Old 11-11-2004, 10:31 AM   #1  
PamPSM644

Lightbulb New Pill??????

Heard on the news last night that some drug company claims to have a pill that will effect weight loss. It works on the pleasure centers in the brain. They said it'll take the Food&Drug Adm a year to approve it. I have to wonder what other "pleasures" it might effect.
PamPSM644 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2004, 02:25 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 376/319/170

Height: 5'2

if I remember correctly, this drug may also be used to help people stop smoking. I am really wary of any drug that is supposed to help weight los. I guess we will just have to see:-)
heather_dw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2004, 02:30 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 273/260.1/163

Height: 5'7"

I used to take 5HTP which helped me lose some weight, but the way it helped was it took away carb cravings, and helped ease anxiety and depression. So I had a lot more energy, and was eating all the right kinds of foods. It turned out that if it was slightly tainted, it would cause an incurable blood disease. Sounded too scarey for me, but my brother's gf continues to take it. But I try to stay away from pills that promises weight loss, just doesn't sound right.

-Aimee
SwimGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2004, 03:01 PM   #4  

Default Fda Sucks

i don't trust pills or the FDA, they'll approve anything to make a buck, I know some meds help people but they've appoved drugs with too many KNOWN risks that have been recalled just because they're head were in their pockets. Vioxx, Fen Phen (I think that's how it's spelled) Propulsid check out some more on www.adrugrecall.com
suchaprettyface125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2004, 04:36 PM   #5  
Old Cackler

the drug is rimonabant, also called Acomplia. it's a drug that blocks a cannabinoid receptor in the brain [which is a normal part of the brain chemistry that marijuana just happens to plug into].

this receptor is thought to control cravings, and there has been some success in smoking cessation and overeating. it also curbs the marijuana munchies... the company that makes it thinks it's looking at a multi-billion dollar blockbuster.

it's a nice idea. an attractive idea. and there's lots of data to support this approach. BUT, will it REALLY work outside of clinical trials?? i have absolutely no idea!!!!
jiffypop is offline   Reply With Quote