Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

View Poll Results: Which Is Better?
Motorized Treadmill 8 88.89%
Tony Little Gazelle Edge Trainer 1 11.11%
Stationary Bike 0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 9. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-13-2004, 07:14 AM   #1  

Default Help! Treadmills VS. Gazelle

I wanted to get a treadmill, but I can't afford one right now. There is a Tony Little Gazelle Edge Trainer for under $100, but I don't know anything about it. Will a Gazelle burn as many calories and work as many muscles as a treadmill? Is it a good idea to get it? Please let me know, I want to start exercising asap. I need your advice, especially if you have used a Gazelle before. Thank you all so much.

Danielle
rivoluzione is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2004, 03:45 PM   #2  

Hi Danielle,
I have a Gazelle and although it's fun without the extra resistance which is the more expensive Gazelle it really doesn't do too much. At least not what I've experienced. It depends on your level of fitness right now as well. If you have pretty good endurance already then the Gazelle wouldn't be challenging enough for you. In fact the elliptical seems most challenging. I would go to a sports store and try one out before I would buy one. Just my 2 cents.
ras8779 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2004, 07:44 AM   #3  
Searching

Or save your money on both. A pedometer, a pair of walking/running shoes and your done. Excercise begins with you not a piece of equipment.

IMO,
Chris
rochemist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2004, 02:21 PM   #4  

Chis,

You are absolutely correct, I have a gazelle (the one with the pistons) and I love using it, I also have a treadmill that I love even more but I use my pedometer more then both put together.
EofAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2004, 05:49 PM   #5  
Ilene the Bean

I'm with Chris and EofA, spend the $100 on a good pair of running or walking shoes and go out and enjoy the view and fresh air...
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2004, 12:24 AM   #6  
WW Moderator

I didn't get the same workout on the gazelle as I did on the treadmill. I had to keep up with the treadmill, and the gazelle only went as hard as I pushed it. I like turning up the treadmill and making myself keep up. I personally am not an outdoor walker/runner. I really do NOT like strange dogs, I don't want to be a source of entertainment for all the fraternity houses in my neighborhood, and I also like to hit the shower when I've had enough. I don't want to find myself 2 miles from home when I decide I'm through. I like my treadmill and my walkman, jug of water and FAN on my face. Ahhhhhh.
Jennifer 3FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2004, 05:01 AM   #7  

Thanks, guys
I ended up just buying the Gazelle because it was affordable. It seems good for me at the level I am at. I'm just starting out. I'm at my highest weight (214) and I need something to get me motivated. It's nice because it's quiet and I can watch TV or listen to music while on it. I do love treadmills though. I also love how they push you, you don't push them. It helps with the motivation, but I had to get what I could afford. I'd love to just buy some shoes and a pedometer, but with all the hurricanes lately and the crappy Florida weather, I doubt I'll be going outside much at all. I would be great, though. I'll definetely do my walking outside when the weather gets better. Thanks for the opinions.
rivoluzione is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2004, 07:08 AM   #8  
Blonde Bimbo

S/C/G: 250+/144/135

Height: 5' 4"

Default Mrs

Just a little off topic here, but maybe of some interest. If you can't afford a treadmill, you might have luck joining your local list at Freecycle.org. Someone has given away a treadmill in my area within the last month.
almostheaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2004, 03:34 PM   #9  

I bought a treadmill about 3 weeks ago and have walked on it everyday except for 2 days when the power was out during Francis. I try to get a mile in each morning, but if I am short on time I do at least 1/2 mile them add anotehr 1/2 to 1 mile more in the evening. I am trying to get up to 2-3 miles per day (more if I can) I walk between 3 and 3.5 MPH. I live in Florida too and the weather is crappy when I can walk. The bad thing about the treadmill is my pup misses her walk now. I hope to see some slimming going on in the hip and thigh area soon. Anyone know how long ti takes to notice changes? I am also logging a "trip" on www.americaonthemove.org. I am walking the Alaska Military Highway.
TerryT is offline   Reply With Quote