Old 10-19-2004, 02:45 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 376/319/170

Height: 5'2

Unhappy OT-Hair Loss?

For a while now,.. i think im losing my hair. It has gotten me really upset as I have always had thick, long hair. I am pretty sure I get enough fat in my diet (I think I read somewhere that lack of fat causes loss) Do I need to take a multivitamin or will that help? IF so, is there something I need to look for? Help! This has got me upset.
heather_dw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2004, 02:55 PM   #2  

Hair loss can be a symptom of a LOT of different things. Hormonal changes are a biggie, and that can include thyroid issues, polycystic ovary syndrome, menopause, and many more. Or, it can be a deficiency, but if you have enough protein and fat in your diet and you take a good basic multi, you're probably covered there. Naturally, medications can cause hair loss.

It's worthwhile to bring this up with your doctor, just in case it is something that warrants further investigation. HOWEVER, any time your body goes through a shock, it can drop hair. Weight loss is DEFINITELY a shock to the system, even if you are perfectly well-nourished and nothing else is wrong. I dropped a lot of hair about the time I had lost 40 pounds. It started to grow back immediately, but I lost a lot again around the 80-pound mark, and again around 120. How my body knows it's lost 40 more pounds is a mystery to me. The good news is it always grows back. Now every hair on my head is a different length, but ... it's the cost of doing business, I guess.
funniegrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2004, 02:58 PM   #3  

hmm.. thats makes me feel a little better. Maybe I have lost more weight than I though. Anything I need to look for in a multivitamin? I dont take one, but I am going to get one as soon as I can.

I sure hope this grows back, how long does it take?
Old 10-19-2004, 03:22 PM   #4  

I take the One-A-Day Weight Loss formula. (Actually, I take the Kroger version of the One-A-Day Weight Loss formula.) I take this NOT because I think it has anything magic in it to help weight loss, but because it's a good basic multi that uses 100% beta carotene as the Vitamin A. Your body converts beta carotene to get the Vitamin A it needs -- this is how we get Vitamin A from fruits & vegetables. Any unneeded beta carotene is elminated. True Vitamin A, which is what's in most inexpensive multis, is animal-derived. This wouldn't be a big deal, except that if your body doesn't use all of this Vitamin A, it can't be elminated. Excess stored Vitamin A can lead to toxicity problems. So ... I always look for multis that have 100% beta carotene instead of true Vitamin A.
funniegrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2004, 03:54 PM   #5  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

The best cheapest vitamins I have found is from Costco, they have have a multivitamin pack that has a good amount of the essential vitamins.

As for hair loss, is it in patches or is it throughout? I know hair can fall out due to too little fat. There is also a condition that I had for years that causes small patches of bald spots, of course some patches are bigger than others. It is a symptom of PCOS. I would definitely talk to your doctor.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2004, 04:21 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 274/?/175

Height: 5'8

Heather, what about medications you are taking? I know that with some medications, including b.c. pills, a side effect is hair loss. If you're on anything, maybe you should talk to a doctor about it. Just a thought.
djs06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2004, 04:36 PM   #7  

it just seems like a thinning overall,.. and i can tell that my part in the front seems bigger,.. because of less hair. I am not taking any medications either. I stopped wearing a ponytail a few months ago, thinking that was causing it, but i guess that wasnt it. I am going to look for a multivitamin in the meantime i guess, how long does it take hair to start growing back in?
Old 10-19-2004, 04:46 PM   #8  
1/2 Marathon May 15 2011

S/C/G: see ticker

Height: 5'0"

The only time I seem to lose my hair is when I am very stressed out.
How are your stress levels?

Dana
Charbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2004, 04:49 PM   #9  

I dont think i am particularly stressed. This is an odd situation, I am hoping it is just because of the weight loss and maybe a vitamin deficeincy somewhere
Old 10-19-2004, 07:11 PM   #10  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

I can tell you that weight loss shouldn't result in hair loss. I went to webmd and am posting a link of things that can cause hair loss. Things that stand out on the website indicate low protein, low iron, thyroid problems and alopecia areata which is a symptom of PCOS which affects a lot of overweight women, including myself. I originally thought alopecia only caused small patches of bald spots, but webmd says that it can also cause thinning. If you think it is a vitamin deficiency, then try that but I would still recommend seeing your doctor.

http://my.webmd.com/hw/health_guide_...navbar=aa84400
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2004, 10:30 PM   #11  

i hope it is just the deficiency, because seeing a doctor is not an option at this point. I dont have insurance, neither does hubby and we cant afford to "just go". Hubby is trying to get a promotion so he can afford health insurance but even that is "iffy" at this point..
Old 10-20-2004, 02:08 AM   #12  
beautiful

i read somewhere (it seems like i'm always saying that) that you can lose up to 500 hairs per day, naturally. i was trying to figure it out because i was having a hair loss problem after i had my son... i would be in the shower and just handfulls would come out... but i was so stressed out that i think that is what was going on. i still lose hair when i'm in the shower but not near as much. hopefully you can get it figured out. keep us posted though. do you have something like a nurse advice line you can call?
jkfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2004, 08:50 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 280/275/150

Height: 5' 4"

Hi,
Worring about ins. will make anyone stressed.
If you're worried about fat, do you use a little olive oil in your cooking?
Wal-mart carries Carapellies extra lite - not a bad price & no strong taste.
Tastes like any other oil.
I like Kroger's weightloss vit. for women too. Keeps the craving at bay.
Price is great compared to others.
Ask you beautician - she may have some ideas. You could cut it so there is less weight to it.
Good luck hon.
oldwriter is offline   Reply With Quote