Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 09-21-2004, 10:17 PM   #1  
Searching for Motivation

Exclamation It's been a LONG TIME!!!

Hi everone... the last time I was here was in May of 2003! Since I've been gone, I've gained prolly 10-15 lbs and am quite uncomfortable. I notice it most when I need to bend forward to pick something up or when I try to paint my toenails and find myself holding my breath. Also, my knees and hips are starting to bother me, which I think is scary. To be perfectly honest, this completely sucks. I'm disappointed in myself because all I need is a little motivation - yet, it's completely lacking. I don't really even feel that coming back here is going to do much...it's kind of one of those flighty things we do and then forget (or choose not) to follow through with. Is this making any sense?

I guess what I trying to say is that when I first joined, I was excited and motivated and wanted to exercise. Now, I just feel completely unmotivated and tired and can't even guarantee I'll be back to see if there are any replies to my post. What's up with that?

You know, when I go back and read this it sounds as if I'm depressed. I really don't feel that I am... I honestly think it's more just tired all the time. I swear I suffer from chronic fatigue syndrom. I've been tested twice for ANYTHING just to see if it was physiological or mental; and it must be mental because there is nothing medically wrong with me. It's very frustrating because I don't want to be tired and I also don't want to be forced to take a pill to make me "happy" or keep me energetic. What are my options? Does anyone have advice? I'm unfortunately pretty skeptical at this point...

I know if I read this post and it was from someone else, I'd say buck up, take charge and fix it. It's so easy to say and yet so hard to do... Thanks in advance for the feedback. Hopefully someone can relate.

Jen
sassypie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2004, 10:52 PM   #2  
Samantha

Every here can relate. We have all been there, and that is why we are here, to get motivated on our "down" days. Read this thread for a good motivation:
http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=46773
Samantha2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2004, 06:40 AM   #3  
Blonde Bimbo

S/C/G: 250+/144/135

Height: 5' 4"

As many times as I've been on and off diets, I was surprised at what motivated me this time. It was bending over to tie my shoes then trying to have a conversation with my hubby between gasps of air. Tying my shoes should NOT have left me out of breath...but it did. And I decided that I just didn't want to live that way anymore.

People can tell you all kinds of things to try and motivate you, but the real motivation is going to have to come from deep down. There are several things you can do to try and motivate yourself. Some that I tried include: buying a nice outfit in a size smaller than I wear and hanging it in plain site until it fit, then doing it again; stocking the house with lots of fruits and veggies; if you truly feel a need to pig out...grapes, watermelon and apples are all tasty snack foods ; keep reminding yourself of how you feel on your worst days so you know what you're trying to get away from; hang a picture of Julia Roberts tummy in front of your treadmill LOL!

But ultimately, the motivation has to come from you. You have to be ready to do this. You have to constantly remind yourself why and what you will gain from it. Saving this site to your desktop can be a daily reminder to check in here to help you with motivation. But you need to take some steps like that to provide you with daily motivation so you won't tend to let it slip and forget.

It's work, God is it ever , but the excess of energy I found after losing the weight amazes me. I always wanted to go back to college and finish up my degree I started working on, but always found excuses...tired being the top of the list after working a 40 hour week. Two night classes a week is one of the first things I started when I needed to do something with the extra energy.
almostheaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2004, 11:41 PM   #4  
Searching for Motivation

Samantha - Thanks very much for that thread. It is exactly how I am feeling and the responses are inspirational. I will be sure to go back and visit it again.

Heaven - I relate all too well to being out of breath. I also know that the motivation ultimately comes from me...what will it take before I am ready to take the first step again? I honestly don't know.

Coming back to this site is a step. I think about working out - that is a step. I need to really put some thought into it instead of running away from it - face the issue and don't hide... I am uncomfortable, I don't like the way I feel in my clothes, I cannot go up a flight of stairs without puffing, and on and on.

I need to think about what I eat too. Instead of eating a bite size snickers, which I ate 3 of by the way after I posted the original post, I need to limit myself. One does add up.

Thanks again for the posts. I'll keep thinking and hopefully soon start acting.
Old 09-23-2004, 06:11 AM   #5  
Blonde Bimbo

Quote:
I cannot go up a flight of stairs without puffing, and on and on.
God, I remember how that feels. Now...I run up the steps. One conscious decision you can make is to always take the steps. Eventually you'll stop being out of breath from it. And also park the farthest from every door. Get in the extra walking on a daily basis that way. I had to catch myself wanting to park near the stores for awhile, but now it's automatic. I have my parking spot reserved at the back of the lot. LOL
Old 09-23-2004, 04:20 PM   #6  
Samantha

How are things today, Jen? I hope you are feeling better about your ability to jump aboard!!!! We are all here for you if you need help, support, etc.

(A whole team of cheerleaders are here)

Sam
Old 09-30-2004, 12:45 AM   #7  
Searching for Motivation

Sam - Love the cheerleaders! That put a smile on my face and I've needed it badly this week...

Well, it's been a few days since I checked in and mostly it's because I've been too busy to get on the pc. This past weekend there was a fall festival that I volunteered at and I spend the majority of my weekend there. Then, Sunday night, my youngest daughter (6) had to go to the emergency room due to breathing difficulties. They think she probably has asthma; and as a precaution, we are giving her breathing treatments every 4 hours around the clock and she's out of school all week as a result. So even though I've been home, I've been spending all of my time with her - even when she is feeling well. It's amazing how quickly life can take a turn, you know?

So, the stress has been out in full force this week...starting with my daughter's breathing difficulties, resulting in me missing work (with noone to make it up - it's just me) and she missing school (which we are making up at home daily but is taking forever... I basically have to "teach" her everything she is missing because it's all new to her and WOW is it time-consuming!). Then, my other daughter's birthday was today and trying to make it special with a sick child is less than simple. Trying to keep up with the dishes and making meals on time, all the while just trying to get some sleep...but it's hard when you have to wake up every 4 hours to administer breathing treatments that can last 15 minutes. I'm zonked. I'm tired and want to sleep but I have to be up in 1/2 hour so why bother? I believe everything happens for a reason but unfortunately, I'm too tired and empty-headed to figure that out right now.

Exercise is so far from my thoughts it's not even funny. Eating right is also a joke, I am pretty much eating what and when I can. I hate cooking and it really makes my life a challenge when I have to come up with something that invloves any work when I have so many other things on my plate. It's been chicken nuggets, fries and pizza lately. So quick food suggestions are appreciated.

Ladies, I really don't mean to complain so much so I hope you'll all take my rants as aimless venting. I'm not normally such a negative person - I don't think it helps to look at what's wrong, but rather determine what can be done to resolve......Thanks for listening and I'll check in again when I get a chance.
Old 09-30-2004, 05:41 AM   #8  
Blonde Bimbo

Jen, I'm always on the go too. So I keep my freezer stocked with Green Giant vegetable selections in the boxes, cans of organic veggie soups in the cabinet, whole wheat wraps for quick sandwhiches. But you can also still stop. Just go for the chicken salad instead of the chicken nuggets. Believe me, losing the weight will help with the stress and make you feel soooo much better. So focus on reducing the stress as a motivator. Think positively about weight loss and what all you can gain from it.
Old 09-30-2004, 12:25 PM   #9  
Samantha

Jen - have you thought about stocking up on the Lean Cuisine or Healthy Choice frozen dinners? They are very quick to make, fill me up, and are really good!!

Sam
Old 10-01-2004, 10:00 PM   #10  

Jen--We must live relatively close to each other as I live in Southern Wisconsin. I do so empathize with you as I am a compulsive eater and feel down about my weight often. Sometimes I am able to stay on a program for days at a time and then I eat some sugar or bread and I need to eat more and more.
I also hate to count calories or fat grams and I use any excuse to avoid exercise. You can see by what I have written that I am addicted to simple carbs. I found that out quite a while ago, but knowledge does not always translate to action. Still, I am on this site looking to support others and asking them for help.

I did try weight-loss therapy, and it helped for a while, but dealing with issues does not mean that they go away forever. As someone above wisely wrote(to paraphrase), we will probably never cure our weight issues but only manage them. Still, I believe that therapy is a good idea for some.

What works for me most of the time is the South Beach Plan. There is no calorie counting and the exercise part seems to come naturally after weight loss occurs. I have been on and off of SB since February of this year and have lost 15 lbs. It's not great, but it's a better weight than I was 8 months ago. I keep trying and surprisingly look forward to going back on it after I slip.

Enough about me. Please know that I am here to support you anytime you feel that you need it. Just coming to this site was a big step for you. Venting is so healthy. Sometimes seeing our thoughts and feelings black on white helps to start make decisions. You are doing the right thing by journaling.

Please come back to this site soon. I would love to compare notes.

Gerry
Essie1421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2004, 08:58 AM   #11  

I know how you feel about being tired all the time - I don't know if it's the same for you as it is for me, but long periods of inactivity make my tiredness worse. Conversely, the more I exercise, the better I feel!

As for motivation? No magic words or magic pills or magic anything will make the fundamental change in your mind that's required. You can do that yourself ... and only you ... and once you do you'll be back on your way!
goeatanapple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2004, 02:30 PM   #12  
Searching for Motivation

Thanks for the words of encouragement ladies - it really does mean a lot that you comment and give advice. I do think about excercising occasionally but just don't do it. Why I don't do it is the frustrating part; but I have to believe that at some point thoughts will turn to action. I'll keep popping in and please keep up the encouraging and butt-kicking words. Thanks to you all and have a good weekend.