Old 10-27-2004, 08:03 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 376/319/170

Height: 5'2

Exclamation In the news~man loses 421 pounds!!

Half-ton man recovering from obesity surgery
Patrick Deuel lost 400 pounds before procedure
[IMG]http://msnbcmedia.msn.com/j/msnbc/Components/Photos/040920/040920_halftonMan_hmed_3p.hmedium.jpg[/IMG}
Patrick Deuel prepares to stand with the help of a registered nurse and physical therapist in his room at Avera McKennan Hospital in Sioux Falls, S.D. on Aug. 19. At 1,072 pounds before he entered Avera McKennan Hospital in June, Deuel, 42, has since lost over 400 pounds.

The Associated Press
Updated: 11:17 a.m. ET Oct. 27, 2004

SIOUX FALLS, S.D. - A man who weighed about half a ton when he was admitted to a hospital was recovering Wednesday from obesity surgery.

advertisement
Patrick Deuel, 42, underwent the procedure to reduce the size of his stomach four months after being admitted to the hospital at 1,072 pounds.

He had been bedridden since last fall and was malnourished because so many of his calories came from foods high in fat and carbohydrates.

Deuel had difficulty breathing and suffered from high blood pressure and diabetes linked to obesity that his doctor said were killing him.

Related story

Half-ton man wants gastric bypass surgery

Gaining strength with weight loss
Gastric bypass surgery was thought to be his best chance for permanent weight loss, but doctors said Deuel needed to lose some weight first, to gain enough strength so he could walk on his own and prove he was healthy enough to survive the surgery.

Before going into surgery on Tuesday, Deuel had lost 421 pounds. He said his diabetes and high-blood pressure were under control and credited the results to a 1,200-calorie-a-day diet and exercise.

Caregivers and others are starting to take notice of the changes, he said.

“Every time I move they don’t look at me like, ’My God, he is going to fall down or something,”’ Deuel told Sioux Falls television station KELO in an interview before the surgery.

Last month, Deuel took his first steps with the help of nurses and two walkers for support. More recently, he has been walking up stairs and even swimming at the hospital’s pool.

Gastric bypass is the most common obesity surgery in the United States. The operation involves creating a pouch in the upper stomach and attaching it to a section of intestine, reducing the amount of food patients can eat.

Deuel, a former restaurant manager from Valentine, Neb., is just under 6 feet tall and has always fought his weight. He weighed about 90 pounds in kindergarten and more than 250 pounds in middle school.
heather_dw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2004, 09:25 PM   #2  
beautiful

yeah i read this on yahoo. the people on the message boards are so freakin mean!
jkfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2004, 10:05 PM   #3  
Live for the Moment!

Shelly - I don't get mean people... they make me mad

Yeah, I saw this story on EZboards.. It's an amazing story.. I'm still in shock? over 400 lbs?
Br00klyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2004, 10:56 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 376/319/170

Height: 5'2

I thought it would be a good story to post. I mean, if he can lose 421 pounds and can barely stand,.. then we can lose weight. Sure, he did have the surgery, but he had to lose over 400 pounds to get to that point,.. wow I cant even imagine. It encourages me:-) i catch myself thinking I cant do it, but i mean,.. if he can,.. surely I can too

As for people being mean, That just shows you how people act now. Even though there are more obese people than in the past. You would think if there were more fat people, that people would get used to seeing overweight people and know how to act,
heather_dw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2004, 12:57 AM   #5  

It's because they have these misconceptions about weight gain. They (society) thinks that overweight people gain weight because we have no self control. And while that may be the case for some people it isn't for all. Some people gain weight from physical illness such as thyroid problems or from taking medication, pregnancy, a thousand reasons but all society is shown on the television shows is the fat girl stuffing her face and everyone laughing at how funny that is.

So when they are confronted with a story such as this all they can see is that fat guy who just couldn't say no to Mcdonald's not a human being who has a problem and needs help.
dharmaspell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2004, 08:47 AM   #6  
beautiful

and if every fat person in the world just went out and got skinny they'd have nothing to do since obviously they have nothing better to do anyway than sit around and make fun of fat people in the first place. *breathe* WOO! i wanna kick some of them!

reminds me of a bumper sticker i had that a friend in high school got me. i'm sure you've all seen it... mean people suck!
jkfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2004, 11:53 AM   #7  
Jen

Height: 5'3"

I don't worry about mean people, life is way, way too short to waste your precious time and energy on them. I can't even begin to imagine sometimes how these people get through the day or what their lives must be like, empty and meaningless I suppose.

Anyway this is a great story and just goes to show that anyone can turn their life around if they really want it badly enough.
Jen is offline   Reply With Quote