Old 11-15-2004, 09:24 AM   #1  
I climb mountains!

S/C/G: 284/208/145

Thumbs up Weekly Exercise 11/15 - 11/21

Hello, sports fans! Well, I'm (with gratitude) robbing this wonderful thread idea from elsewhere on the site. It seemed to me that it would be a good idea to have a weekly thread here within our group devoted to exercise check-in; my thought is that it will help us to keep ourselves accountable for getting in some daily exercise, help us to motivate one another, and just plain be interesting since we like each other and are interested in how it's going for one another!

So, if you want to participate, just log in and give a quick post with an update on what you accomplished in the way of daily exercise! Doesn't have to be a big, long-winded explanation -- just the quick and the dirty, unless you have more to say!
lessofsarahtolove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2004, 11:35 AM   #2  
I climb mountains!

Smile

I'll be back later to give an update for today's exercise, but here are my results for last week (see siggy below for my month-to-date totals.) I promise I'll improve!

WATP Miles Walked: 13
HIIT Miles Biked: 12.75
Weights Workouts: 0 ( )
Step Workouts: 0 (I'm waiting for two new workouts to arrive)
Ramp Workouts: 2

Not so stellar, but at least I'm still exercising every day. Today will be Day 11. I'm expecting in the mail 4 DVD's: 2 for weights, and 2 for step. Then I'll work out my whole rotation, so I'm covering all bases and allow for muscle recovery, etc.
Old 11-15-2004, 12:33 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 240/ticker/120

Height: 5 foot 4

Wow Sarah you KICK BUMS!! You amaze me!!

I did 3 mile WATP. I just got Tae Bo Ultimate Abs and the tape looks extremely hard and fun!! It has a bunch of segments which equal to about 1hr workout. I'm going to TRY and do them though out the day. I'll also be back later to update. My ankles/knees feel fine and I got some new shoes they are Avia's Cross Trainers w/ anatomical cradle to hold my heel in place and calilever to soften impact. I'm also on the Glucosamine Sulfate 1000 for my knees. I wanted 1500 but they were out! Popular stuff!!

I'm trying not to think of the 3lbs I gain. Sabotaged by DH. Which is really upsetting because this is my 1st gain since I've been on the plan. I know I have to be stronger. I really love the guy but he used to leave candy, chips bakery goods next to my desk. I said use to because midweek he decided to go on a diet. I thought great we can help each other. Now it's worse he complained constantly about not being able to eat brats. (he had one the day before) Then he complained about pop and on and on... one after the other all though out the day/night... then when I asked if he wanted to do the 1mile WATP he said no he's not going to workout. He does enought at work. So he sat in the living room watching T.V. I wasn't able to do my workouts. Since he was watching it yes I could of asked him but I just didn't feel like getting that look! (I was weak) So between Halloween and now I've managed to put those nasty 3 lbs on. UGH!! I really think it's harder for me to be on my diet/workout now that he's on one. I want really want to work together with this but he has such a terrible attitude about his weight loss plan and the complaining is very stressful for me. I really didn't mean for this to be long and whining. . (that is why I haven't posted ) I'm going to stop now... thanks for letting me vent. I'll try and be strong..
Mez
P.S. Do I have to chang my ticker back to 221lbs?
WATP Miles 3 Miles
Tae Bo Ultimate Abs 0 Minutes
Richard Simmons 0
I want that Body SOF 0
Pilates 0
Arm & Abs Of Steel 0

P.S.S. Sarah I hope you don't mind me "Borrowing" your Ideal on posting your workouts.
mezmerize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2004, 12:50 PM   #4  

Mez, you don't have to change your ticker if you don't want to. You can make it your goal to get back to where you were. Either way I don't think anyone will think any less of you. Just posting here that you gained and your frustrations was hard to do. I applaude you for being so forthright with your gain.

Fortunately I have a very supportive husband. We exercise together but if he does not want to because he is busy with something else I take the incentive and go on my own. Grab that remote and take control of the TV and do that workout. It's your right has a loser!! heheh...Just let his complaining go in one ear and out the other. Be considerate and a good listener but you don't have to let his attitude bring you down. My husband and I look at exercising as spending quality time together. What could be important than staying healthy for each other and our family. That is true quality time!! Very bonding. Maybe if you are patient he will come around about the way he is thinking. Don't let your gain push you further back. You can be strong!!
Tammy32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2004, 04:44 PM   #5  

Default Update

OMG Stick a fork in me I'm done!!! Sarah I think you might enjoy this workout!!
It was one H*LL of a workout. I didn't do it all only 25 minutes and the sweat was pouring off me. (sorry if I gross you out) I FEEL AWESOME!!! I'm SOOOOOOOOO HAPPY and Stinky!! LOL I also got my 10,000 + steps in so far. Life is good.
Mez
Old 11-15-2004, 04:50 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 261/158/below 160

Height: 5'8" (Dang, I shrank an inch!)

1 hour deep water aerobics
2 mile WATP
20 min. stretching
and a forced march for my little dog
Sheila53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2004, 05:06 PM   #7  

Tammy thanks for your support. I'll going to do my best to stay positive. I'll try and be more understanding/strong and lead by example ... I'm sure he's having a ruff time. He's doing his own thing. I'm not sure what he's very secreative. I've picked up some books Atkins and South Beach for him. Just in case he might want to try that. I also entered him in my WW Pure Points Software. Plus my Diet Power Software. I'm thinking he can pick what he likes from each. I have a long talk with him and show him and leave him alone. I think things will be fine.
Old 11-15-2004, 07:18 PM   #8  
Jennifer

Quick update. No formal exercise this weekend, as I had to go to drive 7 hours to/from Virginia for a wedding. However, I did dance my booty off on the dance floor ("She's a brick... HOUSE," which is sort of my "pump up" song when it comes to lifting weights).

Today I did upper body weights, but didn't get a chance to do cardio as the gym was packed. Tomorrow...
teapotdynamo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2004, 09:14 PM   #9  
Abby's Mommy

Monday -- CHECK!

I finally got off my bum and did something tonight! Actually, I did have a good excuse for resting up over the weekend...A couple of years ago, I "strained" my ACL, and last week when I ramped it up a bit, I must have over done it. I aggravated that knee, and had to limp around in my brace all weekend. Oh, well. So, tonight, I ventured back to the gym, and did a slow 30 mins on the elliptical, then arms and abs. I feel good, but I dont have that exercise high like I usually do, but at least I went!
Ivanna B. Skinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2004, 09:59 PM   #10  

Monday:

Walking: 5 miles
Bike: 1 mile, was waiting on an elliptical to open up.
Elliptical: 4 minutes of HIIT (30 sec. jog, 30 sprint, etc.) An additional 20 minutes. Total of 2.05 miles.
30 minutes of lower body work with Nautilus

All total I burned almost 1000 calories today.

I have a few questions though. I am new to HIIT. I went to one site and they suggested doing it for 4 minutes. Like I mentioned above and then work up to a 15 minute cycle in 8 weeks. Then on another website it suggested that you sprint (just an example) for a minute and then jog for up to two minutes and repeat. Does it matter which approach? Will they both work? Secondly, I do cardio and weights on the same day. Should I do my cardio first or last. On the HIIT website they suggested you do your weight training first and then your cardio. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Tammy32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2004, 10:00 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 273/260.1/163

Height: 5'7"

Well, I finally have enough energy to add some exercise in... plus thanks to my lovely friend in Texas who sent me WATP the 1 mile workout. Just the perfect amount of time for me! I did it yesterday and today.. my goal is to do it 6 days a week. We'll see.

-Aimee
SwimGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2004, 10:34 PM   #12  
I climb mountains!

Hello all! Tonight I biked 9 miles in 30 minutes -- mostly steady rate, just a couple of intervals.

Aimee -- congrat's on the WATP acquisition! I'm glad that you're enjoying it -- I have to say that the 20-minute timeframe sure makes it difficult to come up with reasonable excuses. I hope you keep it up!

Mez -- I was so pleased to hear about your workout!! Go, YOU! I agree with Jen's words to you, and am glad to hear that you're going to just move forward on your own -- you can only set a good example, you can't do it for him. I think it's great that you're providing different options for him, but ultimately, he's going to have to make up his mind that he really wants it. And when he does, you'll still be there doing it, living it, walking it every day. I'm proud of you. I have trouble with my partner too, but we just have to be strong and focus on our continued progress even if the ones we love don't share that focus. It just is what it is, and even though it's harder to go it alone with someone who's not pulling in the same direction, we just have to stay strong and dig in our heels to put our own needs (like exercise and cooking healthy food) if not first, at least in equal footing to their needs to live off-plan. You're going to have to just assert your rights, and continually remind him that you're doing something really important for yourself. That's what I'm doing, and I have to repeat it a lot, but if I do it in a way that doesn't make her feel guilty or defensive, it goes over a lot better! (Then in a couple of days -- or less -- I have to do it all over again! )

Tammy -- Hmm... HIIT, my favorite! Well, definitely do the weights FIRST, as you don't want to use up all your juice before you even get to the weights. Ideally, you'd do them at different times of day, making sure to have protein in your system both before and after the weights workout, and adding some simple carbs to that protein after the workout too. Your muscles really want them then. As for the 4 minute thing: huh?? 4 minutes? Not really sure where that comes from. I've heard 20 minutes, if you're really going full throttle, because the argument there is that if you're really giving it you're all, you can't actually DO more than 20. And if you can, then your "10" intensity level might not have been a 10 after all, or perhaps you could have squeezed out another 10 interval. I find that sometimes I use that approach, and other times I combine intervals with steady rate, and use the steady rate to buy me more time on the bike, so I'm burning more calories ultimately, while still all reaping the benefits of the intervals. Now it may be different for a jogging/running combo, because that's increasing your running skillset not just adding intervals. So there's more conditioning occurring. I don't run (YET!) so I can't give you much in the way of advice on that, but it sounds like maybe that 4-minute recommendation is not simply addressing the introduction of intervals, but the intervals of RUNNING, specifically. Learning to run properly is not something that happens overnight. A lot of people go to classes or follow very specific programs to build their running endurance and learn to run safely. I know that there are some great websites out there on running; have you checked them out yet? Very EXCITING! Running is one of my ultimate goals, but I want to be careful with my knees, so I'm waiting till I lose more poundage to start. (I did jog a little on my nature hike yesterday, and that was pretty freaking exciting! Seriously!)
Old 11-16-2004, 09:09 AM   #13  
Jennifer

Now *I'm* the one who's confused! I think maybe our definitions of what HIIT are may be different. Sarah, what you're describing is entirely new to me (I think). The kind of interval training I do is to go really fast or up the resistance for a specified period of time (or you can do it with a particular heart rate), then recover for another specified period of time. For instance, on the elliptical trainer, I do 3-minute intervals -- 3 minutes of hardcore resistance, then 3 minutes of at a lower resistance. Other people do shorter or longer intervals, but I like 3 minutes. I know there's some science behind which burns fat faster, but I just do what I think is challenging & makes me sweat!

Now, Sarah... please do explain how you do intervals! I'm intrigued...
Old 11-16-2004, 09:12 AM   #14  
Jennifer

Oops - exercise update for today:

30 minutes on the stairmaster
15 on the elliptical
Old 11-16-2004, 10:16 AM   #15  
I climb mountains!

Smile

Jen, it sounds to me like you're doing what I'm talking about. In Tammy's post, it seemed like she was going to jog with 4-minute running intervals, and I had never heard the "4-minute" part, so I was guessing that it was a running thing, which can require more training and conditioning than some others, like biking or the elliptical.

I've shared a bunch of HIIT-related links and been a part of a lot of discussion on the topic, and I know that others have as well. So I did a search on "HIIT," and cherry-picked some of the better threads with info that could be helpful to those interested in the topic:

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/show...highlight=hiit(in this one I provided a couple of links to other sites with info on HIIT)
http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/show...highlight=hiit
http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/show...highlight=hiit
http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/show...highlight=hiit (this one has some info on why you do weights before cardio, rather than after)

Hope that's enough to get you started! Later, lovelies!