General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Closed Thread

Old 06-09-2001, 07:45 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 245/245/130

Height: 5'2"

Question Apple Cider Vinegar???

Has anybody been taking or heard about taking apple cider vinegar?

I have a health nut in my office that told me I should take Bragg's Apple Cider Vinegar (not the kind in the grocery store because it doesnt have "mother" in it). She said it helps your body process fat that has been stored in your body.... along with lots of other things.....

I know my grandmother swore by her apple cider vinegar and honey in water every morning for her arthritus. I also know she was skinny......

I have gone out on the web and looked around and it does seem to be the miracle solution.... it helps clear the blood of toxins, it helps with upset stomach, it gives you energy.... etc.etc.etc

Anyone used this.... I cant see it hurting at all... and it is only $4.50 for a big bottle of the Bragg's apple cider vinegar at the health food store.... so..... let me know if you have used it or are using it...
Old 06-09-2001, 10:47 AM   #2  
Uber-Moderator!!

Post Okay, here's the FACTS.

I know the Bragg's website lauds apple cider vinegar as an effective way to lose weight. But remember - they're BIASED. When someone is promoting a product and stands to gain, you need to take their advice with a giant grain of salt and a healthy dose of skepicism.

Here's a recent Q&A from webmd.com - the link is
http://my.webmd.com/content/article/1671.52150

Quote:
Vinegar and Weight Loss: The Sour Truth

A few vinegar pills probably won't hurt you or your baby, but they won't do one bit of good in helping you lose weight either. By Elizabeth Somer , MA,RD

Question:
I had a baby 6 months ago and would like to lose some weight. I know that if you're nursing, you're not supposed to diet. I have been eating healthy foods high in nutrients, and I have lost a little weight. Would it be harmful to the baby if I started taking apple cider vinegar pills to help with weight loss?

Answer:
March 12, 2001 -- A few vinegar pills probably won't hurt you or your baby, but they won't do one bit of good in helping you lose weight either. This old diet fad dates back to the 1970s, when a combination of apple cider, kelp, vitamin B-6, and lecithin was touted as the miracle cure for weight loss. The rationale for this concoction was that it tricked your body's metabolism. According to the claims, lecithin emulsified body fat, B-6 metabolized the loosened fat, kelp supplied iodine to stimulate the thyroid gland to manufacture more thyroxin to speed metabolism, and vinegar supplied potassium. Like salad dressings where oil and vinegar don't mix, this was supposed to help rid the body of fat.

There is no scientific basis, or even rational reason, for any of these claims. For example, a teaspoon of vinegar contains only five milligrams of potassium, a meager amount compared to the 400 milligrams in a cup of grapefruit juice. Swallowing more iodine will jump start a thyroid gland only if you are deficient in this mineral (you'll know if you are iodine-deprived because you will have developed a goiter, or an enlargement of the thyroid gland). When people lost weight on this regimen it was because they also followed the accompanying low-calorie diet. Like all the other diet fads, from starch blockers and collagen products to herbal diet teas and hydroxycitric acid (HCA), the vinegar pills fit most or all the criteria of a useless gimmick:

They promise to melt away fat.
They promise fast and effortless weight loss.
They promise weight loss greater than one to two pounds a week.
They focus on one or a few foods and limit or exclude whole food groups.
They are based on pills or "secret formulas."

Save your money and follow the advice of thousands of people who have not just lost weight, but maintained the weight loss. Consume daily a wide variety of nutrient-packed vegetables, fruits, whole grains, extra-lean meats and beans, and nonfat milk or yogurt. Watch your portions, and, most importantly, exercise each day. You also are right about not dieting while breastfeeding. It took nine months to gain the weight during your pregnancy. Plan to begin your weight-loss plan after you've stopped breastfeeding, and give yourself at least nine months after that to regain your figure.
I really hate to be such a wet blanket, because so many people on the forums seem to be asking 'does such-and-such a product work?" "I heard about this - does it really work?" Trust me - if any of those diet cure-alls REALLY worked, don't you think it would be front-page news on the New York Times? After all, the majority of Americans now are either overweight or obese. A pill that REALLY worked, I mean REALLY worked to take off those pounds - and do it safely and permanently - would be front page news across the country (akin to finding a cure for AIDS or cancer).

The closest thing we have to that right now are Meridia and Xenical. They have only been on the market for a few years, but the thing I like about them is the way the manufacturers are marketing them - no claims of miracles - and accompanied by a really healthy diet and exercise program (the Meridia "Point of Change" program seems especially well balanced and sensible).

By the way, on that webmd page there was a link to an excellent article titled "The Facts on Diet Fads" http://my.webmd.com/content/article/1671.50474

It's definitely worth a look in my opinion!

Last edited by MrsJim; 06-09-2001 at 10:50 AM.
Old 06-11-2001, 07:11 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 245/245/130

Height: 5'2"

Default Been Taking It For A weekened and...

I started taking this on friday and I dont have a clue about the weight lose aspect although I could see where it may help there because my appetite has been way way down....but my energy has been out of this world..... I pressured washed my entire driveway and front porch and walkway (about 15 hours total).... edged my yard.... cleaned my house... walked my dogs 1 1/2 miles 4 times this weekend... and stained a bench.... unreal....

I am someone that would normally get only the house cleaned and walk the dogs once a day... and need a nap....

I have slept well also.... I have gone to bed about 11:00 both nights (which I normally go to bed at 10:00) and I woke up at 6:00 without an alarm clock (which is normally 8:00)...

I felt very alert.

I didnt really start taking this for weight lose although I have read that it does... who knows... if it does YEAH!!!! More than anything I wanted it for energy... I am tired of feeling tired....

As for the type of APple Cider Vinegar... I am on Bragg's but the only reason my girlfriend recommended this brand was because it was readily available... her main thing was that you get it at the health food store and make sure that is has "mother" in it (filmy type of stuff that settles at the bottom of the bottle)....

I needed energy.... and am really afraid to take the Metawhatever type of pills because from what I can see you end up having to take them forever.... had 4 friends lose a lot of weight on them but when they came off they felt very draggy and also started gaining the weight back...

As for how I take it... I am taking it with (1) cup of dark grape juice (antioxidants and good for your heart - like drinking a glass of red wine that is always touted), (2) tsp of RAW honey (again from the health food store - good for b vitamins, etc) (2) tsp apple cider vinegar, and a squeeze of lemon juice.... it tastes pretty good, has a little bite... but the health food store apple cider vinegar doesnt stink as bad as the grocery store type.

Another girl at my office also started taking it this weekend so I will let you know how she feels...
Closed Thread