South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 08-28-2004, 07:27 AM   #1  
I vant to draw your blood

Default Weekend Chick Chat on the Beach 08/28 & 29

Good morning, Chickies~~

I was MIA yesterday for the usual reason...had to get something written for critique. It's been just a hideous week at work and there was no time to write. Managed 7 pages between Thursday night and Friday am, though.

Thursday, my boss called me at lunch time to tell me she'd walked off the job. She said she'd tried and tried to make things work, but no dice, so she just bolted. This gal was without a doubt the BEST boss I've EVER had and I'm devastated by it.

Then, as if that weren't bad enough, yesterday I had my first run in with the lab manager, who I understand will be my NEW boss. This chick has "Little Woman" syndrome. Because she's vertically challenged she thinks she has to be a ***** to get her point across and for people to respect her. Yesterday I called the lab to request some occult blood cards (the poo cards that can tell if you've got a bleeding ulcer) Since I draw for our lab as well as the "big" national lab, I use two different brands. R--- calls me up says "IF I send you some of our cards, will you be able to tell the difference?" Well DUH, I've only been doing this for a year and a half!! So I said, "Well, R---, I've been here a while, so yeah, I think I can handle it." This was said with complete sincerity, albeit with a little bit of incredulousness at her snottiness.

"Well, there's no reason for sarcasm! I just need to know if you can tell the difference between the two brands".

"Yes, R---, ours is RED and the other is WHITE. I can tell the difference." I sure hope this isn't a preview of coming attractions. I love my job and would really hate to jump ship because of her.

And stupid me, I let it get to me and when I got home, I seized the first crunchy thing I could find...shrimp chips...and didn't stop til the bag was gone. Thank God it was a small bag!

Okay, now that I've made everyone so very happy this morning, I'll just mosey on out of here for a while.

Hope you all have a great weekend!

Mamacita
Old 08-28-2004, 09:05 AM   #2  
Live, Laugh, Love

Height: 5'3"

Got sent home from work yesterday.....was dizzy all day long. Feeling a bit better today, except for a headache. Must be coming down with something.

Not much going on here, so I'll just hop in the shower and get ready for work.

Sorry to hear about your old boss/new boss situation. That sucks. I had a boss like that when I worked in lab, too, and she was 90% of the reason I went to part-time and work cytopathology now.

Talk to you all soon.
Old 08-28-2004, 09:11 AM   #3  

Mama - it sounds like you have a really tough situation at work. I'll keep my fingers crossed that she mellows as she gets to know you better. I know when work has been stressful for me it does help to talk about it so feel free!

It is raining here so no morning walk for me. I have a free pass to Lifetime fitness that I plan to try later. I wish I could afford their membership but I think I will have to go with renewing my Bally membership that had elapsed. It is much cheaper!
Old 08-28-2004, 09:24 AM   #4  

Morning everyone!

Mama -- sorry to hear about your boss, hopefully she'll mellow quickly or they'll assign someone else that is completely likeable!

Weezle -- Hope you feel better soon!

Barb -- We had rain for 4 days straight so I sympathize.

As for me, I don't have a headache so far today which is good but I made sure my migraine meds are in my purse in case it comes back while I'm at work. I have OP food set for lunch and think I'm going to try the mock french toast for breakie. I must say that I find it really helpful that every recipe off the boards has been great. Well, except the PB Cup but that may be because I nuked the fudgicle too long.

Hope everyone has a great day!

Kristin
Old 08-28-2004, 09:46 AM   #5  
Bikini Babe Wannabe

Happy Saturday chickies!

It is a beautiful sunny day here in No VA. I can't wait to get out and get a nice long walk in. We'll be in the car alot today looking at houses and neighborboods etc. but hope to gett out and enjoy at least part of the day.

It's been a realy good 4 days op. Last night I treated myself to real pizza and thouroughly enjoyed every morsel of it. Of course I had a salad too, but the pesto, red onion and chicken was highlight of the meal. They don't offer ww crust, so I asked for it to be thin and didn't eat all the extra crust you sometimes get. I only enjoyed the toppings that were on the thin crust. What a treat it was.

I guess I will get some breakfast and jump on the shower. By the time I am done with that I can change out the laundry and do 3 more loads.

Mamacita-I can completely relate to having a boss like that. Fortunately, the boss who was soooo nasty left and now have a great one that lets me be. I will keep my fingers crossed that things will look up for you at work!

Weezle and KristinJ-I hope you both can stay healthy today adn not have to stay home sick.

Barb-I am impressed you even belong to a gym. Your my hero! So not my thing. I would rather get out and walk 50 miles than go to the gym. I would need to get over being around so many hardbodies.

Everyone to come....Have a fabulous day on the beach!

Sheila
Old 08-28-2004, 09:59 AM   #6  

The gym comes in handy when we have a lot of 100 degree days. Often it will still be very hot after dark. Also, while I do live close to hike/bike paths now, there was a time when I didn't. This area is very dangerous for bikers. I have two good friends who were in serious accidents when they were hit by cars when riding on the streets.

Many of the people who go to the gym are just like us. Sure, there are some hardbodies but, really, everyone is paying attention to what they are doing even in the pool. If I could join the more expensive gym then I know my son would be able to swim year round but I just don't think that is an option financially at this point. Maybe if DH gets a job. Bally made the renewal only $98 a year so I think I'd be crazy to refuse that (the other club is $49 a month!).
Old 08-28-2004, 10:33 AM   #7  

Morning!

Barb Is that Bally's price just for renewals? I would love to join a gym, but so many are really expensive. I know several people who enjoy CUrves, but they are not "working mom" conducive. No childcare, not open on Sundays... I am hoping that this reain motivates me to get some housework done. Our house looks like a train wreck by Friday night!

Kristin You liked the Crockpot Chili? I may make that today. Sounds like the perfect dinner on a rainy day. You have GOT to try the PB Cup again- it is the bomb.

Sheila My bro and SIL live in Northern VA as well. Out in surburbia- South Riding.

Mama Sorry to hear about your work situation. I hope your new boss doesn't become too much of a handful.

Laurie Thank you for your kind words.

ME- I am just so dang glad that the weekend is here. School is good, just busy and stressful. We don't have much planned for the weekend- DH has to work both days. We hardly saw each other this past week, which stinks. Laundry, grading papers, and hanging out with DD are on the agenda for the day. I had a bit of extra money on this last paycheck due to a training I attended, so we bought her a bike last night. I can't stand "character" things, like Winnie the Pooh clothes, etc. She saw a Dora the Explorer bike and got so flipping excited, that my husband talked me into it. It is actually quite cute and is sitting in our living room right now b/c it is raining too hard to go outside.

Have a super weekend, I am looking forward to a mental break myself!
Old 08-28-2004, 10:43 AM   #8  

Good morning, Karen! Yes, that price is for renewals. I had paid the big price probably 13 or more years ago and often went 5 or 6 times a week. Once Brian was born it was harder to find the time and I let my membership lapse. They often run specials so you might check with whichever ones are close enough to you.

At least if you had to get a character bike, Dora is a great character. My son loves her show and likes a chance to practice what Spanish he knows. I think the start of school is stressful for everyone but especially for teachers.
Old 08-28-2004, 10:46 AM   #9  
RNMOM

Default Hello ladies

How are ya all? Sounds busy in your lives.

Mama, lets take our two favorite co-workers (I've got one too) and lock them in a room together. With any luck at all they will do themselves in!

Been MIA for a couple of days, too much going on, trying to get my head above water after having a few weeks of family, fun and no work. If I'm not busy enough my MIL is here to stay for the weekend. She needs a bit of care. I have to work 10-10 today so my hubby is going to have to do that.

Went for a run yesterday for the first time in 2 weeks, WOW, doesn't take much time to lose endurance. Going again this morning before I have to get ready for work. It will be a bear of a day. The nearby university starts school on Monday and 10,000 plus kids are moving into town. The grocery stores are packed to the gills. Yuk, I hate that.

I also start my university class on Tuesday. I can't believe at my age I'm going back to school again.

I hope you all get a nap today and someone comes over with a batch of calorie-free sugar free chocolate chip cookies just for you all cause you are all so great! Have a nice weekend.
Old 08-28-2004, 04:18 PM   #10  

Hello everyone.

Well afraid i am with Shelia I had a slice of Pizza lastnight too. My first one if about 2 months. It tasted so ggod but I stopped myself at one and a little glass of white wine. It was all yummy.

Went to Subway for luch today and had a wrap. They are pretty good only problem is I do not find them very filling. I think I am going to go cut some celefy up to have as a snack. Hubby and I are going on a Date night tonight so I need to be good!!:: But we are going to a fish place so staying OP should be easier.

Mama Sorry about you aork situation. That is always the worst!!
Wez- Hope you feel better.
Barb I know I want to join Lafetime too it sound so Fab. But alas it is expensive.

Shelia- Wasn't that pizza yummy.
Kiko- I am with you on the Character stuff. But sometime you just have to cave. Mine was a barbie sleeping bag.
Rnmom Good luck with school. And try to get some rest.

BFN
Old 08-28-2004, 04:37 PM   #11  
Conquering with SBD

Happy weekend,

Nothing much going on here except some pretty lousy weather. The forecast was for sunny all weekend, so we were planning on getting the out of control weeds into some semblance of order. We are also getting a new garage door, so needed to paint the trim before the door is installed...no such luck, just waaayy tooooo wet.

Sooo, hubby decided to clean up and install some light fixtures that were not finished when we renovated the laundry room. His day went something like this...broke one of the lenses on the fixtures, broke a bulb in the trouble light, broke a wire in the trouble light and now the whole thing doesn't work, shorted out the motion sensor switch, made a scratch on my wooden table and now he's getting ready to install them. Thank goodness, our fire insurance is paid up - he's an accident waiting for a place to happen today.

I spent the morning making WW pizza crusts today. I made up one pizza for lunch and it was nummy. I froze 10 more crusts, so it will be easy to dress them for quick suppers.

Mamacita - So sorry to hear about the boss. Organizations do themselves in when they allow their good employees to become so frustrated working for them, that they feel the need to walk off the job. Now you have a boss that is treating you like you don't have a brain in your head. I went through that a few years ago when we got a new manager in our department. I had been working at the same job for 12 years and when he came, he treated me like I was a new employee and didn't know anything. I had to prove myself all over again in very simplistic ways like knowing the difference in colors. In addition he manages by bullying, so it makes it that much more difficult. I stand up to him and frequently tell him off, but I'm the only one in the department who can handle him. I often tell DH that, just because I can handle him, doesn't make it a pleasant environment, nor is it the way that I like/want to work. There are many days that I would like to walk off the job, but I am so close to retirement, I just won't let the man jeopardize my pension. Soooo, I savour the times that he is on vacation, or away from work. Hope everything works out well with you. It will not be very pleasant if your new boss resents your relationship with the old one and brings the resentment into the work place. That makes it very difficult to do a good job.

Weezle - Sorry to hear that you are not feeling well. Hoping that you aren't coming down with something. Take care.

Barb - Don't worry about the membership...there will be a time that you will be able to take advantage. In the meantime, you still have a plan to keep fit that is within your budget. DH and I have always worked where there is a fitness centre and employees are able to access the centres free of charge. Sadly, though, we have not taken full advantage of the opportunities. However, when our children were small, we didn't feel that we could afford the time to work out...there were too many other commitments with the kids. So, I started buying fitness equipment from second had stores at a really cheap price and we used that for workouts after the kids went to bed. We actually have a gym down the basement even now...we use the equipment when we are too busy to get to the gym. It's not the best of the best equipment like at the fitness centres, but it is certainly enough to keep us fit.

Kristin - Hope the headache goes away soon. There is nothing worse than a migraine. I have only had one in my life that lasted almost 2 weeks. I couldn't even lift my head off the pillow. I wouldn't wish that on anyone.

Sheila - Congrats on staying OP. I knew that you could do it. Keep up the great work and have fun on your walk. I haven't done much today, so thought that, if we get a break in the rain, I may take puppy out today. I went walking with both of our dogs last week and one of the neighbour ladies down the street told me that they are both soooo well manored (this was happening as she was trying to catch her own lab and keep him from running out to the street to chase my dogs). She told me that when she walks her dog past our house, that our dogs just stand and watch her and never come running our to them or try to create a disturbance. She was so impressed. I just smiled and told her that we have an electronic fence, so they get a small buzz if they get close to the property line. Have fun looking at houses. Hope you find something that you like.

Kiko - Me, too. Glad that the weekend is here, but I am on call 24/7 for the next 9 days. I have to go in to work tomorrow for a while, even though it is the weekend. I know what you mean about character merchandise. The kids really love them, but it just seems like over kill on the merchandising. However, I think that, if children like the characters, it is important to make sure that they are crazy about the themes that have good and solid morals and values, and also some that teach along with the entertainment value of the show...not just total hype and glitz.

RNMOM - Good to hear that you are back on the road again after the detour over the past few weeks. I guess the good part about this is that you can get back at it right away. Everything should get back to normal now, even with the exercise and eating. Take care.

As I was typing this we just got a down pour...so no walking the puppy today. I had to go outside and haul her in the house cause she was caught in the rain. She's just soaked, so I started the fire for her and she's curled up in front.

I have been up about 2 pounds the end of this week. It is either that TOM, or something is dreadfully wrong with my metabolism. I have been exercising like crazy, eating predominantly Phase 1, with the odd carb added in once in a while, and I am gaining. I'll wait the weekend out to see how the weight gain/loss goes before I do anything drastic. Hope everyone is having a great OP day. Talk to all after the weekend.
Old 08-28-2004, 04:40 PM   #12  
Conquering with SBD

skher - We must have been posting at the same time. Have a good day, OP, and have a lot of fun on your date tonight. Take care.
Old 08-28-2004, 06:54 PM   #13  

I just got back from using my guest pass at Lifetime fitness. I love that place. I got to use all kinds of weight machines, stair step machines, treadmills, two types of stationary bikes and I tried both the indoor lap swimming pool and the outdoor lap swimming. My son would love the leisure pool and the slides. I think he would like the day care too. But alas, the registration fee is more than the annual renewal at Bally. Two months of the monthly fee would pay for a year at Bally. Oh, well, I had my fun and got in three hours of exercise.

And, Brian and Robert are talking about playing tennis so once we eat dinner I think we are heading over to try to teach Brian how to play.
Old 08-28-2004, 07:12 PM   #14  
Believe it & Achieve it

I have to write quickly as I am headed to work in just a few. I did'nt post yesterday because well, the day just stunk from the word go. My ex-husband showed up yeterday after 6 months of not talking to myself and the kids and demanded I give them over for his two weeks. I don't think so. we got into a pissing match more so on his end then mine. I finally slammed the door on his face and then he proceeded to yell to the whole neighborhood that I am a kidnapper. Uhm, o.k. See you in court buddy.

Then I went to take the kids to their healthy child check-ups. The kids were upset about their dad coming to yell at me and not to even say hi to them, but Dr. A is a wonderful man and he knows what the ex is like. He had them laughing in no time and me practically in tears when he informed me that DS did not really pass the hearing test (he's borderline) and that he has a heart murmur. I am told not to worry though, he will just monitor DS carefully.

Today my baby boy turned 6. We had a party and I even stayed OP, (which I did'nt yesterday and I am paying for today...bleh). The party was great though and everyone had a good time. All had a cupcake and I had an apple.

Now all is resting and I am off to work in about 5 min. But I wanted to check in and let everyone know that I am still reading and keeping up with everyone. Hi to all!

Last edited by 1busymomma; 08-28-2004 at 07:14 PM.
Old 08-28-2004, 08:49 PM   #15  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Sorry! I have been going flat out for the past two days and have not had a chance to post today! All is well - except I had leftover lasagna for breakfast! Church sale went well, scavenger hunt in the afternoon was a bust as it was just too darn hot but the BBQ chez Rob and John was great!

Now it's time for an early bed WITH the fan rinning as this house is hotter than it's been all summer!

Night all! zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
Closed Thread