Old 08-29-2004, 09:41 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 320/239/150

Height: 5'8"

Default Susan Powter - anyone else out there like her stuff?

Hi all - I'm new to this forum, and found it while looking for information or forums relating to Susan Powter's plans and exercise programs. Her official site is currently under re-construction, so no forums there.

I thought it might be fun to just post and ask if there's anyone else out there who finds Powter's books and plan fun and effective?

Let me give you a little biography:

I'm currently 38, married 18 years, have one daughter that we just took to her first year of college yesterday, recenly relocated to Florida's panhandle, and are working on our own art business (doing shows, etc).

I'm an "oldie" to Susan Powter's weight loss, but I dropped out many years ago when I was young and gullible - for STUPID reasons. See, I lost, back then, over 60 pounds just by reading and implementing her book "Stop the Insanity" with the food and exercise tips. I was nearly to my goal weight! But, I had someone tell me that I shouldn't be following her plan, because she wasn't a religious person. The "friend" literally GUILTED me into stopping - can't blame her if I was that weak, though (I was very young, and thought she must be much smarter than me - and I didn't want to make God mad - I'd also been raised to believe that God was some mean guy up there waiting to swat me like a bug if I screwed up). Anyway, I stopped following her plan, and when I stopped, I gained it all back - and more - until I weighed 320 pounds.

Since then, I've tried Atkins, South Beach Diet, Protein Power, Carb Addicts, Weight Watchers, Slimfast, diet pills, extreme exercise, fasting...you name it, I've tried it. And I would always lose a few pounds of water weight, but then stall - no matter how faithful I was to the plan. Then, awhile back, I was griping about it and my husband, after reassuring me that he loved me exactly as I am (smart boy *grin*) said, "You know, years ago you lost a bunch of weight. What diet plan was that?"

It threw me for a loop - of COURSE! It was Susan Powter's plan and encouragement that helped me lose that weight before - and I remembered why I had quit. I'm a heckuva lot stronger-willed than I was when I was young, and ain't nobody gonna tell me that I shouldn't follow a weight loss plan simply because the person who prescribes it is non-religious, or insane, or whatever...who cares?!? But, as I said, I'm older and wiser, and no longer go for that "mean, kick you when you're down God" kind of stuff.

Frankly, I was insane to stop following the guidelines in "Stop the Insanity," since they were the only ones that worked for me - ever! So, I'm stopping the insanity again and starting to live by those guidelines. I'm getting the old book (and maybe the new - she makes me laugh), and I'm getting back to what works. BTW, I'm starting at 268 lbs. I did manage to lose a little with all the yo-yo diets.

Does anyone else out there follow Susan Powter's guidelines, and want discussion or support regarding it?

Kristen
puhlease1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2004, 11:22 PM   #2  

Hi, Kristen...I am new to this forum, too...and it's funny that you should post about Susan Powter...I was just wondering about her the other day...I remember seeing her informercials late at night on tv years ago, and I lost weight with her, too...And, I fell 'off the wagon' like you did and regained alot of the weight...
Anyway, to make a long story short, I have been trying to find a weight loss program that works for me, too..I have tried just about everything, and then ol' Susan came to mind...
So, now I need to find her book and check out her website...maybe you and I can support each other and lose together? I really need to do something..
Judy
aladybug11 is offline   Reply With Quote