Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Closed Thread

Old 10-05-2004, 11:00 AM   #1  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

Smile Tips On Buying Ground Chicken

READ READ READ !!!

Make sure the package says Ground BREAST of Chicken, this way you are getting the white, lean meat and not the icky fatty stuff they throw in the regular ground (like chopped meat).

I buy Perdue and love it !!

Here's the nutritional information on Ground Chicken vs. Ground Breast of Chicken from Perdue - the differences are staggering !!!!!!

http://www.perdue.com/athome/product/product.asp

Ground BREAST of Chicken - Perdue Brand
4 OZ - Raw
Calories: 100
Cal From Fat: 5
Total Fat: 0.5 gm
Saturated Fat: ** (traces)
Cholesterol: 65 mg
Sodium: 75 mg
Carbs: 0

Compaired to -

Regular Ground Chicken - Perdue Brand
4 OZ - Raw
Calories: 180
Cal From Fat: 100
Total Fat: 12 gm
Saturated Fat: 4
Cholesterol: 135 mg
Sodium: 75 mg
Carbs: 0

I make chicken burgers at least 1 x a week. I prefer ground chicken over ground turkey. My next project w/it is Chili !!!

To keep my calories and carbs lower with the burgers, I do NOT add breadcrumbs, I just throw in some poultry spices, and any kind of ckn spice you like, onion, sweet paprika, garlic, etc. They are VERY sticky so you might want to add a teaspoon of olive oil in the mix (normally I don't but you can). What I do is spray a plate w/pam first, plop some ckn mixture on it, spray some pam on top of the ckn blob and flatten it out into burger shapes. Also, when you grill it, if you grill it, spray the spatula first. I'm telling you, it is so worth it, YUM!!!!!!!!!!! low cal, low carb, high protein and low fat...what more can you ask for and left overs are wonderful.

HINT HINT !! When grilling, do not over cook, they can get dry. But done right OMG
Old 10-05-2004, 11:09 AM   #2  
stbakd

thanks leenie i make chili with g c glen
Old 10-06-2004, 01:26 AM   #3  
WW Moderator

Whoooooowheeeeee! (Yes, I AM in Tennessee!) That is one big difference, Leenie. Thanks for the tips!!
Old 10-07-2004, 12:41 PM   #4  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Last night I was looking for ground meat and I compared fat/calories for the leanest ground beef available, leanest ground turkey and chicken. I was quite amazed at how little fat/calories that the chicken had so I went with that.
Old 10-08-2004, 12:22 AM   #5  
WW Moderator

Have you cooked it yet? Let me know if you like it! I've been curious about it. I only tried ground turkey once, and wasn't too impressed. Maybe it was a bad cut of meat. I hardly ever see ground chicken, but I should try it.
Old 10-08-2004, 12:25 PM   #6  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Jennifer, I also had an issue with Ground Turkey but I liked the Ground Chicken. I'd definitely buy it and use it again. Ground Turkey just kind of tastes funny to me.
Old 10-08-2004, 12:59 PM   #7  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

Nelie, I agree, the turkey just has a weird taste, not bad but I'm not crazy for it.

The ground chicken is the best IMHO. Last night I made a quick burger in the frying pan because it was late and I didn't want to go out and start up the grill. I sprinkled some seasoning and mixed it well. Sprayed pam in the frying pan and then dropped balls of it cause its sticky, then sprayed the balls and flattened them out with the spatula (also spray lightly). They were so Juicy!!! even my DH who I thought would never eat a ckn burger loves it. The juice just pops out. I ate mine w/some apple bbq sauce (no bread lol).

Jennifer, try one package but have a back up just incase you don't like it. I never could find it in the stores, but thats cause they hide it in the corner of the chicken refrig section. If they have perdue grab it!
Closed Thread