Closed Thread

Old 06-15-2001, 07:43 PM   #1  
Strange Little Girl

Default College Gals #4

Hey guys...how is everyone? It's getting awfully empty around here (Kim wipes cobwebs off of the thread).

I'm doing my best to be reasonable when I eat, but I haven't been an angel, trust me.

Still at it with the gym stuff, though. I've gained 3 pounds! Can you believe this? But I feel better, so I'm concentrating on that. Maybe I've gained some muscle, and eventually it's going to help me attack all that fat I want to rid myself of.

I've been reading up on exercise and dieting lately. And I realize more than ever before how hard it really is to do. Once you get into it, and it becomes a way of life, it shouldn't be too tough. But getting there, wow! You know ten minutes on the elliptical machine only burns an average of 100 calories or so for me? I probably only burn off half of my subway sandwich or a soda when I do the full 30 minutes. It's frustrating when you look at it that way. So I'm trying not to. I'm going to keep on building muscle to fight the fat, and I'm going to attempt to eventually up my aerobic workout to 45 minutes...and then someday...maybe an hour. But we're taking it slow right now.

30 minutes is all I've been doing, but I'm thinking about trying for 35 tonight. Then I'm going to lift the weights, and come back to do ten minutes more! If I break it up like that, eventually I can do an hour split into 45 and 15...then maybe someday a consecutive 60 minutes. I'd burn 700 calories after 60 minutes! 5 days a week, that's 3500 calories...you know what that equals...One pound! Just from the aerobic workout. If I watch what I eat some more and keep building muscle, it'll just get easier and easier.

I'm trying to look at it in a real positive light. Plus, before, when all I did was diet, it was harder, because I had no muscle to help me burn my calories. I'm a total wuss (and I'm trying to fix that). I wouldn't have had definition either, because I wasn't working out at all.

I wish you all luck, ladies!!! Hope the scale starts to look prettier for all of us soon...although it's not the numbers, it's how you feel! I'm feeling pretty good!

~Kim
(now: 172ish/ someday: 138ish)
Old 06-17-2001, 11:23 AM   #2  
Kool Kat

Hey, everyone! Ok, I've slacked quite a bit myself. But as far as weigh in... I am down- a bunch. But this past week has been hectic for me, and I ate bad things. So, I'm not sure. Until last week, I was .4 lbs away from my 10% goal.

My boyfriend had a concert last night. It rocked. So, that was fun. If any of you guys are into Christian rock, lemme know. His website is www.6pointscrossing.com. At the moment, they are a small local band, but they have real talent. If you decide to visit, I believe you can get the old version of one of their songs.

Anyway!!! I'm playing promotions girl yet again!! (Not that I mind or anything )

I need to get back on my diet cause I really want that 10%. I hope I haven't done too much damage to my weight goals, but I honestly think its anything a weeks worth of being good won't fix

Anyway, I Was just checking in, now that I got my computer back from the second crash of the year!! I hope to hear from y'all soon!!

Seren Dee
Old 06-17-2001, 11:08 PM   #3  
Bacon Girlie

S/C/G: see signature

Height: 5/4

Hey, Girls! Kim, Im so glad you've been keeping up, and your exercising sounds wonderful

I've been doing some walking, I only did 3 miles/3 days this week, but I think I'm gonna go back to the elliptical again like you are, Kim. I used to be able to do 60 consecutive minutes...It's good to break it up like you are, but do you think doing the minutes consecutively is better for calorie burning and weight loss? I'm not positive, but I know on the machines there is a chart, and as you progress through your workout, your body works harder....

Yeah, I can't wait to get back. I'll go tomorrow. I guess walking isn't going to cut it!

I ate really well this week. I lost half a pound, but I have SO far to go until my 1st 10%. I started off really well in March and it's 3 months later and I'm not progressing much.

I want to be at 200lbs this weigh in. That means exercise Mon-Wed and keeping my eating like it was last week. I joined a new class - it's at 4.45p instead of 7a like before, so it will be harder for weigh-in! I'll practically eat NOTHING all day just to make weigh-in!

Anyway, I'll try to post more often. I usually figure no ones around so i'm hardly ever here!

Talk to you all soon!
Old 06-18-2001, 06:39 PM   #4  
Strange Little Girl

Got my subway today...the club without the ham. I've never been a big fan of ham.

Good to see you guys back on here! I've missed you.
I'm not sure what I'm weighing these days, but I look in the mirror and feel a lot better. I think I've lost inches...but maybe not pounds...yet. Still trying to build that muscle so that I can burn more calories. The more muscle you've got, the more you can eat without worrying. I really need to get a reliable scale.

I'm going to the gym tonight. Haven't gone since Friday, so I'm going to try and get a really good workout in tonight. I really feel like I'm doing this right this time. All the other times I tried to lose weight, I just cut back on what I ate or dieted only. I would get frustrated because I would crave stuff, and eventually I would just completely throw the whole thing off and start eating crap again. This time, I'm learning about the way my body works. I'm focusing on the exercise more than the food, although I'm watching what I eat. I'm drinking lots of water, and I really understand how this whole process works now. I understand the importance of weight training, and how to watch my calories, and that it takes 3,500 calories lost in your week to lose one pound! I'm playing the game right this time...

I hope in a few months I'll be a whole new person with great stuff to report. So far, it's only been about two weeks of steady exercise and good eating. Although I have to admit, the good eating part falters sometimes. But my stomach has shrunk, I can tell that for sure. I can't eat the quantities I used to. I also need to find ways to kill that "I'm bored, what's in the fridge" mode I get in sometimes. I'm going to find new ways to keep myself busy. I'm going to get out, ride my bike, clean the house, read a good book, or go shopping to treat myself! Things are really going to change in my attitude towards life. It feels great! I wish this for all of you!!!

If I have time this week, I'm going to make some new cool workout tapes I can listen to while I'm on the elliptical. If the music has enough energy, it'll keep me going longer. Honestly, if I had nothing to listen to, I couldn't go more than 10 minutes, just from boredom and concentrating too much on how tired I am. But with Madonna or Depeche Mode, I can go for over 30 minutes with tons more energy to go with the beat!

~Kim
P.S. Keep drinking the water!
Old 06-18-2001, 10:24 PM   #5  
Bacon Girlie

Angry Boredom

Kim, I totally know what you mean. I need my music! I love to listen to Prodigy's "fat of the land". It's the best workout CD.

I love the elliptical. I got back on it and amazingly did 60 minutes for the first time in a long time. Kim, I think you inspired me. I know the markings aren't totally correct, but I had almost 9500 revolutions and burned over 1000 calories. The numbers look good...I wonder what they really were. I put my correct weight in, but whatever. I always try to do better or the same as each time I do it. It's a great workout.

I won't be able to get to the gym tomorrw because we're visiting family after work, but maybe we'll get done in time before the gym closes. Oh well. I'm not gonna beat myself up if I don't do it every day.

Talk to you soon.

Girlie
Old 06-18-2001, 10:29 PM   #6  
Bacon Girlie

Default Tip

Oh, and Kim a little tip for you.

I'm not sure what elliptical machine you use, but the one I have is a Precor with all these settings on it. I think the best way for you to monitor what you do is not just by calories, but by looking at cals per minute or revolutions per minute and make sure you are being consistent with them every time you work out. Today I never went below 16 cals per minute and went up to 19 at times. Normally I'm around 17.

But I don't use any resistance, but I have it at about the highest incline. I think the higher the incline, the easier it is..for me at least.

Also, not holding on to any bars is easier for me...it took me time to be able to keep my balance though.

Oh, and maybe every once in a while, switch directions. That way, your one set of muscles can rest while the others work. Helps you stay on longer.

You're doing so great!

Girlie
Old 06-18-2001, 11:27 PM   #7  
Strange Little Girl

Sorry I'm writing so much...but I'm bored at work. Waiting to get off to go work out.

Girlie--I do think it's better to stay on cosecutively, but at this point, 30-35 minutes is all i can handle at one time! So I'm just trying to get it in anyway I can...

So far today:

Subway sandwich (turkey, roast beef, cheese, honey mustard, lettuce, pickles, vinegar, s$p)

Baked Lays (sour cream and cheddar flavor)

Diet pepsi

Slim Fast Meal-On-The-Go bar

Water (20 oz. so far)

I plan on having a fairly decent dinner, but dinner is where I'm usually a little bit on the bad side. I'll do my best tonight guys, I promise!!!

I know I'm not eating exactly right, but it's sooo much better than I used to be. When I move out and get that veggie steamer and the George Foreman grill, I'm going to cook meals to eat for dinner and it will be great!

I also need to start taking vitamins...but I have a really weak stomach so its hard to do. I think I'm going to talk to my doctor about a good way to get my vitamins in without feeling naseous.

And for exercise tonight:

35-45 minutes total on the elliptical

150 crunches on the ab machine

2 sets of each for weights:
biceps, triceps, shoulders, back, and maybe some leg stuff

30 lunges and 30 squats (with weights)
20 hydrants (those icky butt exercises where you look like you're a dog lifting its leg to pee...gosh those hurt!)

120 calf raises on each leg (no weights)

And then tomorrow is just cardio only day. I have to give myself a break from the weights sometimes. I only do what I can handle.

That should do it for tonight. I might not end up doing the squats, hydrants, and lunges, because I do those at home, and sometimes I get lazy. But those are the areas I should be concentrating on more.

Hope I actually get done what I said I would!! Wish me luck!

~Kim

P.S. Girlie--I hope you end up having as much fun at the gym as I have been... I'm beginning to enjoy the sweat and the burn! I feel like I'm earning it, you know?
Old 06-20-2001, 03:38 PM   #8  
cookies are for browsers

Looks like everybody is exercising! Good!

Kim, I can't take vitamins. I can eat one kiddie vitamin a day but that's the most I can tolerate. Doc says that some people simply can't tolerate them. Anyway, to supplement my diet, I bought a good juicer (about $80). You can "drink" an entire pineapple at one sitting!! And it is soooo goood you will not go back to storebought. This helps get lots of vitamins in without the nausea, erectopilia (when the hair on your arms stands on end), skin flushes, etc. It's a thought.

Girlie, I like to work out to Prodigy, too. Have you tried Orbital? Really awesome. I also find Nitzer Ebb and the soundtrack to Saturday Night Fever to be fun.

I've been riding my bicycle almost every evening, and I'm up to about 5 or 6 miles. I finally found exercise that I actually look forward to. It's great to be able to "house shop" for a friend while I'm exercising. Now that I'm done with my course requirements I'll be able to ride my bike to the library to finish working on my thesis. Now that is motivation. I think it's because the bike is so groovy that I love riding it so much!!

I'm doing the Subway thing too, but only a couple of times a week. I have pretty much figured out that if I eat at restaurants regularly I am going to gain weight.

Keep up the good work, all!

Jennifa
209/I threw my scale away and am doing much better at staying OP, thank you/170
Old 06-20-2001, 03:53 PM   #9  
Bacon Girlie

Default HI!

It's so nice to see so much going on in this thread.

I'm off to the gym again pretty soon. I actually hate it, but I like the rush while I'm on the elliptical. By the time I'm off of that machine, the gym is so full of naked flesh that I just wanna get out...run out...

Kim, I'm glad you're having fun. That's really cool and will keep you going on your exercise kick for a while. And 30-45 minutes on the elliptical is great! It took me a while of working and mental stimulation to get to that point...most of it for me isn't that I can't physically do it, much of it is mental and telling myself not to get off.

Jennifa, I haven't tried orbital, but I know of a few songs. A compilation that came out several years ago by MTV's AMP has a really good selection. I do have a Crystal Method CD that I can use too, but I love that Prodigy CD.

Anyway, I have to get going! Talk to you soon!

Girlie
Old 06-21-2001, 08:52 AM   #10  
Bacon Girlie

Angry Pop Tarts

Geez I'm eating Pop Tarts! I always seem to eat more junk while I'm doing well on my exercise! Darnit!

I did my elliptical last night, but it took me almost 65 minutes for me to hit "1000 cals burned" this time. I guess my legs are just tired from Monday night. We'll see how well I do tonite.

I was so tired when I left work, but usually I do my best when I feel the crappiest. How strange.

So that's all I do at the gym...at least 60 mins of elliptical and I walk for a few minutes as a cool down. I don't like to lift weights and I have some good muscle now, but I want to work on cardio and weight loss before I get into building more muscle. I will start that when I get closer to your weight, Kim.

I think it's an okay workout. Many people do like 20 mins of 3 different machines or something, but I don't like moving around..I'd rather just get an hour over with at one time. That's just me because you know I hat that stuff.

Talk to you ladies later!
Old 06-21-2001, 10:09 PM   #11  
Strange Little Girl

I'm glad to see everyone coming back around.

I'm starting to get a little frustrated guys, although I'm not giving up. I haven't seen any change on the scale, after three weeks of dedicated exercise at the gym. Five to six days a week and nothing! I think maybe I have a little less of a stomach, thighs, and butt, but I'm beginning to think it's in my head. I really want to start seeing it on the scale. It's almost a month now. I really wanted to impress people I haven't seen in a long time. I'm going to see a lot of them at this barbecue on Saturday. It's a pool party, and I'm nowhere near ready to get into a bathing suit, let alone a two piece!

I'm not quite sure what I'm doing wrong. I'm going to cut back more on what I eat, watch out for sodium (I looove salt, and I think I may be retaining water), start taking vitamins (if I can stomach it), drink more water, and up my cardio to an hour every day I go to the gym. I'll do 45 minutes, then 15 later. I have to break it up like that...because I think I'd get really bored after an hour and wouldn't do it. I did 35 in a row yesterday and I wasn't that tired, because I slowed my RPMs so I could make it. But my calorie burn ended up virtually the same. I'm going to focus more on certain target areas, too. I need to do way more for my thighs, stomach, and butt.

This really is a full-time job. I hate to think it'll be this difficult all my life. I don't know if I'm ready to dedicate this much time for the rest of my life just to look good. Argh!

I keep thinking that this is the solution to all my self-esteem problems. But when you think about it, guys, it's really not. My self esteem problem is a problem within myself, not about what's in the mirror. I seem to think that if I looked like a movie star I would have no bad days. That is not at all true. I need to get my head in focus, as well as my body. I need a better image of myself, and I don't want to validate my self worth through how "cute" I am to people. I'm trying to drive that into my head, and do other things to help myself, while taking care of my body.

I'm glad to hear from you guys and I'm glad we're all getting back on the exercise track. Congrats on everyone's loss!!!

~Kim
172 now/138ish someday
Old 06-21-2001, 10:13 PM   #12  
Strange Little Girl

P.S. Jennifa--Thanks for the advice on the vitamins. I'll look into a juicer!

~Kim
Old 06-23-2001, 09:21 PM   #13  
cookies are for browsers

Hi, Kim,

I'm glad you are still posting. Where did everybody else go? Well, I hope they post again soon.

You really touched a sore spot with "am I going to have to work this hard... forever???" The answer is yes.
Somehow we are going to have to get exercise as a non-negotiable part of life. Somehow we have to get to a
point where we can be satisfied with reasonable serving sizes, and sometime we have to decide if we are going
to live life fat or thin. It sucks but it's the truth, I'm not going to lie to you.

What I have noticed is that when I live in different parts of the country, my weight fluctuates. Right now I'm in a fat area and I'm trying to figure out what it was that I did differently when I lived somewhere else and was thin.

I don't even know how much I weigh anymore. I gave my scale away. It's helped me stay OP better, but I
suppose I need some kind of measure. I guess I'll weigh myself at the grocery?

Keep working out and even if you don't see the results on the scale, you will feel better about yourself, you will be stronger, and you will look better no matter what you weigh.
Old 06-29-2001, 07:07 PM   #14  
Bacon Girlie

Thumbs down Hello!

So where are all of ya!

I have been gone for a while too!

I haven't been to the gym lately...just wanting to, but being too lazy to do so!

You're right, Kim...this really IS a full time job....
and it sucks that we have to have this job for the rest of our lives!

Kim, you know, I bet you look great. At 172, you are 10lbs away from where I want to be! That's great! You've probably built some muscle in all this exercise, and so you're not seeing the changes on the scale. Just be patient, and know that you are helping yourself no matter what the scale says.

Jennifa, that's great that you got rid of the scale. If it helps to keep you on track, then do it!!!

Talk to you soon,

Girlie
Old 07-02-2001, 12:57 PM   #15  
cookies are for browsers

Hi Kim, Hi Girlie!

How are you losers doing? I keep seeing less and less of you!

I just got my primary text in for my thesis project. Yipes. I am going to be pretty busy for a while! This dieting thing is not working. I have tried and tried WW since Easter but it doesn't seem like I have any kind of loss. I have been exercising every day and staying OP more or less - nobody's perfect - but no results. I think I may have some kind of problem that is preventing a loss. This is so lame!

At least I have my studies to fret about.

How are you ladies doing? Do let me know, keep posting!

Jennifa
Closed Thread