South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 09-14-2004, 05:33 PM   #1  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Default Out of curiousity, how much is your monthly grocery bill?

I've never been good at keeping track of how much I spend on this and that, but I've been improving. Ever since I started SBD, I haven't been eating out and I've been making all my own meals. I make good use of Costco and I try to buy plenty of fresh veggies. Obviously I buy stuff in one month that I'll use in another month.

Anyway, I charge all my monthly expenses to a cash back credit card and then pay off the credit card at the end of the month. I am able to scan the credit card summary and check how much I've spent at grocery stores. So, I was counting up how much my monthly grocery bill (I live alone mind you) and my estimate is 400 dollars for last month. Although that is a high estimate because I often buy some things at costco for example that aren't food items and I do that at the grocery store as well. My estimate is probably closer to 300 but I'm saying 400 because that is what I spent.

I know I used to eat out a decent amount and every day I would buy lunch at work which was about 120/month for lunches alone.

So I was wondering, does anyone know approximately what they spend on an average month for their food items?
Old 09-14-2004, 06:13 PM   #2  

My average is btw $30-$50 a week, so it is quite a bit less than $400. I do live near a farmers market, and that is sooooooo helpful. I once got a 5 lb bag of green beans for $1. And didn't eat green beans for a month after that. =)
Old 09-14-2004, 06:16 PM   #3  

Hi,
My expenses have definitely gone up since starting SB, but mainly because I do a mid-week shop for fresh veggies. I usually spend $90 on Fridays and $40 on Wednesdays, plus another $150 at Costco once a month or so, so that comes to $670! Yikes! But that's for a 4 people.

Ouch.
Old 09-14-2004, 06:19 PM   #4  

I'm spending $400 to $500 a month for groceries for three people but I'm saving about $150 a month on eating out at lunch so I think I am about even. Maybe even a little cheaper than before.
Old 09-14-2004, 07:52 PM   #5  

Height: 5'-2"

I haven't kept track properly for a few years, but I'd say we spend anywhere from about 400 to 600 dollars a month. That's for a family of four, including one thin, 15 year-old girl with a hollow leg. That also includes keeping a lot of frozen pizzas on hand for her and her friends.
I'm not as careful as I used to be, though, and I'm sure I could easily knock a hundred from that if I made an effort.
Old 09-14-2004, 08:33 PM   #6  

I am a huge coupon/sale shopper, and once a month I spend $350 at least. Then all the other weeks, I spend $50 - $75 weekly on veg/fruit/stuff I forgot on the big shop.
I know those poor cashiers cringe when they see me coming with a cart full and a mitt full of coupons. I try to have $30 worth of coupons for my monthly big spend!
Our bill is for 2 adults, 2 toddlers. My dh takes his lunch everyday, and I'm at home all the time, so our restaurant bills are fairly slim too.
Old 09-15-2004, 09:20 AM   #7  

At least $200 per week for 2 of us - usually more. Probably about $1000 per month.
Old 09-15-2004, 11:33 AM   #8  
A Lily from my yard!

Oh my goodness 1,000 a month. There are 4 of us (2 teenagers that are bottomless) and I usually spend about 5-600 a month. I probably spend about an extra 50 a month when I am staying totally OP.
Old 09-15-2004, 01:03 PM   #9  
Conquering with SBD

Like most6, our grocery bill has gone up since the start of SBD. We spend about $600+ per month for 5 adults and 2 boston terror critters. The kids often buy their own snacks and sometimes their own food if I don't happen to get what they want, so that is the plus amount.

We are also taking lunches more, not eating out in the evenings as much, either, so the increase in the groceries is probably more the buying of the food that we eat at home, rather than an increase because I am on SBD.
Old 09-15-2004, 01:08 PM   #10  

I thought I was the only one, this is my 2nd week on SBD and so far we have spent over $200 for 2 people, my husband is starting to become leary on staying on this diet just based on the cost. Any ideas on areas we can save in ?
Old 09-15-2004, 01:19 PM   #11  

Beans are cheap and good for you. Dried beans are even cheaper than canned although I prefer the canned. I watch for sale items on meat, chicken and seafood and cooked based on the sales. I try to limit my purchase of hummus and cheese or catch it on sale. You can also make your own hummus that would probably be cheaper.

There are startup costs involved such as Splenda and Sugar Twin Brown Sugar that are not weekly expenses. Also make sure you are not buying more produce than you can eat. I find I do shop more often in order to get the fresh produce but I shop with a list so I don't impulse purchase.

I'm not really spending any more than before when you look at the decrease in eating out.
Old 09-15-2004, 01:53 PM   #12  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Since I've moved to Colorado, in general, I've noticed my grocery expenses have gone up. When I was in California, I found produce and meat to be much cheaper. To get half decent meat in Colorado, it is way expensive and so is produce. Of course my living expenses are cheaper in Colorado so I'm not complaining

I haven't bought Splenda or any sugar substitute since I started SBD, but my big investment items have been... spices! Since I started cooking a lot, I have to say I've spent at least 100 dollars on spices, if not more. I also bought a George Foreman grill (which I use 3-4 times a week) and a crockpot (which I use once a week). I've bought a few other things like a real set of knives, a couple good bamboo cutting boards and a few other cooking related items.

I remember when I was on Jenny Craig (a few years ago) that the meals cost 80-100 a week for just the frozen food items, not to mention the fruits, veggies and dairy I had to buy, so this is cheaper than that and I've lost more weight with this
Old 09-15-2004, 03:04 PM   #13  

$300. Not good as I live in an expensive city and lose a third of salary to school loans. Darn Organic stores, I'm hooked on buying my produce and at least fresh fish from them. I try to save on other measures but I do lose money when I am crunched for time and must buy ready made products.
Old 09-15-2004, 05:39 PM   #14  
A Lily from my yard!

I also only buy meat that is on sale or marked down. I use alot of onions and mushrooms sauted as filler as well. Sometimes I throw in peppers if I have them. Also alot of times you can save in the long run by buying bulk and having your meat dept. slice it. They do this free! Hope this helps.
Old 09-15-2004, 09:54 PM   #15  
Live, Laugh, Love

Height: 5'3"

I buy my groceries and my groceries alone. When I'm on Ph1, it's $200-$250/month, but on Ph2, it's $100-$150/month. We have a Super Walmart, so that's where I get a lot of my food at.
Closed Thread