Old 11-04-2004, 10:06 PM   #1  
GmaTo8

Wink Your new first name...

Yes, I know we all love our monikers, but if you had to choose a new one, what would it be?

Mine would be Donna. For my generation, that was a pretty good name and I really like it!! I also have good memories of slow dancing to the song "Oh Donna" lol, maybe that has something to do with it.

But if for some reason you had to change yours, what would it be??
Jane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2004, 10:48 PM   #2  
I can dream, can't I?

Height: 5'5"

That is a neat question. I remember being a kid and wishing I was named Annette...we all know why. Now I like some of the newer names that are out there but can't think of one I would want to be called.
suetalks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2004, 11:09 PM   #3  
Give me strength

S/C/G: 299/261/250

Alia, or Alicia, Ive always liked those two names.
When I was pregnant with Brandon I was going to name him Asia if he was a girl...and Tanner was going to be Tarrin or Teryn or Tayrin not sure how I would of spelt it or Callie or Cayly or Cailie again not sure of how I would of spelt it.
What names would you have called your children if they had been born the other sex?
da fat n da furious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2004, 07:15 AM   #4  
GmaTo8

Good question, Angie!!
My son, had he been a girl, would've been Amy (it was 1971!).
Mary would've been Jeffrey, and Katie woulda been Mitchell.

Sue, yep, I know why you like the name Annette!
Old 11-05-2004, 10:26 AM   #5  
Give me strength

Does Sue like Annette cause of M I C K E Y Mouse Club?
Old 11-05-2004, 11:47 AM   #6  

When I was little I wanted my name to be Twinkie. I was a skinny girl, so it wasn't because I loved food. I just thought that everyone loved Twinkies... so why not be one. Now that I am older I like the name Jainy. That's my usual online name, so much so that my own mother sometimes calls me Jainy.

Katie would have been KalEl (Superman's father's name) and Oliver would have no name... We used the one girl nake we liked on Katie! Though Oliver is named after a comic book character.
grapecoffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2004, 10:51 PM   #7  
I can dream, can't I?

Height: 5'5"

Yep, M-I-C-K-E-Y-

When I had Joseph Ryan had he been a girl he would have been Jessica Rene. (I was hoping for twins.) With each of my girls I would have had a Matthew had they been boys.
suetalks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2004, 09:41 AM   #8  
RosieKate

Let's see, if James had been a girl, he would have been Jane, after my grandmother. We were tossing around Jane Elise or Alaina Rose, but neither felt right so we were fortunate he was a boy for name purposes.

Leigh Rosemary would have been Lee Relaford or Luke Relaford had she been a boy. Once again, her name just hit us as "the one", so the ultrasound really just confirmed what our hearts were already telling us Though I must say I really liked the name Ella Jane. Ella is DH's paternal grandmother and Jane is My Gma. Also is Ella Fitzgerald's name and DH and I had a very romantic date once listening to Ella perform live under the stars at the Mt. Hood Jazz Festival. I didn't get my way, but now that she's been with us for three years, I really can't see her as an Ella, she is really a Leigh.
Old 11-06-2004, 09:43 AM   #9  
RosieKate

Oops - MY name! Well, I love my name, but I kind of wish people called me Kate instead of Katy, but Katy has stuck through the years and it just seems silly to change. My full name is Rosemary Kathleen.....sounds like I should be in a convent or something, but I love it
Old 11-07-2004, 12:08 AM   #10  
Give me strength

I remember my mom telling me about her and my dad fighting over my name...she wanted Bonnie and he wanted Angela. He won to some extent....this nun came to take all my information from my mom and accidently made a swirly after the L and I ended up with an I I wish my middle name was the same as my mom's I think Angelia Marie or Maria would of sounded ooooh so much European. But alas I grew up with Angie or Ang....
There is a singer named Richard Marx who has a song named Angelia. I came across another girl named Angelia at a bridal fair I was at. We must of both put our names in the same draw cause when they called out Angelia we both stood,,,and I had been sitting behind her. We were both weirded out since I had never known anyone with the same name and spelling and neither had she.

well off to bed I go
Old 11-08-2004, 12:15 PM   #11  
One day at a time

S/C/G: 220/191/186

Okay, let's try this again. I had posted but was in one of those moods where I didn't want to share too much so deleted the post. Anyway...

I actually do have a new name. My birth name was Tina and I always hated it. It seemed so short especially with my one syllable maiden name. And for years people always asked what it was short for, imagine that. So I changed it legally to Cristina a few years ago. When I started thinking about changing it it was actually between Christina and Jenna. I figured some people would end up still calling me Tina so went with Cristina without the H-just like the way it looks without the h. I think Cristina fits me better than Tina.

Anyway, as far as the kids. If the boys had been girls one of them would have been Carrie. We had that name chosen from the very beginning if we ever had a girl, after DH#1 grandmother who raised him for the first 10 years of his life and after my great-grandmother who was named Caroline but always went by Carrie. If we had had 2 girls not sure what the other whould have been named because with each pregnancy we had the same girl name picked, that never changed even though I had always adored the name Jennifer. So when I finally had a girl I may have gone with Jennifer at the last minute but BIL & SIL beat us to the name. So...had Carrie been a boy she would have been Ashley Ryan. I know Ashley now days is primarily a girls name but it used to be a boys name. Of course I always wanted Matthew and it may have changed at the last minute. What ruined that name for me was hearing some lady call MATT at the top of her lungs in a store. Love Matthew-hate Matt. When naming the kids also I tried to come up with a name that had no nickname, not one for nns. Of course I think they just evolve over time no matter what sometimes. Jason has never gone by a nn, he actually goes by his mn sometimes which is fine. Josh I never cared for. I always called him Joshua till he came to me in grade school and wanted to be called Josh. DH#1 picked the kids first names and I chose their mns so all is good. Now with Nathaniel had he been a girl we had decided on either Amanda, Amy, Jennifer, Angelica/Angela or Megan with the mn Elizabeth or Leona after my grandma. Didn't really do much on the list for a girl because I found out I was having a boy. Before deciding on Nathaniel, we had Bryce, Bryson, Alexander, Nathan and Matthew on the list.

Angie~I love the name Marie, it is DD mn after my Aunt. I couldn't come up with a mn I liked. we orginally had my middle name tacked on to Carrie but I couldn't do that to her. It didn't fit at all. Which is a good thing as I changed that to.

Katy~love the sound of Ella Jane. But then I have always loved the name Jane. My SIL is Jane and they named their little girl Sarah Jane which I think is adorable, the niece and the name.

Jane~I too love the name Amy-it was actually on our short list when I was pregnant with Nathan. I liked Mitchell also but V didn't. I have a cousin named Mitchell, an Aunt Mary and a nephew Jeffrey. Funny their are no Katies in the family. Katherine but she goes by Kathy.

I have to say I have always been fascinated with names and their meanings.
FrouFrou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2004, 12:21 PM   #12  
GmaTo8

Cristi - thank you so much for sharing this with us. What a fascinating story!!
Old 11-08-2004, 03:24 PM   #13  

Height: 5'1"

I have never thought of ever changing my first name. I knew I just never liked the name Martha, but I really like Marti. It has been spelt everywhich way as I grew up too, Marty, Martie, Marti, Mardy......I like it simply: Marti.

My mom (phillipino) calls me Marta.....hmmm....maybe that's what she had meant for me to be called and her heavy accent got in the way?????

As for names for my DD: If she were a boy it was going to be Thomas Dean Jr. or TJ for short.... I didn't particularly like that but I went with it. And Jhanai had a few other names before we picked hers out.

Nicole Sherae
Daphne Louise
Elexis Monique

She got to be Jhanai Shalene.
Marti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2004, 03:45 PM   #14  
One day at a time

S/C/G: 220/191/186

Marti~I like Marti, Martha and Marta! My friends sister is this little bitty tiny thing named Bertha! I kind you not. She hates her name and it totally does not fit her. Of course she doesn't go by it either, goes by her Alex, her mn is Alexandra. Love Daphne also that is really pretty, but so is Jhanai and I like the way you spelled it.
FrouFrou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2004, 06:18 PM   #15  
Give me strength

Cristi, you know one of my mn is Leona right?

Angie