Closed Thread

Old 10-20-2004, 10:55 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 178/see ticker/113

Height: 5'3

Default just tried the oatmeal pancakes and....

YUCK!!! I couldn't choke down 4 bites let alone eat both of them. Has anyone else tried these and what did you think? I ate them with some sugar free syrup on them (0 pts) and nothing was helping the flavor. So that is my little review,lol... oatmeal pancakes two thumbs down.
Old 10-21-2004, 09:40 AM   #2  
Kathy from Vermont

I looked up the recipe and tried them this morning and loved them. I substituted ff/plain yogurt for the cottage cheese (which I hate) and added splenda. I used 1/2 cup oatmeal, added the splenda and blended that first to make a flour, then added 2 eggs, the yogurt (1/4 cup) and blended that. I ate one without sf syrup and one with. I think I liked without better. Maybe next time I'll use some pts. for a little butter and spread that on.

Kathy

Down 13 pounds after 4th WI.
WI tonight (Thurs.) and home scale shows about another 2 gone.
Old 10-21-2004, 11:17 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 178/see ticker/113

Height: 5'3

I'm glad they turned out well for you, maybe the yogurt helped. Mine were just nasty and I don't think I'd every try them again.
Old 10-21-2004, 12:25 PM   #4  
Cowboy Up Chick

Quote:
Originally Posted by fergusonvt
....I used 1/2 cup oatmeal, added the splenda and blended that first to make a flour,...
Doing that because flour isn't a Core food makes this not a core food. There is an article in the Healthy & Fit section at W/W HomePage why this makes it not a core food.
Old 10-22-2004, 11:01 AM   #5  

Kelly - I can't find any reference to this in the Healthy & FIt section. What specific article you are talking about?
Old 10-22-2004, 12:09 PM   #6  
Cowboy Up Chick

I am looking for it in the articles but I did post it under a thread where Spryng and I talked a lot about this type of situation. It has to do with the fact that it makes the item more calorie dense, the chemical reaction in the body and the possibility of it leading to a binge. I will find it and repost it and the location over there.
Old 10-22-2004, 12:47 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 148.8

Height: 5 ft

Hi Everyone,

I am still having a difficult time sticking to my program. Thanks for sharing the oatmeal pancakes and the banana milkshake. These both sound terrific. For some reason I have been getting notices of posts to this site. Perhaps if you don't write messages they take you off their list.

I am still have medical problems but after I get the results of my ultrasound, which was done on Wednesday, hopefully by Monday, I can determine whether or not I have to do any further testing.

Thanks for letting me share my thoughts.
Nita
Old 10-22-2004, 12:52 PM   #8  
Cowboy Up Chick

Here is the post that I found but it is in the articles at W/W site:

"Ok, It seems the question of what makes something a core food is on these boards everyday. Also the big one lately is why can't I make flour from oatmeal. There was an article in the healthy and fit section of the website that explains why certain foods are core and others are not. This is a small section of the article.
How does the Core Plan work?
Weight Watchers has tested the healthy-eating strategies that support weight loss in both of our food plans. These strategies include:

Choosing foods that are low in energy density

Selecting whole-grain foods instead of those that contain mostly refined carbohydrates and are low in fiber.
The Core Plan provides you with an approach to healthy weight loss that supports the selection of low-energy-density foods as well as fiber-rich ones by using a list of foods that have been specifically researched and tested for weight-loss benefits.

What is Energy Density?
You know a cup of ice cream has more calories than a cup of broccoli. That, in a nutshell, is energy density – the number of calories in a given volume of food. Foods with a high-volume/low-calorie ratio are low-density foods. So for example, most vegetables have a low energy density; most high-fat desserts or fried foods have a high energy density.
So a cup of oatflour has a higher energy density than a cup of whole oats.
I hope this helps. "
Old 10-22-2004, 02:45 PM   #9  

Height: 5'7"

http://www.weightwatchers.com/util/a...v=health+ideas

I think this is the article.
Old 10-22-2004, 03:34 PM   #10  

Nita - I think there is a setting in your personal profile that lets you choose to receive email notification of each post. You can turn it off.

Further clarification - When you respond to a thread (not on quick reply) you can scroll down below your desired post to find a window that lets you subscribe to the thread - and that causes teh email notices.

Last edited by susie; 10-22-2004 at 03:37 PM.
Old 10-22-2004, 03:41 PM   #11  

Kelly & Bindy - thanks for the reference. I am familiar with that article. My problem was that I was looking for something new and specific.
Old 10-22-2004, 10:04 PM   #12  
Janette

Blending oatmeal and splenda together doesn't make flour, thus the old say "my cat had kittens in the oven--didn't make them muffins." If you can eat the pancakes in a single serving and you are still showing a loss, I say go for it. Sounds a lot more "healthy" than eating a whole bowl of instant pudding. Just MHO.
Old 10-23-2004, 07:08 PM   #13  

I bought the LARGE container of FF cottage cheese and haven't found anything to use it for so I tried the oatmeal pancakes this morning. They were easy and delicious! Didn't have any SF syrup so just used FF butter spray to keep them from being dry. I've added SF syrup to my grocery list and will definitely fix them again. Y'all may think I'm weird, but I thought they were better than regular pancakes and sweet enough by themselves. Is that Spryng I hear gagging? hahaha!
Old 10-24-2004, 09:43 AM   #14  
Cowboy Up Chick

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiftieslady
Blending oatmeal and splenda together doesn't make flour, thus the old say "my cat had kittens in the oven--didn't make them muffins." If you can eat the pancakes in a single serving and you are still showing a loss, I say go for it. Sounds a lot more "healthy" than eating a whole bowl of instant pudding. Just MHO.
While I agree if it is not a binge food and you can control it then go for it however W/W (based on the article they post) states it does then make it a nonCore Food because of the calorie density of the item and chemical reaction. I know many people who are doing exactly what you say...Core foods in recipe = Core food...so if it works keep doing it.
Old 10-25-2004, 11:29 AM   #15  
Kathy from Vermont

Smile

And it is working. I had WI 5 on Thursday and am down 14.6 pounds. And believe me the Oatmeal pancakes while good would certainly never become a binge food with me.
Closed Thread