South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 11-18-2004, 03:15 PM   #1  
I found my hipbones!

Default South Beach in Schools

Thought you all might find this interesting. I'm curious to see how it turns out...

Posted on Wed, Nov. 17, 2004

Four Osceola schools use South Beach Diet for student lunches

Associated Press

KISSIMMEE, Fla. - Four Osceola County elementary schools created lunch menus based on the low-carbohydrate, lowfat South Beach Diet in an attempt to help about 2,700 students eat healthier.

The switch is part of a children's health study by Miami Beach cardiologist Arthur Agatston, author of the best-selling South Beach Diet books. If the diet helps students maintain a healthy weight, the study may be expanded to other school districts.

"We have to prove that we can go into a school system and without totally and expensively uprooting everything, make changes that will have a positive effect," Agatston said.

Students have been measured, weighed and fitted with pedometers to count each step they take and encourage them to keep active. The program ends in May

"We are not putting them on a diet, so to say," Agatston said. "We're teaching them to make better choices."

Instead of breaded chicken products and the white bread sandwiches found at many schools, the Osceola students get grilled chicken fajitas and ham on whole wheat.

Mill Creek Elementary, Partin Settlement Elementary and P.M. Wells Charter Elementary are joining Kissimmee Charter Elementary in the study. Two other schools are the control group and haven't had their menus changed.

The South Beach Diet eliminates carbohydrates during the first two weeks, but those restrictions were excluded from Osceola's school program. Instead the focus is more on fiber, which Agatston said is a key part of making sure children get the vitamins they need.

"We didn't take away their cookies, but we replaced them with oatmeal raisin," said Jean Palmore, the food service director for the school district.

---

Information from: Orlando Sentinel, http://www.orlandosentinel.com
Old 11-18-2004, 03:25 PM   #2  
Trapped Skinny Person

Sounds like a good plan to me.

I heard something recently about restricting pop and junk food vending machines from schools too - that should definitely be done.
Old 11-18-2004, 03:47 PM   #3  

After watching "Super Size Me", I definitely see where this could be beneficial. Especially as Bups mentioned, taking out the pop & junk food from the vending machines. Put bottled water in there and unsweetened tea and I'm guessing kids will buy it. If kids want junk bad enough they'll bring it, but at least you can stop them from buying it at school.
Old 11-18-2004, 10:00 PM   #4  

Height: 5'-2"

Sounds like a positive move.
Thanks for sharing the article, Fuzzy!
Closed Thread