Old 09-30-2004, 09:08 AM   #1  
Bad Mamma Jamma

Height: 5'7"

Default Desperately Need a Diet Buddy #21

Hi Girls

Thought it was time for a new thread as the old one was getting mighty old and long with all our Of course, I love the and can't get enough of it.

I'm still trying to haul myself back on track. I'm counting points and all that good stuff. Doing fairly well. I'm hoping to be down a few on my official weigh in day. I'm not sure when that will be. Sunday, maybe? Then my weeks can officially start on Monday. Wait. That would make Monday morning my weigh in. That's good enough for me. I'm trying to keep a fairly involved journal for some accountability - wish me luck.

How are things with all of you?

B
NicoleNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2004, 10:52 PM   #2  
No Excuses~Better Choices

S/C/G: 14st 6lb/13st 12lb/10st 5lb

Height: 5'2"

Hi Brandy, good luck with the journal ... hope it helps

I'm very, very pleased to say that since Monday, on my new (old) diet plan, I've managed to get back down to where I was before my birthday celebrations created havoc on the scales ... so my weight loss record is now up to date once again

Have a great weekend everyone!

Nichola
Fat in Hong Kong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2004, 08:51 AM   #3  
Bad Mamma Jamma

Congratulations! Woo-woo!

Keeping a journal is helping, I think. I am too lazy to WRITE, but I type pretty fast so it's just easier. And instead of trying to keep up with a notebook, it's web based so it's always available. And since each entry has a title (and you can do several a day), it's easy to find and update old entries (to-do lists, or just finish up a thought I was having). And it's something "new" to play with. Which is always fun.

Hope the rest of the girls find us and again, congrats on your up-to-date stats!!!

B
Old 10-02-2004, 11:51 AM   #4  
Bad Mamma Jamma

Well, at least I'm back in the 240s again. Only ten to go to get back to my 10% (again). I'm feeling pretty good about it and not like it's drudgery to watch what I eat just now so hey, perhaps it won't take all that long.

Hope you guys are all having a great weekend!

B
Old 10-04-2004, 09:49 AM   #5  
Bad Mamma Jamma

Ok, so I was down to 249 and now I'm back to 252. No excuses, I was just very not careful over the weekend.

Today I am going to start exercising. I'm going to do the PBS (primary back stretch from TTapp, it's a full body stretch, the whole sequence is about 5 minutes but it pretty much hits everything and it always makes me feel READY to exercise) and the 1 mi WATP. That's only about 25 minutes, total, but I have to start somewhere!

Hope all is well with all you girls. I'm going to post one last post to the old thread so maybe you guys will get a notification and find us over here!

Happy New Week
Old 10-05-2004, 02:00 AM   #6  

Hi Brandy ... for some reason I got a notification for the old post, but not for this one ... can't understand that? Oh well, I new you were here anyway so thought I'd just check-in.

I too was not careful over the weekend, so when I weigh-in again on Friday I'll probably be back up a few pounds!! Just can't seem to manage to get into the 160's ... but then I know why that is ... I just need to try harder!

I wish I had your enthusiasm for exercise ... everyday I promise myself that I'm going walking, but when I get home from work I feel so tired that I just want to collapse on the bed!! I really need to find the motivation from somewhere to make me do it!

Nichola
Old 10-08-2004, 05:19 AM   #7  

Brandy, looks like it's just the two of us

Well, I've had an absolutely terrible week diet-wise ... just seems that after every good week I have, a bad one follows!! I haven't stopped eating ... especially chocolate ... and it's not even TOM!! Consequently, I know I've gained weight and I'm not even bothering to weigh myself this week. I'm sick and tired of not being able to stick to a plan for any longer than a week or two. You would think that having lost 4lbs last week it would give me an incentive to be good again this week ... but no!! Although it's a simple diet plan to follow, I think I have a problem being limited to so much of certain foods, such as pasta or rice, and then I end up having more than I should, and before I know it I'm totally off track ... again!! So once again I'm back to square one!

If you haven't seen it already, there's a fantastic article about weight loss over on the 'Support' thread called 'Excellent Article on Weight Loss' posted by 'funniegrrl' ... definitely worth a look. It's convinced me ... 'Calories Count'! ... No more messing around with low fat, or low carb, or higher protein diets, or whatever ... at the end of the day I really do believe that it's the amount of calories that we consume that matters ... and I feel relieved to read it. With so many different diets around, I've been totally confused about which one would be the right one for me, consequently hopping from one to another over the years ... and becoming a perpetual yo-yo dieter I know that I'm not the type of person who can be deprived of anything on a diet ... if I'm told I can only have 6oz of pasta each day, I want 10oz! ... If I'm told I can't drink alcohol, I want the bottle! ... If I'm told I can only have so much red meat each week, I will eat the cow!!

When I look back over recent years at how many times I've started new diets, only to fall off track after a week or two ... I think it's finally dawned on me that I've just been trying them in the hope that they were going to work miracle ... cut out all the fat and I'll lose weight ... cut out the carbs and I'll lose weight, etc. Basically, it's really simple ... if we eat more calories than our body needs, we'll get fat. So, by the same token ... if we consume less calories ... we'll lose weight ... not exactly rocket science is it?

So ladies, although I was complaining last week about how tedious it is having to count calories, or points, or whatever, I've now come to the conclusion that for me, calorie counting is the way to go. At least I won't feel deprived ... I will stick to healthier options most of the time, but if I want some choccie or a whole bottle of wine to myself this weekend I'll be happy in the knowledge that I know I can have it ... as long as I stick within my calories!!

This is a happier Nichola signing off for the weekend ... hope you all have a good one!
Old 10-08-2004, 09:52 AM   #8  
Bad Mamma Jamma

Hi Nichola! Sounds like you're on to something - have a great w/e, btw. And let us know how it goes. I'm with you on calorie counting. I try to make better choices but I don't do well with eliminating all things with fat or everything with sugar. I might do well for a bit, but I can't LIVE that way.

I've had a so-so week. A few good days, a few days where it was like I just wasn't paying attention. I'm farily disappointed in myself for having gained back so much and I'm eager to have it gone. Wish me luck.

B
Old 10-09-2004, 12:00 AM   #9  

Brandy, I'm sure we'll get there in the end ... one way or another!

I couldn't agree with you more about trying to eliminate foods with fat and sugar from our diet ... the majority of us simply can't live like that ... maybe for a week or two, but then we begin to crave the things that we're not supposed to have and end up feeling deprived ... so we fall off track and we're back to where we started ... maybe even with a few more extra pounds on board due to having a binge on the foods we were trying to eliminate!

No more yo-yoing for me ... I'm back to counting calories ... and I'll eat whatever I fancy ... not what some faddy diet plan tells me I'm allowed to eat ... but of course, I will stick to healthier food choices most of the time

Just thought I'd tell you about something funny that happened to me this morning ... Decided to hop on the scales to see what damage has been done over the past week (they are digital scales which I've had for a long time). Instead of the pounds registering it kept flashing something which I thought said 'fAt'!?? ... but what it was actually saying was 'bAt' ... the battery needs replacing!! ... Do you think the scales are trying to tell me something!!

Nichola
Old 10-09-2004, 10:20 AM   #10  
Bad Mamma Jamma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat in Hong Kong
No more yo-yoing for me ... I'm back to counting calories ... and I'll eat whatever I fancy ... not what some faddy diet plan tells me I'm allowed to eat ... but of course, I will stick to healthier food choices most of the time
That's my new motto! Right there!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat in Hong Kong
Just thought I'd tell you about something funny that happened to me this morning ... Decided to hop on the scales to see what damage has been done over the past week (they are digital scales which I've had for a long time). Instead of the pounds registering it kept flashing something which I thought said 'fAt'!?? ... but what it was actually saying was 'bAt' ... the battery needs replacing!! ... Do you think the scales are trying to tell me something!!
AHHHH!!!

Now THAT is funny!

I'm still doing WW which is essentially counting calories. I'm starting my week over TODAY and dragging out all my "inspirationl materials" - you know, reading about the success of others. I hope that gets me moving.
Old 10-09-2004, 11:16 PM   #11  

Brandy, glad you are amused ... Changed the battery and guess what ... I'm back up the 4lbs that I lost last week!! ... Which is the same 4lbs that I lost 4 weeks ago, then regained 3 weeks ago, then lost 2 weeks ago ... and finally regained this week!! ... Now that's what I call yo-yo dieting!!

Back to counting calories I actually feel like a huge weight has been lifted off my shoulders, not having to worry about what I can or can't eat ... just stick within my calorie allowance and enjoy whatever I fancy eating without feeling like I've 'broken' my diet because I've eaten chocolate, or because I've eaten a couple of extra ounces of pasta over what my 'diet plan' allows.

I often still think about Ali and the way she lost all of her weight ... by counting calories ... She did fantastically, and always said she never felt deprived because she could eat whatever she wanted as long as she stayed within her calories. I'd love to know what happened to her ... so strange how she just suddenly disappeared. But whenever I feel like giving up, I'm going to think of Ali and hopefully it'll be the inspiration that I need to carry on ... if she could lose all that weight successfully, then I'm sure that I can lose the 40ish pounds that I need to lose. What was it she used to say? ... "You are only a failure if you give up trying." Well, we haven't given up have we? ... WE WILL SUCCEED!

Nichola

PS - I'm not changing my weight loss record because that darn 4lbs will be gone again very soon!!

Last edited by Fat in Hong Kong; 10-09-2004 at 11:19 PM.
Old 10-11-2004, 09:56 AM   #12  
Bad Mamma Jamma

Good Morning Ladies, where ever you may be

And good morning Nichola! I'm glad you're keeping me company! I think you'll do very well counting calories. You seem like me in that we regularly have "splurges" in our lives and they are not on any diet's "approved" list! And we do have Ali as proof that calorie counting WORKS!

I actually 're-started' a few days ago but I like to start on a Monday. So TODAY I've just sort of scootched my restart over, re-set my sig, and I'm going for broke. I just have to get MOVING. I've promised myself something very nice if I can get alllll the way to Sunday without going over (I'll probably use every stink' Target, Flex, and Activity Point I can scrape together). I don't know WHAT yet, but SOMETHING. I am not above taking (and making) bribes!

Hope you guys are all ready to have a great week - I am!

B
Old 10-13-2004, 05:47 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 286/232/170

What am I like????

Stop getting e-mail notifications and forget about everything.

I've had a lot going on though, I'm juggling my degree with working in a law firm and I've just been chosen (one of only 12) to be on a high profile course at the Uni which involves 'hands on' lawyer stuff

Can't remember what my signature says, but I'll see it when I click on Submit Reply......but I'm at 233.5 at the moment. Not really on plan, but I guess it's being too busy to sit still that stops me regaining.

Went to see my doc last week and he's very happy with the weight loss and the fact that my numbers (blood sugar/cholesterol) are all going down as I lose weight...so I didn't even get told off this time!!!!

Oooooh Brandy, I got Sims 2 this weekend....it made me think of you, which is why I'm back and posting if I'm honest!

Right I need my bed..... working too much at the moment, and having late nights and early mornings....so the plan is to be in bed before eleven tonight.

Take care all

Jo
britjo67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2004, 06:44 PM   #14  
A woman of ACTION

Hi Everyone!

Jo! Congrats on your lower test numbers and your sustained loss. And Kudos for your Uni recognition...they wouldn't ask you if they didn't think you could do a great job! Bravo!

Nichola, Brandy...big hugs and bouquets for keeping this thread alive. I am so bad for forgetting to check and being away for weeks at a time. Here's to staying in touch.

I joined Curves (a women's workout chain) and have been going pretty regularly. I'm going to start working in better food choices now. I've pretty much determined that PLANNING (and I'm SURE I've said this before ) is going to make or break my success. A goal is a dream with a plan right? So I've grabbed my binder and am determined to plan well enough that I can't make excuses for my eating.

I have a wedding to go to this weekend. I plan on having a GREAT time. We've even booked a room at the hotel that it's taking place at and we'll be stumbling home. I'm going to enjoy it and then keep on keeping on.

Hope you girls are all healthy and happy. Talke to you again SOON!

Lorraine
ecchs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2004, 10:44 AM   #15  
Bad Mamma Jamma

Yay! Our girls are coming back to us!

As for me, yesterday I had a moment. I was just sick to death of trying to count and all that thinking about food was NOT helping. So as of yesterday I'm taking time off from WW, but not time off from trying to lose. I'm just going to try to eat when I'm hungry and stop when I'm full and stop using food when I'm bored. I more or less kept busy all day and ended up eating about half what I do when I'm properly on WW and I felt fine. AND I wasn't thinking about points and numbers and blah blah blah It may not be a long term solution but I was just not getting anywhere with WW. This may only last a day or two, but I just needed a break from all the food obsession.

Lorraine, how do you like Curves? We have one here that's not far but I'd have to walk through a dodgy hood to get there. I think for now I'll stick with WATP but I'm very curious about Curves. Tell me what you think. have fun at your wedding thing!!! It sounds like a blas

Jo, I haven't had time to properly play Sims 2! I got it just before we went on vacation and I just keep forgetting I have it. Guess what I'LL be doing with the rest of MY morning Congrats on your weight loss, your good doc stuff, and everything you have going on at school!

Nichola, hope you pop in soon!

I'm off to play Sims2

B