Old 11-22-2004, 03:52 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 273.5/see ticker/125-150???

Height: 5'2"

Smile I'm new!! With lots of weight to lose

Hi there! I am new to the forums. I most definitely have over 100 pounds to lose. I am 33 yrs old, 5 foot 2 inches, and weighed in this morning at 261.75. Ugh.

According to the last doctor I went to (who I will NOT be seeing again), I should weigh no more than 110 pounds. Yeah, right. I don't know when I ever weighed that little!!! In high school, I was always around 155, and a size 14. I would be absolutely thrilled to get back there again. I used to think I was so huge and fat. When I look back at pictures of myself then, I could cry! I was cute!! But I never thought so.

Right now, I just want to lose this excess weight so that I can feel better and have the energy to keep up with my five-year-old. I don't want to miss out on doing things with her because I'm too fat. I want to be able to go on amusement park rides with her, and not worry about fitting in the seats. I want to be able to take long walks in the woods with her without feeling like I need to stop and rest every ten minutes.

Sheesh -- get me started and I don't shut up, huh? I am going to try restricting my carbs (as this is something that has worked well for me in the past -- but I didn't stick with it), as well as drinking water and exercising. These are two things that I simply do not do. I hate drinking water. But I am starting to get used to it. As for exercising -- I just don't. I have a treadmill, and need to get using it, but I always seem to be too tired. I think that will be the major stumbling-block for me. I know that it is something I need to do, but getting my butt up to do it is the hardest part for me.

I would welcome any support or encouragement you all have to offer

Darla
puff0518 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2004, 04:11 PM   #2  
Taking care of me.

Hi Darla and welcome to 3FC . This is a great place for support and encouragement.

I know how you feel about the water. I drink my three 24oz bottles on the days I exercise but that's usually about it. I still can't say that I like to exercise, but I do feel proud of myself each time I do it.

Search around the site and find a challenge or two to join. I've seen several for exercise and even some for the water. I forget which forum it is, but someone has a "water" game as well.

Jump right in on the threads and let us get to know you.
MoveMoveMove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2004, 04:17 PM   #3  
Want to feel better

S/C/G: S/C/G: 240/205/150

Height: 5' 0"

Welcome Darla,

This is a wonderful place ~ great people ~ so encouraging and supportive.

I can identify with how you thought about yourself in highschool. Me too. I wasn't big then maybe 110 ~ 115, but I thought I was fat. I look back at those pictures now and don't for the life of me know why I thought I was fat.

Anyway ~ join in and enjoy.
glynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2004, 04:23 PM   #4  

Hello Darla, Welcome to the group! You will find plenty of support and encouragement here. Good for you for deciding to try again. It's sometimes getting started that is the hardest and it looks like you are well on your way.
Tammy32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2004, 03:53 AM   #5  

Welcome to the forum. Like Tammy said, getting started is the hardest part and you've already jumped over the first hurdle Another thing that catches people, myself included, is continuing the quest. My suggestion to you is to post your goals where you will see them everyday. So when you need a reason to go exercise instead of sleeping in an extra few minutes, it'll be right there.

Look around the site. Make yourself at home. You have tons of support available right here when you need it.
dharmaspell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2004, 06:39 AM   #6  
There is no try, only DO

Welcome Darla From personal experience I've found a trick for getting the water down because I hate it too. I sit down with a room temp. 16.9 oz bottle and just keep taking long draws off it over the course of maybe 2 minutes. Then it's over and done till the next one.. do that 4 times and you've got just over a half gallon in.

Best of luck to you!

Heather
lil_cara_mia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2004, 08:44 AM   #7  
Getting back on track!

Hi Darla, welcome and Good Luck!
Annie-Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2004, 09:50 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 273.5/see ticker/125-150???

Height: 5'2"

Woo hoo! I actually drank a glass of water last night!! Only 12 ounces, but that's more than I usually ever drink. And I've started off today with water on my desk, so let's see how it goes!!
puff0518 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2004, 11:15 AM   #9  
PamPSM644

Hi Darla,I'm Pam.I started out with carbs because for me they had worked well years ago and for the first 2 weeks I did lose but it stopped after that so I switched to cals. Now I'm really seeing results. I've lost almost 50lbs sence Aug and life is becoming wonderful. I love Disneyland but haven't been able to go for many years. I wasn't able to walk that much and I was afraid I wouldn't be able to sit in the rides. Now I have high hopes that by spring I'll be ready to go.I've learned that dieting requires sacrafices but the rewards make it all worth while.
PamPSM644 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2004, 11:41 AM   #10  
Born Loser

S/C/G: 490/See Tracker/245

Hi Darla nice to meet you. I think I read somewhere that if you quit drinking the other liquids like pop and things that you natural taste for water will return. I have always loved water so I never had to test this out.
howie6267 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2004, 12:31 PM   #11  
I climb mountains!

S/C/G: 284/208/145

Smile

Welcome, Puff! Nice to have you here -- I'm sure you'll find this group enormously supportive and helpful. As for the water, I agree with Howie: it's very important that you delete the other stuff. You don't need diet soda right now if you're struggling to get down 12 oz. of water. This process of losing weight is about changing your habits for the better. Any poor habits that you may have put in place -- you know the ones, they're the ones that made you overweight (we all had 'em, or we wouldn't have gotten fat, right?) -- well those poor habits weren't always present, or they weren't always present to the DEGREE that they are now. So just as they got put in place and hurt you, you can remove them to help yourself. Nothing happens overnight, so be patient (hard as it is.) Also note that those healthy changes won't occur on their own either, so you're going to have to work hard to ensure that you're making progress. So that water could serve as a fine example: you did great in getting down the 12 oz. when you're not accustomed to doing that and didn't enjoy it one bit. You know it's necessary to your good health, so how are you going to drink more today? And tomorrow? This is the mindset you'll need to get where you want to go. Make goals, plan for how you're going to achieve them GRADUALLY, and reward yourself for all of your progress -- it all adds up! Back to that water: I struggled a lot initially also in terms of wanting to drink it. I wasn't used to drinking it at all anymore. So I set time-specific goals for myself, and now I'm up to a regular, easy 160 oz./day, and I'm NOT a pee-machine! (The body adjusts.) I started with, "I'm going to drink 4 20 oz. bottles of water per day. The first by 10:00 a.m., the second by 2:00 p.m., the third by 5:00 p.m., and the fourth by 7:00 p.m. I put little post-its on my computer monitor at work to tick off my progress and give myself a visual reminder. It may sound totally obsessive or something, but it worked for me. All of my progress thus far has been planned, and it was achieved through planning -- planned,and pre-prepared healthy meals and snacks, scheduled treat meals, planned exercise, etc. I've exercised regularly since I started in March, but didn't do it as frequently as I knew I needed to until a few months ago. Now I'm up to an average of 6 sessions/week, and there's not arguing with or cajoling myself to do it....I actually look FORWARD to it, and in the beginning, I was like you and doing it only through sheer gritty will.

After about a month, I was on total auto-pilot, and it requires very little work or thought on my part now....because I've created habits through repetition.

I really hope I'm not sounding preachy -- there are SO many ways to approach this journey, and what works for one may not work for another....but my approach is excellent for me, and I know some other successful "Losers" around here for whom the same approach has worked. Anyway, I truly wish you all the best, and encourage you to stick around here and turn to us for guidance and support. This amazing group is very loving, and very wise, and most of us really rely on one another for a lot.....and on a daily basis.

Again, welcome, Darla!
lessofsarahtolove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2004, 05:27 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 344/279.1/???

Height: 5'6"

Hi and welcome. You've been given such great advice. Sounds like you are off to a good start as well.

As for the exercise the 30-60 minutes a day 3-5x a week seems like a huge hill to get over. So this week, try for 5 minutes the first day, then 6, then 7, etc. work your way up. I don't know what you do in your job, but take a 5 or 10 minute break a couple of times a day and just walk.
barbygirl43 is offline   Reply With Quote