General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Old 11-27-2004, 12:20 AM   #1  

Default I need to lose 10 lbs in 3 weeks!

Is this at all possible?

I was told Atkins/South Beach Diet would probably be the best way, but I tried it before and just couldn't stand all the eggs and dairy. I would really like to lose 8-10 lbs. in time for an upcoming vacation and have committed to working out daily. But what kind of diet will help me to achieve this goal?

I'm willing to Be Strong - really need to do this. Any suggestions?

Thanks!
mommie2anl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2004, 01:21 AM   #2  

Hi! I swore up and down I would never do a lose-weight-quick diet again -- I'm 44 and should know better HOWEVER....that is exactly what I'm doing, starting tomorrow!

I've been invited to a formal Xmas party Dec. 11 and ALL my formal stuff is TIGHT! I mean...TIGHT like it zips but 10 pounds away from looking/feeling okay. I REALLY don't want to invest in a gown for one occasion and I want to lose weight anyhow so tomorrow I'm making, you guessed it -- cabbage soup!

I don't know if we are supposed to discuss nutty diets like this one here where everyone seems to have such a healthy approach? But actually I don't think this is really unhealthy and I DID lose 10 pounds on it a couple years back and kept if off just as long as with the "sensible" diets. So I'm willing to give it another go.

Honestly I DO think cabbage is better than diet pills! Personally I think it's healthier than Atkins too, even though it's only meant for a week. I do know a woman who went on/off weeks, alternating with a regular 1400 calorie diet and lost 30 lbs and kept it off.
K8-EEE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2004, 02:26 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 233.9/143/160

Height: 5'7"

Okay guys...you all knew this was coming, right?

It IS possible to lose 10 pounds in 3 weeks....but-here is the catch. It's not gonna be fat. It is going to be some water weight and some of your muscle mass that you want to keep. If you go on an extremely low calorie fad diet-you'll lose some water, some muscle mass-and you'll most likely gain the weight back. Is it really worth it? When you do gain the weight back-it will most likely be fat-so you will end up maybe weighing what you do now, but you will end up with less muscle and more fat mass-so you could very possibly end up looking worse in a few months than you do right now.

You COULD however lose 3-5 pounds in 3 weeks in a more healthy manner...that doesn't involve going below 1200 calories a day, or cancelling out entire food groups. With a sensible plan that you can stick with for the rest of your life-that contains the proper nutrients and enough protein-along with exercise-you can lose some weight slow and steadily-and actually keep it off past the holiday season. I don't know about everyone else-but if I work hard to lose weight-I don't want it back in 6 months.

I cannot stress enough eating a balanced diet of between 1200-2000 calories per day (and 1200 is REALLY low-most women can lose just fine eating 1500-1600 a day) that contains healthy portions of clean, healthy food-lean protein, fruits, veggies, skim dairy, and whole grain starch like whole wheat bread and pasta, oatmeal, etc.-no junky carbs like regular bread, white pasta, and processed sweets.) Exercise along with this for 20-60 minutes per day to burn fat and increase muscle-and this is a way of life that is healthy, and a way to lose excess weight that will help you keep the weight off...not just lose it.

I have been living this way for over two years now-and I am over 45 pounds thinner-and it's not coming back. I am losing slowly-but steadily-and I feel 200% better. Two years ago my holiday party dress was a 16/18W...last year it was a 14/16W...and this year it is a 13/14 Misses. Next year I am hoping to walk in that party in a 11/12 gown...maybe even a 9/10. Who knows?

The weight loss is slower than a fad diet-but I have muscle mass and firm shape in my body now, and I am not gaining any weight back. I have changed the lifestyle that was making me fat-not starving myself for a couple weeks for a special occasion and then gaining the weight back.

Fad diets are harmful to the body-and are not helping you get any fitter or firmer. Only a balanced diet and exercise can do that.
aphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2004, 04:23 PM   #4  
Ilene the Bean

I'm with aphil 1000%, BUT, in a pinch, what the heck the cabbage soup seems to work my brother did it a while back... BUT again, girls, please just go back to healthy eating after the occasion, or heck, even during the occasion, because you will bloat like a balloon once you eat and have a drink or two...
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2004, 05:44 PM   #5  

Well...like I said before you will lose some weight...but you'll gain it back. My main problem with the cabbage soup fad diet (which has been around at least since I was a small child) is that 5 out of the 7 days you are eating virtually NO PROTEIN AT ALL.

That is 5 days out of the week of losing nothing but your lean muscle mass...not your fat.
Old 11-27-2004, 05:58 PM   #6  
Ilene the Bean

I absolutely agree Aphil, but some people will resort to doing things in a panic, that you or I would never do... It's unfortunate really...
Old 11-27-2004, 06:08 PM   #7  

I know you're right April, this is not the way to change in the long term, however I have a size 12 butt and a size 10 dress I'm dying to wear in two weeks.

It was a shock to me how tight it was -- I haven't worn it in a couple of years. I know I'll have to make some permanent changes because now that I'm turning 45 next month, what worked 10 years ago I can't get away with any more. I think the wine will have to go and I can't get away with heavy dinners any more.

At any rate -- I don't think there's any danger in doing this for a week, but keeping it off will be the challenge!
Old 11-27-2004, 06:11 PM   #8  

Quote:
Originally Posted by aphil
Well...like I said before you will lose some weight...but you'll gain it back. My main problem with the cabbage soup fad diet (which has been around at least since I was a small child) is that 5 out of the 7 days you are eating virtually NO PROTEIN AT ALL.

That is 5 days out of the week of losing nothing but your lean muscle mass...not your fat.
I think it's OK to take a break from protein for awhile -- I know a lot of skinny gorgeous vegetarians (my daughter for one!) who routinely go two or three days out of the week with no high-protein foods...my daughter eats beans, tofu and lentils every week, but not every day, and she's healthy as a horse.
Old 11-28-2004, 09:56 AM   #9  

I agree that your daughter is probably a very healthy vegetarian-but on the days that she is going low protein I am sure she is not drastically cutting her calorie intake to "cabbage soup" diet level. I am a flexitarian-meaning I choose to eat meatless a few days each week but still do eat meat-so I am very familiar with the vegetarian lifestyle. (Two of the women whom I dance with regularly are also vegetarians.)

Thin doesn't always mean healthy either...
Old 11-28-2004, 10:02 AM   #10  
Ilene the Bean

My Yoga teacher is a vegetarian and she is VERY overweight! Too much of anything, is sometimes not a good thing...
Old 11-28-2004, 12:48 PM   #11  

Well sure if you're a cheese/sugar hound you can be an overweight vegetarian. One thing I've never met is an overweight vegan!! For that reason I was considering becoming one, but it's tough. My dad has been one for 5 years now he eats mostly raw foods. He went from being a steak and martini guy to turning vegan & not drinking at 65, now he's off all his old meds, his doctor is really impressed. He eats mostly salad, salad, salad, nuts and tofu. I think it's boring but his health has improved so dramatically.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilene
My Yoga teacher is a vegetarian and she is VERY overweight! Too much of anything, is sometimes not a good thing...
Old 11-28-2004, 01:16 PM   #12  
Uber-Moderator!!

Even though it's been WELL over 10 years since I tried the Cabbage Soup Diet, I still get a bit nauseous just thinking about it...by the 3rd-4th day on the diet, I just couldn't stomach that soup any longer!!! And an unwelcome 'bonus' of the diet was the, um, digestive noises...if you know what I mean....

Regarding veganism: I was a vegetarian (lacto-ovo most of the time except when I was a vegan) from 1991-2000 - almost a year of that time I was a TOTAL vegan - following Dr. John McDougall's diet plan in 1996. I lost weight, sure, but I also lost some of my hair and my skin turned terribly flaky and itchy (explanation - too little protein and/or fat - it was a VERY low fat, VERY low protein diet.). So I think there are some UNhealthy vegans out there, not getting what nutrients they need in their daily diets. Being a healthy vegan takes a LOT of planning.
MrsJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2004, 02:38 PM   #13  

Wow you sure look good in the photo Mrs. Jim!! 110 pounds, wow, good for you.

That is funny about the your memories of the CSD! My dad eats at least one avocado a day and tons of Brazil nuts -- maybe that's why he hasn't had the dry/skin dry hair?

Sure it takes a lot of planning, but what doesn't? My first "diet" schtick I ever did was Weight Watchers after my first kid was born and it nearly put me in away, the planning, planning planning!! Of course she's 14 now so they have changed "the plan" about 14 times since then, but I remember sitting there figuring out how I could have a sandwich and feeling like eating had turned into a big Rubic's cube type headache!! I HATED IT!! But I know that a lot of people, they love it and do it forever. But I will wager than they are about 1 in a 100. I think they count on 99% people dropping out and coming back for their entire natural lives.
Old 11-29-2004, 08:44 AM   #14  

Yes-the Weight Watchers plan has changed a lot-all you would have to do to have a sandwich is count the points in the bread and filling-and add them up-staying in your points range for the day.

Someone sticking to a certain plan (not just WW) is a very low percentage anyhow-most people yo-yo rather than stick with a way of healthier eating and exercise for life. Most dieters do just that...they go on a "diet" and when they lose some weight go right back to the eating and lifestyle that made them fat. (I have a couple of friends who have lost successfully on Atkins 2 or 3 times...because when they lose weight they go right back to eating the way they used to and are soon overweight again.)

Yes-vegetarian and vegan lifestyles do take a lot of planning to make sure you have enough protein and fat. I am lacto-ovo on my flexitarian days...so I can easily get protein and fat from eggs and dairy...but vegans should definitely eat some nuts, soy, legumes, avacado, a little olive oil, and such in their diets.

Yep-you can be vegetarian and still be overweight-it is all calories you take in vs. calories spent.
Old 11-30-2004, 12:29 PM   #15  

Just bringing this back up in case the person asking about the cabbage soup diet was looking for it since it looks like her thread was closed.

Honestly I think that the Atkins diet is way more wack than this one. I've seen people go into my coffee place and order full cream lattes because that way they don't have any carbs. Yes, drinking a half cup of heavy cream on the way to work and probably after eating eggs for breakfast. Recipe for a heart attack IMO. But that diet can have unlimited threads. To each his own I say...

Anyway if the person finds this thread, I'm on day four and feeling fine. Today is banana day for me so here's a recipe that anybody can make (CSD or not) than was really good for breakfast...you chill some evaporated skim milk (not the sweetened condenced kind, which is fattening!) and put it in the blender with frozen banana chunks, sweetener and cinnamon. This was really good!