of the jeans I had tried on were STRETCHY. Most jeans today have stretch in them, which is great for those little pixie 18 year-olds who are 100 lbs. soaking wet, but NOT for those of us who are a) adults and b) have curves.

So I asked the clerk at AE for all of the jeans they had with NO stretch. (Keep in mind, AE was a big risk for me seeing as a few months ago, I couldn't get their biggest size over my knees.) They only had two styles with no stretch. Into the change room I went and...

BINGO! They FIT, and not only that, they're actually slimming!! I had tried on the same cut, same style, same color, in the three previous stores but all of their jeans had lycra in them. But the AE jeans were straight denim, no lycra/stretch/elastic/whatever, so instead of clinging, they just sit nicely.

Dare I say... they're actually pretty sexy looking, very stylish (oh my goodness, it's been a couple of years since I could say I am wearing the latest style in pants, let me tell you), AND... (drumroll)...the best part... THEY WERE ON SALE!

Today, girls, was a really great diet day.
Old 12-09-2004, 12:59 AM   #2  

Congratulations Kim.. it is great to find clothes that make you feel good. I always go for boot leg jeans as they are more slimming...
Old 12-09-2004, 01:22 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 273/260.1/163

Height: 5'7"

I'm the queen of jean shopping, mostly because I work in a clothing store that carries a LOT of jeans. I don't have the same experience as you though, this stretch thing makes my life SO much easier, clothes FIT now! I agree about that bootcut thing Artemis, especially when they start to boot cut from the knee, not the calf. It's so interesting for me to see what jeans work for what bodies, it's so different. Congrats on finding jeans that fit, I know how hard that can be
Old 12-09-2004, 06:37 AM   #4  

Height: 5'-2"

That's great, Kim! I agree... there's nothing like wearing jeans to make me feel slim and young and... babish!
I really like the stretch jeans, though. I always buy them a little big so that they're not clingy. And I like a little flare at the bottom. Maybe we should do a survey.
I HATE those jeans that fit around the waist, but that are HUGE in the upper leg/lower belly area. I feel like I'm swimming in them. Like I could get a couple of bowling balls in there. shudder.
Old 12-09-2004, 08:02 AM   #5  
Ready to Change

S/C/G: 170/160/125

Height: 5 ft

Jeans are my worst nightmare. (actually all pants, I would wear dress all the time if I could or pants with a drawstring) my problem is as well the bum and the thigh thing but my worst problem which I have had slim or not is my waist I have a tiny waist and have the hardest time finding pants they fit nicely everywhere with the exception of the waist not even a belt will help. Right now I have a pair of Lee jeans that fit the best.
Old 12-09-2004, 08:36 AM   #6  
I can do this!

Height: 5'11"

Little Chick, that is exactly my problem too! Lee jeans were always the best fit for me. I love wearing jeans too!

I recently got a pair from Old Navy (I'm fit into clothes at Old Navy...WOW!), and they were the low rise kind. That looks horrible on me! My widest part is my hips and combine that with the little belly I have left, and it just is horrific! Needless to say, they are going back!

Congrats, Kim, on getting great jeans and fitting into clothes at AE!!!
Old 12-09-2004, 09:18 AM   #7  
A Lily from my yard!

First congrats Kim on the jeans! DS love AE!
Jeans my favorite thing of all time! I as well have a big bum and big hips and a small waist. That's why even in a size 10 I look like a wide load! teehee Not to mention I'm only 5'2". (that's stretchin it!) Therefore alot of jeans fit in the bum but have 4 inches of extra material in the waist. I had to take a pair back to Penneys the other day that I bought in the JR dept becasue when I put a belt on with them it was just to much extra in the back and looked so tacky! I do not like the stretch either with these hips honey I need all the hold in power I can get! teehee St. John's Bay jeans from Penneys usually fit me really good. No I don't work for them my MIL retired from there and buys me alot of stuff from there. I also bought a pair of Gap jeans at the thrift store and they fit pretty good as well. Lee jeans always seem to "ride up" on me if you know what I mean! haha Just my 2 cents on what works for me.
Old 12-09-2004, 12:06 PM   #8  
Beauty, Brawn and Brains!

S/C/G: 298(O)/268.2(RS)/247.9.0/175.0

Height: 5'9''

Little waist. BIG belly and hips. No Butt. Thin legs.

When I look for a pair of jeans, it's a nightmare.

All flare or bootcut tho!
Old 12-09-2004, 08:48 PM   #9  

Hey Kim, Congrats! I grew up in a Ukranian family, good thing I was adopted, heh! Those low rise jeans...EEEKKK! They try to button around the fattest part of my stomach, not a good site!! Anyway, I got a pair of GAP jeans (haven't fit into anything there in about 30 years, LOL....gotta love wearing clothes that are trendy!
Old 12-10-2004, 10:16 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 273/260.1/163

Height: 5'7"

I wear ultra low rise jeans, sounds worse than it is.. I am SO short in my rise that normal pants come up to my boobs, add that to the fact I'm 5'8", pants are my worst nightmare. I like Old Navy, and LOVE the GAP, but alas, I'm just fitting into the gap's 16's, and old navy? Why, WHY are their sizes so weird?!?! This is a constant complaint on my part, I have a pair of GAP size 16 jeans, which I can do up and look alright, but my size 20 pants from Old Navy barely want to do up! Grrr..!!
Old 12-10-2004, 12:46 PM   #11  
KO
In Pursuit of Divatude!

Hi Ladies
Drumroll Please!!!! I lose 6 pounds!!! i also decided to add fiber one in b/c i've been wacky for carbs. Wednesday Night Dh bought me a pair of earrings just because
On the Jeans front I need stretch! and I'm 5'2 so the rise on low rise jeans actually hits my waist! I can wear Old Navy Stretch 18s but I'm too chicken to go into the gap.
Kim that rocks about AE
Body wise lol I have a shelf of hips virtually no butt and a big tum grrr and most nonstretch pants I have enough tummy room but a baggy arse
My favorite jeans are Ralph Lauren ( I don't pay retail tho)
Old 12-10-2004, 12:53 PM   #12  

Default size standardization... what's that?

here i sit in sz 12 j crew jeans that i am practically swimming in. i have another pair of sz 12 from j crew the exact same style and cut and if i have a little bloat going on or anything, they're nearly uncomfortable to wear. who knows. it's a vast conspiracy to make us all irratible and paranoid. it stinks that even within the same company (the whole old navy/gap/banana republic conglomerate seems to be the worst offender in my opinion. don't even get me started) there is no apparent size standardization though. but i am a jean-o-holic so what's a girl to do?
Old 12-10-2004, 01:51 PM   #13  
Bunnababy

S/C/G: 294/261/150

Congratulations.
Old 12-10-2004, 02:32 PM   #14  

I love wearing jeans now. All the walking and aerobics classes I have done this year has tightened up my bum muscles and toned me up all over so it is nice to show it off with jeans and a (long) fitted or tailored top. I am finding that for jeans to fit around my hips they are at least one size too big in the waist. Probably two! Plus they are loose fitting in the thighs. I gave up and bought a belt last week and wear it with just about everything, even my boardshorts. I bought a couple of pairs of stretch capris this week but they are a little bit more revealing than I would like them to be for my current size. My favourite jeans have a little bit of stretch in them. I like the bootleg cut too.
Old 12-10-2004, 03:22 PM   #15  
I can do this!

Height: 5'11"

I don't know why sizes are consistent within a brand, but in general, the cheaper clothes fit more tightly than the more expensive clothes do. My mother always said the more you have to spend, the smaller your size. I have two dresses that are size 12s, bought from Nordstrom's. I could still wear them when I was an 18 or 20 at Lane Bryant.

Right now, I can very comfortably fit into large size underwear ($14.00) from Victoria's Secret but XL underwear from Wal-Mart ($3.00) is tight. Go figure.
Closed Thread