Old 10-31-2004, 12:03 AM   #1  

Wink Steel Magnolias -- #44

Good Evening, Flowers!
It has been a miserable day in my corner of the world . . . wet and terribly windy.

We had a murder on the deck last night! We've had a possum coming to eat the cat food before I can bring it in for the night. Usually if we rattle the door knob or knock on the window he will take off. Last night he just backed up, opened his mouth like he was hissing, and stood his ground. DH has a "possum club" that he has used before so went outside to do battle. He thought the possum was dead and threw the body out in the yard but when we got up this morning there was no body to be found. I'm wondering if the neighbors watched him washing off the deck at midnight wondering what in the world was going on. When he left to run errands he found the dead possum in the middle of the street a block away.

Amanda and Ian came to visit this afternoon. The wind lessened enough to visit the farm; Ian got up close and personal with the hogs. He wasn't quite sure what to think of them and kept a close eye on his mom just in case. He also had his first tractor ride and thought that was great fun!

I need to go put another load of laundry in the dryer and head for bed. Don't forget to change your clocks this weekend!

Have a relaxing weekend and enjoy your families!

Jean -- in Iowa!

Last edited by Jean; 10-31-2004 at 12:07 AM.
Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2004, 11:34 AM   #2  
Web Nana

HAPPY HALLOWEEN

It doesn't seem possible that tomorrow is November 1st. I guess we had the Summer that wasn't. It is very warm, supposed to get to 70 this afternoon, but very cloudy and humid. At least the Ghosts and Goblins will have a warm Trick or Treat time. DH & I just finished putting up the Halloween ghost we do every year. It is a poll attached to the cross piece of the outdoor lantern which we, then, cover with an old sheet. A plastic Jack-o-Lantern goes over the light and it looks good at night with the light on and the sheet blowing in the breeze. I also have a little ghost head that moans when you clap your hands near it. I put this right by the door so the little voices or I can make it moan and the little ones love it.

Yesterday we watched the Red Sox parade. It went off very well considering it was planned and then the plan was expanded all within a day. With so many people coming into town, at last estimate 2.5 million, they decided to do a "rolling parade" with no stop at city hall for speaches and then to make it so more people could see they lengthened it and since they were using "amphibious ducks" for the vehicles they went into the Charles River and people were lined up along the banks 10 - 15 deep. The ducks went down one side and back the other. There were a couple of idiots that actually went for a 'swim' but all in all it was a very great and sane celebration.

JEAN: I'll bet Ian will remember that tractor ride for a long time. As he gets older he will want to take over Grandpa's job!!!! As for that possum, we have had them go through the yard in the past but when we had the Golden Retriever he usually chased them out and one time actually caught one and killed it. Ugh!!! Haven't seen one in a long time though.

FAYE: Hope all is well with you and I'm sure T will have a great time on Halloween.

MAGGIE: If you get in to the site I also wish you well! Enjoy your great fall weather.

Gloria in MA.....of to get a meal started...we will eat early so we will be able to give out the Halloween treats later.
nanacas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2004, 02:16 PM   #3  

Talking

Good Afternoon, Flowers!

The sun is shining finally! After yesterday's wind the street, driveways, and yards are covered in leaves. . .and there is still more to fall.

DH is out farming and I am home alone. I've written a couple letters and read the papers. Next I'm going to do some ironing and sort through a huge pile of unread magazines that I will take to the hospital tomorrow after school.

We will have trick or treaters tonight. A couple of the high school boys said they were going to visit my house and asked if I would give them a treat. I told them they would have to do a trick first so it will be interesting to see if they come.

Gloria -- It's nice to see you today! We had that warm humidity on Thursday evening, I think it was. It was so strange to go outside thinking it would be cool and feel like fall and it felt more like a June evening. We had another possum visit last night. DH rattled the door and he took off so didn't get anything to eat. We are trying to remember to bring the cat food inside as soon as it is dark. We leave white Christmas lights on the deck railing all year around so we can see if anyone comes to eat. The cats come right up to the door and peek in!

Not much else is going on. I'm not looking forward to it being dark early tonight. For some reason it seems like it should be 4:00 in the afternoon. I wish they would pick one time or the other and leave it that way year around!

I hope you all have a nice day! I'll try to be back later!

Jean -- in Iowa!
Old 10-31-2004, 03:35 PM   #4  

Afternoon ladies!

Jean: Sounds like you need "Possum Out." I am not sure I could club it to death as I am sure that is why dh gets the job at your house. Do possum's carry rabies much? I know raccoon's and skunks seem to be a problem, but I am pretty much a city gal and don't know too much about "wild" animals.

We are going to dd's in just a little while. She had to work until Midnight then be into work by 8 am this morning so she could have tonight off. She spent all day with us at the City Employees' Day at the amusement park and had to be pooped to go to work at 4 yesterday. We didn't leave til near 3 but had a great time! Oh my gosh, girls, I have never laughed so hard in my life! It stopped raining before we left and the day turned out beautiful. I knew I wouldn't be able to ride a lot of the stuff because of either my knee or my size, but Jack and I rode the scrambler. We put me on the wrong side and when the thing started going, I squished the heck out of my poor husband. He kept doing these OOMMPH noises every time the "G's" caused me to slide into him and I was laughing so hard I was crying. My sil and dil and gs were behind us and laughing at it too. Later, Jack took Thomas on this thing called a paratrooper and Thomas (who you'll remember is only 4) was leaning forward just laughing and my husband had a strangle hold on the bar and terror on his face My dd talked him into two more rides that scared him to death (her husband upchucks riding a lot of the more violent rides) and I expect him to be white haired by morning, God love him! We had the best time though the food was YUCK! I bought a funnel cake ate about 3 bites and threw it out. My tummy can't take that grease anymore.

Here is my dear little one in one of his favorite things to do, bumper cars. That boy does love to drive!

Hope everyone have a nice Halloween and see you tomorrow.

Faye
gma22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2004, 09:44 PM   #5  

Just checking in before I start getting ready for Monday. I turned the outside lights off at 8 in hopes that any trick or treat stragglers wouldn't stop by. Others on the block also turned their lights out before I did so it was pretty dark on our street. The high school boys were a "no show" which didn't surprise me.

"Gma" -- My guess is that possums could be rabid since they inhabit the same territory as the raccoons and skunks. I do know that if you see them during the day light hours they are probably rabid and to stay away from them. I'm glad you had such a good time at the amusement park. What a great picture of T! Thanks for sharing it with us.

I have some clothes in the dryer that I need to get on hangers so had better get them out before they get too dry.

Have a marvelous Monday, Flowers!

Jean -- from Iowa!
Old 11-01-2004, 05:53 PM   #6  

Talking

Good Afternoon, Flowers!
It has rained all day long and is so very gloomy outside! At least we don't have to shovel it!

My day started VERY early today. For some reason I woke up during the night thinking it was time to get up so I got up, took my shower, and as I was drying off, thought to myself, "I am really tired!" Leonard was sitting on the toilet watching me with one eye closed like, "what are you doing?" Then I looked at the clock and it said 3:12 AM! So I wrapped a towel around my wet hair and went back to bed! I hadn't turned the alarm off so I don't know what woke me up. The last time I looked at the clock it was 4:02 and the alarm goes off at 5:20. It was a very short night! I have felt out of sorts all day and I don't know if it is switching back to regular time, the crappy weather, Monday, or what.

Not much is going on in my corner of the world. I took the leftover Halloween candy to school so I wouldn't be tempted. If I'd eat it there, I'd have to share with the students and I put it in their treat basket.

Have a terrific Tuesday! Hard to believe November is here!

Jean -- from Iowa!
Old 11-01-2004, 06:48 PM   #7  

Good evening Magnolias!

I have been busy today cleaning house and I got a 2 mile walk in today before the rains started.

Jean: Maybe I was sending you bad sleep vibes, sorry! I woke up 3 times last night. I am so pooped I can hardly function and there is not much I can do until my hormone levels bounce back up. This is just one of my rotten menopause symptoms that I am learning to live with. The only problem is I have to drive to Nashville on Thur and need to have rested by then!

Did you ladies have many trick or treaters? We always go to dd's house and give out the candy and she lives in a nice neighborhood and only gets about 20 kids. We came home last night to the scuzzy neighbors blocking our garage AGAIN, and I went storming up to the door and she wouldn't open it so I just screamed to move the truck. He comes out, "I'm sorry" and I don't respond, so he says, "Sorry" again and I still don't respond, just go over to the car and grab the cell phone out and Jack pulls in. As we are going into the house, I hear him complaining that he apologized and... that was all I heard so I am sure he is miffed that I didn't tell him it was ok or whatever, but darn it, it isn't ok. It is a pain in the neck, especially at night where we live, to go hunting for whomever blocks our garage. We have NICELY told her revolving group of family and friends NOT to block the garage at least 8 times but to no avail. Her bratty little whatever they are to her, threw their drink boxes and stuff onto my deck one time and I saw her the next morning leaving for work as I was coming back from my walk and told her what they had done. She did stop it, but the car stuff still bugs me. It was a huge tow truck last night and rather than walk a quarter block from the free parking lot, he double parked next to her car (which parks in front of her garage because he son has her garage full of junk cars and parts) and basically blocked the street when he moved it from in front of our garage!

When I was walking this morning, I went my regular route and one of the houses has a huge old caddie with Bush stickers all over it. Whomever lives there had Bush stuff all in the yard and I saw this man, at least 80 with Bush/CHeney buttons all over his undershirt come out to take his garbage can in. I took my earphone out and asked him if we were going to win tomorrow and he was so cute. He said, "Ya know, I used to be a liberal, but I seen the light. I don't know what is gonna happen tomorrow, but if them democrats would just listen to Zell Miller we would all be Republicans." I just tried to keep from chuckling. He was just so cute with all his buttons and everything all over him.

Everyone have a good evening and don't forget to vote tomorrow. Hope we don't have to stand in line too long as Jack has to wait until he gets home from work to go as our polls don't open until 7 am.

Faye
Old 11-01-2004, 06:54 PM   #8  
Thin Within

Arrow November the First

GOOD AFTERNOON MAGNOLIAS

It is a beautiful day in the neighborhood and our furnace gets fixed tomorrow, hopefully. It hasn't been really uncomfortable without it though so it really won't matter if he can't get it fixed tomorrow or not.

We went to town and there wasn't any snow on tip top mountain but we do know there is quite a bit in the Yosemite which is in the other direction.

BTW for those of you who remember Cindy ~ she had a lovely little girl and named her Sophie. Got lots of dark hair and is cute as a button. She was born on October 5. So now she has a boy and a girl, a wonderful husband and a couple of cats and is very happy.

FAYE your trip to the fun ride place sounded like a hoot. Don't you just love to laugh like that. Makes a person feel so good. We do a lot of laughing around here.

JEAN you are fortunate that those high school boys didn't come around to do a trick for you. That involves toilet papering your house, egging your car or at least smashing pumpkins on your front porch. The one I hate the most is when they write words on screens and when you wash them the really clean places are those words and nothing will remove them even soaping the rest of the screen. Guess the days have gone in most areas at least where the boys would over turn outhouses.

GLORIA I can imagine how beautiful the trees look in your area now. We don't have many trees here that change ~ most are of the evergreen type or oaks.

GAIL how is the knitting going? I can imagine the smiles on faces when your family recieve those gifts. I know that I love receiving gifts that people have taken the time to make them.

Maybe the thread grimlin will let me back in soon.
Maggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2004, 08:34 PM   #9  

"Gma" -- How about calling the police the next time your neighbors block your garage? Maybe if they had to pay a fine they would think twice about doing it again. If the tow truck blocked the street, I would think the police would give him a ticket for blocking an emergency route for fire, ambulance, police, etc. It's too bad people like that have to be your neighbors! I had to at your story about the man with his political buttons and signs! Some people take their politics very seriously!

Maggie -- It's good to see you tonight! I've never heard of writing words on screens! My windows are pretty high so I don't think anyone could reach them; plus they are on the inside of the windows. My idea of a trick was a card trick, sing a song, or tell me a joke. I do remember Cindy! I'm glad that she has such a nice family complete with cats!

I have towels to fold and another load of laundry to do so I had better keep moving. Have a nice "rest of the evening!" I'm going to bed early tonight!

Jean -- in Iowa!
Old 11-02-2004, 07:28 AM   #10  

Morning girls! Soggy here today!

Jean: Actually we are contemplating putting one of those signs on our garage door with towaway zone on it and talking to a local 24 hr tow place about having them come and tow and charge the owner to get it out of their tow yard. I hate to be nasty, but for cryin out loud! Thing is, in this town, you have to be very careful of retribution if you know what I mean. People shoot people for stupid things here. Our police can't get to crime scenes in a timely manner let alone show up here! We had vandals throw alcohol bottles through two of our upstairs windows two years ago and took 2 hours for the sheriff's deputy to show up. We live in the city limits and our own cops won't even show.

Maggie: Good to see you have once again wiggled in here! I agree with you, laughter is indeed the best medicine! We too laugh a lot around here, usually at something the other one did. I tend to have more than my share of "blond" genes and give my dh lots of fodder! As for a Halloween story, I was a junior in high school and lived with my grandparents. My sister, another friend and myself like DUMB idiots, decided to tp our grandparents back yard. Unfortunately, Grandpa was standing at the window watching us and as soon as we finished hit the backyard flood lights!

It is pouring out and will continue until tomorrow so no walking for me. I will walk in rain but not a downpour. Weights will have to do along with housecleaning for today I guess. Luckily, by Thur the rain will be out of the whole area and I will have good driving to Nashville, which is about 3-4 hours.

I don't think I told you we have had another thing befall us! Jack got gas on Friday morning and when we went out on Friday evening to take dd her amusement park tickets the car started bucking and running really rough and our check engine light came on. I checked the manual and it seems we probably have bad gas in it. We have to run it out and start putting in new. The manual said we need to run three full tanks of good gas through before having it checked by a mechanic if the light doesn't go out. So much for continuing to buy Walmart gas!

everyone have a good day today

Faye
Old 11-02-2004, 08:52 AM   #11  
Web Nana

Happy Election Day!

Just got back from the polls.....went early to beat the lines. We were 121 & 122 on the count. Last September we were about #33. Guess it will be a big turn out.

Had a nice Halloween nite....no problems and lots of little ones. I hang a ghost head near my front door that responds to noise and I would ask the little ones "Who can clap their hands?" When one would the ghost would moan and the kids would laugh. That was my trick. Most of the candy is gone and the rest is hidden. Will give it to the GK's this weekend. Their mothers will love me for it.

Maggie: So good to see you here again. Do you ever get snow where you are or does it stay up in the mountains? The other day when the sun was shining brightly it was a beautiful sight to look our my kitchen window and see the colors of the trees in the neighbor's yard.

Jean: Glad you didn't get any mischief done to your house. We got egged one year, many years ago, and it is so difficult to get off!

Faye: Yes, I know how maddening it can get when you can't get into your own garage. We have had people park on the street directly across from our driveway so that we can hardly manage to turn into it... or what is worse get out. Neighbor has 'class' at her house once a week in the winter and the ladies park up and down the street, both sides, not fun especially in the snow.

Gloria in MA....have some ironing to get down before we head out to return a few items at the Mall. Have a great day and don't forget to get out and VOTE!
nanacas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2004, 08:42 PM   #12  

Wink

Good Evening, Flowers!
I voted! I was #661 and went right after school! It will be interesting to see who wins but I don't plan on being glued to the TV tonight. I had 4 political "go vote" messages on the answering machine when I got home.

Another day, another dollar earned at school. I sometimes feel like a squirrel running in a wheel; I keep running in circles! Just when I think I am caught up another project lands on my desk -- that is definitely job security! Hah!

"Gma" -- I hope your car gets "well" with some good gas in it. We have never bought WM gas; we buy gas at the old fashioned station that still has full service pumps if you so choose. We do our own gas but we always figured that if we ever got stuck some place, the owner wouldn't hestitate to help us out. His son was in the same class with our son so we've sat together through alot of sporting events over the years. My dad and DH's dad both used to own a gas station/garage and so we feel alot of empathy for the local businessmen.

Gloria -- It's nice to see your post tonight! We also have neighbors who park multiple vehicles out in the street and always at the end of our driveway. I'm just glad their driveway doesn't meet ours because they have "kids" who back out without looking and drive way too fast!

I need to put my kitchen back together so better keep moving. Hope you all have a relaxing evening and a wonderful Wednesday!

Jean -- in Iowa!
Old 11-03-2004, 10:27 AM   #13  
DIET IS A 4-LETTER WORD

Its just me! Sorry, I vanished for awhile...

Need to catch up...

Jean, you threw me there in your first sentence in the first post of this thread...murder...glad it was a critter and not a human!

Faye, your grandson is sooooooo cute!

Jean and Faye, I don't sleep well these days. I go to sleep just fine but after 4 hours of sleep I'm wide awake. Most of the time, I just get up out of bed and read for awhile...or knit.

Maggie, I remember Cindy! Wow. WOW! Time has flown by! She now has TWO children! Bless her heart!!!! Give her my best wishes the next time to talk to her! It is so good to hear (or rather read) that she is doing well and is so happy. I am just knittin' up a storm!

Gloria and Jean, I haven't a clue...because I didn't notice...what my number was yesterday--but I voted! We walked right in and didn't have to stand in a line but I heard that earlier in the day there two lines going outside the building and into the parking lot.

I'll try to get back in here later...gotta do some work.

Wayne was home for Halloween night so he gave the candy out. That translates to I didn't have to touch the stuff so Halloween was an easy OP night for me. Yaaay! We gave out three bags of candy.

Yesterday (Tuesday) I didn't have to work because of Election Day. Wayne worked during the day though for a change so I waited for him to come home and then we voted together--its our little tradition. Yesterday was such a gorgeous day to have off from work--I did a little housework and then I went to a new yarn shop that just opened up. I signed up for three knitting classes--two in November and one in January. I'm looking forward to going to them--I'm totally obsessed with knitting these days.

I bought a really nice digital scale--I think I told y'all about this but Wayne just noticed it yesterday morning. He stepped on it and quickly backed away! I didn't ask him and he didn't explain that look on his face--must've not been good news. He's been doing very well foodwise--he's been maintaining his weight since summer and he says he no longer feels like he's dieting but truly have changed his way of life. I do have to say the man eats healthy and exercises (walks) regularly at work. For me, the number on the scale is slowly going down. I've found if I don't eat at night then I lose weight.

Gloria, it sounds like Boston has really been celebrating! I bet that parade was great to watch.

Jean, by the time I arrive at home after work its dark. I definitely don't like this at all!
GailR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2004, 10:27 AM   #14  
DIET IS A 4-LETTER WORD

How come my post looks out of sync? Oh well....
GailR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2004, 05:21 PM   #15  

Wink

Good Afternoon, Flowers!
The sun has been shining all day long -- what a treat! It feels fairly "warm" at 48 degrees. I should get in gear and go for a walk.

I have bell choir tonight and feel like an early bedtime is in order. I have been off my sleep schedule all week. I'm not tired when the clock says I should be in bed, then drag around from about 2:00 PM on, get my second wind around suppertime, and then start the cycle all over again.

Not much is going on in my corner of the world today. At school, the Republicans are yahooing while the Democrats are boo hooing. I'm glad that's over for another 4 years although I am impressed with the voter turn out this year.

Gail -- It's good to see you today! DH and I took turns handing out the Halloween candy. We had way too much candy so I took the leftovers to school to give out to the kids. I like to keep my scale right in the middle of the bathroom so I have to step over it to get to the shower. I did put it away when we had company some time ago and I should get it back out!

DH is out farming so I probably won't see him until much later tonight. We've had frost so they want to get the harvest finished up asap. Tomorrow is supposed to be very windy again.

Have a nice evening and a terrific Thursday. The days sure are flying by fast! I think I am #14 to post so you know what that means!

Jean -- in Iowa!