Does it Work? Unsure if the latest product or service lives up to it's claims? From popular products to the latest scams, discuss it here before you buy!

Closed Thread

Old 09-28-2004, 01:54 PM   #1  
Want to see less of me

S/C/G: 260/255/185

Default Diet Power Software

Not really a weight loss aid.. but a program. I am just curious to know if anyone has used it and it was effective, I am testing it out right now and don't know if I should buy it!
Old 09-28-2004, 02:15 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 197/159/140

Height: 5' 4"

I went with the free trial and really enjoyed it. A friend of mine bought it and it's helped her lose 60 lbs! I think what determines whether it *works* or not is what kind of person you are. If you really like counting and seeing where your calorie count is going and where your nutrients are; if you like being reminded about your water intake; and you like reading charts, I think the program would be perfect for you! But if you're not that kind of person, then maybe you should find another way to track your progress....
Old 09-28-2004, 02:22 PM   #3  
Annie - Indiana

S/C/G: 303/143/165

Height: 5'9"

Fitday.com offeres about the same things you are stating only for FREE>
Old 09-28-2004, 02:39 PM   #4  

Yes, Ma'am. You are 100% correct. My friend used FitDay too...in fact, she was the one who introduced me to both programs. I think she liked Diet Power though, because she could do all of it offline. But Fit Day is awesome!
Old 09-28-2004, 08:31 PM   #5  
Empress/Queen

You can now download FitDay as well, but there's a price, not sure how much! But you do have the choice.
Old 09-28-2004, 09:26 PM   #6  
Want to see less of me

Thanks! I appreciate the feedback!!
Old 09-29-2004, 07:21 AM   #7  

Hey, no problem! I'm here to offer as much feedback as possible (translate: I love to talk! LOL) I think Diet Power is $50!
Old 09-29-2004, 07:43 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 201/201/110

Height: 5'1"

Default diet power

I have the diet power software and i love it. I havent used fitday so much, so i cant tell you if they offer the same thing or not, but some of the plus's to diet power is that when you input your goal weight and goal date, it will tell you if that is an insane time frame or not, and also what your ideal should be. The graph will show you were you are and where you want to be (two seperate lines). It will adjust your caloric needed based on how much you lose in a week. You can add food to the food database-even put it in your fav so you dont have to look it up every time-log in all workouts-add them to, if they are not in the database, and you can see a breakdown of all calories and nutirents, workouts and everything else.You can customize what you see for the nutirents, speciviy preg, nursing, what medical probls you have, and what diet you are on. You can also have more than one user on the prog-i think it is 4. YOu can transfer the data from one computer to antoher-but if you cant load the program to say a work computer, this is not useful. The only two cons i have with the program are you have to weigh yourself everyday, which can be bad mentally, and it is better to buy the cd (i think you can opt to pay online and get it then, plus a little extra for the cd-but i cant remember now) because if yoru computer crashes, then you will have to buy the cd later on anyways. If you didnt buy it, you just lost that money. But otherwise it is a great program and i like using it. Jsut have to see if it works better for you than fitday. Hope this helps!
Old 09-29-2004, 10:39 AM   #9  

Default Another Dietpower fan

I love this program. I bought it last December when my Dietwatch software finally died. This was the best investment I could have made. Yes it was $50.00.

I personally really dislike Fitday. The big problem for me was in order to use the free program you had to be online and it took forever to enter in a days worth of food. I found the foods they had pre-entered to be off from the labels of the items Iw as buying so I would have had to enter a lot of custom foods. And that meant more time online.

I like that I can enter recipes into Dietpower and it will track all my nutrients. I like that I can enter custom foods. I like that I can access it anytime. I know some of these things can be done in Fitday, but for me the benefits of DietPower far outweigh the cost. When Dietpower recently upgraded their software, I was offered the upgrade for a penny since I had owned the software for only three months.

DietPower does have some flaws but I choose to ignore them. It sometimes prompts me I need more cholesterol or saturated fats! It also sometimes assigns ridiculous metabolic rates, but with the newer version you can set a regular calorie limt that doesn't take that into effect.

Good Luck with whatever you choose.
Old 09-29-2004, 11:31 AM   #10  
Want to see less of me

Well I bought the FitDay program (it was only $20) what could I lose other than the $20. It is alright so far. I think I like Diet Power much better, however, I don't know that I am willing to pay $54.99. I will try FitDay out for a bit and see where I end up!
Old 09-30-2004, 07:53 AM   #11  

Regardless of what any program ya'll use, I wish you all success!
Old 09-30-2004, 06:29 PM   #12  
Want to see less of me

Default Diet Power vs FitDay

Well it didn't take me long to realize how much better Diet Power is. FitDay, I don't know, there is something about it i don't like. Diet Power just lays out for you so much better! Now the decision, do I buy it, I dunno ......
Old 09-30-2004, 10:31 PM   #13  
I climb mountains!

S/C/G: 284/208/145

Thumbs up I love Diet Power!

I have used Diet Power since the beginning of March, and I love it. FitDay's ok, but Diet Power ROCKS!

I used to use FitDay, until I discovered DietPower and I FAR prefer it. I've spoken about it here and elsewhere, so if you've already heard me talk about it, then stop reading now. It is not free after the first 2 weeks (after the first free two weeks, it's like 55 bucks to own the software on a disk - so you can install it on more than one computer and then transfer info back and forth between them either via disk or email in order to remain updated) but you don't have to be online, it does SO much more than FitDay....and it is much easier to use in many different ways. It's won a bunch of awards, and has been recognized by some different health/fitness mag's and organizations, and has a forum and great technical support.

It's not just for logging and tracking your nutrition, but in doing both, it tracks more and gives much more information than FitDay. It tracks your metabolic rate, adjusting daily, based on your weight, exercise, and caloric intake, among other things. (A note to those who wonder how it calculates the metabolic rate, check it out in the Help section and it's totally explained.)

You can set weight loss goals and it projects your anticipated results in comparison to the goals, complete with graphs.

You can customize your exercise, adding exercises that are not in the database, and it modifies the calories burned as you lose (or gain) weight.

In addition to having a huge database of foods and the ability to customize foods, you can create recipes, then indicate how many servings are yielded, and it breaks down the micro- and macronutrients for each serving. You can keep a section for favorite foods (and vitamins, etc.) and then just drag and drop the items into the new day's entries. For instance, my breakfast is a combo of Kashi Go Lean, All Bran Extra Fiber, Protein Drink, and Fat Free Milk; I entered them all in a recipe I named Kashi Breakfast, put it in my favorites, and now all I need to do is drag and drop once.

It has calendar, calculator, and journal functions. It has a huge library of information on different nutrients, including which foods are rich in them. It tells you where your nutrients are lacking (based on customizable nutritional goals -- like for instance monitoring your sodium or sugar) and then makes recommendations for foods you like based on your own previous food entries.

It has so much more that I couldn't possibly go into here. Suffice to say it rocks, and I just love it!!! FitDay is cool, but DietPower is just in another category altogether.....another level of product. Also, they offer discounts on different products -- so I got my Tanita food scale and body fat scale, as well as my pedometer at a good discount. I would have gotten those things anyway, so I sort of mentally applied them against the cost of the software. For me, the cost has absolutely been worth it.....I think of it as the cost of a decent dinner out with my sweetie, and so spending that money in this way is certainly worthwhile.

If it's a matter of ability to pay, then that is a reality that noone can argue with, and FitDay online is ok for what it is and could serve you just fine. If, however, it's a question of Diet Power being interchangable with FitDay -- well I believe that anyone who says it is has either never used the product , or just didn't use it to its full capability or capacity.

These are not the same product -- not by a long shot. Good luck, whichever route you take.
Old 10-01-2004, 12:30 AM   #14  
Want to see less of me

Well I did it! I purchased Diet Power. I played around with FitDay and quickly realized the differences. Diet Power does have soooo much more to offer! I find it more user friendly! I spent the cash so now I have to use it my hubby says! October 1st, a new month and the beginning of a new me! It is nice to know I am not the only one using it .. there fore any questions -- I know who to go to!
Old 10-01-2004, 06:47 AM   #15  

Good luck, Dawn! I don't think you'll be disappointed.
Closed Thread