Old 12-03-2004, 03:10 PM   #1  
We're TTC!!

S/C/G: 303/281/Goal#1:271

Height: 5'3"

Default Rewards

What are some ways that you reward yourself? And how often...every 10 or 20 pounds? A friend suggested that with every 10 pounds she would buy a gift certificate to her favorite store for $10 or $15, then when she reaches her ultimate goal she will have a lot of certificates to buy all her "thin" clothes. Just curious of some of the ways you guys treat yourselves.
rebelridergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2004, 03:31 PM   #2  
I climb mountains!

S/C/G: 284/208/145

I haven't really done the rewards thang since I started....I could be in the minority here. I honestly consider the loss itself it's own best reward, and as I grow smaller I continue to buy just enough clothing to keep me professional at work! That's costly enough, since there have been a lot of sizes along the way -- from 26/28 to 14/16. As for the rewards system being motivated, again, I feel the loss itself is motivation enough. I'm not going to be any more motivated by getting a manicure or something....but then maybe I'm just a very serious girl.
lessofsarahtolove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2004, 03:42 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 344/279.1/???

Height: 5'6"

When I first started this I did have rewards in place
At 275 start tanning (well I didn't have enough money at the time to afford that)
I finally hemhawed around and came up with one for 250 (take glamour shot pics but I really wasn't happy with that reward)
At 225, I'm going to start learning how to ride horses
at 200, have Jeff teach me how to rope. I told him once that when I got below 200 I would learn how.
at 175, I'm getting a tattoo
and at 150, my goal, I've already told all my family that I want a minimum of a 3-day weekend at some spa resort somewhere.

I've learned in the past not to reward myself with food. (the last time I attempted to lose weight, I would 'treat' myself to taco bell for every 5 pounds lost)

Some here I know buy a charm bracelet at their first 5 or 10 pounds and then with each 5 to 10 more pound loss will add a charm to it.
barbygirl43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2004, 04:54 PM   #4  

I'm with Sarah ... for me the results in body & mind have been reward enough. It's true that I have done more things for myself than I used to, some I've never done before, as I've lost weight -- manicures, massages, etc. But, they haven't been tied to goals. If I want a pedicure and I can afford it I'll get one. But, if you feel you have to do something, then I think the gift certificate idea isn't a bad one. Or, something more flexible would be a savings acct -- gift certificates can expire or have monthly lack-of-use charges.
funniegrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2004, 05:26 PM   #5  
PamPSM644

I'll reward myself at the end of the day. If I've stayed under my alotment of cals I'll treat myself to a small sweet snack.Like a couple cookies,or fudge cycle,apple sauce or even low cal jello with a little low cal whipped cream.This way I have something to look forward to everyday.Maybe once a month we'll go out to dinner,or I'll get a burger.Rewards are important and so is variety.
PamPSM644 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2004, 05:31 PM   #6  

I never really did the reward thing either. But that's probably just because I'm so cheap. I hate to spend money unnecessarily. I didn't even do anything when I got to goal. Well, I did go on the Chicago trip, but my mom paid for that as a reward for getting to goal (my mom is the greatest!). But I say, if it works for you then go for it. Just make sure you don't use food as a reward because that defeats the purpose.

Beverly
boiaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2004, 05:50 PM   #7  
Jennifer

Mark me down on the "not so much into rewards" side. I definitely started out with the idea that I would reward myself at key points , but now that I'm into this thing more, I agree that not having that weight (and all the good things that are associated with not having it) feels like the reward itself. At the beginning, though, before you really start to see your losses in any tangible way, it might be a good idea. But man, somebody asked me about a reward for hitting my 50 pound mark, my first thought was, "how about losing another 50!"

(That said, I still really dig these shoes! 199, maybe? Very Betty Boop!)

p.s. Sheesh with the new clothes thing!!!! So expensive, but so necessary!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg honey.jpg (8.3 KB, 14 views)
teapotdynamo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2004, 03:03 PM   #8  

Quote:
Originally Posted by teapotdynamo
p.s. Sheesh with the new clothes thing!!!! So expensive, but so necessary!
Amen, sistah. ALL of my money goes to clothes. The closer I get to goal, the bigger difference 5 or 10 pounds make. The more socially active I am (which has increased over time), the more different outfits I feel I need, and the more conscious I am of fit -- being a 1/2 size too big just won't do any more. And, buying new clothes often means buying new shoes, or a belt, or ... The seasons change and clothes that fit fine are now too cold or too hot, and I won't be able to wear them next year. Not to mention the whole undergarment thing, not only sizes dropping but needing a different kind of bra or hose or shaper to work with a particular outfit and ... aaaarrrrrgggghhhh.

At least shopping is more fun that it used to be, even if I WILL end up in the poor house. And, at least I can sell things on ebay and recoup some of my losses ...
Old 12-06-2004, 03:20 PM   #9  
Jennifer

Oh, sing it. I can't *wait* to be in "normal" sizes. I'm now at a 14 on top (I'm such a pear, though, so I'm still a 20 on the bottom! Grrrr... ), so I'm hoping that soon soon soon, I will be able to get tops more cheaply (and much cuter ones, too!). I can't wait!!!

But yeah... Seems like I need new stuff all the time now, and it's frustrating as I know it won't fit in 2-3 months!
teapotdynamo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2004, 03:35 PM   #10  
I climb mountains!

Smile

I'm just sitting here nodding. I truly don't mean to complain, because it really is a blessing, but DAMN if it isn't SO costly! I wear the same things over and over and over and over and over.......until I can't, and then it's off I go to the mall for more mix-and-max basics to just tide me over till the next transition. I am NOT going to invest a lot of money in special clothing I know for a fact I'm going to outgrow.....hence the size 28 coat I'll wear that about wraps twice around my size 14/16 body. I'm planning on wearing a size 6/8 this time next year, so I'm not going to spend big bucks on a winter coat.

But it sure does all add up horribly......I'm putting off the undergarment-buying adventure till after the holidays when hopefully there will be some sales.

Ah, to think of the time when I can just build a nice wardrobe that will not require replacing. *sigh*
Old 12-06-2004, 03:40 PM   #11  

I AM making do with an overcoat that's 2 sizes too big ... but I really can't stand anything to be oversized anymore. The funny thing is, that used to be what I sought out. Now I can't rip it off my body fast enough if it bags and sags.
Old 12-06-2004, 03:44 PM   #12  
Becomming a Monster

S/C/G: 329/253/210

Height: 6'0

cloths being ripped off young ladies mmmmm i must be lack of sugar holucinating i have loads of baggy cheap nasty cloths i love them i have 1 pair of shoes 1 pair of trainers and a pair of rugby boots thats it lol
slimmingsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2004, 04:32 PM   #13  

This is why we need well-fitting clothes ... so young gentlemen will be more inclined to want to rip them off ...

Old 12-06-2004, 04:40 PM   #14  
I climb mountains!

at both of you!
Old 12-06-2004, 05:01 PM   #15  
Becomming a Monster

S/C/G: 329/253/210

Height: 6'0

Default oh my.

now i don't normally blush but i just have one of those visual minds