Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 09-03-2004, 04:39 PM   #1  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Default Bike riding?

Does anyone ride bikes?

I am looking into buying a bike. My last experience with a bike (12 years ago or so) was kind of painful because of my ample booty. I am willing to try and see what I can do because I want to try to add something new to my exercise routine.

Anyone bike ride? Any tips for someone who hasn't done so in a looooong time?
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2004, 01:32 PM   #2  

Are you going to buy a regular outside bike, or a stationary bike?

I ride my stationary bike for 20 minutes straight, two times a day, six days a week. I like stationary bikes because you can keep up your pace without having to stop or slow down, like you would have to do if you were riding outside. Stationary bikes do get pretty boring after awhile, but it is the only thing besides walking that I am good at! My bike was on sale for like $150 at Sears last summer. Just look for sales in the paper, they have so many different kinds.
RainCloud88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2004, 03:54 PM   #3  
Just Me

I'm actually talking about a regular (mountain) bike. I wanted to try something that would take me out in the big wide world
Old 09-05-2004, 11:03 AM   #4  
Getting back on track!

Hi Nelie,
I got a mountain bike 2 weeks ago and I love it. I've just been doing between 20 minutes and an hour depending how much time I've got.
Its really good because I don't always want to go out on it but as soon as I do I have a great time. I'm lucky enough to live near nice cycle tracks so I don't really go on the roads.
My bum hurt after the first few rides but it's o.k now (I'm sure anyone reading this will be relieved to know! lol)
I really enjoy it, it relaxes me and I get lots of fresh air.

Last edited by Annie-Rose; 09-05-2004 at 11:05 AM.
Annie-Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2004, 11:50 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 256.5/256/???

Height: 5 ft 4

Hi Nelie

I ride a bike and I love it! I don't go on long rides often, but I do try and work it into my everyday activities, so that I use the bike instead of car or bus for short trips. At weekends we try to go on family bike rides all together (we have a trailer bike for our son).

The most important thing about getting a bike is getting one that's the right fit, and that is right for what you want to use it for. Best place to buy is a good local bike shop (ask cyclists you know for recommendations, not all bike shops are good), who will be able to give you advice. There's advice about bike buying at girlbike.com (and lots of other good stuff there, too).

Piece of advice from me: if you can possibly afford it, don't buy the cheapest bike there is. I did that and I regret it now (just waiting till our finances pick up to buy a decent bike).

Good luck and happy riding
clarrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2004, 12:58 PM   #6  
singletrack chick

do you plan on mountain biking or do you want a mountain bike to ride on the road? my first bit of advice is not to buy a bike at walmart or target. go to a bike shop. you can get a low end good bike for 250 bucks. my first bike cost about that much. i had grown out of it in about a year but i was really getting into some serious riding. try out different bikes. see which one fits you best. i had a specialized hard rock. it was a good bike.
laura_on_a_bike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2004, 07:58 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 193/188/120

Height: 5'2"

Like Clarrie, I've been using my bike recently for errands and shopping. Also walaking , depends on how far I have to go. I LOVE it. It makes me feel like I'm doing 'biking with a purpose'. And saving on gas and helping the environment.
chervata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2004, 10:54 PM   #8  
Ilene the Bean

Cool

Hi Nelie --

Here's my experience... Don't buy a cheap bike at WallyWorld or Target, I agree with the girls 100% there...

I have a mountain bike and I like it, BUT if you're going to get a mountain bike and not use it in rough terrain like in the mountains, don't go with the mountain type bikes, the balloon tires with all the nubs are for the traction which you would need in a rough terrain. If you're going to use your bike in town on the roads or smooth bike paths, my suggestion is to get a hybrid type bike that has medium size tires, not the skinny tires like the racer bikes but a tire inbetween the mountain bike and the racer... I know this because I never ever go in rough terrain with my mountain bike, although I love it, makes me feel like I'm dragging and is difficult to pedal even if it is a very good bike...The only cross country stuff I've ever done is go through tall grass, , and if I have it in a low gear it's very smooth..
Go to a reputable bike store and they'll know what a "hybrid" is...

I also feel very ready to upgrade to a "street" type bike or race like we use to call them... There is only one bicycle shop in town here and the cheapest street bike was $1100 ... and it was on sale... I'll wait till we go out of town to check them out at other stores... On the other hand a very good hybrid runs about $300, and that's Canadian $, so I can imagine in the States you can get an even better deal...

Ok I've rambled, time for bed...

Last edited by Lanaii1; 09-09-2004 at 10:57 PM.
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2004, 12:14 AM   #9  
Just Me

Thanks all, my initial riding plans to be on smooth paths but there are a lot of dirt bike paths near my house that aren't so smooth so once I figure how to ride without breaking my neck on the smooth paths, I was hoping to go to the real paths I actually might buy a real bike soon because there seems to be a lot of deals going on at local bike shops because of the impending winter, although I think there are plenty of days during winter here to ride.
Old 09-10-2004, 06:23 AM   #10  
Blonde Bimbo

S/C/G: 250+/144/135

Height: 5' 4"

Ok Nelie, from someone who decided to do the same thing, and bought a mountain bike. I ride to work on good weather days, as I work less than 2 miles from home.

The don'ts of bicycle riding...

Do NOT ride it right after you get home.

The do's of bicycle riding...

DO go out and buy one of those fancy smarmy extra thick gel coushin padded seats first.

almostheaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2004, 08:40 AM   #11  
singletrack chick

Quote:
Originally Posted by nelie
I actually might buy a real bike soon because there seems to be a lot of deals going on at local bike shops because of the impending winter, although I think there are plenty of days during winter here to ride.

now is a great time to get a bike. they are moving all the 04's out to get ready for the 05's ( i personally can't wait, like i need more bikes.) i got my first bike in october about 3 years ago and it was marked down almost 200 dollars and it was a cheap bike in the first place. it was about half off. good luck in your bike shopping. i always get excited when someone is getting a new bike.
laura_on_a_bike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2004, 01:44 PM   #12  
Ilene the Bean

Nelie - I forgot to mention about the gel seats that they now have special seats for men and women and you can ride for much longer periods of time with these seats because they are so comfy...IMO it would be a very good idea to get one and not a waste of money at all...

Last edited by Lanaii1; 09-10-2004 at 01:48 PM.
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2004, 08:06 PM   #13  
Blonde Bimbo

S/C/G: 250+/144/135

Height: 5' 4"

Lanaii, I didn't think about a gel seat when I got my bike. And I decided to test the ride to work as soon as I got it home. I walked funny for two days, but I went right back out and bought the seat.
almostheaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2004, 03:17 PM   #14  
live the process

S/C/G: 225/ticker/201/125-130

Height: 5'3"

Hi,total newbie here,may I join in please? To date the only thread I'm familiar with hold on buttons etc..haha I'm needing to get back to using my stationary recumbent on icky weather days and regular bike on good days. The gel seat sounds great. The support of this site looks great.
2mchme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2004, 04:41 PM   #15  

Gel seats are nice, but if you get really serious about riding you will probably want to buy a pair or two of real bicycle shorts, which have padding in the seat. The combo of that padding AND a padded seat is just too much, imho. If you are shy about wearing lycra, you can just put a pair of regular shorts on over the bike ones but believe me, you will be MUCH more comfy with the bike shorts against your skin.
magic1 is offline   Reply With Quote