Old 09-29-2004, 01:26 AM   #1  
Peg

Arrow Problem with night time eating, anyone else??

Does anyone else have a problem with eating late in the evening? or late at night? I eat dinner, and although that needs adjusting, I feel the urge to nibble late at night. I want to stop this immediately. Most of the time I don't feel hungry at all, sometimes I do, I don't know why. Maybe nerves, I don't know. Anyone having the same problem?? or ever had??

Peg
Peg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2004, 03:19 PM   #2  
anna banana

Peg, I am not in OA, so I don't post in this forum, but I have problems with night-time eating. I used to have problems with snacking during the day. I worked really hard to solve that, but it seems like because I feel that I've been "good" during the day, I deserve a "little something" before bed, and then, it turns into a "little something else" until I feel that I've "blown it" and it turns into a full binge. Although sometimes I can't talk myself out of a binge, sometimes it helps to:
1. Eat dessert--if you feel that you have room for a "little something" make it part of your meal. In my experience, I can easily finish a meal and feel satiated, but snacks always breed more snacks.
2. Drink tea before bed (non caffeinated)
3. Get ready for bed and do it right. Take your time. I take out my contacts, brush my teeth, put on moisturizer and eye cream, pluck some eyebrows, put on my nightgown. It makes me feel good to take the time to take care of myself, and usually when I'm feeling good I am more in control of my eating.
good luck!
bananna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2004, 04:04 PM   #3  

It's a hard habit to break for sure. You may want to do a crossword or seek and find puzzle to keep you occupied at night, read a book, have some hot chocolate, or post here! It does take several times for our minds and bodies to adjust to something different. Or if you really need something, just make room in your daily calories for it.. Have some hard candy, chew gum, brush your teeth like Anna mentioned. Just do it in a form of a routine everynight to get yourself accustomed to it!
mugirl2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2004, 04:25 PM   #4  

Unhappy I hear ya'

Night time eating is my BIGGEST vice! I'm on Atkin's and even though I've lost quite a bit, I go nuts with craving carbs at night. I'm trying to meet myself half way to keep it to a minimum. I'm allowed popcorn (very small bowl) so I divvy up a bag between my two kids and myself. This usually helps, but sometimes when the kids are in bed and I'm still wide awake, I want more. I don't really need more, but I want it.

I know its derailed me many times over, so I'm trying the split bag of popcorn for a bit to see if I can make it last longer so I'm not craving something to crunch as much.

Hang in there, and if you come up with any miraculous cures for this--PLEASE let me know

Nan
labchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2004, 03:29 PM   #5  
Peg

Thanks everyone for all the feed back I will definetely try much harder now, and I will use all those suggestions.

It's nice to know I'm not the only one out there with this problem, because thinking that sure can make one feel a little one the strange side/out of control side I will also think up some ideas of my own and I will let ya all know, bye for know

Peg

Last edited by Peg; 10-01-2004 at 03:33 PM.
Old 10-01-2004, 10:16 PM   #6  

I find that chewing a piece of gum afterwards helps alot, usually winterfresh or cinnamon.. Something that has a strong after taste. But I could chew gum 24/7! But I try to eat dinner kinda late so afterwards I don't have much time till I have to go to bed. But I believe it's simply a routine you have to get use to.. Very hard to change, but we can adapt to anything. I'll keep thinking.. LOL
God Bless
mugirl2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2004, 04:38 AM   #7  

Nite time is my hardest time too! I'll do really good all day...good breakfast, good lunch, good dinner at a decent time...and starting 10:00...i'm starving!! And instead of eating a healthy snack, i always look at it as, well I'm eating after dinner and killing it already, i might as well eat all of the things that I want and starting "tomorrow" i won't eat after dinner at all.

This is my number one habit i'm working on breaking!!
Carmella555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2004, 06:08 PM   #8  

Hey,I can definately relate. What I've learned about night eating is that it can interupt your sleep and can also be very addictive (for me same time every night). Amost like a robotic trance like act. It's also formally known as Night Eating Syndrome which affects thousands of people.
nighteater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2004, 02:11 AM   #9  
Peg

Hey everyone!!! I'm sure glad that there are some other people out there that are in the same situation that I'm in. I've been doing much better than I was in the past. that is, Im not eating EVERY night. Not even near as often. I'm working on establishing a diet, and stick to it. It's a slow process for me, but I'll get there.

Thanks again all
Old 11-14-2004, 09:46 AM   #10  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

Hey Peg !

I have the same problem. Try going to bed early, it really helps, or just go in your bedroom and read a book or watch tv. Anything to get away from the kitchen.

Hugs !!
Leenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2004, 11:53 AM   #11  

I so have this problem too. I stay on plan all day, then blow it in the evening. It's like once I start (with dinner) I just cannot stop eating!!!
Jazzmine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2005, 09:42 PM   #12  
Chocoholic

I can relate to this too....I'm so good during the day...but then at night I find myself veging out in front of the TV with all kinds of snacks.
WhoMeNah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2005, 10:28 PM   #13  
Ilene the Bean

After supper we do the dishes, clean the kitchen, I make my coffee for the next day, close the kitchen, and then I run (some days almost literally) upstairs and I spend my evening doing whatever... But I don't go back to the kitchen! To distract myself I will: read, take a bath, read in the bath, come to 3FC and post, drink tea or hot water with lemon, brush my teeth, last but not least go to bed....
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2005, 11:41 AM   #14  

I do, too. I eat dinner and then around midnight or so, I will get hungry. I'll get something that's equivalent to a lunch (ie: a sandwich, macaroni, etc) and then go to bed on another full stomach. Hmph.
freakshow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2005, 04:52 PM   #15  

Dear Forum Friends I am reading a great book "Overcoming Night Eating Syndrome" I have found it very helpful. Also I realize that my father had NES when I was a child so funny I never thought of it beforenow. Susanna
Susanna is offline   Reply With Quote