PCOS/Insulin Resistance Support Support for us with any of the following: Insulin Resistance, Syndrome X, Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome, or other endocrine disorders.

Closed Thread

Old 11-01-2004, 01:47 AM   #1  
Rattie Lover

Talking PCOS Monthly Chat Thread For November 2004

Hi Girls!!!!!!!!!!

Time to fire up a new chat thread for November. So let's post away and make each others day.

How was everyones Pumpkin Day??? I had a fun day!! I cleaned up the garage for about 5 hours. I have been trying to find my old happy meal toys and other toys I had still in bags to pass out the kids for a month but couldn't find them. I FINALLY found them today and weeded out boys and girls ones and threw them in some bins and then mixed up another bin full of all kinds of the different chocolates & toostie pops, plus had another bin of spongebob squarepants figurines, and then some miscellaneous hallweeny type of stuffed animals.

The kids that came thought they hit a jackpot!! And it was so nice to get rid of it all!! I can park the car in the garage again!

While hub managed the trick or treat station, I went to visit some of the neighbors. It's always nice to chat and keep in touch with them. Beats having a stranger for a neighbor.

My doctor called me Friday night...a personal house call!!! I wasn't here but she left a message. The ovaries MUST come out ASAP. I guess they found something in another blood test that they did and so she wants me to do it before January. Blah... So now I have to call my Gyn/surgeon tomorrow and schedule a pre-surgical appt. They should of just taken them OUT last June 2003 when I had my hysterectomy. Oh well... I'll keep you posted as to when I am going to get it done.

Well, time to go relax!! Write back girls!!! Lemme know how you are!
Old 11-01-2004, 08:51 AM   #2  
WW Moderator

Ooh, sorry about the blood tests. My sister Amy is 'can't wait' status also. She's having hers on Dec 9th, along with a tummy tuck while she's on the table. Good luck!
Old 11-01-2004, 09:24 AM   #3  
225/202/185

Hi Chickies!!

Hope everyone had a great Halloween without too much candy bingeing. Personally, I ended up giving out fistfuls of candy to our trick-or-treaters so that I wouldn't have anything left to tempt me. I think I've done well with avoiding the candy this year. I only had 1 sucker, 1 lil box of grape nerds, and 2 pieces of gum. (As opposed to last year's mound of chocolate!)

Noodles - Sorry to hear about the ovaries having to come out! Seems like so many of us are going in for surgery these days. :-\

Have a happy Monday everyone!
Cheers,
Cass
Old 11-01-2004, 03:03 PM   #4  

Hey! We don't do Halloween around our house, but DH told the girls he would get them a little candy for a treat b/c they do know that at H-ween kids get candy & he came home with 3 BIG bags of candy that I like. Okay, really there is very little candy I don't like but... After the girls each getting 2 pieces & me eating 2 I told him he had to take it to work & could bring the girls home 1 piece each in the evening. I *know* I would have been shoveling that stuff in my mouth to feed my stress about packing to move, or whatever reason I could come up with. Glad that candy day is over with, now to prepare for Thanksgiving! Oh a good note I walked on the treadmill today for 20 minutes even though I tripped & fell while vaccuming this weekend & mildly twisted my ankle, my knee & bruised my shin & hands. It wasn't too bad even with the aches & pains. I allowed myself to watch tv while walking & usually I try to multi-task & catch up on some reading I need to do. The tv was better for me. Anyhoo, now that everyone is beginning to get this picture of me as a clutzy, candy addict I'd better go do some laundry that I hear calling my name.
ETA: Noodles, *sorry* about your upcoming surgery!
Old 11-01-2004, 07:51 PM   #5  
Swimming Mouse

Well... Here it is November. I spent yesterday stomping around DC. I took the Metro in and walked the streets in search of the American Red Cross National Headquarters. I did eventually find it ... then walked all the way back to the Metro. We drove in today instead of taking the Metro. And got a parking ticket for our pains. National Headquarters had a kick-off event for Youth Leadership Month, and I took 4 students. It was lots of fun, actually. The ticket is annoying, though, since we stuffed the meter for 2 hours, and it was after 10:00 a.m. when we got to the Red Cross. Went back at 12:04, and the lady is already writing the ticket! It was still flashing, and the other adult with me was running up the street to put more money in the meter. Erk. Oh well.
I was so proud of my kids though. They comported themselves beautifully, and one of them even got enough courage to contribute to the group discussion in front of everybody. I have some nice pictures, too. I'm usually proud of my students, but when they do so well in public... and remember, my students are allegedly with me because their public schools couldn't educate them. Nobody knew that our kids were "special" until my student told what school she was from.

I'm also off to a good start for exercise this month: because of the walking yesterday and today, I skipped my weights tonight. I did, however, swim a mile. Halloween was here and gone: I wasn't home yesterday because of the need to be in DC and find out where we were going, so I put the candy I bought for the kids in my building (secure apartment building, so only residents trick or treated) outside my door. I know some kids got the tootsie rolls and starburst, because the woman at the front desk told me her son was so excited to see tootsie rolls... but ALL my candy was gone, with the bag... when I got home. Which is just fine with me: I purposefully bought Starburst and Tootsie Rolls, because I don't care for either very much, and my students love both. And they are okay to give the kids because its small doses.

Last edited by Anonymouse; 11-01-2004 at 07:54 PM.
Old 11-02-2004, 03:37 PM   #6  

Hey gals! Quick question for those who feel like answering - what do you do when you feel the urge to eat emotionally (if you are one of those people - I am)? Today I've been quite down, partly hormonal & partly some sad news about a member of an internet homeschool group I participate in. I am an emotional person, I cry easily (I'm one of those that cries at happy/sad/funny commericals, etc.) I know that I tend to use food to fill that sad feeling sometimes & I was hoping someone out there in cyber-land might have some hints on this topic.
Old 11-02-2004, 10:15 PM   #7  
WW Moderator

Hi Michelle, I used to have a terrible time with emotional eating. I was in an unhappy marriage and eating consoled me. I still fight that urge on a regular basis, but I manage to beat it about 95% of the time. Usually I drink sugar free lattes, or hot tea, or I exercise if I have it in me. If I'm worried, I just can't focus on exercise. If I'm sad or depressed then I manage it better. The good thing about the exercise is that I ALWAYS feel better when I'm done. The adrenaline always knocks out the negative mood, plus the last thing I want to do after a hard, sweaty workout is eat!
Old 11-03-2004, 01:58 AM   #8  
Rattie Lover

Hi!!

Sorry I haven't posted in a few days...I just haven't been feeling 100% and nothing exciting is really happening so I figured I'd keep my fingers to myself. It's so nice to see all of you posting though! Keep it up!!!

I spoke with my doctor directly on Monday. She said she consulted with 2 other doctors and showed them my lab work and they both agreed the ovaries NEED to come out ASAP. So...there goes my waiting until January. The good news is I've already reached my max for deductibles and out-of-pockets so it will be all paid for. Phew!! I just DREAD another hospital stay though... Can't get any sleep with them poking you all of the time, coming in and making racket, running that floor cleaner at 4 AM, UGH!! 5-7 days of that and I'll be ready to climb the walls!! Anyhow, I have an appointment next week with my GYN who did my hysterectomy and we'll make the surgery appt. then.

Jennifer, when you had yours out, how long were you in the hospital?? And how long do you figure it took for you to completely heal up??

Mamato2: When I get that urge...I try to eat healthy. I load up on fresh fruits and veggies and munch on them. When I need something sweet, I suck on tootsie pops or fireballs. Keeps my mouth sweet and it really does take away the sweet tooth craving.

Mousie: You might of ran into my in-laws! They are in Washington DC right now & have been for over a week. Doing the "travel back east' thing in their motor home. They are whining about how expensive everything is back east.

Rumple: I sneaked some candy too...It's hard when your favorites are right there!! The good part is they are all small sizes so I don't eat the same size a s a giant candy bar. Well...unless I eat like 5 of the small size; but I have pretty good self control.

Type at all of ya later...
Old 11-03-2004, 07:48 PM   #9  
Swimming Mouse

I dunno, Noodles. By the time I was done Sunday I wasn't looking for anything, and Monday I was so rushed to get the kids back...
Today we had a farewell luncheon for the department chair: she's going back to industry. I'm of two minds, because she's a pain to deal with and she's not as good of a teacher as I thought she was. But, she had some good points. She did try, I think she just got tired of the BS we put up with... that, and she put on a show for admin.
I did however get together a selection of different tea (I think she may only drink coffee, oh well!), some honey sticks, a pen, some candles, and a CD I made.
In fact, I left one CD with the track I need in my car! :grrrrr:
I did survive the luncheon: we went to Macaroni Grill, and I had salad and whole wheat pasta with shrimp, tomato sauce and broccoli. I only ate half the pasta. And got lots of comments from people at the table, as they all felt it necessary to point that out for some reason!
I talked to my gastroenterologist today, and she thinks she has found a surgeon to do the gallbladder removal. I have that appointment next Friday, and one with my endocrinologist on the 15. So, I too, will likely be spending part of December in the hospital. I'm hoping they'll do it outpatient: I don't think I'd mind the surgery, but I don't want to stay in a hospital. I've worked in them, and that's enough. i need to have the procedure done before January because our health insurance is changing. They used to pay the first 7 days at 100%, and then your deductible and 90%. Now its meet the deductible first, then 90%. I can't afford that in the beginning of the year... and if the gallbladder being gone will kill the nausea I have all the time, I'll be very happy, so I don't want to wait until later in the year. I upped my health care savings account to try and cover some of the deductible and other stuff they won't cover now.
Old 11-03-2004, 10:21 PM   #10  
WW Moderator

Mouse, good luck on the gallbladder surgery! Mine was a piece of cake. I didn't take any pain medication once I was awake and able to say NO. I went back to work a week later and I was ok. I couldn't bend over for a couple of weeks (like to reach below my knees) and it was a little difficult getting out of bed, but otherwise it was very little pain.
Old 11-04-2004, 05:01 PM   #11  
Rattie Lover

Wow, all these surgeries... I hope everyone gets over them FAST and heals perfectly.

I wont be posting this weekend. November 10th is our 11th anniversary, and so hub and I decided to leave a little early for a weekend get-away. We're going to a cute little mountain town in New Mexico. My aunt is coming to stay with my animals and my daughter. I know she is in good hands. I can't wait to go!! Hubby has been working so much that he needs this break, and I need it just to go shopping. Well, I've been working too on other things so it will be a nice break. I told him NO COMPUTERS!! So he is leaving the laptop at home. YAY!!

Well, guess that's it for now. Take care all and I'll check in when I get home.
Old 11-05-2004, 07:09 PM   #12  
Swimming Mouse

I have heard that gallbladder surgery is very easy, and in most cases doesn't require an overnight stay... but then people *LOOK* at me, and I get told how dangerous the surgery is, and how they don't want to do it, and how I might have to stay in the hospital 2 or 3 days after. :sigh: If my gastroenterologist or my endocrinologist could do it, we'd be fine. They understand. But these surgeons don't... and I've yet to meet one that I can deal with. Even the two good ones (one recommended by my friend at the gym, and one by the gastro... same office, two different doctors) didn't want to do it. In fact, they wouldn't even call me back.
Today I went grocyer shopping with my mother and grandmother. I always help at the commissary. I handle the heavy stuff like cat litter and soda. My cart looked so different from what I used to buy, and from my mother's cart. It was strange. And it took a while because the commissary has some products I like but don't typically get soI had to check new stuff for aspartame and chicken!
I have always shopped healthy, pretty much, since college... but I never bought diet soda before (couldn't drink it, usually), and bought things like canned vegetables.
And since I'm never home to cook, I bought frozen dinners. I started to buy hamburger patties, but the only fresh ones they had were 200 calories EACH. So, I said I'd stick with my Boca burgers.
I am very pleased to see the commissary carrying a lot of the new lower carb, lower sugar items. In the past, this hasn't been the case. Also, lots of turkey-based meats (bacon, bologna, sausage, etc), and egg whites. They had my favorite whole wheat bread... I talked about it this summer... its a sourdough base, but whole wheat bread or rye. Tastes great. The store hardly ever has it when I get there, but the commissary had lots of it.
So... that was my exercise for today. I hefted 12-packs of soda for my mom: all the weightlifting must be paying off, because I easily lifted 3 12-packs of soda.
Old 11-05-2004, 10:53 PM   #13  
WW Moderator

Wow, that's strange about people thinking the surgery is bad. What is it you are referring to about that the surgeons don't understand? Are they the ones that say it is dangerous?
Old 11-06-2004, 12:01 PM   #14  
working off those pounds

S/C/G: 350+/ticker/150

Height: 5'5"

Hello ladies!! It's been about a week since I posted.

We had a busy Halloween, even though we don't get many trick or treaters, my mother likes to dress up and go all out...she even bought a fog machine, which was a hit with the few people we got

I was BAD...I ate CANDY!! I didn't binge or stuff my face with tons, but I definitely ate more than a modest amount. That is ok though, I think my metformin and low(ish) carb diet is working, because I *THINK* the scale is saying i've lost some weight (we have one of those scales that move when you peak down to check, or shift your weight..or BREATH)....but it seems to be lingering around 5-10 lbs lower than it usually does....so I've probably lost somewhere between 5-7 pounds over the past couple weeks yay!! *does jig*

Noodles - I'm so sorry about the ovaries...it sounds like you aren't very worried about it...is it a routine surgery? It must be done laproscopically..(spell?)...what did they find in your blood, if you don't mind me asking?

Mouse - I'm guessing you're a teacher, of sorts?? :-D I always spoke out in class, you couldn't get me to shut up...i was one of the annoying ones who would talk when no one else did :-D And mouse, I swear...I've worked in hospitals...most operations nowadays are just day-surgery...now I don't know if that is a good thing or a bad thing.

Was anyone else depressed about the results of the election? I cried off an on all day on Wednesday ...i apologize if you're all pro-bushers, but I was just wondering what everyone else thought.
Old 11-06-2004, 02:46 PM   #15  
Swimming Mouse

Jennifer: The surgeons don't want to do the surgery because of my weight. They're afraid it'd be high risk. They don't understand the concept of endocrine disorder and so assume that my weight is from eating McDonald's and twinkies all day long. If that was the true cause of my weight gain/weight maintance, then I could have high blood pressure, diabetes, high cholestrol, heart issues, breathing issues, etc. So I can understand their point of view. What I don't understand is their utter refual to believe that I exercise daily, and that if I had breathing or heart problems, I wouldn't be able to exercise the way I do. They also see that I take spironolactone/Aldactone, and assume its for high blood pressure, even when I tell them that it isn't. In fact, the last plastic surgeon I saw insisted that there was no such thing as an endocrine disorder that could make it harder for you to lose weight or cause you to gain weight. Because the only way to gain or lose weight is "calories in, calories out", and if you expend more calories than you eat, you'll lose weight. The 3rd surgeon I saw said that too, in a far ruder fashion, but its depressing to know that so many doctors just don't get it. I'm living proof that doesn't happen. So far today, I've burned 5000 calories according to FitDay. That was 35 minutes of swimming, 30 minutes of weight lifting, 55 minutes of water aerobics, 20 minutes of grocery shopping and 20 minutes of taking out trash and/or putting groceries away and changing the cat box. I still have 1.5 hours of swimming lessons tonight to do, and I'm going to try and get there early so I can swim another half mile.
I've only eaten 1400 calories. I did treat myself today to some Burger King, but its been more than a month since I've had anything like that. I usually treat myself to something different on Saturdays because I know I do a lot of exercise between my own work-out and swimming lessons. The problem with that is I probably won't want anything else later tonight.
The equation is 3700 calories (or is it 3500?) equals 1 pound. I burn at LEAST 4000 calories daily because I swim 45 minutes to an hour 6 days a week, and lift weights 2-3 days a week...sometimes more if I can get to the gym at a reaosnable hour. FitDay also figures my resting metabolism... I've set it for "sedentary/light', so at that it says I burn like 3000 just breathing and doing natural things like my job or walking.
But I don't lose much weight, certainly not quickly. I still get comments from people that I look like I've lost weight; I told you all about the comments when we went out to lunch last week. I'm not sure what more I can do, although my endocrinologist maintains that taking the glucophage would help.
Melis: I work for a major research hospital that runs a children's neurological rehab hospital where I am locally. The children's hospital runs several school programs, and I work at their high school. I refuse to be treated there, although I have seen doctors there and was required to report there when I a student broke my hand my first year teaching at the school I'm at now, and again last Spring when I fell in some mud during a student activity and sprained my bad ankle.
As for the election, well... I hate to say this but I'm basically a two or three issue voter. Education, defense (because both of my parents are now retired military, my mother was Navy Civil Service/Dept. of Defense, my father was in the Army), and the economy.

Last edited by Anonymouse; 11-06-2004 at 02:50 PM.
Closed Thread