Old 09-18-2004, 02:22 PM   #1  
I climb mountains!

S/C/G: 284/208/145

Thumbs up Books That Support Your Plan

In discussing some G.I. books and Dr. Weil in another thread, I started to think about all the books that helped me to get and stay on plan. I'll share mine if you share yours!

I'm listing below some of the books that have either informed me, motivated me, or inspired me to be get healthier and lose weight. I'll try to group them according to type(ish):

* The New Glucose Revolution, The Authoritative Guide to The Glycemic Index; Jennie Brand-Miller, Ph.D., et al
* The G.I. Diet; Rick Gallop
* Eating Well for Optimum Health, The Essential Guide to Food, Diet, and Nutrition; Andrew Weil, M.D.
* Super Foods, The Fourteen Foods That Will Change Your Life; Steven Pratt, M.D. and Kathy Matthews
* Thin for Life, 10 Keys to Success from People Who Have Lost * Weight and Kept it Off; Anne M. Fletcher, M.S., R.D.
* Passing for Thin, Losing Half My Weight and Finding My Self; Frances Kuffel
* Minding the Body, Women Writers on Body and Soul; Edited by Patricia Foster
* Two Girls, Fat and Thin; Mary Caitskill
* Body for Life, 12 Weeks to Mental and Physical Strength; Bill Phillips
* The Body Sculpting Bible for Women, The Way to Physical Perfection; James Villepigue and Hugo Rivera
* Supervixen, Secrets for Building a Lean and Sexy Body; Negrita Jayde
* ABSolution, The Practical Solution for Building Your Best Abs; Shawn Phillips

I left off Eating Thin for Life, Food Secrets and Recipes from People Who Have Lost Weight and Kept it Off; Anne Fletcher; because, while I found it sort of interesting, it wasn't usually in line with my nutritional plan and since it's about food I didn't find it to be overall very helpful.

There are also some magazines that I find helpful and/or motivational, like Cooking Light and Fitness for Her and others, but this is a thread about BOOKS (drool) so I'll restrain myself from just completely going off.

What about everyone else??? I would LOVE to hear about what's been helpful to the rest of you! Share the Knowledge!!!
lessofsarahtolove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2004, 03:53 PM   #2  
Jennifer

Sarah!!!

I don't have time to write much right now, but... I've found yet another thing we have in common -- Mary Gaitskill is one of my favorite authors! Two Girls, Fat and Thin is a great book. Have you read Bad Behavior?
teapotdynamo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2004, 04:45 PM   #3  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

I've read tons of books but there are a few that I currently use and have helped me with my current efforts...

I'll second Body for Life by Bill Phillips. Although I've never followed the diet or exercise plan, it is very motivating and the diet plan has influenced my own.

Of course since I follow South Beach Diet, I have to say The South Beach Diet by Dr. Arthur Agatston along with The South Beach Diet Cookbook by Dr. Arthur Agatston.

A lowfat cookbook that I thought was inspirational was Cooking Thin by Kathleen Daelemans. She also has a cooking show on the food channel. Unfortunately, a lot of her recipes aren't SBD friendly so I don't use most of them.

That is all I have for now.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2004, 05:07 PM   #4  
I climb mountains!

Jen, I keep meaning to pick that up -- it's like this recurring theme in my life, it seems! I've been told how great it is so many times I'm amazed I haven't gotten around to reading it, and I have no idea why, since I loved Two Girls! She's great, I love her writing.....I have to say, I've enjoyed your writing on your other thang so much that I'd be interested to hear any of your recommendations!

Nelie, I've been curious about Cooking Thin -- I like her TV show, but it seems like my diet is very similar to the SBD diet, so maybe it wouldn't be too helpful to me either. I read somewhere that her cookbooks offer inspiration -- not just recipes -- so it might be worth it just to get that. Have you found the SBD Cookbook to have good recipes? I think it would support my way of eating, but are they good? If you give me the green light, Nelie, I'll buy it!
Old 09-18-2004, 05:39 PM   #5  
Jen

Height: 5'3"

From Chunk to Hunk, Diary of a Fat Man by Fred Anderson
This isn't so much of a how to book but a book about personal revelations and positive thinking. Also Fred is really funny to boot. He used to post here occasionally on and off years ago.

One of Richard Simmons books, I can't remember the name off the top of my head. I love books by people that have been overweight and lost the weight. I feel that they can relate more to the issues that we face. Not that Richard initially lost the weight in a healthy way and whenever I see him on tv lately he isn't quite as svelte as what he was but I'll bet he is still pretty healthy.

Dr. Phil's Ultimate Weight Solution and the Food Guide - I love his get real attitude though I"m not a huge fan of his show. I'm not much into talk shows and on occasion he comes off with too much of a know it all attitude.

There are a couple of books that have been listed that I think I would like to have a look at, great thread!
Jen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2004, 05:42 PM   #6  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Sarah,
The SBD cookbook has some good recipes, but I've only made a few. I've actually used quite a few recipes from the SBD recipe forum here. Have you tried any of those?

The Cooking Thin book might be a bit expensive for inspiration Although I like looking at different cookbooks to get ideas of things I can make by modifying them.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2004, 12:01 AM   #7  

Thin for Life was the book I read when I was contemplating trying one more time to lose weight. It gave me a huge boost of optimism as well as getting my head in the right place.

I also found a great deal of wisdom and solace in The Thin Books, about compulsive overeating.

Stop the Insanity was inspiring, no matter what you think of Susan Powter's hair. Her ideas on eating aren't quite right, and she DOES have a (understandable) chip on her shoulder about men. But her attitude is infectous and she helped me understand why I always hated aerobics classes and how to exercise in a way that suited me. Another (gentler) book in a similar vein is Fat Chat with Tamara.

I love Kathy Smith, even though the poor girl has never weighed a pound more than she should! I think her book Getting Better All the Time still has a lot to say to people who feel overwhelmed by the effort to get healthy. And every woman trying to lose weight should be forced to read Lift Weights to Lose Weight.

I like the Dr. Phil book too, although I also don't really care for his TV show. My problem with the book is that it's a weeeee bit too "cute" in terms of prose, and he got his book to market before I got mine written.

Years ago I read Jane Brody's Nutrition Book, and her nutrition advice is still right on the money, even though we know more about certain details now than we used to. She also has a couple of cook books that are great.

I read Passing for Thin and am glad I did, although I can't say it has helped me stay on track. It was just good to read something that I could identify with that strongly, at least in parts.

I don't have the title handy, but I read a great little sports psychology book that had daily quotes & meditations. Sports psychology has a LOT to teach anyone trying to get healthy.

I also have to say that subscribing to Shape magazine was a great step for me. I've let the subscription drop, but for about 2 years it was very helpful to have not only practical advice arrive in my mailbox every month, but to have that reinforcement of healthy, active women as role models. I DO wish they would use more models that aren't a size 1 -- my pet peeve -- but it was part of what turned my thinking from "I have to exercise to lose weight" to "I want to be able to do the cool things those women do, and meet those kinds of striving-for-improvement challenges with my body."
funniegrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2004, 01:24 AM   #8  
I climb mountains!

Smile I love this!

Oooh, lots of great suggestions here! I'm happy to hear a couple of titles that are new to me -- just what I need: MORE books!

Nelie, thanks for the tip on the SBD Cookbook vs. recipes here; I almost never follow recipes and read cookbooks for pleasure and some good ideas to use as baselines for my own creations -- sounds like you do that too -- so I'm going to have to remind myself to check out that part of this great website!

Jen, thanks for the tips -- that Chunk to Hunk book (and guy) sound(s) familiar -- I'll have to check him out!

Funniegrrl, I agree with you about Passing for Thin; I included it in my list because I too found myself able to identify with some parts of it -- mostly because I always find it motivational to hear about others' success stories. (And also when I'm done I'll have lost half my weight as well, so hearing of her experience is really interesting even if it's very different than my own.) And you give some other great suggestions too -- THANKS! I know exactly what you mean about Shape magazine and the like being motivational; I subscribe to a couple and regularly read a few more for that very reason. They inspire me and keep me motivated to get my body to a level of fitness that allows me to participate in some of life's activities that I can't yet.

I've made it part of my program and overall strategy to keep this stuff really at the front of my daily consciousness. The more I read about and expose myself to images of physical health and fitness, the less likely it is that I'll find myself "forgetting" that I'm trying to lose 150 pounds when I'm faced with a tray of brownies or bag of chips!

I love that you guys are sharing these titles; I know that I'm finding it really beneficial, so I thank you for taking the time to do it!
Old 09-19-2004, 10:23 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 247/177.5/130

Height: 5'3"

I read a lot of articles and/or internet sites regarding weight loss. I don't think I have actually purchased any books on the subject other than a calorie/fat/carb counter to carry around with me. Maybe I should! Seems like there are some pretty good ones listed here.
tolose85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2004, 10:57 AM   #10  

i remember readiing covert baileys books way back when. i think they are good and fun to read. he focuses on physiology, what happens when you eat certain foods and when you exercise. he may have some updated versions.

i also like breaking the food seduction by neal bernard md. as you read through the book you realize he is not only telling why you crave certain foods but that he is building up an arguement towards...vegetarianism. oooh i couldn't go that far but he was helpful getting me off my milk addiction (yes you read that right, milk of all things) and getting the chocolate under control.

a few years ago a bought a book called the carbohydrates lifespan program. you think i may not be a moron? you be wrong: it's for people in their 40's, 50's and 60's! yeah and i was in my early 30's at the time. so there!

i also bought a recipe book called the ultimate 4 ingredient cookbook but haven't used it yet, it's too complicated for me! oh boy.

great suggestions, good thread
gen
gatsby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2004, 11:31 AM   #11  
I climb mountains!

Talking

Gen, you make me laugh!
Old 09-20-2004, 11:15 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 240/ticker/120

Height: 5 foot 4

What a wonderful Thread! I don't currently own any books on weight loss. Actually the thought never crossed my mind til now. Thanks !!
Mez
mezmerize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2004, 04:05 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 344/279.1/???

Mine would have to be Dr. Phil's books (although ya'll given me some great titles to at least check out from the library.)

Sarah--if you want to check out fred, he has a web site at www.onephatman.com
barbygirl43 is offline   Reply With Quote