Closed Thread

Old 06-14-2001, 12:47 PM   #1  

Default Labor Day Challenge

This thread is for those of us who would like to focus on certain goals until Labor Day. These goals may be related to particular aspects of the program or any other healthy goal.

My nemesis is always consistent journalling and tracking. So this will be my primary goal. I plan to keep journals for the next 12 weeks.

During the last challenge, I averaged 4.8 exercise sessions/week. This challenge I plan to improve this ratio even if it's just a little.

My final challenge is to start thinking of myself as a lean, mean fighting machine (instead of awkward, clumsy and out of shape).
Old 06-15-2001, 11:14 PM   #2  
NO JUNK FOOD ZONE!

My Labor Day Challenge will be to continue journalling and attending the meetings. Tomorrow is week 12 for me so I bought another book of coupons. I have never finished a full 12 weeks on WW - so for that I am already proud of myself... now 12 more weeks!

I also want to add strength training to my weekly routine 3X a week... and maybe more in the future. I will begin next week and see how I do.

Thanks for starting us looking ahead Swan.... my Thanksgiving goal is to be pregnant - so if by then my eating routine is habit - it'll be 1000% easier on me.

Kim
1/2001 258
3/2001 WW 239/223/140
Old 06-16-2001, 11:09 AM   #3  

Swan - let me repeat my thanks to you that I expressed in the Summer Challenge Wrap-Up thread. I appreciate your keeping the flame lit, setting up and maintaining challenge threads.

Kim - Good luck on your goals, both Labor Day and Thanksgiving.

My goals for this challenge are, again, related to exercise. I want to run 1 mile continuously at 5mph (currently, 4.2 mph is the fastest I can maintain for 1 mile). Also, I want to find a way to exercise more frequently during the week ... I find myself becoming a "weekend warrior" in the exercise department. I need to spend time on the treadmill during the week as well.

I have essentially cast off any weight loss goals I used to harbor (secretly and otherwise) because I have not lost any significant amount of weight since October of last year. It's just too frustrating to focus on something that ain't moving downward.

Judy in MA
Old 06-16-2001, 05:01 PM   #4  
NO JUNK FOOD ZONE!

Judy - I am the weekend warrior as well . I fell I make it all up on the weekends. Just out of curiosity - do you run on your treadmill or outside? I want to get a treadmill for the winter months and I need some recommendations. I feel I am too big for some of them and I don't want to break the thing. My parents have a beautiful one... maybe I can steal it from them... but I think it was thousands of dollars ....I don't have that kind of $$$ to spend. If you have any suggestions, I'm all ears.
Thanks, Kim
Old 06-16-2001, 08:01 PM   #5  

Thumbs down Labor Day Goals

I am new here and I just started WW this past week. I know it is still early for me, but maybe this will help me stick to the program.

1. I still want to be attending my WW meetings.
2. I want to be following a regular exercise routine.
3. I want to still be motivated and losing weight.
4. I want to have lost 25 pounds.

I don't think these are too unrealistic, but I haven't succeeded in any of these yet, so maybe this is the time.

Melissa
Old 06-16-2001, 09:58 PM   #6  
NO JUNK FOOD ZONE!

Welcome Melissa.. your goals sound great!
Where are you in NJ? I'm down by Point Pleasant.... I attend WI in Ocean Twp. with the best leader in all of NJ (in my opinion )
Hope to get to know you better...
Kim
1/2001 258
3/2001 WW 239/222/140
Old 06-16-2001, 10:11 PM   #7  
Pending Email Confirmation

My goals:

Continue journaling
Up my exercise routine
Stay OP
Eat at the mid range of my points
Maintain while on Vacation early August

I joined WW online last Monday and have five days OP with journaling. Had a hard time doing that in the past. These boards have helped alot since I don't attend meetings.

Gini
Old 06-16-2001, 10:18 PM   #8  
NO JUNK FOOD ZONE!

Hi Gini - Welcome to you too!
I think if you purposely get yourself into the habit of the water and the journalling... you will have it made. I think most people fall off when they don't pu the effort into these 2 areas. Even if you eat over your points - write it down! That way you will always be concious of what is going into your mouth... if you stop journalling - your mind will suddenly stop calculating pts as you go. Great goals - I'm going on vacation in July & August too! Seeya on the boards...
Kim
1/2001 258
3/2001 WW 239/222/140
Old 06-17-2001, 08:20 AM   #9  

Kim - I saw your question about treadmill or outside exercise. Even though we've finally started to get warmer weather here, I still use my treadmill. I prefer it for 2 key reasons: using it is never impacted by the conditions outside (rain, mugginess, air quality, etc.) and I get constant, accurate feedback about speed and distance traveled (I find this kind of information very motivating - I often end up going farther than I originally intended just to hit a particular milestone).

I bought a power treadmill earlier this year. It cost about $800-$900 with shipping. I bought it online from, I believe, iconfitness.com, the brand name of their treadmills are Proform. From the research I did prior to buying, it seemed that Proform had the best quality low-priced power treadmills. The one I bought was a closeout item so I was able to get a significant price savings from the list. There's a good site which can give you a lot of info about what to look for in a treadmill. I think if you start at treadmill.com (or something like that), you can really find out lots before you buy.

If you think you'll stick with using a treadmill and you buy it instead of, say, a gym membership, it's worthwhile.

Judy in MA
Old 06-17-2001, 06:00 PM   #10  

A special welcome to the new people!

So how has the challenge been going? So far, I have kept a journal every day and eaten within point range. For me, this is a major accomplishment. I hope everyone is having similar success.

Good luck this week!

235.2/189.5/135
Old 06-18-2001, 04:57 PM   #11  
Domestic Goddess

Well, I've been mulling over a challenge idea for myself and have come to the conclusion that the most effective one I could choose would be journaling. Since I'm struggling to even get back with the program, and I know I can't handle a multi-handled challenge at this point, I think that journaling would represent the single most helpful thing I could do right now.
Old 06-18-2001, 11:09 PM   #12  

Just logged in to say that I have journalled for the last 7 days. I ate 9.5 points over what I was supposed to for the week, but I earned 35 exercise points (6 days exercise) so I'm not too upset. And 5 days, I drank 9 glasses of water. The other 2 days, I only drank 6. So week one of the challenge went well for me. I think I am probably down in weight, but I haven't decided whether to weigh myself. I have received some compliments though.

I'm hoping for a good week 2.

How is everyone doing?
Old 06-19-2001, 12:01 AM   #13  
Pending Email Confirmation

Default So far, so good!

I'm 8 days OP and have journaled online every day and have exercised most days. I don't have a problem with the water because that's almost all I drink. I did have a few suprises because I don't plan my meals in advance. Somehow I manage to squeek in under my point limits. That needs to be another goal for me. Today was my first offical weigh in and I"m down 4#.

Looking forward to a good second week. I want to fit in that airplane seat more comfortably in August!

Gini
Old 06-19-2001, 12:07 PM   #14  

I weighed in at 189 this morning. The last time I weighed, only a few days ago, I was at 189.5. Since I didn't weigh in at the beginning of the last week, I don't know how much I lost. Still, I am happy to be where I am. It's a step in the right direction.

Congratulations Polarbear on your loss!
Old 06-19-2001, 05:32 PM   #15  

Smile amended goals

I would like to slightly amend my goals for Labor Day. I am not going to change anything, I am just going to add something. My goals were more general and this is much more specific. I have noticed, while browsing the boards, that many people have problems journaling and so far I have been good. I think I would like to add that I will continue journaling everyday like I have during this first week. I see the successes people have and I too want to be successful. So there it is, just a little something to add to my goals.

Good luck to everyone else with theirs!

Melissa
Closed Thread