Closed Thread

Old 06-11-2001, 02:18 PM   #1  
imaleader

Default The Original (WW 1970) Program

Attached, for your reading pleasure and horror, is the WW program as promoted in meetings throughout the United States in 1970.

Look at how far we've come, and let's appreciate how hard everyone worked way back then (I was one of them, and failed) to get to their goals and become lifetime. By 1970 there were more than 5000 200 pound losers from this plan alone.

Congratulations to anyone out there who succeeded then. Our plan has had huge changes... and it's still a challenge!

Old 06-11-2001, 11:03 PM   #2  

Default How far we have come

# 11 would have sent me screaming for the door Thanks for the look back. Aren't we lucky
Old 06-12-2001, 02:33 AM   #3  
flibbertobbergenie!

Re: No. 11 - Define 'ethnic food' anyway!!! Respect to anyone who followed that and kept their sanity

Lolly
xxx
Old 06-12-2001, 08:39 AM   #4  

Default and this isn't the original program!

WW began in 1961. By 1970 the program had been modified twice. Originally, it was worse...by our standards anyway.
Old 06-12-2001, 09:56 AM   #5  
imaleader

In fact, Weight Watchers began as a business, officially, on May 15, 1963. Jean Nidetch began her journey via the New York City's Obesity Clinic in September 1961, and by sometime in 1962, she had lost her 72 pounds. It was at the end of 1961 (but NOT as Weight Watchers) that she called in six friends, just to talk, about their weight issues, after she spent 10 weeks on the diet prescribed by NYC's dept. of health and lost 20 pounds... She did a great thing for all of us.

Old 06-12-2001, 01:51 PM   #6  
Turtle Buddy

Hi,

I remember this program, too. I was not successful, either. I still shudder when I think about eating that liver. UGH!

Lin
Old 06-12-2001, 02:42 PM   #7  

I lost 195 pounds on that plan and I still am thankful for all it taught me about healthy eating. The new plan sure could put more emphasis how to eat...junk food is not good for anyone and I see people posting that are eating it everyday and wondering why they aren't losing even though they are within their points...if you don't change the way you it, you'll look like you always have.
Old 06-12-2001, 03:00 PM   #8  
imaleader

Well said. I have a member who doesn't understand why SHE isn't losing -- she's having 2-3 points for breakfast (too low, but ok) 3-4 points for lunch (also, low and she's in the 22-27 range) and then at dinner? either she eats all junk (ice cream) or drinks wine.... duh!

have you kept most (or all?!) of that 195 off?

Old 06-12-2001, 03:18 PM   #9  
It's a life long struggle

S/C/G: 230/ticker/150

Height: 5'5"

Default wow

I never would have lasted. I have a hard time even getting all my 5 fruits/veggies during the day. I hate rules
Old 06-14-2001, 04:17 PM   #10  

Default original program....

Many folks lost tons of weight both on the original program and on all the variations since. I think the "specialness" of the original version meant you had to plan your eating VERY carefully and be very strict about everything you put in your mouth. On 123 we can eat just about anywhere anytime, and it's much easier to practice dietary self-deception.

The original was essentially a moderately low carbohydrate diet with lots of protein which is ideal for some folks and poison for others.

The idea of eating 5 beef weiners or a mass of liver is as disgusting to me as it ever was but it was effective for many many people.
Old 06-14-2001, 06:14 PM   #11  
Fit and Feisty

Default Another Old Timer!

As W. C. Fields used to say, "Ah, yes, I remember it well!" I have been on just about every program WW has ever had since I joined the week before Christmas in 1970. I attended the 10th Anniversary celebration at Madison Square Garden in NYC during the summer of 1973 and saw Jean Nidetsch in person.

All of us are indebted to this woman who not only stuck to her program but founded Weight Watchers. We are all richer because of her efforts.
Old 06-14-2001, 06:48 PM   #12  

Quilter,

Agreed that eating junk food daily is rotten for our nutritional health, but why wouldn't folks be losing if they're staying within their points (and exercising and drinking water)? What is the chemical/physiological reason for not losing if you're eating junk but are still within your points range?
Old 06-14-2001, 07:52 PM   #13  

If you don't eat a balanced diet, your health will suffer in the long run. Why do you think we have so many people consulting nutritionists? Most snack food is high cloresterol and we know where that goes. Good diet will help decrease your chance of cancer. We could all just eat ice cream, cake, cookies, chips and lose weight. What I see all over this site and others is people moaning about not losing weight and then saying they save up their points so they can snack all evening. Why do you think we have the guidelines in the Week 6 book? Drinking water and exercising will not combat a poor nutritional intake and all the supplements aren't going to offset everything. Remember the food pyramid?
Old 06-15-2001, 11:02 AM   #14  

Hi, Quilter,

I've followed the food pyramid my entire life; good nutrition is very important to me and I stay well informed on the benefits of healthful eating in combating disease.

My question was, proper nutrition aside, why would people NOT lose if they're staying within their points, exercising and drinking water, regardless of what they're eating...? You say just above that "we could all just eat ice cream, cake, cookies, chips and lose weight," but in your previous message you say, "I see people posting that are eating [junk food] every day and then wondering why they aren't losing even though they are within their points." I'm not speaking in favor of a junk-food diet--just the opposite--I'm just wondering if you're saying that the nutrient content of foods cancels out the caloric content when it comes to losing weight, and, if so, what you mean. I have close ties to a number of RDs who would argue with this premise (while of course staunchly defending the other benefits of a balanced diet!).

Last edited by ShakeThoseHips; 06-15-2001 at 12:21 PM.
Old 06-18-2001, 01:22 PM   #15  

Angry my mom did this one

my mom did this program. i found her old materials in the closet, and read through them... I've tried to get her to go on the 123 program with me, but she is not a person who can plan her meals and eat well. She needs the structure of someone telling her what to eat, at what time, and in what quantities. I really think that WW should have a 2 pronged version of the points. One where you can do your own menus, and the other where they give you a list of meal menus for the week. I think they had something like that about 10 years ago, when i was on the program in 7th grade. Wow. I feel old now. Anyways.
Closed Thread