Old 10-24-2004, 12:13 AM   #1  

Talking Steel Magnolias -- #43

Just peeking in to say "goodnight and I'll see you tomorrow!"

Gloria -- It's too bad that young people don't seem to know how to act any more. We have a state university that has a celebration each spring and every year there seems to be more drinking, fighting, and destruction of property. Last spring the riot squad had to be called in and a kid was killed in a drug related fight. The university hasn't decided whether to cancel it for next year or not . . . to me that is a no brainer. Maggie hasn't been able to get in here again.

Hope you all have a relaxing Sunday!

Jean -- in Iowa
Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2004, 07:07 PM   #2  

Talking

Good Evening, Flowers!
Beth and Maddy just left . . . I could sure use a nap but hate to take one now! "We" had lots of fun playing 'keep out of Grandma's cupboards'! Maddy has one cupboard she can play in but that wasn't the one she wanted to play in today. She is cutting teeth along with a runny nose and runny poop so she needed some extra TLC.

We skipped church because Miss Maddy decided to go back to bed at 5 AM and was sleeping when we should have been getting ready. DH was farming and I wasn't in the mood to go alone.

It was a beautiful fall day today. It got up to 73 degrees, sunny, and nice except for those blasted bugs that look like lady bugs. Some idiot thought they would be good for the soy bean plants; once the harvest is over, they migrate into homes, lay eggs, and hatch more! Some people say they bite and others say that the "sting" is from their poop. Either way they are a huge nuisance!

Have a nice evening. Tomorrow begins the last week in October and that's hard to believe! Where do the days go anyhow? Make the decision to smile and have a Marvelous Monday!

Jean -- from Iowa!
Old 10-25-2004, 11:19 AM   #3  
DIET IS A 4-LETTER WORD

Steel Magnolias scrolled right off the front page! Anyway...

Good morning!

Gloria, that was a shame about the young woman who was shot and died. Philadelphia is known for their crowds getting seriously out of control and I've heard at the stadium there they have a jail on the premises. You should go to a Yankee Candles shop--they have a lot of gift ideas for the holiday season.

Jean, I didn't go to the Pampered Chef Open House yesterday afternoon--I had been out and came home. I ate lunch and then "rested my eyes" and fell asleep! When I woke up it was over with! But I have so many things I've bought from this person that's hostessing the open house that I don't feel badly about not going. Whenever I take care of the grandkids I am so worn out by the time they leave! I have a lot of fun with them but usually I take a nap after they've gone!!! Robyn (9 mos. old) is cutting teeth also and talk about a drooly baby!

I had such a very good weekend. I spent it mostly by myself but it was a lot of fun--I think I visited every yarn shop and yarn department in Delaware and one over the Maryland stateline and then one over the Pennsylvania stateline! And then when I stepped on the scale this morning I weighed the same as I did on Saturday. And THAT is a good thing because usually after a weekend I'm up a pound or two.

Last edited by GailR; 10-27-2004 at 02:25 PM.
GailR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2004, 12:30 PM   #4  

Morning girls!

Hope you all had a nice weekend. We took Thomas and dd out to dinner Saturday night and that was fun. Kelly (who is a die hard Libertarian) and her dad (a conservative Republican) discussed politics all during dinner while the 2 children (Thomas and Nonny) played with his crayons and accidently colored all over the expensive wooden table! We were playing spaceships etc and having battles and the bottoms scraped crayon all over the table so I spent 5 minutes trying to scrub it all off. I blame the political two for not watching us more closely! We came home and Jack said it was the weekend to turn back clocks and lit a dope I believed him so we were an hour off all day yesterday and he was late to work this morning! That'll teach him.

Gloria: Like the rest, I find it appalling how little control young adults seem to have these days. Besides, I find it disgusting that they think getting snockered and knocking each other about is FUN! My two went through that and it would really rile me (just the getting drunk not the fighting part)

Gail: Sounds like you had fun yarning it. They have some beautiful stuff nowadays and if my hands were such I would love to make some shawls etc with some of the varigated colors they have.

Well, I need to go and lift weights and make me some lunch!

Faye
gma22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2004, 06:12 PM   #5  

Talking

Good Afternoon/Evening, Flowers!
The sun is starting to set and I know that by next week it will pretty much be dark by this time. I guess winter is really on the way!

Today was a "normal" Monday at school. I am always surprised at the number of students who seem to forget they have assignments due on Monday. Most classes have daily assignments so you'd think they would eventually remember! We get out early tomorrow so I am looking forward to getting caught up on my paperwork in peace and quiet.

Gail -- Did you find a new project to knit in your travels? I really need to sort through some of my craft/sewing stuff. My mom started a needlepoint picture and never finished it. I've never done needlepoint so wish I could find someone that would finish it for me. It is pretty big -- a Siamese mother cat with her kittens and alot of the shaded tan colors are in it.

"Gma" -- I can just picture you and T coloring on the table while the others debate politics. I'll be glad when the election is over and the ads are done with.

DH just got home so guess it is time to dream up something for supper. Have a nice evening and a terrific Tuesday tomorrow!

Jean -- from Iowa!
Old 10-26-2004, 10:07 AM   #6  
DIET IS A 4-LETTER WORD

Good morning Magnolias!

I echo Jean, that that sounds like Amanda and I--coloring at the table and accidentally coloring the table top at the restaurant Faye!

Jean, I have enough knitting projects started already--I'm trying to finish the ones I've started: a prayer shawl in a deep dark green boucle, a baby blanket in white and yellow homespun, an afghan in a heather blue basket weave pattern, and a scarf in a white mohair cable pattern. I just finished a triangular styled shawl in a beige homespun. Is this needlepoint picture that your Mom started almost finished? What you can do is frame it as is and have the needle right there. That would be interesting!

Faye, I am obsessed with knitting right now. And I read also...usually a few minutes before I go to sleep at night. I read for 15 minutes tops and I fall asleep with the book in my hands.

Last edited by GailR; 10-27-2004 at 02:25 PM.
Old 10-26-2004, 04:06 PM   #7  

Talking

Good Afternoon, Flowers!
It is cloudy and looks like it might rain at any time. There was no heat at school again today; several of us put our jackets on and someone complained loud enough that the custodian finally turned it on at noon! When it dips into the 30s during the night, I'd think it would be obvious to turn it on early in the morning! Conferences run until 8:00 tonight so I'm sure that by evening would be pretty chilly in the rooms.

I have WW later this afternoon and am anticipating a gain. I just can't seem to get it all together for some reason! The water part is fine but it's the rest of the program that gives me fits and I've no one to blame but me, myself, and I.

Gail -- You know, framing the unfinished needlepoint just might be an option! I'll have to get it out and look at it. I know my mom put in many hours on the thing before she got sick but she usually only worked on projects during the winter months. I'm mad at myself that I didn't spend more time with her, as an adult, and pay more attention when she would talk about family history stories of when she was a little girl. I used to read in bed but since I began wearing bifocals with my contacts, I just can't get everything adjusted and be comfy. I do have regular glasses but I can't see with them so I usually read in a chair, then head for bed.

I hope you all are having a good day! Do something nice for yourself before you go to bed tonight! Have a wonderful Wednesday tomorrow . . . the choice is yours!

Jean -- from Iowa!
Old 10-27-2004, 06:24 AM   #8  

Good Morning girls!

What a rotten night I had. I hate those tossing and turning nights when you can't seem to get comfortable.

Gail: Do you just knit or do you crochet too? I had the foresight to save some of the things my mil made (she passed away in 1989). She was an expert at crochet and sewing and I have some of Kelly's baby things that she made. She made this adorable little coat and hat for her that I still have. I also have and ugly bedspread that I have saved and my dd's pink bedspread. They both weigh a ton. The one she made for me was red and white and I never had red and white in my room but it was the lovely thought that counted. Though I have many of my cross-stitch pieces I never saved anything I knitted. I did it on a small scale anyway, never having taken lessons on how to do things like sweaters and such. I learned how to knit in 4-H and my teacher, who was right handed taught me backwards so I could learn it as I am left handed and could not learn right handed. So, who knows if I know everything correctly!

Jean: You are coming up on the roughest part of the year to diet also. I know I am having trouble getting into a rythm also and have for over a year. Part of it is huge hormone fluxes that cause me all kinds of trouble. At least I keep hold of it and am not gaining. I kind of yoyo the same 10 lbs back and forth.

Maggie: Hope you are doing well!

Everyone have a great day today It is going to be 85 here today!

Faye
Old 10-27-2004, 02:42 PM   #9  
DIET IS A 4-LETTER WORD

Good afternoon magnolias! I'm sipping the best decaf hot tea--cinnamon apple. Gosh, it smells great! Not a whole lot happening in my world. Last night was a great on program evening--I've been trying not to eat after 6pm and last night was a success. It helps that I knit. I'm trying to get back to having dinners that are not always a frozen entree. Tonight, on my way home from work, I'm going to stop at Boston Market and take home a dinner--baked chicken, steamed veggies, and something else that is low in points. I'll tell them to exchange the cornbread for a roll. I'm going to "take a walk" on the treadmill tonight also.

Faye, I do know how to crochet--my paternal grandmother taught me. She's passed away now but I remember watching her sit and crochet these beautiful things w/o reading a pattern. I definitely need a pattern!!! Don't you think its harder to diet as we get older and also the longer we try to lose the weight? I think so! Medication threw me for a loop last year and I'm still trying to undo the damage. Are you following a specific weight loss plan? I'm counting points but I'm not going to WW anymore. I bought this nifty digital scale and ohmygosh is it evil--it's accurate!! But its fun watching the number decrease! I'm sorry to hear you slept awful last night. Did you know that lack of sleep can cause problems in losing weight too? I heard that on the news on tv last month. Just another thing to cause us all problems!!

Jean, I sent you positive vibes yesterday afternoon for your weigh-in! I hope you were pleasantly surprised! Hang in there! We're going into the holidays and we're all going to have to come up with a war plan where our diets are concerned.

Oh golly, this hot tea smells good. Reminds me of Christmas at my grandma's house when I was growing up. The smell of oranges does reminds me of Christmas also!

Gail
Old 10-27-2004, 03:50 PM   #10  
Thin Within

Arrow Good Afternoon On Humpday

HELLO MAGNOLIAS

I GOT IN ~ it has been a few pages ago that I was last allowed in these doors and have some catching up to do. Hope I can be in long enough to read.

Not much out of the ordinary happening around here. Been raining off and on which is great. We have gotten somewhere around 10 inches so far. Our furnace went ca-put! The parts should be here the beginning of next week so we have a small electric one keeping the damp chill off this place. We have one of those little heaters which is round and distributes the heat all around or you can set it to put it up against a wall also and it only puts out the heat from the front. Also it shuts off automatically when knocked over ~ thank you Turn. It is a good one for our motor home. We always had good ones like this in our travel trailers. That way we had two different sources of heat. The gas or electricity. If we weren't plugged in somewhere we used the gas ~ you get the picture.

I have been doing some glass work and have a few orders filled and some to yet fill. When I was talking to my daughter about night lights she asked if I could make a terantula one. I hemmed and hawed that I could but I would have to make the pattern etc. Well I knew that would be an excellent present for her for Christmas as a surprise. I made one and it is so cute. Orange with black knees. She used to have a pet named Melanie which was a Texas black with orange knees. I decided to do a Columbian orange because it is much prettier with the light behind it. She will like it.

Hope everyone is well and happy ~ I will go read now and if I can be back and do some "personals" next go round.
Maggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2004, 06:22 PM   #11  

Talking

Good Afternoon/Evening, Flowers!
It's another gloomy day in my corner of the world and I'm wondering where Mr. Sun has disappeared to. I want him to come back! So far the rain has gone around us which keeps the farmers happy and in the fields. DH is also there and happy as a clam driving his own tractor around. I probably won't see him until around 9:00 or maybe later. I have bell choir tonight and we are playing pieces that we have played before; my part is pretty simple for a change. Anyone who can count to 4 could do it!

I stayed after school to get caught up on my copying. The gal who does the building copywork was gone today and I thought I could sneak in and do mine between classes . . . WRONG . . . the repairmen were there and spent most of the day going over the whole innards. I have to say it works like a charm and staples like it should once again.

"Gma" -- I don't know why but I am sooooooo hungry for a good gooey popcorn ball! I don't have any idea where I could find just one either. The Halloween candy is beginning to talk to me but so far I have not opened the bag. I will take treats to school tomorrow and bring the leftovers home for the trick or treaters. I will have to have DH hide them in the garage so I won't be tempted.

Gail -- What brand is your apple cinnamon tea? That sounds good! I had a cup of tea the other evening (early) and I was still wired when it was time to go to bed. I hate that! I should know better but sometimes the caffeine doesn't bother me at all and I don't even think about it. WW was a bust . . . I was up a pound. But there is no one to blame except me, myself, and I!

Maggie -- It's good to see you here! I hope your furnace parts arrive soon . . how "cold" is it? I suppose the rain makes it seem even more chilly. I'm waiting impatiently for my box to get here!

Not much newsy going on in my world right now and I kind of like it like that! I hope you all enjoy your evening . . . have a great Thursday. The choice is yours, you know!

Jean -- from Iowa!

Last edited by Jean; 10-27-2004 at 06:25 PM.
Old 10-28-2004, 10:23 AM   #12  

Morning ladies!

Gail: I am just on a fat and calorie counting program. I started Dr Phil's but his rapid start made me sick as a dog so I stopped it. Anyway, he cut out most carbs and I like carbs and don't have problems with them so to heck with him! I also have a good digital scale and it weighs .10 of lbs but I usually ignore that and round down !

Maggie: A tarantula? EUWWWWW! I bet it's really cute though. Spiders I can handle, rodents do me in! Of course my grandson thinks that is hilarious so he teases me all the time about it. When we went out Saturday, he started creeping up my neck saying I had a rat on it. I guess last week while his mom was at work in the evening, his dad ask him what he wanted to do and my dd said he thought about it and said, "Let's go to the pet store and buy a rat and take it to Nonny's. That boy is his mom and granddad through and through! My dh is VERY impressed with what you did for me so he wanted me to tell you he thinks they are great and you are very talented.

Jean: Popcorn makes me gag and vomit. Not that I don't like it, but I have a knack for getting kernels stuck down in the edges of my throat and I end up having to stick my fingers down my throat or they will cause horrible irritation and a sore throat like strep. I avoid it as best I can though I get a hankering sometimes. Don't you miss the good ole days, when people made cupcakes, taffy apples etc for Halloween and you could eat them without fear? I grew up in a town of less than 2000 and from the time I started school I was allowed to trick or treat with just my younger sister alone. We had an older gentleman that dragged out his cotton candy machine at Halloween and made cotton candy for all the kids. Nowadays, candy is so expensive most people go cheap with like stuff they can get a hundred to a bag. I miss Mary Janes too? Do you remember them? I remember my sister and brother didn't like them and I always got all theirs in "tradzeys." We always go to dd and sil's and we hand out candy at their house while T trick or treats. He is going to be a vampire this year I guess.

Well, better get a shower as I did 2 miles and weight lifting and smell kind of unladylike!

Faye
Old 10-28-2004, 03:53 PM   #13  

Talking

Good Afternoon, Flowers!
I am home early but not as early as I could have been. Just as I was ready to clean off my desk and call it a day, the fire alarm went off. They just installed a new system a couple of years ago and a cobweb will set it off as well as the wind if the outside doors are left open. Today it was the steam from a big coffee urn. At least it was a warm day to be standing outside although a bit damp. The "powers to be" finally said we could go back inside if we could stand the noise. . .no one did. It's a very shrill, high pitched alarm -- not a pleasant sound at all. The fire station is across the street and of course they have to come and inspect to see if there really is a fire.

"Gma" -- I don't mind the rodents as far as hamsters, mice, and gerbils but I'm not sure I could do a rat. Reptiles are what just absolutely give me the creeps; I am deathly afraid of snakes and I don't like worms much either. What are Mary Janes? I would probably recognize them but called them by a different name.

I need to pick up my house! The holiday catalog brigade has begun! I have good intentions of looking at each one then either decide to buy or pitch 'em. Somehow they end up scattered all over the house and I haven't looked at any of them.

I hope you all are having a good day in your corners of the world. Have a fantastic Friday tomorrow! I don't have to go to school so I get to sleep in a half hour longer.

Jean -- from Iowa!
Old 10-29-2004, 07:56 AM   #14  

Good morning ladies!

This is not one of my better days. It is the part of my cycle where everything is shot to heck, I want to eat all the time, don't sleep, etc etc. I am to the point where I expect it every month now, but doesn't make it easier to live with. I just try to think, I am not terminal, it is not deadly and I wll live through it!

Jean: Mary Janes are little pieces of taffy style candies, square, yellow wrapper with a red strip and mary jane on the label and have peanut butter in the center. They are just like the round orange and black wrapped candy you get at Halloween that is taffy style with peanut butter in the center (I love those too and hardly anyone gives them out. I try and raid Thomas's goodies for them )

Tomorrow is amusement park day and of course it is supposed to rain. They have it rain or shine though and the park is not only closed to the public, but closed for the year so it is just the bazillion employees and families that come. They got cheap and didn't give out food coupons this year so we have to buy our own. Course, considering we are 23 million dollars in the red in the budget, I guess I can't complain. It is foolish to have it at all in my opinion, but then they don't do ANYTHING for their employees for Thanksgiving nor Christmas, ham, turkey, nothing. They get this stupid picnic in the spring and then the amusement park in the fall. They at least have some rides I can do though none are earth shattering!

I am gearing up for the trip next week. I got desperate and am renting Jack a car so I can take ours! Not only is dd's car an absolute mess with assorted books, mail, food, toys, etc, it is a Nissan Sentra and the passenger has to sit with the seat all the way up because Thomas sits behind the passenger seat. I am also doing the driving. DD can be scary though I guess she thinks the same of me. Except for the deer, and that was his fault not mine, I have never had an accident in over 30 years of driving, she has had at least 4 and 3 of them her fault in let's see, 9 years of driving. Statistics are on my side! Actually, she is not a bad driver at all, but she does do things that drives me nuts, like not pulling into the intersection to turn left, will sit through a light if someone beeps at her just to get their goat, etc.

Well, I better go. Sleep was not good last night and I think I will rest today and see if I can get a little more sleep.

Everyone have a great weekend!

Faye
Old 10-29-2004, 11:00 PM   #15  

Talking

Good Evening, Flowers!
It is quiet here tonight! I did some laundry this morning, went to the baby shower luncheon, and then we left for Sioux City. We started the Christmas shopping but couldn't find exactly what I thought I was looking for for Maddy. Beth thought she would enjoy a table and chairs since she has discovered paper and crayons. Everything we looked at seemed to be so poorly/cheaply made. I had visions of Ian plopping in a chair and all 4 legs giving out. We didn't see any of the kids nor grandkids . . . long story regarding the sperm donor and I don't want to go there tonight. Ian was at his other grandma's house but is coming to visit tomorrow; we haven't seen him for 3 weeks so I'm excited.

"Gma" -- I know Mary Janes as Bit 'O Honey candy! They are my favorite too but we seldom get them around here except at Halloween time and then they are in a bag of mixed candy! Your daughter's car must be related to our daughter's and son's cars. I don't ever remember having all that "junk" when our kids were little. I hope you sleep good tonight! There's nothing worse than a sleepless night!

Not much is going on -- it was 78 degrees this afternoon but very windy. Strange weather we are having!

I am #14 to post so whomever visits next gets to start a new thread. Hope you all have a nice weekend! See you tomorrow!

Jean -- from Iowa!