Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 09-09-2004, 01:09 PM   #1  

Unhappy Tired of being "the fat mom"

Have you ever avoided mirrors so that you don't have to look at yourself and see what you look like?! I have been doing that for some time now and I feel like I have lost myself along the way. I feel dazed and confused. I am tired of shopping in the plus size section. I am tired of being "the fat mom" - I am worried I am setting a bad example for my kids, especially my daughter. My 8 year old daughter is constantly told how much she looks like me - I heard her reply back to someone yesterday that she does not look like me because she is not fat. That was my wake up call. So here I sit in tears and wonder where do I go from here? What is the next step? I called my doctor this morning and booked a full physical for next week.
Anyone else out there in this capsizing boat?
missmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2004, 01:32 PM   #2  
Each Bite of Sugar...

Oh, yes, I am a fat mom as well. What I really want to be is the "Thin, pretty mom..."

I have a lot more than you to lose, I currently weigh around 265 on a good day. =) But, my daughter is 2.5 and I don't want her to grow up with a fat mom.

It's a moment by moment thing for me. Each bite is a decision and it is hard, but that is the way I have to do it. No more auto pilot eating for me - probably ever.

Just know you're not alone.
StorybookMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2004, 02:25 PM   #3  
Liv's Mom

Wow...I can so relate to you! I avoid looking at myself in the mirror at all costs. It is just too painful at this point in my life. I too don't want my daughter to grow up with me being overweight. I want to be out there playing with her and don't want to miss out on that. I dread the day that my daughter makes a comment such as yours did. I know that they aren't doing it to be hurtful, but man it would still hurt me so much! But you could always look at that comment as a blessing, if it gets you on the road to a healthier lifestyle. I know it is usually comments like that that give me the kick in the butt that I need. Anyway, just wanted you to know that you are definitely not alone!!! Good luck!
Liv's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2004, 03:04 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 218.8/198/135

Height: 5'4

Default Me Too, Me Too!!!!!

I am to a "fat mom". My daughter is three and I don't think she realizes what fat and skinny people are. But when she sees me naked she always runs over to me, giggles my stomach, and says "mommie I like your fat stomach". It's funny to me but also embarassing. I am very ashamed to be the way that I am. I hope by the time she starts kindergarden I will have lose weight. I don't kids teasing her because she has a fat mom. Even though I know she will love me unconditionally.

Miss McCoy
SW 208~CW 212~GW 130
e.mccoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2004, 04:18 PM   #5  

I just joined that past week and have lots and lots to lose. My motivation is to be able to keep up with my 1 year old - she just learned to walk, and I know I am in trouble!

My mom was fat when I was growing up and I remember heaing all the coments people made. I don't want that for my daughter.
todaystheday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2004, 07:10 PM   #6  
Blonde Bimbo

S/C/G: 250+/144/135

Height: 5' 4"

Now's the time. I was a fat mom all my life. I gained a little more after I had my daughter. By the time I realized I was getting fat, I was already about 30 pounds overweight. I dieted and lost the weight, but when I quit dieting, I put it back on plus more. I did this yo yo diet several times. When I exceeded 200 pounds, I decided to never diet again. I finally leveled out and was around 230 to 240 from about the time my daughter was 7 until she was 18.

Now my daughter will be 20 next month, and she weighs over 260 pounds. I am hoping beyond hope that I can have a late influence. I just got back from a week's visit on which I took one of my Walk Away The Pounds video. She was so motivated that we went to two Wal*Marts looking for a set for her and found her one. I just hope she sticks with it.
almostheaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2004, 03:07 PM   #7  
cbeehler

Wink Good for you!

I am so proud of you for calling your doctor!! A physical is a great start. make sure you ask for the right tests! Cholesterol, thyroid, adrenal function... all of it. I finally did and I found out I am Hypothyroid... still reeling from this info. I kept saying oh, I am a Mom.. I am supposed to be tired, supposed to not want sex, supposed to lose hair... I am getting older, right? Wrong! Take care of yourself for them. I have two daughters and I want to set a good example. If they see you take care of yourself they will too. Always come for support. Us women NEED each other.
Good luck. You will be fine and remember to look at the glass half full.
Christine
cbeehler is offline   Reply With Quote