Old 11-04-2004, 06:20 AM   #1  
Serious Ju Ju!

S/C/G: 260/see ticker /175

Height: 5 10 ( I hate being taller than all the cute guys!!!)

Default HELP ~ Low carb plateau!!!

Hey chicks!

I've been loving my low carb results until the past month or so. I had been loosing 2 -3 pounds a week until recently. Now? I bearly managed to loose a pound in 10 days. My eating hasn't changed. I have increased exercise and water. I stay under 15 carbs a day. So what gives? Is it possible my body has adjusted to the 15 carbs and leveled out? Should I drop below 15 a day or should I increase to 20 - 25 and then drop down again? Maybe trick it back into weight loss? This is so frustrating to have a perfect week and then see no results. HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
seashell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2004, 08:01 AM   #2  

Weightloss hits plateaus-it's inevitable. Keep on course and it will end, but you could try to bump up the carbs(try to keep it good ones) and then drop them again to see if it helps!
dowsx4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2004, 09:01 AM   #3  
Future marathon runner

S/C/G: 310/185/Where my body takes me

Height: 5'8"

I agree with Julie, just keep at it, and your body will start up again. With low-carbing, research has shown that if you are at 20 or less carbs perday, lowering the carbs even more has no effect on weight loss.
Raelynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2004, 09:49 AM   #4  

I agree to bump up the carbs and then drop back down- you'll hopefully lose even more than you'll inevitably gain by eating more carbs.

My plan was 20 carbs for 2 weeks, now 40-60 carbs for as long as I want and then phase 3 is eating whatever you want but then dropping back down to phase 1 again- 20 carbs when you gain 5 lbs or so from phase 3.

I'm certainly not an expert but it's said that your metabolism increases this way- by the jump start and it'll take you longer and longer to gain weight from phase 3.

I don't know how long you've been doing low carb- but my 4th week was the lowest. I lost 5 lbs the first week, then 2 lbs, then 4.5 and last week- the 4th week LCing I only lost 1/2 a lb. Sticking with it though- Hopefully there'll be a change next week when I weigh in.

Keep it up!
KandiceS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2004, 10:40 AM   #5  
PamPSM644

I started out doing low carb and at first all was well, great in fact. I lost 20 lbs. Then nothing. 3 weeks went by still nothing. I was getting frantic. All that deprivation and nothing to show for it. The 4th week I switched to cals and it's been full steam ahead ever sence. I've now lost 40lbs.
PamPSM644 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2004, 11:10 AM   #6  

thanks- someone actually had to switch in my diet class to counting cals because she wasn't seeing anything and most of us were losing 3+ lbs a week. I forgot all about it.
Old 11-04-2004, 12:23 PM   #7  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Seashell, you might want to take a calorie count of your daily intake and see if it is reasonable. I tend to do this once in a while just to make sure I am in a healthy range of calories. Despite claims of some low carb diets, calories do count. Another thing you might want to do is try eating different things for a week and see how your body reacts.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2004, 01:37 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 273/260.1/163

Height: 5'7"

I'd think about boosting your carbs a little bit, I remember doing low carb like 3 years ago, I stuck to it for 3 months, and hit a little plateau,( the plateau was 2.5 months for me, it was painful) anyways, one day I cheated, bad, bad bad bad, BAD, and the next day I got on my scale to see how bad, and I FINALLY dropped 2 pounds. I read somewhere that every once in a while your system needs more carbs, I don't know how true that is.. experiment

-Aimee
SwimGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2004, 07:19 AM   #9  
Serious Ju Ju!

S/C/G: 260/see ticker /175

Height: 5 10 ( I hate being taller than all the cute guys!!!)

More carbs. Boy this is gonna be scary! Raelynn, I would like to read that info about less than 20 carbs being no different for your body than 20 carbs. Do you have a link for that? I have often wondered if there was a point that less carbs made no difference. I want you all to know that the guilt from eating 20 - 25 carbs a day is going to kill me. But, since I trust you all so much . . . :smile:

My diet has been pretty much the same every day. Atkins bar for breakfast, 2 cheeseburgers with mayo for lunch, carbrite candy bar for snack and then dinner is usually 2 cheeseburgers again with an atkins ice cream bar for dessert. No, not a veggie in the goup. I can't stand them. I will try adding some salad and chicken to the mix. Maybe chicken salad on lettuce for lunch? Any other suggestions would be appreciated!
seashell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2004, 09:16 AM   #10  

yuck! how do you eat the same thing every day?! There are plenty LC alternatives! yesterday for supper I had Kielbasa (0 carbs) with frozen broccoli and green peppers and onions, mix it all up together and then sprinkle some chedder cheese on it. the only thing that counts is the cheese!

tacos- the taco shell- I think I saw some for 12 carbs per 2 shells. or just don't eat the shell- you'll have to count the taco seasoning and tomato and salsa, but still not bad.

chicken parm. chicken breasts, cook them in the oven until done and then get some LC spag sauce and cheese- that's like 10 carbs.

meatloaf- 1 piece of whole wheat bread is 6 or 7 carbs I think and then onions, celery, green peppers (you don't need bread either- my ExFiance had celiac sprue where he was allergic to all oats, barley, wheat, and rye, so we used to make meatloaf without bread for him all the time!) just think if I were still with him how skinny I'd be! Oh well, skinny and not happy or getting skinny and very happy- I'll take the latter.

VARIETY!
and I know it's scary- trust me just this week I began to think about the maintaining portion of the diet, but you'll need to gain some weight back so you can jump start your body again.

Keep your chin up!
Old 11-05-2004, 09:42 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 273/260.1/163

Height: 5'7"

Make homemade taco seasoning, thats what I used to do. Then you can have a taco salad, just go heavy on the beef, and low on the lettuce, but definitely get some kinda veggie in there. I used to make spaghetti squash with homemade cheese sauce, and if you go heavy on the cheese sauce you don't notice the spaghetti squash as much. Oh! Are you taking a multivitamin? That helped me a lot when I did Atkins. Also another thing that stalls weight loss on Atkins is sugar alcohols, which can be found in Atkins bars, and anything prepared like that. Try snacking on something else, and as much as you hate veggies, the fibre in them really help with weight loss. Just find something that works for your body

-Aimee
SwimGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2004, 12:03 PM   #12  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Seashell,

I hate to say this but I think you may be eating too many processed things, atkins or not. I would try eliminating some or all of them for a couple weeks and see what happens. Veggies are very important and you can learn to like them if you try, or at least I was able to do so. Are there any veggies that you like just a little bit? Tomatoes? Celery? Bell peppers? Cabbage? Broccoli? Green Beans? Brussel sprouts? Cauliflower? Zucchini? I list those because those are veggies that I eat pretty regularly. Certain veggies like zucchini, broccoli and cauliflower are awesome with a little cheese melted on top of them. I would try adding some more leaner meats into your routine as well, cheeseburgers are very high in saturated fat. I have a problem with this myself but how about adding some fish into your diet?

I hope this helps and I wish you well.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2004, 01:40 PM   #13  
beautiful

if i was doing the low carb thing and was where you were at i'd bump it up a few carbs just for a couple days and then go back down and see what that does.
jkfla is offline   Reply With Quote