South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 12-06-2004, 11:13 AM   #1  

Talking Chocolate Bean Cake

I know there is already a recipe for the bean cake, however I came across another one which is very different.. it also has a cream cheese frosting to put on top.. I think I'm posting it here because I didn't know where to place it, so that there aren't 2 bean cake recipes in the deserts for Phase I. Anywho.. credit goes to the ladies at http://www.***************************/forum/forum-5.html

Chocolate Bean Cake - Phase I

1 15 oz can black beans (drained & rinsed)
4 large eggs, seperated
1/2 cup Splenda
3 TBSP baking cocoa
2 TBSP strong coffee (or 1 TBSP espresso powder or coffee dissolved in 1 TBSP hot water)
1 tsp baking powder
2 TBSP Smart Beat spread or canola oil
1 tsp vanilla
2 TBSP chopped walnuts or hazelnuts-optional

Preheat oven to 350.

Prepare an 8x8 baking pan by spraying it with Pam.

Blend the egg yolks,splenda,baking powder, Smart Beat (or oil), vanilla, coffee, & cocoa in a blender or with a stick blender. Add the rinsed & drained beans & puree until smooth. Transfer bean mixture to a bowl if using a blender.

In a seperate bowl, whip the egg whites with a pinch of salt with a hand mixer until stiff peaks form. Mix 1/3 of the egg whites into the bean
mixture to lighten the bean mixture. Fold in the remaining egg whites in two portions. It's OK if some white streaks remain in the batter.

Pour the batter into the baking dish. Sprinkle the top with chopped nuts if desired. Tap the pan on counter a couple of times to release any air pockets. Bake at 350 degrees for 35-40 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Allow to cool 10 minutes before slicing.

Makes 16 2"x2" servings.

Variations: Chocolate peanut butter: add 2 TBSP natural peanut butter to the bean mixture. Sprinkle top with chopped peanuts if desired.

Chocolate hazelnut: Add 1 TBSP sugar-free hazelnut syrup or 1/4 tsp hazelnut extract to the bean mixture. Sprinkle the top with chopped hazelnuts if desired.

Note: coffee enhances the flavor of chocolate & makes it more chocolately, you don't taste the coffee.

Cream Cheese Frosting

1 pkg. 1/3rd less fat cream cheese
1 1/2 c. Splenda (to taste)
1 or 2 tsp. vanilla (again to taste)
Any DaVinci SF syrups to taste

Nuke the cheese until soft. Blend in Splenda & vanilla.

----------------------------------------------------

I'll let the mods do with this what they want. I'm baking the cake right now, I'll let you all know how this recipe turns out.
Old 12-06-2004, 11:50 AM   #2  
I can do this!

Height: 5'11"

Sounds awesome! Do let us know how it turns out! If it's a winner, we can move it into the Phase 1 forum and make the title "Black Bean Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting" or "Black Bean Cake II"
Old 12-06-2004, 12:17 PM   #3  

Good idea Laurie! I just tried it and I (as well as my BF whose not on SBD) really liked it! I thought it was going to be really thick like a brownie, but even though it didn't rise much it had a lovely cakey texture. I topped half with the frosting, and half with plain cool whip - both ways tasted great. I suppose you could garnish with mini choc chips too.

Next time I'm going to try one of the variations, probably the peanut butter one

I put mine in a larger baking dish though, so it was done after 25 minutes.. Great way to get more beans into your diet
Old 12-07-2004, 12:01 AM   #4  

Actually, I added a post over there - there were alot of notes & tips I wanted to include.. I'm sure this will make its way to page 2 or 3 in no time.
Closed Thread