Old 09-07-2004, 03:43 PM   #1  
Thin Within

Arrow Steel Magnolias #35

GOOD MORNING MAGNOLIAS

We picked up my glass village from the fair grounds and I had made a "sweep" for I did get the First Place People Choice ribbon to add to the First Place and Best of Show. YIPEKIO I am a happy camper. Not much else going on ~ time to go make some sort of a lunch.

Type at you later.
Maggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2004, 10:38 PM   #2  

Good Evening, Flowers!
I'm late checking in because a friend that I don't see very often called tonight and we were on the phone for almost 2 hours! I'm glad it was her nickel!

Today seemed like Monday at school and I felt like I was behind all day. The weather has cooled down so that is nice! It's supposed to be cool for the rest of the week.

I did go to WW tonight and lost .4#. Guess that is better than a gain but I was hoping for a whole pound!

Maggie -- I know you must be so proud of your fair ribbons! CONGRATULATIONS!!

I need to go over some math problems for tomorrow so I need to get moving. I hope you all have a wonderful Wednesday tomorrow!

Jean -- from Iowa!
Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2004, 04:40 AM   #3  

CONGRATULATIONS, Maggie! How cool is that. You should be very proud of yourself.

Jean: It was really windy here yesterday and made walking not so bad though it takes time to get in the groove again since I haven't done much since May. Congrat on the loss. Anything is better than nothing.

I talked to dil yesterday and looks like maybe the first of the year they may have baby news for us. I guess my son really wants to have a baby even to the point they bought her a new car for it, but they are going to Ireland in January so she wants to wait until they get back. Who's to say what he will look like. My dd is blond and sil is black haired and my dgs is a full on beautiful redhead. My son is blond and my dil is dark (half hispanic) so the baby will probably be something crazy too! We don't follow genetic norms. My husband has really dark hair and I, under the hair color am a blonde and BOTH kids were very light blondes. My eyes are blue and Jack's dark brown and my ds has green eyes and dd has hazel. Who cares? I just can't wait for another grandbaby.

You ladies have a great day today.

Faye
gma22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2004, 09:48 PM   #4  

Good Evening, Flowers!
It's "hump" day and I feel like I've put in a full week already. Sometimes I think a short work week seems like it is an extra day longer for some reason. There is a bug of some sort going around school. One of the teachers went home yesterday afternoon and another went home this morning shortly after school started. Several students have left during the last couple of days. I hope it doesn't find me because I don't have the time!

MIL is on her way to AZ and somewhere between Denver and Tucson right now. DH used my car to take her to the airport and I had to drive the pickup to school. I went early so I had plenty of room to park it! It seems so big compared to my car and I'm not sure where the right fender is nor the how far back it goes.

"Gma" -- A new baby in the family is always a blessing. I hope all goes well for your son and dil. Both DH and I have/had dark hair and hazel eyes while both kids were blonde and blue eyes. His two brothers each have two boys: a blonde, blue eyed one, and a dark hair, brown eyed one. We were talking about blood type this weekend: DH is A-, I am B+, and both kids ae O+. Beth wanted to know if she belonged to the mailman! I did ask the biology teacher; I had forgotten that everyone has either A or B plus O, the A and B being dominant.

Not much is newsy from my corner of the world but I wanted to check in and say "hello." I hope you all have a good day tomorrow!

Jean -- from Iowa!
Old 09-09-2004, 03:15 AM   #5  
Thin Within

Arrow Humpday Night

GOOD NIGHT MAGNOLIAS

We have had a busy day running errands and I am just now getting ready to go to bed. Tomorrow is weigh day and I am not looking forward to it because I didn't track all week. I used to write every thing down and so what happened to this week. Gone ~ the week is gone.

JEAN you are aware that babies do get switched at birth in hospitals sometimes. Not on purpose but by accident. What a thought! Ever thought of checking your DNA and the kids? Not that it would matter since you raised them as your own though would it. Guess it could be that your folks had O+ and they got it from them ~ any way they got it from somewhere besides you and your husband. Remember Cindy? She is having her second baby ~ a girl the frist part of October.

FAYE that is nice that they are planning to have a baby. I'm with you ~ who cares who the baby takes after just so it is nice and healthy. Getting back into the groove ~ You go girl! Walking will be easier when the weather cools down a tad.

Sleep well ~ guess you all are aready cutting zzzz's. Such a time difference.
Old 09-09-2004, 05:30 PM   #6  

Good Afternoon, Flowers!
This has been the longest day for some reason. I had a hard time rolling out of bed this morning probably because I was up too late last night. I tend to start puttering when the news comes on and then time slips away from me. A bad habit to get into!

It's been a nice day but the sprinkles started and then quit on my way home from school. We could use a nice rain shower.

MIL called last night and had arrived safely in AZ. I always get a little nervous when members of my family are "flying" around.

Maggie -- According to the biology teacher, everyone has an "A" or "B" gene and an "O" gene. A and B are dominant but our kids got the recessive gene for blood type. I'm not sure how the negative and positive parts work. Beth was the only baby girl born that day so I'm sure she is ours. We were in shock because we were expecting a boy since there were already 5 grandsons on Bob's side of the family. Bob even asked the doctor to double check! Jason looked just like Bob as a baby so I'm pretty sure he belongs to us too. I do remember Cindy! Her first child was born right around the same time as our grandson Ian . . . almost 2 years ago. She has a boy, right? You will get your focus back after your weigh in! You know what to do and you can do it, I know you can!

I hope you all have had a good day and enjoy your evening. Tomorrow is Friday and I will be doing a happy dance at 3:27!

Jean -- in Iowa!
Old 09-10-2004, 05:34 PM   #7  
Thin Within

Arrow FRIDAY it's Friday

GOOD AFTERNOON MAGNOLIAS

It is 91 degrees with 15% humidity. So that makes the heat index to 86. It is cooling down somewhat getting ready for a season change. I love Autumn. Come on Fall. I have in the crock-pot, stew. Yeppers it is a WW recipe and it sure isn't much different than what I make anyway but this has the points value and I won't have to figure it since I measured things. Usually I just dump what I want in what ever amounts ~ but that is veggies so it really wouldn't matter. Anyway this will be ready at 5 pm. Cowboy won't be home till around 10 pm for he is on his Friday evening ride along with one of the Sheriff's. They love having him along since they are short handed and ride one to a vehicle.

I am going to give my crafts room a cleaning. I am bummed! My printer took a dump and is giving me an error message that there is a paper jam and there is not a paper jam. Since it won't do anything as long as it has a paper jam it is stuck! It just thinks it has a paper jam. Ordered a new one that will be in on Monday morning. Guess these things don't last long but it is almost a couple years old now. Good thing I didn't install the new ink cartridges the other day ~ if they don't fit the new one I can trade them in for ones that will work. They are spendy little rascals and I have a black and a colored one on hand. What's funny when we were getting a small printer to use with the lap top we had some ink cartridges to turn in and with them and 7 dollars we got a new printer. When I get a new lap-top I'll get a small printer to go with it but that is later on in the year. Later on is almost here.

JEAN staying up late has a lot to do with how a person is the next day unless they do get their required amount in. I stay up late and get up late and usually get 7 - 8 hours sleep. They say O positive is the universal blood type for it can be used on other folks as transfusins where the A's & B's can't. And some negatives have to have negatives. I think that is how it goes. I am just glad I don't have a rare type bood. But I can't donate because I take BP meds. That is good news that your MIL made it to AZ fine. It is load off your mind when you get the news isn't it. RAIN you have rain? I want rain! It hasn't rained here since April the 14th. February is our traditional rain month.

Have a good evening Flowers.
Old 09-10-2004, 06:29 PM   #8  

Good Afternoon, Flowers!
The weekend has begun in Iowa! It didn't get as hot as predicted today and I'm glad. Sitting in a hot building with sticky, stinky kids is NOT fun! It is clouding over so maybe the rain will get here yet.

Not much planned except the usual laundry and fur vacuuming tomorrow.

Maggie -- I take BP meds and still donated blood. The nurse looked up each drug that I take and said she will have to do it every time I donate. Now I'm also taking Fosomax so maybe next time I won't be able to donate. We never did get a serious rain yesterday and we need it. Sorry to hear about your printer; that is a bummer for sure. Your stew sounds good! I did get a WW magazine and read your cheesecake comment. It's nice to be able to say I knew someone who wrote a letter to the editor!

It's time to think about something for supper so I'd better get moving. Have a nice weekend, Flowers!

Jean -- in Iowa!
Old 09-11-2004, 03:04 AM   #9  

Hey ladies. As usual, I am not sleeping so thought now would be a good time to post to you all. I seem to be slipping a lot lately.

Jean: I too take BP meds and didn't think I could donate blood. May have to check into that. I only take 20mg of Altace and 25mg of a duiretic with a name about 20 inches long. I am not needle shy so I would donate all the time if I could. I have A- which is a little less common than some of the others so they are always happy to see me! lol

Maggie: I have a lady on my thread that told us about this great cookbook called "Fix it and Forget it Lightly." It is for the crockpot and she says it has really good lowerfat etc meals and they are very tasty.

My woes with my darn car are still not over. They were supposed to have it ready yesterday but the part didn't fit and they had to order directly from Ford for the part so it is not done, which means more money out of our pocket for more rental time. I think that we should just buy scooters!

Well, I think I am going to go back to bed and try to sleep. If all else fails I will go downstairs and read, which will make me sleepy immediately and just stay in the recliner and sleep!

Oh, btw, 10 lbs down for me this week. I don't know why I go off program because I lose when I stay on it.

Faye
Old 09-11-2004, 11:29 AM   #10  

Good Morning, Flowers!
It looks like it is going to be a beautiful day in my neighborhood . . . the sun is shining brightly and not a cloud in the sky. The temperature is 72 degrees and the humidity is low. I couldn't have ordered a more perfect day if I had tried.

The washer is humming away and DH just left to deliver my salad to the church. It is for a fund raising luncheon this noon; different ladies have decorated their tables with different themes and sold tickets to their friends outside of the church family. I have no idea how many tickets have been sold but they finally did open it up to the congregation.

"Gma" -- My grandma had a neighbor who would get up and bake cookies in the middle of the night when she couldn't sleep. I would be wider than I am high! I rarely wake up during the night but sometimes have trouble going to sleep, especially if I've snoozed in front of the TV during the evening. I hate it when my sleep schedule is "off" on a school night. . .during the summer I don't much care. I'm sorry that your car is still not fixed -- did you check with your insurance to see if they will pay car rental expenses? Many years ago, a very long story but in short form, we rented a car at an AZ airport and it was totaled in an accident. We weren't driving it but since we had rented it, we were responsible. After the fact we found out that our credit card company would have paid the daily rental charge while it was being repaired! But we were in IA and the car in AZ -- DH says we should have bought it for salvage as it would have been alot cheaper in the long run. Live and learn, that's for sure!

I need to put another load of laundry in so had better keep moving. I hope each of you has an enjoyable day! I'm thinking of each one of you and wondering what your plans are for today . . . take some time for yourself because you are special too!

Jean -- in Iowa!
Old 09-12-2004, 06:34 AM   #11  

Morning ladies.

Jean: On the day of the accident, I checked our policy and found we didn't have rental insurance so before we called the agent, I applied online and paid for it, but though it was dated the same day, they of course would not pay for the car rental because they said it was added after the accident, which is a technicality but true. I now have rental insurance though I hope it isn't needed. Yikes, bake cookies! Since dh would be asleep and not eating any I would be like you munching munching as I baked! I think I will stick to keeping my hands busy in other ways!

Maggie: I found that cookbook at Barnes and Noble yesterday and it has some delicious sounding recipes. It even has desserts to try and includes all the "specs" on cal and such for each recipe so you can do WW conversion on your little program. I am anxious to try it.

Dh and I are going to lunch without the gs on Thur. I think she is finally coming around to the fact her mother is not an old BAT! I am actually looking forward to it. We are going to this new "wrap" restaurant. Hopefully they will have like turkey or something that is lowfat. The best wrap I ever had was several years ago on a flight either from here to Indiana or Indiana to here on Northwest. I have tried to recreate it but never could. I was a turkey wrap and absolutely delicious.

Well, want to get some downstairs chores done so I can get out around 7 and get a walk in.

Faye
Old 09-12-2004, 12:58 PM   #12  

Good Morning, Flowers!
It is another beautiful day in my neighborhood. I actually slept in until 7:30 this morning which is rare for me. I remembered to turn the TV timer "off" last night so it didn't come on at 6 AM like it usually does during the week. Now that it is darker later, the cats even sleep later.

"Gma" -- I love cookies and can eat fresh baked ones until I'd be sick! I don't bake anything unless I know that the kids are coming or I have some place to take them. Enjoy your lunch date with your daughter! Will T know that he is missing out? I ordered my first "wrap" a few weeks ago and it was so big I ended up bringing half of it home. It was mainly chicken and veggies but whatever the sauce was, it was too sloppy to pick up and eat so I ended up cutting it and eating it with a fork. It was good though.

Since I've done nothing except read the papers and fix the coffee this morning, I need to get busy! Enjoy your day today!

Jean -- in Iowa!
Old 09-13-2004, 10:05 AM   #13  

Morning flowers!

Got up with dh and got a walk and weight lifting in first thing so my exercise is done for the day! It looks like rain today and it is horribly humid so I wanted to get out before it gets too hot.

I swear I am going to scream if that car is not ready today. Because we extended our rental, they of course totally take you for a ride money wise. We can't afford $50 a day for a stupid car rental!

Not going on much here today. If the hurricane turns like it is expecting to, I guess we will get a bunch of rain from it, but we can use it as we haven't had much rain this year. We have a problem with flooding though so we can't get pounded, which is what it looks like would possibly happen.

One of dh's and I favorite new shows starts it season tonight, Las Vegas. Most of the new and returning shows don't start until the week of the 20th. I have been watching that new cop show Hawaii and it isn't too bad. Jack says that Father of the Pride cartoon is pretty filthy and it isn't on late, which I find kind of disturbing because stupid parents are going to let their kids watch it not knowing it is what they call an adult cartoon. Same way they let kids watch the Simpsons and what not.

Well, better get going

have a good day

Faye
Old 09-13-2004, 05:51 PM   #14  

Good Afternoon Flowers!
It's very windy, hot, humid, and miserable here today. Did we get out of school early . . . he** no! I should have turned the air on this morning but it hasn't been too bad since it cools down at night. I did come home and turned the air on even though it is supposed to cool off tonight. I stick to everything I touch and just feel icky. I may just go take a shower!

"Gma" -- You are lucky to be able to do your exercise early and get it over with. Most often I'm just not in the mood when I get home from school and once we finish eating, we seem to settle in for the evening. That's a bad habit to get into but with it getting darker earlier, it just seems like we tend to stay inside. We could use some rain also but not the hurricane type. I hope you have your car back by the time you read this!

Not much newsy going on in my corner of the world.

I hope you all have a good "rest of the day" and a terrific Tuesday tomorrow!

Jean -- from Iowa!
Old 09-14-2004, 08:15 AM   #15  

Good morning ladies!

Well, guess whose car won't be finished until probably Thur? It is not their fault but the insurance companie's. For a couple reasons; one is the parts and the other the paint. Our car is considered luxury so cheap parts won't fit (though the insurance company made them try the cheap ones first) and they had to get them factory direct like I said, then the insurance company insisted they paint with an inferior paint and it doesn't match. The general manager has taken this over himself and showed it to us last night. Jack got mad and lost his temper and the guy is now paying our rental car so they can have as long as they need and I told him so. I told him I appreciate he won't let the car go until it is perfect (the car has to be painted from the bumper clear back past the doors to match and blend the paint) but we only have one vehicle and can't afford to keep up a rental. He was very nice even when Jack profusely appologized for losing his temper.

Hope all is well with you ladies today. I am stiff but it is a combo of the weather and weight lifting so I hope it goes away sooner or later. I need to run and get out and walk before it is too hot. I took out the trash at 5 am and it is really humid already.

Faye