Default I'm BAAACCKK!!

I missed you guys!

I've been gone several weeks due to:
1. Hurricane(s) and related clean-up
2. Out of town (anniversary) trip
3. Computer got sick
4. Mother got sick.

Yack!

I'm completely off plan and have been for several weeks. I haven't been on a scale and I'm scared to get on one. I can only say that dealing with my mother and her health issues (she weighs over 400lbs) have made me realize that I have to deal with it now or deal with later.. Either way, it can only be ignored for so long.

But I'm so tired. How do you get back on track when all you want to do is sleep?
FindingJackie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2004, 07:18 PM   #2  
Want to feel better

S/C/G: S/C/G: 240/205/150

Height: 5' 0"

Welcome back ~ you made the first step to being back on track by coming here and reaching out! You can do this!!
glynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2004, 07:48 PM   #3  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Welcome back Jackie. Start with taking some baby steps as you come back until you can get into your routine and get your energy back.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2004, 08:42 PM   #4  

I know what you mean. I've been on again and off again. I just got off the phone with my mother who spent the majority of the time telling me about yet another weight related ailment she's got. I'm starting to feel a twinge here or there that I shouldn't be.
Ways to get back on track...

Just do it. Just start. Starting is the hardest part. Once you start everything will roll back into place.

Make a list of reasons why you want to be healthier, make many, many copies and put them in the most conspicious places you can find. That way when you need a reason to exercise or bypass that yummy piece of cheesecake, it will be conveniently right there.

Take it one pound at a time. My father told me this fabulous story about Zig Ziglar (I think). At one time he was fifty pounds overweight. He would yo-yo as most people do until one day he realized that the reason why he couldn't stay on the diet was because he was thinking of the problem as a whole (OMG I've got fifty pounds to lose!!!) So he broke it up into small pieces and by small I mean he calculated down to how many ounces per day he would have to lose to reach his goal within a certain amount of time. Then he figured out what he would have to do everyday to lose that many ounces per day. So he focussed on what he needed to do today to lose X amount of ounces and he did that everyday until he lost the weight.

This is so cool that I'm going to try it. Trying to lose 2.2 oz per day (~1 lb per week) sounds so much more attainable than trying to drop 187lbs in 187 weeks (~3.6 years). It makes me want to pass out when I think about the latter.

Anyway, hope this helps and Good Luck! We are all here to help and support you
dharmaspell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2004, 10:32 PM   #5  

Hi Dharmaspell!

I was reading your post about the 187 pounds you want to lose, and I was thinking your approach of looking at ounces sounds good! Also, don't think about the 187 either. While that's the final goal, there is so much to look forward to along the way. Imagine how much better you will feel at 300, then consider how much more of a spring you'll have in your step after 50 pounds are gone. Think about how cool it will be when you get into the "2's", then think about the cuter clothes you'll be able to fit into even at 250, and so on. Every pound is an accomplishment to be celebrated; each one an example of what you are capable of when you put your mind to it. And all of the milestones you pass along the way you'll find are just as meaningful and exciting as your destination...

Best of luck! We're all rooting for you!
SkinnyBoPeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2004, 11:18 PM   #6  
On The Road to Finding Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by dharmaspells
Trying to lose 2.2 oz per day (~1 lb per week) sounds so much more attainable than trying to drop 187lbs in 187 weeks (~3.6 years). It makes me want to pass out when I think about the latter.

Anyway, hope this helps and Good Luck! We are all here to help and support you
I know this feeling well. I try not to think about it like that. I need to lose about 145. That's an entire person. It's just too much. Then I start thinking about the skin (I know I'm going to have alot of saggy ugly skin). Ye gads, it's enough to make me want to give up. And I'm already off the the program. There is so much to do: with work, school, mom being sick, the house is wreck. I'm tired all the time.

I guess I'll just trudge along and do one thing at time. First step is to get back on a healthy eating plan, that will make me feel better almost right away. Next week, I'll work on getting back into the gym.
FindingJackie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2004, 11:50 PM   #7  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Jackie, I know exactly how you feel. From talking to people who have lost weight, the saggy skin is better than being overweight and it does seem to be overwhelming. Then there is so much time spent planning proper meals, shopping for healthy foods, exercising and then I have school and work obligations. I also have to make sure I have clothes washed for work and there does seem to be very little recuperation time. We can do it though and losing the weight will be worth the effort. I just think that one day a few years ago, I weighed more than 75 lbs than I do today. That is kind of amazing and just 5 months ago I weighed 61 lbs more than I do today.

Step by step, we'll get there.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2004, 11:46 AM   #8  

It sounds like maybe you should take a breather. Go somewhere by yourself and just exist and process all that has happened. Sometimes we get going, going, going and giving, giving, giving that we forget to take time for our selves. It doesn't even have to be a grand day at the spa or anything. When I feel overwhelmed, sometimes even just going and doing something I really enjoy like getting a manicure or reading a really good book will draw me back from the cliff of insanity.

And the saggy skin thing. Ugh! I am not looking forward to dealing with that either. I read somewhere about using vitamin e to restore the skin's elasticity. I don't know if I start using it now if it will help prevent the sagging skin. I also went to a lecture, a few years ago, about the prevalance of dehydration and the importance of drinking water. The lecturer said drinking a lot of water will also help boost the skin's resiliency. *shrug* It cant hurt to try I guess. I really don't want to resort to surgery. I feel like I've abused my body enough and that would just add insult to injury.
dharmaspell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2004, 05:06 PM   #9  
2006 - Panda Remix

Welcome back Jackie - Dharmaspell has given some good advice! The best bit being 'just start' and everything else will fall into place.

I've had real trouble getting back on track due to my own illness and depression - but I've had to take the bull by the horns and start. Yesterday was my first day back on track with my eating, and today I did my first exercise in about 3 weeks - and I already feel so much better!

Hope your mum is better soon!

Love Amanda x
Amanda Panda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2004, 11:44 PM   #10  
Live for the Moment!

Jackie - Welcome Back! Sorry to hear about all the "complications" in your life lately.. and you're in my thoughts!

Now, as for the "getting back on track" - a lot of us have been in the same boat.. Howie & I are just on the last couple days of a 3 week challenge as many of us were struggling.. It really helped.. However, I'm still struggling and have about 1 really bad day for every 2-3 good days.. SO, with that being said.. I'm trying to think up a fun challenge for us all to participate in to get our butt's back in gear.. I think its much needed at this time of year... I know there's a lot of us in the same boat...
Br00klyn is offline   Reply With Quote