Old 09-15-2004, 02:10 PM   #1  
Abby's Mommy

Default Tried any new recipies latley??

There's a recipie on the WW board called Cola Chicken. I dont know how to link, so I'll just have to describe it.

Cola Chicken
4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
1 can diet coke (or pepsi, or cola...etc)
1 cup ketchup

Mix ketchup and coke in lidded skillet, add chicken. Bring mixture to a boil, then reduce to medium-low, and simmer for about 45 mins.

The sauce thickens, and it it DELICIOUS!! I tried it using 1/2 cup ketchup, and 1/2 cup BBQ sauce, mmmmmmmmm yummy! My husband HATES ketchup, and LOVES this! It couldn't be any easier!

Anybody else have any easy, healthy ideas?
Ivanna B. Skinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2004, 02:19 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 247/177.5/130

Height: 5'3"

I am going to try that tonight !
tolose85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2004, 03:49 PM   #3  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

The recipe I tried the night before last was a "Pizza Casserole" from the SBD recipe forum. The only change I would make is to maybe add some olives mmm olives. But basically you have a layer of lean ground beef, topped with some tomato sauce, topped with some veggies, topped with some cheese.

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=46522
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2004, 04:18 PM   #4  
I climb mountains!

S/C/G: 284/208/145

Default Not nice.

Oh God. Nelie, you had to say cheese? I love .
lessofsarahtolove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2004, 04:22 PM   #5  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Low fat cheese sarah! I love cheese too and I'll admit that I probably eat it every day.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2004, 04:56 PM   #6  

Mmmmm, that one sounds good Nelie! I'll probably substitue ground chicken or turkey for the ground beef. And I'm with ya on the olives! Plus some mushrooms, onions, peppers, YUM! Okay, when's dinner???

Ketchup in the Cola Chicken, really?? ((cringe)) Don't know about that one, is it really tastey?

Beverly
boiaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2004, 05:36 PM   #7  
missaprylj

Yeah, the idea of ketchup and chicken together irks me. I love BBQ sauce though.

Let's see.... last week I made some rice (1 serving for me, 1 for Dad) and I also cooked 2 chicken breast on top of the stove. Then, I sliced the chicken and added green peppers, onion, and fajita seasoning- a little on the chicken w/ some water to make a sauce, and a little stirred into the rice. I thought it was AWESOME.
Old 09-15-2004, 09:00 PM   #8  
Abby's Mommy

Yeah, I know it sounds wierd, but I think that even without the BBQ it would be good. But, I gotta' say, that BBQ and ketchup together was...well, it was just plain yummy!
That pizza casserole sounds yummy too!
Ivanna B. Skinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2004, 11:35 PM   #9  
Live for the Moment!

You guys are asking about Ketchup with the Chicken?! I'm more worried about the cola in chicken?! Maybe I will try it... kinda' scared though!

As for me, no real new recipes lately except I did make some really good stuffed peppers and they were yummy!

Extra Lean Ground Beef
Rice
Tomatoe Sauce (seasoned to your liking)

Mix all that stuff together(cooked)... stuff the peppers (whatever color you want) put a little grated cheese on top and bake until cheese is melted and peppers have softened to your liking!
Br00klyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2004, 01:18 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 344/279.1/???

I'll share a PC recipe that is quick and easy and tastes great, especially if you're in the mood for Mexican.

Enchilada Soup Recipe
1/2 pound 95% lean ground beef
1/2 cup diced red bell pepper
1 garlic clove, pressed
2 cans (10 ounces each) enchilada sauce
1/4 cup masa harina (instant corn masa mix) or all-purpose flour
1 can (15 ounces) black beans, drained and rinsed
2 cans (14-141/2 ounces each) beef broth
2 cups water
1 cup thinly sliced zucchini
1/4 cup snipped fresh cilantro
1 lime
Grated queso fresco or Monterey Jack cheese and pickled jalapeño peppers, chopped (optional)
1. In Professional (4-qt.) Casserole, cook beef over medium-high heat 6-8 minutes or until no longer pink, breaking beef into crumbles. Dice bell pepper. Add bell pepper and garlic pressed with Garlic Press to casserole; cook and stir 2 minutes. Add enchilada sauce, masa harina, beans, broth and water. Bring to a boil; reduce heat to a simmer.
2. Meanwhile, thinly slice zucchini; cut slices into quarters. Snip cilantro using Kitchen Shears. Juice lime using Juicer to measure 2 tablespoons juice. Add zucchini to soup; simmer, uncovered, 2-3 minutes or until crisp-tender. Remove from heat; stir in cilantro and lime juice.
3. If desired, grate cheese and chop jalapeño peppers . Ladle soup into bowls; sprinkle with cheese and jalapeño peppers.

Yield: 8 servings or 16 sample servings (about 10 cups)
Nutrients per serving: (Light) (about 11/4 cups): Calories 130, Total Fat 4 g, Saturated Fat 1.5 g, Cholesterol 20 mg, Carbohydrate 14 g, Protein 10 g, Sodium 630 mg, Fiber 3 g
Cook's Tip: Queso fresco is a fresh, white Mexican cheese that is traditionally crumbled over foods and used to fill enchiladas. It can be found in the refrigerated cheese section of most grocery stores.
Masa harina is finely ground cornmeal that is used to make tortillas and tamales and can be found in the ethnic section of most grocery stores.

I was also going to add that I found a great barbecue sauce that had very few sugar grams and only like 10 calories per TBS. It's made from watermelon rind. When I go back to the store, I'll see if I can find the name of it.
barbygirl43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2004, 07:16 PM   #11  
and Cody too!

S/C/G: 265/245/165

I tried the Cola Chicken recipie tonight and I am so impressed. It is just so good.
My daughter and husband liked it too.

Thanks Amy Jo!

Edit: I made it with the full cup of ketchup and no bbq sauce. It tasted like the barbeque chicken they sell here in the deep pit barbeque places but with way less calories for sure. This will be a meal I make often.

Last edited by JennasMom; 09-20-2004 at 08:09 PM.
JennasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2004, 11:23 AM   #12  
Jennifer

Default Spicy Sichuan-Style Shrimp

I made this recipe a few weeks ago, and I thought it was absolutely delicious. Since it's spicy, it's got lots of flavor, and it's really good for you. You could serve it over rice, but I reserved some of the sauce to use as a dressing to drizzle over baby greens. Yum!

Spicy Sichuan-Style Shrimp

1 1/2 Tbsp. peanut oil
2 tsp. finely chopped fresh ginger
1 Tbsp. coarsely-chopped garlic
2 Tbsp. chopped scallions
1 lb. raw shrimp (deveined!)

Sauce:
1 Tbsp. tomato paste
2 tsp. chili bean sauce
2 tsp. black or cider vinegar
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. ground black pepper
2 tsp. sugar (OPTIONAL - I left out, and it was still great. Or use Splenda!)
2 tsp. sesame oil

Heat wok over high heat. Add oil, and when it's smoking add ginger, garlic, and scallions. Stir-fry for 20 seconds and add shrimp. Stir-fry shrimp for 1 minute. Add sauce and stir-fry for 3 minutes over high heat. Serve.

Makes 4 servings (or 2 nice-sized dinner portions)

According to Diet Power (minus the sugar) 1 serving:

Cal: 199
Fat: 9.6 (Sat 1.6)
Carb: 3.9
Protein: 23.5 (!)
Sodium: 224.8
teapotdynamo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2004, 08:52 AM   #13  

ok i got a lot of ideas but i will try them on the kids and my parents first

i to don't like the way it sounds cola,chicken in all but i'll do it.
majestical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2004, 12:28 PM   #14  
Long Time Member

Height: 5'6

I tried the chicken recipe last night. Not too bad. Jacob minched it right up!!! Thanks for the idea!!
Sandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2005, 10:44 AM   #15  
if only she'd lose weight

S/C/G: 360/see ticker/180

Height: 5'7

Italian Ghoulash. (boo!)

2 eggplants, slices & cubed
1 onion, chopped
2 cans salt free tomatoes, w/their juices
1 bag fresh spinach leaves
1 green pepper, chopped
1 red pepper, chopped
1 yellow pepper, chopped
1 container (16oz) sliced fresh mushrooms
5 cloves of garlic, crushed
chicken broth & olive oil
seasoned pepper to taste
crushed red pepper flakes to taste
parsley flakes, to taste
italian seasoning, if you want
salt, if you want.

Pour chicken broth into stockpot, saute onions in it til they're clear, throw garlic in there while this is happening. Add rest of ingredients gradually, let simmer on low for a good 30 min or until most of the veggies have cooked down.

Serve over noodles or rice & sprinkle with parmesan cheese. Can also throw in a chicken breast or two, shrimps, tofu, beef, etc. But this is the basic veggie slop recipe.

Now share one of yours with me!
SuchAPrettyFace is offline   Reply With Quote