South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 11-05-2004, 10:33 AM   #1  
I can do this!

Height: 5'11"

Lightbulb How do you celebrate 100?

Alright ladies...I'm a bit down today since my weight popped up a pound or two (I ate an extra banana for the week yesterday...forgot that I shouldn't have more than one a week ), so I'm trying to become more motivated by dreaming of reaching 100 pounds down.

What do you plan to do when you've lost 100 pounds? I know not all of you have to think about that, as you have less than that to lose (good for you! ), but for those who do...what will you do to celebrate? Part of me is afraid to do anything involving people I know because I hate the thought of acknowledging that I was ever more than 100 pounds overweight (although that was probably pretty obvious! ), but a bigger part of me says it's a time to be really happy and make a big deal of it!

I was thinking of maybe inviting a group of people to Ruby Tuesday's...though it seems ironic to invite people out to eat to celebrate losing weight! I just don't think I have time to host a party with all that is going on right now. But I'd like to do something!

Ideas?
Old 11-05-2004, 11:16 AM   #2  
Almost 20 lbs gone 4ever!

Laurie -- What a wonderful thing!!! How about a vacation for you and DH? Or just a night at a B&B? Or a day at an amusement park or hiking or whatever it is you like to do? Anything would be great!

lauren
Old 11-05-2004, 12:39 PM   #3  

Height: 5'-2"

Laurie, what a wonderful idea!
What about a wine and cheese at your house to celebrate the "new you"? You wouldn't have to cook a meal, and it would be more personal (and possibly less fattening) than going to a restaurant.
Old 11-05-2004, 12:54 PM   #4  

Hi Laurie, funny you bring up that you wouldn't necessarily want people to know that you had 100 pounds to lose. I think about this all the time when I say that I've lost 73...and someone actually said to me the other day that they wouldn't have even guessed that I would have had that much to lose. My response was "I carried my weight well I guess"...what else do you say???
Another thing I've been thinking...how will I celebrate Onederland?? Again, if I were to tell people that I made it out of the terrible two's....and them knowing it will be 89 pounds at that point, um, how embarrassing!?
But then I think "suck it up - it's a huge accomplishment"...so that's my attitude today...How will I celebrate, SHOPPING of course! LOL
Old 11-05-2004, 12:54 PM   #5  
Delicate Flower

If it were me, I would want new clothes and undies.

Teri
Old 11-05-2004, 04:03 PM   #6  
I can do this!

What great suggestions, ladies! I love them!

Teri, that does sound fun! I hope to poke around in the Salvation Army shops for some items, but unfortunately, 100 pounds down puts me at 226 (oy, talk about embarassing! ), so not too many things fit me, even now! It'll be fun looking around, though. I've been meaning to have a bra fitting at Victoria's Secret, so maybe I'll do that?

Elaine, the fierce, warrior-woman, SARK-inspired part of me says, "To heck with 'em!" share your weight loss and celebrate it with vigor! But I also understand where you are coming from. So, if you just want to say, I'm at a good point in my diet and I want to celebrate with you...why not! I just hope you do celebrate...you have come so far and have a lot to rejoice over!
Old 11-05-2004, 04:36 PM   #7  
Delicate Flower

Thumbs up

My mom used to call The Salvation Army, Aunt Sally's. We got a lot of our clothes from Aunt Sally. I love to go there to get jeans.

True story...One day at school, my sister was asked by a classmate where she got her dress. She said, "My Aunt Sally gave it to me." Her friend laughed and said, "Oh, you shop there too?"

You say that 100 lbs puts you at 226, but you've lost 100 lbs! That's fantastic!!!

PS I got one of those Victoria's Secret bras and when I wear it, I pop out of the top of it! It's not a pretty sight.

Teri
Old 11-05-2004, 04:46 PM   #8  

How about an entire day at a beauty spa? You could get massaged, and made over. Then maybe take the new looking you out to meet some friends for a healthy meal. Manicure, pedicure, make up and haor---the works. Whatever you do, don't reward yourself with a "goodie" that you shouldn't have. It will only ruin the celebration. 100#'s is a huge accomplishment, no matter how much you still have to go. Congratualtions and hold your head up high!
Old 11-05-2004, 04:51 PM   #9  
I found my hipbones!

Laurie--

I've discussed the whole admitting-to-people-exactly-how-much-I-have-to-lose thing with several of my friends. Initially, I never told anyone what my goal was or how far I had to go to get there. But over time, I've actually found it very liberating to talk about it with people. It was very scary to me to admit what I weighed to anyone, but once I did, it was like they opened up to me, too. That has been very rewarding for me.

It's funny how much shame is wrapped up in being overweight, and there really is no reason to be ashamed when you're doing your level best to control it, to improve on it, to be healthy. People that I thought had no extra weight to lose speak to me in whispers about how they're starting up on SBD themselves, which just shocks me b/c who'd have thought skinny people would ever be asking me how to lose weight?!

I really like the underwear shopping idea b/c 100 pounds lost, for me, will put me around 170, and one of my secret goals has been to be able to fit into pretty/sexy underwear again. How absurd will I feel walking into a Victoria Secret, though?! heh...

Another thing I've thought about doing is to go on a hiking trip with DH b/c one reason for my trying to get healthy has been that DH loves the hiking/camping thing. He's mentioned that he wanted to take me hiking before, and until now, it wasn't even a thought worth entertaining. I was afraid of holding him back

One more idea I've been mulling around is getting our picture taken, DH and I. Besides our wedding, we haven't had a portrait of the two of us taken for over 8 years now. There is a portrait studio located in the same complex that we live in (long story--we live in part of what used to be an orphanage, and different parts of it are businesses, we have the only apartment, it's surrounded by a very pretty park-like area). The area is beautiful, and I'd like to get our portrait done there, I think, once I get to my goal. We could get some nice new outfits for the pics and everything... That's what I'm thinkin' anyway...

You're SO close to that 100 mark, Laurie! You better figure out that celebration FAST.

Monica
Old 11-05-2004, 07:31 PM   #10  
We are all Beautiful!!!

Laurie,

Wow you are inspiring! Good job. I guess it just depends on how you feel about your weight loss?!? Is it something more personal between you and your husband? Or is it something that you and your friends share. If you've lost 100 pounds, your friends must be able to tell. I like the idea of the day at the spa - you can usually get a package deal for a great price. Or at least get a massage and tell the massier (sp?) that you have experienced a good deal of weight loss and want to help that along with a vigorous massage.

I know that this sounds stupid but I would like a day to do whatever I wanted - quietly - you can tell I'm a mom. Have a long bath - shop for awhile without screaming at the kids - have a glass of wine and paint your toes - or paint first - then wino But a day of peace and quiet aaaahhhh~!
Old 11-06-2004, 06:12 AM   #11  

I have a funny Victoria Secret story. My DH went and bought me a sexy outfit there once. I probably weighed 200 at the time. Anyhoo...it was XL but did not fit. He returned it and I asked what the sales girl said. He said when he told her it was too small she looked at the XL size and gave him a very sympathetic "I'm SO sorry". He wasn't happy bout that but I would love to be able to walk in there and fit into everything. Like when Julia Roberts goes shopping in Pretty Woman.
Old 11-06-2004, 07:08 AM   #12  

Quote:
Originally Posted by anchor weight
...I'm a mom. Have a long bath - shop for awhile without screaming at the kids - have a glass of wine and paint your toes - or paint first - then wino But a day of peace and quiet aaaahhhh~!
Oh, Amy... I am SO with you.

Sandbeachgirl, what a horrible thing for that sales girl to say!
You will get in there one day soon, and wear whatever you like!
Old 11-06-2004, 05:47 PM   #13  
Bunnababy

S/C/G: 294/261/150

I love the intimate wine and cheese party with family and friends and the spa. I think both of those are terrific.

As for me, a new refrigerator, double door with freezer on the bottom! I think I will use the spa idea for 50 lbs. though. for a day.

Great job Laurie, you are such an inspiration to the rest of us. No extra bananas this week for you.
Old 11-07-2004, 09:32 AM   #14  

oooh, Bunna! What a lovely fridge! Go for it, girl!
A couple of years ago we got the stainless steel fridge (only one door, though) with the pull-out freezer drawer at the bottom, and we LOVE it!!
Old 11-08-2004, 11:37 AM   #15  
I can do this!

Bunna about the bananas! Absolutely! I fed the last one to the bunnies and only got my usual one this week. I got the extras for DH, and he didn't eat any!

ladies! Your support means so much! I did do a spa day for my 50 pounds down and it was lovely!!! My mini goal for December was 90 pounds down (obviously, I underestimated!), and I get to go to Disneyland! So I don't want to spend a ton of money, but I do feel that 100 pounds is a good thing and should be celebrated!

Love the ideas, and echo your thoughts of Vicki's (as my DH and I call it). I knew that they didn't have plus size clothes, but they did carry XL in some things in the past. I went in to one about three years ago and was browsing. A salesperson came up to me and asked if she could help me. I pointed to a nightgown and asked if they had it in an XL. She looked me up and down then said, "We don't carry those kind of sizes here." I was so embarressed and so upset. I vowed not to go in one again.

Of course, now I would love to. <sigh> I think it would be fun, but I will definitely be looking over my shoulder the whole time...feeling like I don't fit in. I need to boost my confidence and tell myself that they are lucky to have me as a customer!
Closed Thread