Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 09-24-2004, 05:10 PM   #1  
KO
In Pursuit of Divatude!

Default Stress Eating

Hi
I have been workng to change my eating and so far its gone pretty well
except for stress eating
now I make wiser stress eating choices
Example today I stress ate and still have enough calories left for a decent dinner
But I don't want to do this anymore!
I want to not feel the urge to stand in the fridge when the stressmonster gets me
any ideas
Thanks
Kierie
KO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2004, 06:38 PM   #2  

If you have time EXERCISE. That is one of the best stress relievers...

Also find a smart, low calorie, comfort food. Sometimes a leopard can't change it's stripes - - but it can be leaner and faster!!!
Shelle_G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2004, 07:38 PM   #3  

You learned to use food as a way to deal with stress (or, some other emotion, or a lot of different emotions). You can't just say, "I'm going to stop doing this." You have to learn how to deal with these emotions in another way. This takes some experimenting -- what works for some people isn't going to work for someone else. But, I find there are really three things a person in this situation should do for the best possible "cure."

First, distraction is a good technique. Learn to delay the reaction as much as possible. When you get the urge to eat from something other than true physical hunger, make a rule that you have to drink a glass of water first, then wait 20 minutes. If you still feel like eating, see if you can delay again. You're not saying "NO" but if you delay enough, you may find the urge passes. Once you experience that a few times, you'll start learning that just because the voice says "eat" doesn't mean you have to, and you feel better anyway, without the food.

Second, it's important to find a REPLACEMENT for the food when delaying isn't working. Sure, you can find lower-calorie foods to use, and, as you've already done, make wiser, less destructive choices. Those are definitely steps in the right direction. But, it's also important to experiment with non-food stress relievers. As already mentioned, exercise is a good one. Daily exercise helps with general stress relief, but in-the-moment, going for a walk or even taking 10 minutes to do some stretching and deliberate breathing can help. Other tactics are journaling -- writing down why you're stressed and why you want to eat, talking to a friend, working on a hobby, listening to music, meditating, reading, working a crossword puzzle, etc. etc. Not only are many of these delay tactics in and of themselves, but the actions are proven stress relievers. Just think -- what makes you feel more relaxed and calm that doesn't involve food?

Finally, I think this is usually overlooked but in a way is the most important of all -- learning how to mitigate stress before it happens. If you are stressed because you have too much to do, or feel put upon, or angry at the way someone treats you, or WHATEVER -- think about what you can do to change that situation. If you're being walked all over, speak up. If you have too much to do, figure out how to prioritize and dump some of the load. When things still happen -- or if it's something truly out of your control -- then learn to manage your reaction and not be so stressed about it. The AA prayer isn't "God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference" for nothing.

Eating right and losing weight isn't JUST about discipline -- it's about learning what drives us to eat and developing real, practical strategies to deal with those issues. It's not just about NOT eating -- it's about doing what we should be doing INSTEAD of eating.
funniegrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2004, 07:55 PM   #4  
I climb mountains!

S/C/G: 284/208/145

Great post, funniegrrl. Really, really great....
lessofsarahtolove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2004, 11:39 PM   #5  
Blonde Bimbo

S/C/G: 250+/144/135

Height: 5' 4"

I've also found that chewing sugar free gum is a good substitute for when my mouth just wants something to do and people are tired of hearing me ramble. Hehe
almostheaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2004, 10:05 PM   #6  
KO
In Pursuit of Divatude!

Thank you guys for all your imput
Funnie you really inspired me When I was younger I used to keep post its on me to write my random inspirations and aggravations. It might be worth a shot
I don't want food to be my solution its sustenance not a friend
Thanks!
Kierie
KO is offline   Reply With Quote