Old 11-14-2004, 06:21 PM   #1  
Aunt to many Mom to none.

Height: 5' 6"

Exclamation May I join?? ANother Question.

My name is Tina and I'm 29 (8 months to go until 30) and weigh in at 272lbs. My healthy weight is 145-165lbs. I lost 50lbs, 265 to 215 last fall, but gained 60 back when I stopped, due to fear of what atkins would do to my failing fertilely. I've gained 55 lbs since getting married in Sept. 2000. My dh has gained almost 80, but has lost about 15 in the last two months.

Some 'fat symptoms' I have.
My ankles always hurt, I can barely walk through the grocery store let
alone from one side of the room to the other.
Gas, is very bad... all day long.
Every bone/muscle in my body aches, all the time. I'm always having to
use the heating pad for something.
Tired all the time. I am falling asleep by 6pm and up at 4am, that's to
much sleep!
I have no 'passion' for the things I once loved. Like taking long walks in
the cool of the fall nights. The thought of actually walking anywhere
makes me tired!

My goals, as of now, aren't so much losing weight, Yes, I NEED to lose alot of weight. But right now. I just want to work on feeling like me again! I know I'll probably NEVER get back to my early 20's 135lb self. But I just want to feel good about myself and not be in pain every second of my life, like now.

Last edited by mrs_streams; 11-17-2004 at 05:29 AM. Reason: edit title
mrs_streams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2004, 06:40 PM   #2  

Heya Tina, Welcome!! Some of your symptoms sound alot like depression, but I am betting that you already know that. Best advice I can give you right now is take some small steps. Regular soda to Diet Soda, lower fat choices, etc. Bad foods make you feel bad. Even the little things are going to make a difference. Don't want to sabotage your efforts from the get-go by taking on to much. I'm sure if you are having joint pain that exercise is probably painful. Baby steps there also. I think you have a pretty vicious cycle going on. I do know that weight loss and exercise will certainly make those joints feel alot better. Been there, done that one. I used to be super depressed. Once I started exercising I noticed that I am not nearly as depressed as I used to be. Kicks up the endorphines and seratonin levels. You and your husband can support each other since he is getting into shape also. Take care and nice to meet you.
Tammy32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2004, 06:59 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 261/158/below 160

Height: 5'8" (Dang, I shrank an inch!)

Welcome! Please join us--we'd love to have you!

Tammy made some excellent suggestions and points. I used to suffer from depression, and found that exercise was a big help, although at my weight, it's about the last thing I wanted to do. Don't worry about what you may or may not weigh in the future--just concentrate on taking some of those baby steps that Tammy mentions.
Sheila53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2004, 09:04 PM   #4  

Welcome!!! Glad you have joined in!!!
Jazzmine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2004, 11:14 PM   #5  
Long Time Member

Height: 5'6

Welcome Tina!!! You have come to the right place for support!!!

You have been given some pretty good advice already. I am wondering what your plans are? I'm sure you know that you need to modify your diet and add some exercise. But nobody says it has to be drastic.

As for the exercise, walk to the end of your driveway today. Tomrrow, do it again and if you can go to the next driveway. Keep it up. If you can only do what you did the day before, then do that. It's just a matter of doing something.

Food, same way. What's your worst habit? start there. Baby steps.

Glad to have you!!
Sandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2004, 12:12 AM   #6  
Old Cackler

what smart people we have around here!!!! nice to meet you, tina...

i'm concerned about some of the symptoms you're describing - they sound like they could be fibromyalgia.... and it fits well with the depression as well..

do you have a supportive doc you can actually TALK to? the kind who won't simply say 'oh it's your weight, go away'?

good luck.. keep posting. ranting. whatever it takes...
jiffypop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2004, 01:33 AM   #7  
Getting back on track!

Hello Tina,
We are GLAD to have you here! There are some great people here - its a good place to be.
Welcome!!!!
Annie-Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2004, 05:42 AM   #8  

Thanks so much everyone!

- I have already switched to diet pepsi, as of a year ago. I just need to work on my water.

- We have a tred mill, I just need to force myself to get on it! I do alot of walking at work, which is probably why I haven't gained as fast as in the past. Mostly I feel the 'gain' on the weekends. If I get to work early enough, I do 'laps' around our main 'big' room. It's not that big, but it's better then nothing

- As far as the fibromyalgia, my mom has it, and yes, I've been told I may very well have it. But they also said it was to soon to diagnosis me. I've been to 3 Dr's in the last 4 years, all tell me the same, it's weight related, and they won't do anyother tests until I get to a healthy weight, it's a waste of time and money they say. Dr's have offered 'diet aides' but I'd rather not do that unless there are no other options. I hate the thought of having to take a pill or two every day. I try really hard not to take anything, unless I 'm in utter pain.

- My worst habit, was going to McDonalds every am. But, we watched that 'Super Size Me' moive and I have cut down to only once a week. I'm working on not going at all!

- I'm also trying to de-stress my life, I am always overreacting about stuff, always worried I'm going to get fired and such. I tried handing over the bills to my husband in the beginning of June (And we all know how hard it is to give up control). But, he didn't pay any of them! We are very behind in everything, because I was 'relaxing'. Though, it was the most relaxing summer thus far. The fall has sucked though.
I better get ready for work. I over slept, and am running behind. LOL. Have a great day! And, THanks again! ~Tina

P.S. What days do we weigh in around here?
Old 11-15-2004, 05:58 AM   #9  
Getting back on track!

There is usually a weekly weigh in post. I'll do one if no one else has yet. Have a good day Tina!
Annie-Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2004, 11:51 AM   #10  
We're TTC!!

S/C/G: 303/281/Goal#1:271

Height: 5'3"

Hi Tina!

I am new,also. You sound a lot like me! Newlywed, gained weight over the past year. It truly stinks. I think a lot of my weight gain has been due in part to excessive eating out and stress, very similar to what you described. Financial problems really affect every aspect of your life. My husband and I made a pact...we are not eating out much anymore. It's too expensive, we dont enjoy it anymore, and we're getting fatter! In the 2 weeks we have cut that down, we both feel so much healthier, have lost some weight, and feel better knowing that not all our money is going to eating out. One thing I really suggest is eating 3 times a day. It somehow helps with the cravings and the mindless snacking. I never used to eat 3 times a day. Maybe just once, a huge dinner. I also recommend eating a fairly high protein breakfast...it seems to kick up the metabolism. I sometimes have reduced fat peanut butter on 1 slice whole wheat toast, 1 hard boiled egg with 1 slice turkey bacon, or something with a little healthy fat to start your engine for the day. Lunch is hard for me, I dont have much time. So I sometimes have fruit, a salad, or tuna with toast. The hardest part for me is to control portions! I am getting somewhat better. I used to go to food when I was depressed, but I realized it can be just another enemy. I had to learn that food is supposed to keep me alive, not solve my problems, which took me some time to learn! Good luck to you and hang in there! WE ALL CAN DO THIS!!!!
rebelridergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2004, 12:56 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 240/ticker/120

Height: 5 foot 4

Welcome Tina & rebelridergirl. Others have given great advice. As far as weight ins you can choose what day how often and even change those dates it totally up to you. You'll find what works out best for you. Once again welcome
mezmerize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2004, 01:00 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 344/279.1/???

Height: 5'6"

Hi and welcome. Not much more to add. You've been given some great advice.
barbygirl43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2004, 01:13 PM   #13  
Abby's Mommy

Welcome Tina and Rebelriidergirl! So many new faces around here!!
Ivanna B. Skinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2004, 08:10 PM   #14  
Born Loser

S/C/G: 490/See Tracker/245

Welcome Tina glad you could join us. There is a lot of great people and advice here.
howie6267 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2004, 05:34 AM   #15  

Thumbs up

Okay, I weighed myself at my moms about 3 weeks ago, maybe 4. And their scale said I weighed in at 272. two weeks abo, my friends scale said I weigh abut the same, 270. My scale yesterday am, said I weight 269ish. I went to the DR, due to a cough and sore throat, and their scale said I weight 260 barely, it kept tipping back and fourth onto 259!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Now, I know that I didn't lose that weight. I hadn't been trying. SO, has anyone else found that thier at home scale be this wrong? The RN said, that people always say their scale is a few pounds 'heavy'. The nurse also told me, that if I want to go in, once a week, they would let me weigh myself for free on their scale, since ours is busted, we can never find scales that work right. Have a great am, and thanks again for the warm welcome. I'll try to be back on tonight, but most likely tomorrow am. ~TIna