Does it Work? Unsure if the latest product or service lives up to it's claims? From popular products to the latest scams, discuss it here before you buy!

Closed Thread

Old 11-17-2004, 04:09 PM   #1  
Meg

Default Bowflex Users - New Recall Info

If you own a Bowflex manufactured between 1995 and April, 2004, read this:
Quote:
Nearly 800,000 Bowflex Machines Recalled
Dozens report injuries from mechanical problems

Tuesday, November 16, 2004 Posted: 10:59 AM EST (1559 GMT)

WASHINGTON (AP) -- The makers of the popular Bowflex fitness machine are recalling nearly 800,000 units after dozens of people reported injuries from mechanical problems, the government announced Tuesday.

This marks the second large recall of Bowflex equipment this year. In January, the machine's manufacturer issued a voluntary recall of about 420,000 units after reports of similar mechanical problems.

The latest recall affects 680,000 Bowflex Power Pro systems and 102,000 Bowflex Ultimate Fitness Machines, manufactured by The Nautilus Group, of Vancouver, Washington.

The Consumer Product Safety Commission says the machine's seat can unexpectedly break on the Ultimate model and Power Pro with "Lat Tower." There were 46 reports of such incidents and two of those were serious injuries requiring stitches to the head.

Another failure involves the machine's backboard bench unexpectedly collapsing when it is in the incline position on Power Pro models without the "Lat Tower." There were 42 reports of this failure and subsequent injuries to the back, neck and head, none of which were serious.

The company issued its recall in January after reports of more than 70 injuries due to the backboard bench failure and problems with the "Lat Tower." That piece -- used to strengthen the upper body -- can weaken over time and collapse, injuring the user's back, head and shoulder.

The recalled machines were sold at fitness stores and through infomercial and direct mail around the nation between 1995 and April of this year. The systems cost between $1,200 and $1,600, depending on the model.

Consumers are advised to stop using the backboard bench in the incline position and contact the company to receive a free repair kit. Customers who participated in the recall in January and owners of the Ultimate systems will automatically receive a kit, the company said. Where owners names are known for all models, the company will contact them as well.

Copyright 2004 The Associated Press.
http://www.cnn.com/2004/HEALTH/diet.....ap/index.html
Old 11-17-2004, 07:51 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 307/187/130

Height: 5'4"

Well boy am I glad we got the crossbar by wieder. Same type of machine more features less money! Apparently less injury too!
Old 12-06-2004, 08:27 PM   #3  
WW Moderator

I don't think I've ever seen a recall on the Crossbow - how new is it? I thought you did get the Bowflex - I must have you mixed up with somebody else. How about Penny - did she get a bowflex?
Old 12-06-2004, 09:44 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 307/187/130

Height: 5'4"

crap I had a whole post typed out but it didn't go through.

I probably referred to it as a bowflex, just so people knew what "type" of machine I was talking about. We purchased the platinum crossbow or crossbar as it's now called, at the end of August of this year. I absolutely love it!! It has digital resistance so I set the weight and it automatically configures the machine for me. The only think that sucked about it at first was that the cables had to be broken in, but hubby got that fixed quick. I love it and wouldn't trade it for anything. In my opinion this machine has many more features for less money and better quality than the top of the line Bowflex which is more expensive by like 800 bucks I think.
Closed Thread