General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Closed Thread

Old 06-12-2001, 12:10 AM   #1  

Talking Body for Life #6

Body for Life #6
Our Introductory Material.

Check this post for general information about :
1. Body for Life (what it is and how it works).
2. BFL links (Please let me know if you have more!) and
3. a short critique by Mrs. Jim at the end of her week 3

BFL eating program in a nutshell (see book for more details):
six meals a day 2-3 hours apart consisting of balanced (or close to balanced) protein/carb using fist/palm method of measurement.
Recommended grams per day: divide lean body weight by 6 and that is how much carbs/protein you should have at each meal but it tends to correspond to your palm (protein) and fist (carbs). Add green veggies to 2 meals per day. Drink 8-10 glasses of water per day.

Because of the six meal requirement, some people find it convenient to have Meal Replacement Drinks and/or Bars on hand. This is not a requirement but a convenience.

Meal Replacement Shakes and Bars (Shakes are better IMHO). Look for good ratios of protein to carb and low sugar (Myoplex by EAS and Met Rx not anything like Slimfast

Vitamins: suggest multivitamin

Supplements: l-glutamine for faster muscle recovery and immune system (this is not required but almost standard fare on BFL)

Supplements optional: many options but few (other than creatine) that is standard fare.

Workout schedule (see book for more details): 47-60 minutes intense (using supersetting and drop sets) weight trainining 3 times a week working lower and upper body on different days.

20 minutes intense interval cardio 3 x a week (see the BFL book)

Free Day: One day a week no workout and eat any thing you please, as much as you please.

Rest: 12 weeks of program with one day of rest each week and then one week of rest between each 12 weeks.

Mental requirements: commitment and dedication

Body for life Links

http://*************.com/group/bodyforlife

http://clubs.yahoo.com/clubs/bodyforlifeplus
(for plus women)

http://www.hussman.com/eas/

http://www.bodyforlife.com/

http://www.leanandstrong.com/

http://clubs.yahoo.com/clubs/bodyforlifewomensclub
(for women)

http://www.eas.com

http://clubs.yahoo.com/clubs/bodyforlife

http://www.bflrecipes.bigstep.com

http://www.bflsupport.com

http://www.gymamerica.com/gti/exerc...ted_demo_index/
(Thanks Christie!)

http://www.planetkc.com/exrx/Lists/Directory.html

http://bodybuilding.about.com/recre...ing/?once=true&

http://www.musclemedia.com/training/BootCamp.asp
(AB BOOTCAMP!!!)

http://www.musclemedia.com/training/hiit.asp
(HIIT)

From BFL #3 Thread: Mrs. Jim's critique at the end of Week 3

Woo! Today's end of Week 3...
...I'm feeling great - my arms are sore (not unbearably so) from yesterday's UBWO...

For the remaining 9 weeks, I've downloaded and printed copies of the progress reports, then written down the strength training routines, with the dates on top (not the planned weight to lift though - I write that in the night before). Each week, I'll pull out the three strength training routines for that particular week and put them on my refrigerator to grab on my way to the gym each morning!

My opinion is, if you want to truly succeed at losing weight in any case - not just BFL - it requires some advance planning, reading/researching, etc. When you're considering a weight-loss/fitness plan, don't just go blindly into it. Do some reading and research. Talk to people (on line or in person) about how they've done on the plan - preferably those who have done the plan in the past, or for more than a few weeks. Ask yourself "Can I stay on this plan for X amount of weeks? Will I be able to KEEP the weight off? Can I afford to do this?"

Let's face it, BFL isn't for everyone (though I would strongly encourage all to give it a look!), just like WW or other plans don't work for everyone. It's important to find a plan you can live with for an extended period of time!

The things that appealed to me about BFL were:

*The structure of the plan - I've lifted weights in the past, but didn't have an actual routine to make them more effective. I like the way BFL's weight training is set up and timed - it's fast paced and actually enjoyable!

*Even though I'm doing less cardio than in the past (where I would typically spend 80 minutes on the EFX, followed by 5 minutes on the treadmill and 10-15 minutes lifting weights, six or seven days a week, in addition to long hilly bike rides on the weekends) I find I'm getting more out of it. My typical BFL cardio workout day consists of doing the 20 minute solution (using a HRM to monitor my intensity), THEN doing a 40-minute easy 'jog' keeping my HR low (120-140 HR) just because I enjoy it...I still do my Friday Spin class but only after my strength training and usually only stay for the first 35 minutes (primarily because of my work schedule).

*Another great thing is the FREE DAY...can't say enough about it. It's kind of exciting to plan what I'm going to be eating on Sunday! In addition, Jim and I usually go cycling or are out and about, so it's not like I'm hanging around the house pigging out...I still don't know what I want tomorrow...we did Mexican last week...maybe Italian??

Well, gotta go - my Myoplex is ready! Later...

Old 06-12-2001, 02:51 AM   #2  

My own page with week 11 pix (more work on it after I finish week 12)

http://home.att.net/~s_j_e/bflweek10.htm
Old 06-12-2001, 01:54 PM   #3  

Susan,
I asked some questions about a month ago about BFL, yesterday I started the first day of my challenge. I didn't officially register because I am not using EAS supplements. Right now I am using GNC Whey Protein. I am using that to supplement a couple of meals a day. I weighed and measured before starting anything. I am also taking Mega Woman Multi Vitamins. I did my upper body workout yesterday and my cardio today. I did not plan my food as well yesterday as I had hoped, but today is going much better. Drinking the water is the easy part.

I wanted to let you know that I looked at your pictures and I can see a big difference you really look good. I hope for hubby to get a picture of me tonight.

If someone could post a one of their daily meals plans and the differents things you eat.

Do you plan your meals a week in advance or do you do them the day before? I think Bill recommends the week in advance.

Any of your experiences you want to share would be totally helpful. My hubby is also doing this with me, so hopefully he will be a help not a hinderance.

Thanks
blastit - also named Susan

Old 06-12-2001, 03:47 PM   #4  
Uber-Moderator!!

Angry Just checking the threads...

...before I go back to work...

Blastit - did you get the "Body for Life" book? The website has a lot of info but the book is an extremely valuable reference as well. Check your library if you don't want to spend the $ on it. Or go to www.half.com - though I saw some copies there for under $10.

As far as meal planning goes, during the week I pretty much eat the same thing every day anyway. Sounds boring but that's the way I like it! I have 3 Myoplex shakes a day and three small meals. Two good (cheap) places to order Myoplex is vitaglo.com and netrition.com (which also supports the Lean & Strong board). I have been paying an average of $1.20 a serving for Myoplex Lite or less - as low as $1.13/serving. Make sure you buy the 42-serving box as it is a BIG savings!! I also bought a LOT of it as many of these places have either one-rate shipping ($4.95 flat rate) or FREE shipping, so it pays to buy in bulk if you can swing it.

I've got to remember to buy a box of Jell-O Instant Sugar-Free Pudding to try the MyoPudding recipe. The pudding aisle is not one I generally go to at Safeway.

As I said before Jim will be taking my 8 week progress photos on Sunday, which I'll post at www.leanandstrong.com site.

Gotta run - got a meeting! Catch ya this evening.
Old 06-12-2001, 07:29 PM   #5  

Hi Susan and Welcome!

I usually plan my meals and do any cooking I need to do on Sunday. I usually cook up a big thing of steel cut oats and measure the amt of carbs and balance it with egg beaters and some protein powder. I throw in the egg beaters and protein powder (pp is about a third and I'm going to heat it up so it needs to be soy), mix with Splenda, butter buds, cinnamon and a pinch of salt, put in a baking dish (if it's watery, it will solidify) and sprinkle with cinnamon and bake for about 45-60 minutes at 360. I call this oatmeal thingy pie and when I was on the run, it was very good to bring with me (I'm not a first thing in the morning person).

I also will add pp to fresh cooked oatmeal. It is pasty but I like it. Some people hate it.

My third breakfast is a carton of eggbeaters and 2 pieces of wheat toast dry.

Some days I start out with a shake, orange jubilee myoplex (half) with a piece of fruit or met rx vanilla (whole thing).

My second meal is usually a shake even if my first one is also.

On Sunday I usually marinade boneless chicken breasts in a fat free marinade and cook up a batch on the Foreman.

I also cook up a batch of sweet potatoes made with splenda and cinnamon.

For lunch I have chicken and fruit and a salad or chicken over a salad with fat free dressing.

For dinner I'll have turkey meatloaf or chicken with baked potato or sweet potato and a veggie.

My fifth meal is usually some combo of lunch and dinner or chicken and rice. I have tried cottage cheese and yogurt or a meal replacement bar but I am not a huge fan of those.

My last meal is a shake, usually my last half of Orange Jubilee with some fruit.

Don't know if this helps. There are many variations on this. Try foods you like. The shakes make it easier so that is why I buy them and I love them. Like MrsJim I usually eat the same thing every week. That way I know what to eat and I don't have to think about it.

If you have ?'s, let us know.
Susan
Old 06-13-2001, 12:13 AM   #6  
Uber-Moderator!!

Angry Finally get the chance to post again!!

Right after work today, I got a call from my five year old nephew asking me to babysit him and his sister, and I just got home...sitting back with a Root Beer Float Myoplex Lite and catchin' up on the boards...

Anyway back to meals.

Usually for dinner I'll just toss a boneless skinless chicken breast on the ol' Foreman (I've got a Champ but now I'm thinking I'd better move up to one of the larger ones!), make some brown rice and a veggie, add a bit of lime juice and pepper and I'm fine. Last night though I made my BFL Joe's Special and it was great - Jim REALLY liked it...although he had to add a few dollops of A1 Sauce - it is a bit bland if you like a lot of seasoning.

I've posted the recipe on Lean & Strong's cooking library if you want to check it out. Basically, it's lean ground beef, spinach, garlic, and Egg Beaters all mixed together - I added some sliced mushrooms as well - can't get enough of those veggies! I ate some of the leftovers today before going to my sister's house, mixed with brown and wild rice. Tres Yum!

Luckily right near my work I have several options but my current favorite is a Japanese fast-food place called Mydashi. They specialize in RICE BOWLS and you can get BROWN rice on request!!! My usual order is simmered veggies and grilled chicken with brown rice. They give you tons of rice - I usually eat 1/2 the rice since I don't need all those carbs.

Like Susanje (SJ) I still can't quite believe how I never seem to be hungry or crave anything during the week, except on Saturday night when I'm anticipating Free Day! Take care all!
Old 06-13-2001, 09:47 AM   #7  

Ladies thanks for all the menu ideas. I have had egg white with ff ham and low fat cheese for breakfast, then a shake about 9:30, Tuna with tomato and mustard for lunch, cottage cheese with some peaches (no sugar added) for my fourth meal, chicken breast, green salad and green beans for my fifth and a shake for my sixth meal. I can honestly say I haven't been hungry! Too much eating to be hungry. Oatmeal with splenda and cinnimon sounds good, so does the sweet potato with the splenda and cinnimon I will adding those to my must try list. I will check out the website with the recipes too.

How often do you measure yourself and weigh? I am going to try not to step on the bathroom scales because I get so emotional about those numbers I just throw those eating habits to the wind and eat junk.

I don't think I shared a lot of stats, but I am 37, weigh 219 I am 5'9" tall, no health problems other than being overweight. I am married and have a four year old little girl (the light of my life). Probably more than you wanted to know ha!

I am really committed to staying on this for 12 weeks.

Thanks again for your help. You will probably being seeing me drop in here a couple time a day except for weekends.

Susan - blastit
Old 06-13-2001, 10:13 AM   #8  

Hi Susan,

I weighed and measured myself in the beginning, week 6 and again week 10 and will the end of this week (week 12). Don't do it too often or it will become discouraging. Many times you will build muscle quicker than you will lose fat and the effect will be to feel thicker (usually around weeks 4-6) for a while but then the fat will just start to melt off. So just focus on your commitment for 12 weeks and give it a chance to happen. IT WILL HAPPEN. There is simply no way to follow BFL to the letter and not have great results. That is because BFL is the real deal. It is not only the quantity of food, but the quality of food. It is not only the working out but the intensity of the working out. It's the way to go!!!

Susan
Old 06-13-2001, 11:29 AM   #9  
Uber-Moderator!!

Angry Weighing/measuring

Out of sheer habit, I weigh and measure myself every Sunday morning (which is also my Free Day). Next challenge I plan to only do that once every three weeks. I just measure my hips and waist, and also have a body fat tester that I acquired recently (the Accumeasure calipers - got 'em free from www.netrition.com). When I start C2, I'm going to measure my hips, thigh, waist, upper arm, chest and keep track - but I agree the scale can drive you absolutely bananas! Best to rely on how your clothes fit - I can really tell a difference there. Take care.
Old 06-13-2001, 02:31 PM   #10  
Check out my homepage=>

I've been so far off-program it's not even funny! I worked out today for the first time since last Thursday....yuck! I've allowed myself to get "too busy" at work, and the job is creeping into my sacred workout time.

This after slacking off because I felt too lousy to work out.

But I made a hugely important discovery in the last 2 weeks. It wasn't my thyroid. It was my diet!!! I started using Weight Watchers materials this spring. The strict journaling and point counting has really helped me keep track of my eating, and the weight has FINALLY been coming off.

However, apparently I can't walk and chew gum at the same time, nutritionally speaking. In all my record keeping and counting, I somehow lost sight of the KINDS of food I was beginning to re-introduce into my diet. Bad mistake, tho an easy enough one to make.

Simply put, my bod was starving. It just doesn't take well to high-sugar, refined, high-starch foods. I already knew that...I just lost track. I stopped ALL refined, processed, high-glycemic and starchy foods...and within 2 days I felt like a completely different person!

Who'da thunk it?

Anyway, I "passed inspection" with my trainer today, and am back on a full workout schedule again! Yippee!!! And NO MORE JOB leaking into my workout time, either! I'll make sure of that!
Old 06-13-2001, 10:30 PM   #11  

LIZ I was feeling exactly the same on WW and ended up having blood tests done as felt there must of been something medically wrong .
I had previously cut all the 'rubbish' from my diet (was just eating tooo much of it) and just like you it all crept back in when I counted points.
I remember now thinking it was Ok to eat those things cos Id counted the points but it makes me feel lousy when it ends up being the staple of my diet

Well I am hanging in there but I have had the most horrible headache and nausta for the past 30hrs . I was fine Monday and Tuesday but yesterday I just got worse and worse and spent nearly all the day in bed. My feeling, it was the sudden cut back on the calories and especially the overload of carbs my poor system has growen used to. I am not hungry and am eating well I just think it must be the shock. I do suffer from migraines but havnt had one in quite awhile. I notice that while Ive been putting on weight and keeping constaintly stuffed they stay away For this reason I am wondering if this is going to hit me every week if I do eat what I want on Sunday. What do you think ??
Glad the weighing yourself ? came up as I was wondering what you guys do. Im going to weigh in every Sunday like you MrsJim.
Im used to weighing myself every day
Interesting to read what you eat too, its such a change for me,Much Less fat and carbs and more protien. Ive started using Fitday too, its a great tool!!

Its now thursday afternoon 2:40 here and Im feeling much better so will get out for a walk. Im sure the fresh air will do me good.
Old 06-13-2001, 11:29 PM   #12  
Uber-Moderator!!

Thumbs down I feel so exhilerated right now...

...just came back from my first (unexpected) horseback riding lesson...I just went there to check it out and the old cowboy who runs the place said, well do you want to take a lesson now?? and I said, well...okay.

He learned to ride on his family's ranch when this whole area (San Francisco Peninsula) was cattle country (pre-Silicon Valley of course) from an old vaquero. So instead of putting a saddle on the horse, I started bareback - wearing my shorts and with bare feet to boot! Actually it seems to be a GREAT way of learning how to get to know the horse's movements. Thank goodness I have cardio rather that LBWO tomorrow 'cos I know my inner thighs are gonna ache like the dickens!

Anyway, back to BFL. Bee, I just read what you said about the points thing. That same thing happened to me when I was on WW, only it was either exchanges or Fat & Fiber depending on when I was attending. You really get obessed with counting your portions - I just never seemed to be satisfied...and didn't have much success - all that weighing and measuring is just not MY BAG, BABY!! The hand/fist method of portioning is much simpler for me! I'm gonna hit the bath - take care!
Old 06-14-2001, 09:39 AM   #13  
Check out my homepage=>

MrsJim - I love the new Lower Body Workout! Maybe you'll have to change your tag from "Cycle" to "horse"??

Bee - So sorry to hear you're feeling poorly; hope you're doing better now! I also hope it's only "junk food hangover" (or perhaps caffeine withdrawal?). Free day for me probably won't be much more than a tasty treat or much-desired food. I've never been much for Free Day anyway - it's usually more like Free Meal! But it's simply not worth it to have to "go thru detox" and feel so lousy! Besides, my craving for those kinds of foods is WAY down - knowing how I'll feel afterwards has removed most of my interest in eating them, anyway.

blastit - I normally weigh myself every Wednesday, just as a reference point. I don't take the numbers themselves very seriously, and use weight only as a reference point and "just one more statistic" in my file! I'm paying more attention to weight as a general trend now, only because I'm no longer building signficant amounts of lean muscle tissue and weight is one of the indicators I use to measure body.

susanje - I just saw your latest website version - GO, YOU WONDERWOMAN!!!! Yahoo, girl - what fabulous changes!!!

Anybody up for a mini-challenge between now and 4th of July? Huh? Huh?
Old 06-14-2001, 09:58 AM   #14  
Uber-Moderator!!

Thumbs down Day after riding...

All I can say is - I ache but not nearly as much as I thought I would - my opinion is that I'm used to working those muscles through LBWO and also that I'm taking glutamine regularly - which is supposed to help in recovery. I'm using CytoVol but will probably switch to regular (cheaper) glutamine powder after I'm done with the container. I also have capsules that I bought at GNC but I think the powder works faster and more effectively for some reason??

I will probably consider changing my 'handle' as soon as Jim takes a photo of me riding - which will probably be in the next few weeks or so. Eldon (the old cowboy who runs the ranch) is great - if I work around the ranch I can get free or cheaper lessons. I'd enjoy being around the horses anyway and a super bonus is that cleaning stalls, feeding hay, etc. etc. are real calorie-chewing exercises and really build up the muscles!

MizLiz - I totally agree that SJ's pix are OUTSTANDING!!! What changes she has made - after only 11 weeks. I wish that the other people who post on the forum who are struggling on other WOE's would only take a look at her pix (as well as checking out the transformation pix on Lean & Strong's site) they would really start to consider giving BFL a real try!

My first Free Day was eat eat eat - kinda like a kid in a candy store! - but now that I'm accustomed to it, it's more like two free meals - and I don't feel compelled to stuff myself into a Thanksgiving-type coma. When I'm full, I stop. The last couple of Sundays, I didn't feel like buying a pint of Cherry Garcia like I had been doing the first Free Days. Somehow, knowing I have permission to have it, kinda takes the craving away. Weird huh?

Bee - I think MsLiz is right about the caffeine/sugar hangover. Once your bod gets used to eating more protein and less carbs (although BFL isn't a low-carb plan - I don't think you could do the intense workouts if it was - we all need carbs for energy!) you'll start feeling better and better!!!

Well, Jim is waiting to check his bank account so I gotta jam!!! Later gals!
Old 06-14-2001, 11:30 AM   #15  

Thank you everyone about the pix. More coming soon!!!

Bee, I don't think I felt so well when I first started BFL. Now I'm just bursting with energy and good cheer. As a friend of mine says "If I felt any better, I'd have to take a pill."

I haven't given up coffee for BFL and it's not required (Bill Phillips drinks six cups a day). He says to add a glass of water for each cup of coffee so I have a cup in the morning and then half a cup in my first vanilla shake so I add 3 glasses of water (I've doubled it just to be safe). If I drink diet soda I add another glass or so but I try to avoid it. The extra water is worth it for the coffee but not for diet soda. I love BFL for many reasons but one is that I don't have to sneak coffee. I've given up every "vice" I've ever had and I don't plan to give up coffee.

Free Day KILLED on Monday the first few times. I went way overboard, ate too much and didn't drink any water. The key is to continue to drink a lot of water. I didn't start to modify free day until I was in week 9 or so. Now I don't try to do a marathon eating binge every Sunday. I usually have a couple of bowls of cereal in the morning and then we go to a buffet place in the afternoon and I get to taste everything. Also I've become aware of what I REALLY want this Sunday. I don't have to have EVERYTHING in one Sunday. Last week was cinnamon rolls. I really wanted Cinabon but I got Cinnamon Grands by Pillsbury and ate 3 out of the 5. Sloooooooooooooooooooooowly. and savored every bite while I read the Sunday paper.

The other thing I did to combat free day was switch my cardio to MWF. Even though it KILLS to do cardio first thing on Monday after Free Day and the fact that it's Monday, it feels GREAT to sweat that crap out first thing Monday morning.

BFLers had told me that I would calm down on Free Day of my own free will after a few Sundays and I did but I love that it's there. It has been very key to my success. The first time I read it in the book I thought, "DOES THIS SAY WHAT I THINK IT SAYS?"
Eat what you want? As much as you want? That CAN'T BE RIGHT!!!!! But it is and I love it. It's just so counter intuitive if you've been on every dopey fad diet all your life.

I also struggled with the type of food on WW. I thought the goal was to get away with as many points as I could. I constantly thought of ways to eat fat free food without giving up a lot of points. Healthy eating was not my goal. Designing junky food that could be low in points was the goal and feeling like I was "getting away" with something was a goal. I really am destructive when left to my own devices. Balanced meals? Nah. I went for the highly processed food every time.

Now I have next to no sugar in my diet and hardly any fat (good fat like Udos) and I feel GREAT.

The extra energy helps me to get to the gym and that's a good thing. Off for the LAST UBWO of my 12 weeks.
Have a good day EVERYONE!!!!

-Susan
Closed Thread