Old 09-02-2004, 11:42 AM   #1  
Losin' it forever!

Default What do you do when....

I really like hearing other people's suggestions, so hope you don't mind the questions!

What do you do when you have one of those what I call "hungry days". Normally my appetite is normal or even a little below normal, and then comes a day, generally during that time of the month, when I am just HUNGRY all day! Granted, it may all be in my head, but it drives me crazy. I'll have just eaten and still am craving something else!

Anyone else ever get these and how do you handle it?
LakeGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2004, 11:55 AM   #2  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

I've had a few of these and generally I fill up on my normal healthy foods. I'll eat a lot of veggies and lean meats and I definitely won't miss my treats those days! Also, be sure to drink your water as well because that'll help fill you up.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2004, 12:13 PM   #3  
I climb mountains!

S/C/G: 284/208/145

I agree with Nelie. In anticipation of that, I'll buy extra apples and baby carrots, and make sure I have those as well as prepared brown rice and chicken breasts ready for the munching marathon! The chicken and brown rice I'll mix together -- like 3/4 cup brown rice and 4-5 oz. chicken breast for a serving -- and it's very, very satisfying. The carrots and apples I'll set up as "free foods;" they work because they satisfy the need to chew, and they require a little bit of work to eat a large quantity. I really make a point of drinking GOBS of water. To satisfy my chocolate jones, I'll have a couple of my chocolate "Designer Whey" protein powder -- it really is quite tasty, it has a nice consistency, and it's guilt free! I also make a point of having an absolutely IMMENSE salad -- I am miserable if I don't eat salad every day -- chock full of lots and lots of veggies, and I'll also throw in garbanzo beans to make it extra filling, and I make myself eat the whole damned thing. I also don't skimp on the olive oil in the dressing -- I don't go off but I don't try to keep it as skinny as possible -- I find that a little extra healthy fat satisfies me more during that time. It is a REALLLY BIG salad. Then I'm so full I don't really have room for crap. (Although I'll usually shove down a Smart Ones Chocolate Mousse popsicle anyway just because I'm out of my mind and feeling like some kind of deprived princess ....40 cal's and 1.5g fat....no biggie.)

Good luck! Just keep telling yourself it will pass, and it's just not even worth it to throw away your efforts once a month; it's just going to come back and then you've set a precedent... Right?

Last edited by lessofsarahtolove; 09-02-2004 at 12:17 PM. Reason: Forgot the fat!
lessofsarahtolove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2004, 01:27 PM   #4  
Born Loser

S/C/G: 490/See Tracker/245

I don't normally have days where I am just hungry all the time. I do have times where I am really craving my comfort foods. So I will have pizza on occasion or a cheeseburger. I don't think it is good to totally deprive ourselves of the food we enjoy. I do have rules though. I have learned to know if I'm strong enough to stop at a fast food place and be good. So if I feel like a binge and know I can't handle it then I will deny myself that food until I can control the portions.
howie6267 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2004, 02:52 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 344/279.1/???

Height: 5'6"

I get those 2 every now and then and not just that time of the month either. What I've noticed though is if I've had a couple of days of skimpier calories then I'll have a hungrier day so I just try to eat a little more on that day without going overboard and go back to eating normal the rest of the time.

For me I've learned that if I don't try and eat something when I'm feeling like this, I'll go overboard a couple of days later anyway and it's usually not healthy at that point.
barbygirl43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2004, 05:38 PM   #6  

I tend to fill up on low-fat protein (chicken, fish, eggs), veggies, salad and fruit. And drink water. Basically, if you're hungry, I say eat - but eat healthy! I also find that high glycaemic index carbs tend to make me even more hungry......so I avoid those like the plague!
artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2004, 08:10 PM   #7  
I climb mountains!

S/C/G: 284/208/145

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by artist
I tend to fill up on low-fat protein (chicken, fish, eggs), veggies, salad and fruit. And drink water. Basically, if you're hungry, I say eat - but eat healthy! I also find that high glycaemic index carbs tend to make me even more hungry......so I avoid those like the plague!
I completely agree, Claire. I just really try to view food as fuel, and if I fill up my tank with healthy stuff that I enjoy rather than unhealthy stuff that I enjoy, I'll feel a lot happier in the long run.......and my body will thank me for it.

THis is not to say that I have never, ever had anything unhealthy during my life on plan (since March) -- but they are pretty few and far between, and I try to pick them wisely. I also really try to apply the same principles that Howie spoke of, in terms of waiting till I'm not jonesing, and then limiting my portions.

I'm working on changing the roles of food and exercise in my life -- I used to be healthy, long ago, and I'm working to get back to that life. Showing myself that I can make the right decisions goes along with that. And one time when that's HARDER for me is when am PMS and period girl........she is capable of making crazy, crazy decisions that seem perfectly logical and justified at the time. So this is just NOT the time for me to indulge in special treats that are unhealthy.

Just speaking for little old -- well shrinking old -- me!

Last edited by lessofsarahtolove; 09-02-2004 at 08:12 PM.
lessofsarahtolove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2004, 10:19 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 247/177.5/130

Height: 5'3"

When I am hungry I first drink a huge glass of water, chew a piece of gum then go exercise.. Works like a charm every time. But when I can't beat it, I'll go for some frozen fruit with a sprinkle or two of splenda. I try and plan for a higher calorie day and that also helps to eliminate cravings or being extra hungry.. All the above posters have great ideas!! They are some pretty smart people!
tolose85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2004, 06:15 PM   #9  

Hmmm. This is making me think......actually, when I'm really hungry I find it easy to make healthy choices - helped by the fact that there is always plenty of healthy food in the house, and when I'm out and about, if I don't have healthy snacks on me, I know where to go to find them! My difficult off-plan moments are usually when I feel like eating for emotional reasons - and actually, that's rarely a huge crisis, its either boredom and/or feeling lonely that make me want to eat.

Well, thanks guys for helping me figure that one out! Not sure what I'm gonna do about it, but its good to figure these things out....
artist is offline   Reply With Quote