Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 09-21-2004, 03:18 PM   #1  
Samantha

Default Losing weight but no signs????????

I started my diet on 9-1-04 and have since lost 15 pounds!!!! I am really excited, but I am confused because I have yet to SEE any signs of losing. My pants do not fit any better, and I don't LOOK like I have lost any weight. I do not understand why not. I purchased a pair of pants earlier this year (when I weighed more than I weigh now, but not as much as when I started the diet) and they still don't fit me!! If I have lost 15 pounds, what exactly did I lose? And why don't I FEEL any skinnier?
However, I do feel better as far as I have more energy, sleep better at night, and feel more focused than ever. BUT THAT ISN'T WHY I WENT ON THIS DIET!!! I went on the diet to look good, not just feel good!!!!
Am I doing something wrong? Is there something I could be doing better? Any advice would be great!

Sam
Samantha2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2004, 03:24 PM   #2  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Samantha, it is possible that either you have lost a bit of water weight which is usually what you lose the first couple weeks of your diet and it can be 7-10 lbs. Also, it is possible that you are losing weight in unusual places that you don't notice. I dropped a shoe size but didn't realize it until I went to buy a pair of shoes. I have also lost an inch on each of my wrist as well as my fingers are smaller. What you might want to do is pick a few spots on your body to measure and write those down. Even though the pants test is good, it doesn't tell you the entire story.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2004, 05:48 PM   #3  

Nelie's right ... the weight just doesn't plop off our bellies or butts (I wish), instead it peels away, in sheets, from the whole body. You may not notice it straight away, but it is happening. I suggest once you hit the 1 month mark that you take some progress pics, and keep taking them monthly. Trust me, you'll see the difference then!
goeatanapple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2004, 06:07 PM   #4  
and Cody too!

S/C/G: 265/245/165

Height: 5'6"

I have lost around 30 lbs since 6-21 and I don't see a change yet. I know that there is one because I take measurements and I have lost 7 inches from my waist and more from other places. My jeans fit exactly the same as they always did though.

I have been taking pictures monthly and I think I can see a difference in my face, but I am not sure if is the camera or not, lol.

I figure I shouldn't be discouraged by not seeing a difference. It has got to happen sometime.
JennasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2004, 07:38 PM   #5  
I climb mountains!

S/C/G: 284/208/145

Quote:
Originally Posted by goeatanapple
Nelie's right ... the weight just doesn't plop off our bellies or butts (I wish), instead it peels away, in sheets, from the whole body. You may not notice it straight away, but it is happening.
Samantha, Goeatanapple and Nelie are right. I can tell you that I started at the same weight you did, and I couldn't see a difference for at least 20-30 pounds. I saw a little in my face sometimes, but that was it.

Here's a thread in which I shared something I found called "The Paper Towel Theory," which talks about exactly what you're going through right now. Think back to when you gained the last 15 pounds; did you feel it and see it immediately? Or was it more of a cumulative effect?

You're right around the corner from seeing the visible evidence of all your hard work. It's hard when you're busting your butt, trying so hard to stay on plan, and you can't tell a difference yet, but trust me, you will. I promise! Just stick with it, and keep putting one foot in front of the other going down that road.....you'll get there!
lessofsarahtolove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2004, 09:11 PM   #6  

I just wanted to put in my $.02 here too...

I remember my doctor telling me that no one can notice a weight loss (well some people can, but generally not) until they have lost at least 10% of their body weight...which for you would be about 28lbs if you started at 280... (I'm about the same weight so I understand this definately)....
It's weird though, one day soon you'll pass a mirror or something and suddenly notice it...
Don't give up though, I know you wanna look good (don't we all!) but you are definately well on your way to that....
keep up the good work girl!!!
Tara
eatnothingalive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2004, 10:12 PM   #7  
Samantha

Thank you guys all so much for the words of encouragement. I measured my waist today (very depressing but at least I will know when I begin to make progress) Sarah - I read the thread that you started, and that is a great way to think about it!!! I just can't wait to hear someone tell me - "Have you been losing weight???" OOOHHHH I can't wait!!!
Old 09-21-2004, 11:52 PM   #8  

Default Sausage Bottom Syndrome

Samantha,
You may be suffering from what I lovingly (ha!) refer to as Sausage Bottom Syndrome. If you're like me, as you approached your top weight, you absolutely refused to go buy that next size up pants. So you continue to sausage into that old size. I peaked out at 304 pounds and should have probably been wearing about a size 30 but I swore on pain of death I would not go up that final dress size. So, although I looked like like an over stuffed braughtworst, I continued wearing my size 28's, faithfully praying to the diet Gods every time I left the house that I would not blow a seam in the middle of the frozen food section. I recently started the long road of weight loss and have so far lost 20 pounds. I'm just now getting those size 28's to fit while still being able to breath and not need the jaws of life to get into them. Hang in there. As hard as it is, just keep saying to yourself, "It didn't come on overnight, it won't go off overnight." In the mean time you might want to try finding goals that are not "size oriented". For instance, being able to go up a flight of steps without being so winded you feel like you need a paramedic and three tanks of oxygen. (That was when I first noticed my weight going down. I ran up a flight of steps at work and talked to a co-worker in the stair well instead of having to sneak into the bathroom for 15 minutes to catch my breath after the climb.) Congratulations so far and keep it up!!!!!

Last edited by Breaking Out; 09-21-2004 at 11:55 PM. Reason: typing error
Breaking Out is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2004, 01:18 AM   #9  

Breaking out I love the term of Sausage Bottom!
It is so true and I think that most of us are like that, we refuse to go up a size so we look worse then we would with closes that our fat could fit into then clothes that let the fat spill over, but mentally we feel better because we are not a size 16, we are still a 14 so that mean we really arent gaining weight and we are okay.

I have noticed that before you notice your clothes getting looser on yourself, you might notice yourself looking better in the same clothes, less chub hanging over the pants, less rolls showing under the shirt, and then the clothes will start to be too big.

tye
afireinside723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2004, 04:07 PM   #10  
Samantha

Thank you guys for all of your help!!
Breaking Out - I can DEFINITELY relate to Sausage Bottom Syndrome. That may be what my problem is. If I were to be perfectly honest, my pants were tight already.
Although I don't notice any visible differences, I do feel better, so I must be doing something right!!! I will continue to post here if I do notice a difference!!!

Sam
Old 09-24-2004, 09:35 AM   #11  
singletrack chick

you feel better because you have removed 15 pounds of preasure from your body. your body appreciates the break. you may not have vissible results yet, but your body, by feeling better is letting you know that you are on the right track. 15 pounds is a lot of weight and certainly nothing to scoff at. just because you cant tell a major difference now doesnt mean anything. i remember when i lost my first ten pounds. i got on the scale one morning and couldnt belive it. i looked in the mirror and my face looked a little different but no other changes. just knowing that i had shed 10 pounds off my body made me feel so good that i just couldnt give up. you are so clse to seeing results now. just give it time for you are undoubtably on the right track.
laura_on_a_bike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2004, 05:32 PM   #12  
Samantha

Laura - thank you for the advice. I read somewhere once (here on this site) that when you are beginning to think that losing 10lbs is not much, imagine carrying a 10lb bag of potatoes around with you where ever you go. I thought, wow, bags of potatoes are heavy!!
Old 09-25-2004, 07:42 PM   #13  
Tons of fun!!!!

I thought I would pop in and post my experience, I too was very upset that I had lost 15 and even 20lbs and could not tell a difference, now i am down about 32 lbs, and all of a sudden, my clothes just started falling off, i have to walk around tugging on my pants all day long, and I even had to pop new holes in a belt because the last notch was too big.... dont remmeber that ever happening before....the thing that happened that made it especially real was a pair of jeans that a couple of months ago were unable to button (even while lying on the bed and sucking it in...sausage bottom...he he he) i decided to grab out of the dresser and try to where, and THEY FIT, and are getting loose also..... and for the first time last week someone who didnt know that i was dieting said "wow you have lost a lot of weight!" it felt awesome..... and what a motivator to keep on plan...... so just keep on going and it will happen, I just wish I wasnt on a budget so i could buy clothes that fit better...he he he.....
hippiechic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2004, 08:10 PM   #14  
Samantha

WOW hippiechic - I LIVE for that moment.

I keep hoping...no visible signs yet...maybe after the next 5 pounds, that's what I keep telling myself.
Old 09-26-2004, 05:22 AM   #15  
i luv my dog!

I think this happens to many people. I felt the same way, too. I knew the scale said there was progress but I couldn't see it and it seemed to take FOREVER for the clothes to start getting baggy. As a matter of fact most of my shirts still fit, just with less bulges, as was mentioned earlier. Everyone had some great points to make and here is another thread that is somewhat related to this topic. "How many pounds equals a clothing size change for you? "
http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=46735

Other good points made were about taking measurements and pictures. I didn't do either and wish I had now. I'm not at goal yet so I could still do a "halfway" measurement & photo record - maybe tomorrow.

Anyhoo, just keep doing what you know is right and one day you'll look in the mirror and say - FINALLY- LOL
a broad abroad is offline   Reply With Quote