Old 11-11-2004, 06:19 AM   #1  

Default Time For Serious Fun #89

TIME FOR SERIOUS FUN

We are a thread dedicated to making losing weight a pleasant experience. We laugh, cry and talk together. We have challenges, points for staying on program, drinking our water, and exercising. We have a daily topic to join in. Our only focus is to help us realize that dieting and all that goes with it need not be unpleasant, but can be fun. Come join the fun here at Time for Serious Fun! Everyone is Welcome!

TOPICS:

Monday: Mission Monday New mission each week
Tuesday: Target Tuesday We target something to work on
Wednesday: Wednesday's Woes Our day to complain about anything and everything
Thursday: Time for Us Thursday The day set aside to pamper us!
Friday: Fabulous Lbs Down Friday. Report our losses!
Saturday: Sunny Thoughts Saturday We share stories and jokes to help us smile
Sunday: Silly Poll Sunday A new poll to give your thoughts to every week

POINTS VALUES:

STAYING ON PROGRAM IS 2 POINTS
DRINKING YOUR WATER IS 1 POINT
EXERCISING IS 1 POINT

POSTING A WTG: A WTG IS WHEN SOMETHING NON WEIGHT LOSS HAPPENS TO YOU LIKE A NEW DRESS IN A SMALLER SIZE. TO POST A WTG, USE ALL CAPS AND POST IT IN PINK. FOR EXAMPLE: WTG: I rode my bike 2 miles instead of one today.

THIRD QUARTER CHALLENGE SEPT 1-JAN 1. THE MOST LBS LOST WILL WIN A $30 VISA GIFT CARD! ONLY THOSE WHO ARE MEMBERS AS OF THE START OF THE QUARTER ARE ELIGIBLE FOR THE PRIZE, NEWBIES, ARE ELIGIBLE THE NEXT QUARTER THOUGH ALL MAY JOIN THE CHALLENGE!
gma22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2004, 06:27 AM   #2  

THURSDAY: Today is Time for us Thursday and this week is DIFFERENT! I want your time to be spent here complaining, begging for help, griping whatever. What better thing can we do for ourselves than to rid ourselves of guilt and stress. EVERYONE NEEDS TO PARTICIPATE IN THIS ONE SO WE CAN ALL FEEL BETTER!!!!!!!

Julie: Honey, that is what we are HERE FOR!!!!! You do not have to come here and pretend. Bad crap is going to happen to all of us.

OK, I am going to take my own advice. I know I haven't been posting much either and I have similar reasons to Julie. I have had a lot of medical/hormonal issues so I am not sleeping and haven't for days and days. I have NEVER been depressed for more than a few hours and I am totally down in the dumps and worst of all I am above 330 lbs. My eating is out of control again and though I am throwing stuff out that was in the house (or like on Monday sat and ATE everything instead of throwing it out,) I hope I can get myself back on track and keep it up during the holidays. I desperately need this as I am not going to balloon back up to 400 no matter what. I am getting in water and exercise thank goodness.

I want to hear from everyone today and honesty, brutal honesty about what is going on with you. IF YOU ARE DOING WELL, for heaven's sake, say so don't stop posting. We need to hear that too!

Faye
Old 11-11-2004, 09:12 AM   #3  

Thanks for the love, ladies! I needed it. This is a great Thursday catharsis, Faye....just to "evaluate" out loud. I hope everyone takes advantage of it.

As for me, I wasn't avoiding posting because I didn't want to bring anyone down or because I didn't know I'd get support. I was just plain in denial. I would type the same basic things I've been typing for over a year now and in my little brain, everything was fine. But my body was telling me different.

Last night I think I figured out a big piece of the puzzle. Last year when I was losing steadily, I took a vow to put myself first. To take care of my needs at all costs, so that I had the energy and strength to take care of everything else. I dropped a TON of volunteer and low paying work that I had piled up....just dropped it, apologized and moved on. And I paid attention to what *I* needed to eat, not what the kids *wanted* to eat. And I pampered myself, and I exercised and I lost weight. AND I was happier than I had been in a long time.

SOmewhere along the line, I stopped putting myself first. I always go overboard working on my dance school's May show (where starting in JANUARY I am the director, chief choreographer, costume designer and seamstress for over 40 dancers!! PLUS dancing in 4 numbers myself) I think that was probably when I just slid into my old habits of ignoring myself and putting everyone else first. I KNOW it's the same time that I stopped losing weight. This past weekend was another marathon session where I work my *** off for my dancers. It's absolutely worth every minute and I enjoy it. BUt it comes at a time when my strength and immunity are at an all time low because of months of NOT TAKING CARE OF MYSELF!

Yup, now that I write it all out....that's exactly what's wrong with me right now. I've gone back to putting myself last.

I am proud to say that I had a 4 point day yesterday as all this dawned on me. I actually looked at our eating habits to find (and weed out) our 3 highest calorie staples. Meat, Pasta/bread and cheese are the top 3. I resolved to have at least 3 vegetarian nights a week and planned a menu to reflect that. THe family, especially dh, will just have to get used to it. Meat problem solved.

Then, I actually looked at the calories in pasta....HOLY CRAP!!!!! I had NO IDEA........one little bitty box has EIGHT servings and EACH serving is 200 calories!!! That's WITHOUT the sauce you put on it!!!! I eat at LEAST 3 or 4 servings worth in one helping, easily, and then often go back for more. So NO MORE PASTA for me!! I saw a recipe on here that suggested roasting cauliflower and/or broccoli and dipping it in marinara sauce. So I tried it last night, only with pesto sauce and feta cheese. YUMMMY.......Honestly, I decided that when I make spaghetti, it's really for the kids and usually only when I don't feel like cooking (cuz it's really easy, and if I am supremely lazy the kids can cook it themselves). It's not the pasta I like, it's the sauce! Any hard substance will do for a sauce delivery device...even cauliflower. Now, I know some of you are going EEWWWW....but I don't cook it until it's mushy, just so it's tender and crunchy. And I really don't taste the vegetable at all, it's just texture with my yummy sauce. Pasta problem solved. And I hardly ever eat bread unless it's whole grain or rye, which is fine a few times a week.

Cheese. I can live without cheese. Except Feta. LOVE that stuff. But I only need a tiny bit for flavor. THe main thing I eat cheese on is homemade bean or chicken quesadillas...and I've tried them without cheese. They taste the same. So, Cheese problem solved.

I figured out that as far as the rest of my life goes.....exercise is just going to have to happen. EVERYDAY. the more the better. I can cut calories until I'm eating grass, and my body will adjust to the calorie level I'm at. I'd WAAAYYY rather adjust to a higher calorie threshold and just rev up my metabolism with lots of exercise. I've been a total sloth the past few months! I have a $400 home gym just sitting in my garage collecting dust. TIme to get my butt out there.

Okay, I've rambled on long enough. I feel much better....thanks so much for being here everyone. I know I can get back on track, holidays or no holidays. And SO CAN ALL OF YOU!! Faye, I know you can pull yourself up out of this (just don't give yourself a wedgie! ) We all can. It's 7 weeks until the New Year....Let's help each other reach our goals during these last dark days of the year. I still want to be in the 190's....that's 10 pounds in 7 weeks....I can do that!

I love you all

Julie
Mirabelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2004, 09:33 AM   #4  
I Can and I Will

GOOD MORNING BEAUTIFULS.... thank you faye.. u r so right... everyone needs a day to purge their feelings... so here i go...
since hubby has been gone i have been doing very well, with my eating, my routine of getting the kids ready for bed and school... we all have chores to do... theres a stability that hasnt been there before... sounds bad eh??
My biggest problem is and always has been exercise. the last few weeks is because of the pain i have been dealing with... but i used it more as an excuse... actually when i do my yoga i feel better...the pain subsides... so i need to get my but in gear and work on it... i bought that iron horse thing and havent used it in a year
what a waste...i need to move it in the house... so its there staring at me... and i bought that exercise ball... i love the workout... but have i done it lately?? NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO... i no longer snack at night... and the beer is gone.... i dont want it... but then again i dont have anyone else having one... or having snacks at night... and i dont miss it at all....
So when i finish here i am doing my yoga.. and then my exercise ball work out. I know i feel better after i exercise... so i just need to start doing it... everyday of the week...
On a different note... i love my new "do"... its short and sassy and i absolutely love it... i am coloring it a lighter blonde this morning after my workout... i will try to post a pic later...
Everyone... take care of u today... i love you all
Sandy
Sandybrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2004, 12:20 PM   #5  

POINTS POINTS POINTS:

Julie
Carri (didn't get your pts yesterday posted, sorry)
Faye

I am doing better physically this am I think. I cleaned the downstairs and rearranged a bunch of stuff, had a banana for breakfast and have had 3 servings of water so far. Raining here so no outdoors but am going to weight lift when I finish here and toning stuff. I am a little happier today too, not so down in the mouth. My poor husband is beside himself with worrying about me. He knows there is nothing he can do and neither can I for the most part, just hang in there, but he still worries so much about me. Our 32nd wedding anniversary is next Thur (18th) and I can't believe we have been married that long. The longer we are married, it seems, the better our relationship is all the way around. We have never gotten tired of each other or took each other for granted. If we have, the other partner understands and pretty much waits it out. I love having him as my best friend and we have great times together. I just thank God everyday having him in my life.

Julie: Glad things are coming back around for you. When you have stretched yourself so thin like that, the first thing you give up on is you! Give yourself some breathing room and you will be back on track pronto!

SandyB: I think most people have the most trouble with regular exercise. I can't stress enough that if you get it into a routine the same part of the day everyday, it makes it easier to stay with it. I can't believe that I have pretty much stayed with it constantly. I have harder time with food. Can't wait to see the new do!

Gotta go and get me some lunch. I am waiting for the UPS man to bring me my pink shoes!!!! I bought a pair of pink and black ones and they didn't fit so ordered another pair and they are supposed to be here today. One thing, is my sodium level is up and my feet have been swollen so I am hoping they are getting back to normal

Gotta run

Faye
Old 11-11-2004, 02:08 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 249/215/165

Height: 5/5

Afternoon everyone!

Seems like everyone is suffering from the same thing. Part of me thinks that it is due to the change of season. I went thru the depression thing not too long ago and it is slowly creeping back. The only thing that has help is the book that I have been reading. THere is so much in the book that make sense and I have been taking it to heart. One thing is getting to know yourself. That is something that has been so hard to do. Like all of you there are so many things to do and there is always no time for me. Looking back I was happiest when I had time to go and workout at the gym and pamper myself at least once a week. But so many things have changed since then and it is so hard to pamper yourself when you work 2 jobs. I have been searching for a soultion and hopefully am getting close to finding one. There are about 6 of us girls at work who are going to join the gym together and hopefully we will get to work out together every now and again. One of the few things that has been stressing me out is some of my friends. One I told off...and I felt so much better. Then there is the fact the my best friend and I work such opposite schedules that we haven't had time together in a long time. She is one of the few ppl that I can relate to and be myself with. The other thing that has been getting to me is the fact that there is so many ppl that I want to reach out and help and there isn't enough of me to go around. OK I have rambled on but just a little longer please induldge me. I have finally accepted that I am responsible for everything in my life and I am the only one that can change it.
As for the Christmas challenge I am shooting for 5lbs.
Thanks everyone for listening and being there!

sandy
gigglez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2004, 02:18 PM   #7  
2006 - Panda Remix

Hi Friends,

to you Faye, Julie and Sandy - thank you for opening up and sharing your feelings.

JULIE - I was wondering if you were feeling down as I got a hint of that in your last post. I think you are absolutely right to begin putting yourself first sometimes - you have so much on, with your family, your dance classes and now your writing (aand a hundred and one other things I bet!). Finding time for yourself is something you need to discipline yourself into doing - it's so easy to let it fall by the wayside. It sounds like your dance production is ALOT of responsibility and hard work for you - are you sure it's not too much? Is anyone else doing ANYTHING??? It sounds like it's a one woman show to me!

FAYE - I am so sorry you are having such a rough time - and I am so happy that you have such a lovely, kind husband to help you through this! Not sleeping is horrible and affects all aspects of your life - if you could just get a good nights sleep then it would be easier to cope with all the other stuff. I really hope you turn a corner soon!

SANDY B - You are doing really well! You are coping so well with looking after yourself and your kids alone - you are a strong woman! Don't beat yourself up about the exercise - just do what you can when you can. And post a pic of your new hairdo - it sounds gorgeous!

As for me - I'm okay, but can't seem to get out of this yo -yo pattern of a few good days, then a bad day. I'm doing really well with the exercise as swimming is something I enjoy alot and it doesn't feel like a chore. But I am really struggling with food. I managed to cook healthy meals for 4 nights on the trot - but then got really fed up with it and just ordered a pizza. I'm hoping it's just PMS and TOM talking - I just really feel like I need looking after for a few days. Nigel is still ill and his sleep pattern is all messed up so he's never awake to cook for me, even when he is awake he just sits on the computer all day and will just eat toast so he see's no need to cook. I told him today how I was feeling (just before he fell asleep at 6pm) - he said 'sorry' but I still feel so neglected. I'm still struggling with my depression on a daily basis and i feel constantly guilty and ashamed at not being able to take control of my weight problem. Sometimes I wish I could just be one of those 'fat and proud of it' people - at least I could just enjoy my life and stop the constant trying and failing and then feeling guilty.

I suppose that's about it for now! Oh yes, I got 4 points yesterday!

Love Amanda x

Last edited by Amanda Panda; 11-11-2004 at 02:29 PM.
Amanda Panda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2004, 02:26 PM   #8  
2006 - Panda Remix

Sandy G - we posted at the same time! Didn't want to not acknowledge your post.

I think it is a great idea, you joining a gym - i hope you MAKE the time for you to go! Well done for standing up to your friend - I'm rubbish at that sort of thing, which is probably why I suffer with depression, as they say that depression is anger turned inwards.

I think the most important thing for you is finding some time for yourself - I know that is easier said than done when you have 2 jobs, but it is so important - please try!

Love Amanda x
Amanda Panda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2004, 03:40 PM   #9  
It is what it is...

HELLO EVERYONE, I HAVE BEEN WHERE THE MOST OF YOU ARE RIGHT NOW AND I DID GET OUT OF IT...ya know these last few weeks where I was stressing about my house and all of this crap, well I gained 9 POUNDS in 3 WEEKS!! I was back up to 197!! and I am just down to 194 this morning, so I have lost 3 of it in the last week but still need to lose another 6 pounds to even get back where i was three weeks earlier, yeah it sucks and it has me depressed but I got back on the wagon and I have been OP since last Thursday, so one week today...I am still struggling daily, believe me, with wanting fatty food, but I know that I cannot go back to 258 EVER, and I will fight and do what I have to do...

Julie - LIke I said I know what you are going through, great job on the 4 pointer yesterday, I know you can get it back on track !!!

I think it is great that we can come on here and just be truthful with eachother about going off program and honestly say "yeah we have gained weight back but today is another day" and lets help eachother....we CAN all do this !!!!!!

Hope you all have a great evening, OP of course, ha ha!!!
Satine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2004, 05:36 PM   #10  

You gals are all awesome! Don't have time to chat. Just wanted to say that.

Talk more in the morning.
Julie
Old 11-11-2004, 06:33 PM   #11  

Here's a cheer for all of you,
We've had bad times and good ones too.
We'll beat this thing and be our best,
We won't give up and we won't rest,
Until our health and bods are good,
We'll start to do just what we should,
And one by one our goals we'll see,
Each at the place we want to be!!!!!!

LOVE YOU ALL !

Faye
Old 11-11-2004, 06:43 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 249/215/165

Height: 5/5

Evening, or it is something like that!

Amanda, hey a slice or two of pizza wont hurt that is as long as you don't go overboard with it. I have found that we deprive ourselves in order to lose weight we end up gaining it all back and then some. I think that every now and again there is nothing wrong with a little treat so to speak. We all have to learn ourselves and what works for us in order to be healthier. Right now there are so many things that each of us has to deal with and it does make it hard but we all have to rise above it all. I personally tend to get a lonesome feeling lots of times. I think that in part it is due to a deep fear of being left alone forever. But in the end I know that no matter what I will be alright! Gotta go Corey needs to use the puter to write his personal narratives for school. Here's a start of something that is bigger and better than what we all have now!

sandy
gigglez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2004, 06:06 AM   #13  

FRIDAY: Fabulous Lbs Down Friday. Who are the losers this week???

Be back in later girls!

Faye
Old 11-12-2004, 08:22 AM   #14  
I Can and I Will

GOOD MORNING BEAUTIFULS!! I cant believe i keep forgeting to post points... duh... 4 both yesterday and the day before... i am down 3 more lbs... so i am back to my starting weight of 220... but i am on the right track and will keep loosing... YEAH!! LOL thanks for the cheer faye...
I just feel so good about getting back to 220... sounds weird but i hated being above that... i worked so hard to get there... then boom back up it went... granted only 6 lbs... but still 6 lbs...
Amanda, i totaly agree with sandy g... we have to allow ourselves a treat so to speak once in a while... its in our nature to want , so as long as you do so with good measure it will all balance out in the end. at least thats how i look at it. its getting colder and colder... frost on the ground the last 2 dyas... but its crisp and clean smelling... very refreshing...
I hope you all have a fantastic day... i will check back later lovelies...
take care of u... love to u all...
Sandy
Sandybrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2004, 08:37 AM   #15  

Good Morning Beautifuls!

Great poem Faye! It's nice to have each other to lean on when we all need to climb out of this depression pit.

I only got 3 points yesterday. I got a little exercise walking around the mall with dd, but not enough to really count. BUT I did lose a pound this week! Well, in the last 2 days I guess. So, I'm at 209, five away from where I was....but only 10 away from my Christmas goal. I have been drinking tons of water and hot tea and I feel pretty good. Loads of veggies, too.

Sandy B--Good for you to get yourself back to your low weight!

I know all the maintainers say that you have to have a trigger weight that once you get back up to it, you stop yourself and do whatever it takes to get back down. Right now, for me it was 210....not going any higher, only lower! The trigger number will keep changing as I lose, but as long as I have one...

I have company visiting from NY, so I can't do individual responses....just know that I'm thinking of you all and we're on the right track, I can feel it!

Hugs!
Julie